• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrocious

It is huge and you should celebrate it, but you don't have to be a cock about it because chances are you're just being instigative towards people who have no ill feelings towards you, and most likely some that are supportive. (And I'm not saying you, Afrocious, I mean the ambiguous you)

I went to a highschool that was 95% black and I remember the day after Obama got elected people were going nuts celebrating, which is great, but I also had a huge number of people coming up to me and taunting me like "YEA WE PRESIDENT NOW! WHAT NOW?!" and I wanted the dude to get elected too, so they're being assholes to people on their side for no reason.

I wouldn't take it personally.

It's like when folks hate on straight men. I completely understand why and move on.

If you are a white, heterosexual male in America, there's so much that will easily work in your favor, that when folks are given something good and necessary, it's possible pleasantries are thrown out the window. But again, it's not personal.

Also, let's not talk about this subject within this thread.

Trey

I think probending dragged on only in that I would completely change the spirit of competition to a Korra centric episode. No probending, minimal shipping.

Daemul

This is a list of specialized bending techniques and their users. I was about to write an essay about why listing Astral Projection as a bending specialization for Jinora is wrong, and how many names are missing from the list, the next name on the list made me realise the joke.

YDBP0X6l.jpg

WpsnwMs.gif

DedValve

Banned
Is there fanart of Mormon Zaheer going door to door telling people about Guru Laghima? That needs to happen.

Korra doesn't have a last name. She'll have to by default. Or Asami could be Asami Avatar.

This is a list of specialized bending techniques and their users. I was about to write an essay about why listing Astral Projection as a bending specialization for Jinora is wrong, and how many names are missing from the list, the next name on the list made me realise the joke.

YDBP0X6l.jpg

WpsnwMs.gif

Astral projectiom is such bullshit lol.

Bloodbending and metalbending make sense. So does lightning to an extent.

Astral projection on the other hand...lol.

YDBP0X6l.jpg

WpsnwMs.gif
Korra and Kya know how to heal and Zuko and Iroh know lightning redirection, unless you're specifically referring to Iroh Jr. on this list.

Hamlet

It has now been over a week now since the finale popped up on Nick. Feels strange not having a new episode go up today.

I will never stop being baffled as to how many people think spiritual projection is an airbender technique. Yes, airbending culture was the most spiritual, next to the Water Tribe (They pretty much got their bending directly from the spirits and also possess spiritbending. Probably because of that connection) but Aiwei was a metalbender and he could spiritually project. Uncle Iroh was a firebender and he most likely could, along with Zaheer who was probably capable of doing so long before he acquired airbending. Jinora just happened to be a special case prodigy that got awakened and boosted due to Harmonic Convergence. Jinora told Kai it was a secret airbender technique most likely because she didn't want to actually explain it.

I will never stop being baffled as to how many people think spiritual projection is an airbender technique. Yes, airbending culture was the most spiritual, next to the Water Tribe (They pretty much got their bending directly from the spirits and also possess spiritbending. Probably because of that connection) but Aiwei was a metalbender and he could spirituall project. Jinora just happened to be a special case prodigy that got awakened and boosted due to Harmonic Convergence. Jinora told Kai it was a secret airbender technique most likely because she didn't want to actually explain it.

Ai Wei wasn't projecting, he was just entering the spirit world.

Ai Wei wasn't projecting, he was just entering the spirit world.

I would count that as projecting. You aren't fully entering and your body isn't there, just your spirit. Isn't that exactly what projecting your spirit is? Your spirit leaves your body? If only being able to do it in the real world is the case, then Aang and Jinora were the only people we've seen so far capable of doing it that weren't already spirits. The Beginnings retcon makes the Avatar effectively part spirit and Jinora is Aang's descendant (That may not count for anything, though).

Fuck, realizing that, Korra is also capable of spiritual projection. How else do you explain Spirit Korra? So that means, even if we're only counting real world projection the only people capable have been Avatars and native airbenders (I can't remember if Unalaq did it). And Jinora is an Avatar's descendant.

So that makes me curious as to how projection works? I would assume that one's "Cosmic Self" comes into play. Are you detaching yourself, and projecting that cosmic image? Just temporarily accessing that specific chakra?

Magwik

Banned
Something I was thinking about after watching the Christmas special is how Doctor Who is a kids show full and full, but at the same time it isn't. And even for a kids show the writers and network aren't afraid to have a same sex couple (even if they do eventually start beating you over the head with it, also inter-species too). But it just shows the tremendous difference in culture between the US and UK regarding television.

Something I was thinking about after watching the Christmas special is how Doctor Who is a kids show full and full, but at the same time it isn't. And even for a kids show the writers and network aren't afraid to have a same sex couple (even if they do eventually start beating you over the head with it, also inter-species too). But it just shows the tremendous difference in culture between the US and UK regarding television.

Doctor Who always came off as a general audience/family show more than anything to me. Then again, I haven't seen it. Still, you're not wrong.

After reading a lot of the posts it seems I'm one of the few that likes Korra more than Avatar...

Now that Korra as a series has ended I can only hope that the Korra game sold enough to warrant a full game sequel from Platinum Games. What are the chances they release a Korra figure? A Korra Kotobukiya figure... if only :(

Toa TAK

Banned
Korrasami deserves more!

Here is some Unalaq fanart to fill that void:
tumblr_mt4v8zqesK1qfrrfso1_500.png

tumblr_n2t0acSU1T1snsat0o1_1280.jpg

stickers__avatar_legend_of_korra_set_2_by_forte_girl7-d6ma9tz.png
How the fuck is Unalaq getting better fanart?

UNALAQ
IDK...it seems to me Season 1 still has the best image quality than the later seasons.

That Blu-Ray is fucking spectacular.

Others don't quite measure up.
I feel the same way after viewing each Blu-Ray. I don't expect Book 4 to be any better.

That's not to say 2-3 look bad. They're phenomenal, but Book 1 looked much better and that's probably due to the budget of the first book.

Mononoke

Banned
Book 1 had higher quality visuals for sure. The facial animations are more expressive too. I think because the show got better at animation and action, people don't realize that Book 1 had a higher fidelity.

I guess time limitations and budget cuts will do that to you.

I would count that as projecting. You aren't fully entering and your body isn't there, just your spirit. Isn't that exactly what projecting your spirit is? Your spirit leaves your body? If only being able to do it in the real world is the case, then Aang and Jinora were the only people we've seen so far capable of doing it that weren't already spirits. The Beginnings retcon makes the Avatar effectively part spirit and Jinora is Aang's descendant (That may not count for anything, though).

Fuck, realizing that, Korra is also capable of spiritual projection. How else do you explain Spirit Korra? So that means, even if we're only counting real world projection the only people capable have been Avatars and native airbenders (I can't remember if Unalaq did it). And Jinora is an Avatar's descendant.

So that makes me curious as to how projection works? I would assume that one's "Cosmic Self" comes into play. Are you detaching yourself, and projecting that cosmic image? Just temporarily accessing that specific chakra?

The Spirit World was really mysterious in TLA. As far as we knew, the only person other than Aang who could go there was Iroh, and even that was just hinted at.

In Korra they kind of jumbled everything up. Especially with the portals, it meant spirits could come into the human world? So Iroh could come back? Zuko could visit Iroh.

I feel like Bryke didn't really think these things through lol.

After reading a lot of the posts it seems I'm one of the few that likes Korra more than Avatar...

Now that Korra as a series has ended I can only hope that the Korra game sold enough to warrant a full game sequel from Platinum Games. What are the chances they release a Korra figure? A Korra Kotobukiya figure... if only :(

That reminds me, how well did the first game sell? I remember hearing rumors that Activision was considering trying to get a sequel in the works, but it was a vague rumor. Very vague, and it should probably be dismissed. Still, I do recall it being in the top 5 for Steam in the first week. Dunno how it did on other platforms. Also:

Af1Sw.gif

m_shortpants said:
The Spirit World was really mysterious in TLA. As far as we knew, the only person other than Aang who could go there was Iroh, and even that was just hinted at.

In Korra they kind of jumbled everything up. Especially with the portals, it meant spirits could come into the human world? So Iroh could come back? Zuko could visit Iroh.

I think the whole being able to visit Iroh thing isn't that out there. Remember what Yu said in The Swamp (ATLA Book 2)? He said "death is an illusion." I mean, if you become a spirit like Iroh when you die, then the portals open...I was just thinking about it and it's not that far-fetched to me. Maybe I'm being too much of an apologist.

Unless I missed something then I could have sworn that people generally acknowledge that season 1 had the best image quality whenever the topic arises.

There's something I find off about how the characters look in season 1 though compared to 3 at least. Maybe it's just certain faces that stick with me for whatever reason. I'll try to find some pics.

Edit: Yeah i'm probably just thinking of specific scenes that stand out to me

The birth of this came out of season 2, where both Mike & Bryke admitted they had no real idea what happened in its finale with respect to Jinora. I'm assuming this could easily apply to a lot things done in season 2, which includes astral projection.

Mononoke

Banned
Unless I missed something then I could have sworn that people generally acknowledge that season 1 had the best image quality whenever the topic arises.

There's something I find off about how the characters look in season 1 though compared to 3 at least. Maybe it's just certain faces that stick with me for whatever reason. I'll try to find some pics.

We are talking about the quality. There are things the show got better with as it went on. I think that includes drawing the charcters faces. But purely in terms of fidelity Book 1 looks the best.

We are talking about the quality. There are things the show got better with as it went on. I think that includes drawing the charcters faces. But purely in terms of fidelity Book 1 looks the best.

That's pretty much what I said.

Edit: Or I guess I didn't directly aknowledge that I thought season 1 did have the best quality in terms of animation and graphics, but yeah I think that as well.

That reminds me, how well did the first game sell? I remember hearing rumors that Activision was considering trying to get a sequel in the works, but it was a vague rumor. Very vague, and it should probably be dismissed. Still, I do recall it being in the top 5 for Steam in the first week. Dunno how it did on other platforms. Also:

Af1Sw.gif

All these are things I'd use as examples when I saw that Book 1 Korra could have beaten Kuvira in a 1v1.

Kuvira on her own just wan't menacing or scary as a villian.

All these are things I'd use as examples when I saw that Book 1 Korra could have beaten Kuvira in a 1v1.

Kuvira on her own just wan't menacing or scary as a villian.

Korra was still wrecked from being poisoned for years in the first fight though. But yeah I could see this Korra winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom