• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamlet

j6Tzbbq.jpg

Cosplay progress!

Now deal with it!
Looks great.

So I just started watching Clarance on Cartoon Network and just saw the "Jeff Wins" episode, and now I'm wondering what if Legend of Korra was on Cartoon Network, would there be more to that ending?

Probably not as earlier in the season CN had already censored a kiss between a gay couple on the show. KIds Networks still seem to be quite skittish in depicting a kiss between same sex couples or even having them in a show.
Still pretty awesome what Clarence did.

TrutaS

Good season overall, but season 2 would have been (if cranky Korra was replaced with the new wiser one) a better, more epic final season. The stakes were just higher and the prologue chapters would have been more impactful.

I think overall they took too long to make Korra grow up as a person, and the show suffered greatly all throughout. Still, it's a shame that it is over, I wish some other channel (who is not as obsessed with merchandising) would pick it up.

tkscz

Good season overall, but season 2 would have been (if cranky Korra was replaced with the new wiser one) a better, more epic final season. The stakes were just higher and the prologue chapters would have been more impactful.

I think overall they took too long to make Korra grow up as a person, and the show suffered greatly all throughout. Still, it's a shame that it is over, I wish some other channel (who is not as obsessed with merchandising) would pick it up.

You have to understand, Nick was dicking these guys around from the get go.

Took them some convincing just to get season 1 off the ground, and even then, that was supposed to be it, they were told season 1 was where it was stopping. I still assume that Nick had low hopes for a continuation with a female protagonist would do any good, even though it was a continuation of one of their most successful series. When the show proved successful, low and behold Nick gave them 3 more seasons.

Season 2 was unexpected and rushed. It was epic and introduced some of the best characters (Eska and Verick), but they had to start all over with several characters (with Lynn and Korra getting the worse ends of that stick) and had to get through that messy first quarter of the season.

Season 3 was a much needed improvement in terms of story, but this is when Nick started dicking around with their budget, and eventually forced them to be online only. The season was still amazing, giving us the best villain in the serious (though not the most epic).

Season 4 is where Nick showed how much of dicks they can be. We lost a full episode due to budget cuts. A full freaking episode was replaced by a clip show because Nick just up and decided, well it's not spongebob, so lets cut their budget while their working.

This series had quite and up hill battle, and still came out amazing in the end.

Neo Dark

Took them some convincing just to get season 1 off the ground, and even then, that was supposed to be it, they were told season 1 was where it was stopping. I still assume that Nick had low hopes for a continuation with a female protagonist would do any good, even though it was a continuation of one of their most successful series. When the show proved successful, low and behold Nick gave them 3 more seasons.

Season 2 was unexpected and rushed. It was epic and introduced some of the best characters (Eska and Verick), but they had to start all over with several characters (with Lynn and Korra getting the worse ends of that stick) and had to get through that messy first quarter of the season.

Season 3 was a much needed improvement in terms of story, but this is when Nick started dicking around with their budget, and eventually forced them to be online only. The season was still amazing, giving us the best villain in the serious (though not the most epic).

Season 4 is where Nick showed how much of dicks they can be. We lost a full episode due to budget cuts. A full freaking episode was replaced by a clip show because Nick just up and decided, well it's not spongebob, so lets cut their budget while their working.

This series had quite and up hill battle, and still came out amazing in the end.
Pretty much. Though you got the season thing mixed up. Nick only ordered two seasons. Originally it was one but then later ordered a second one. Each season consisted of 26 episodes which was later divided into 13 episode books. Season one had books 1 and 2 and season 2 was books 3 and 4. The ending of book 2 was originally planned as the series finale because that was the final episode of the season nick ordered.

Is Lex Luthor Light Yagami? Regarding Eska vs Opal. Opal was pretty much intended to be a Mary Sue I believe. She's not really flawed, she's adorable, nice and puts up with everything, though granted the last season showed she can be pretty abrasive and moody. Eska's just really awkward and probably the most socially maladjusted person to grace the show. She's domineering and possessive and it seems like she wouldn't allow Bolin to do much of everything without her being with him. Granted I think that relationship would help her come to terms with herself. So from a narrative perspective watching her transform into someone more open as a person would be pretty nice. It would have to be written properly. Opal was just easier to write as a relationship. Besides it's sort of implied that Eska and Desna do everything together...have fun with that Bolin.

Daemul

About to begin my book 4 marathon with my best bud. Can't wait to see his reaction to Korrasami. :3

A marathon? Damn. I remember having to marathon LoK book 1 since I started watching the series just before book 2 aired, and I ended up going through so many different emotions in those ~5 hours. From excitement, to intrigue, to anger, back to intrigue, to sadness, back to anger and then to pure rage lol.

Seriously, fuck book 1.

DedValve

Banned
I feel like Zaheer should have been in the season a lot more as a spiritual/psychological mentor/comrade to Korra. With far better writing. Not that they would be cracking many jokes, but she would secretly go to him for perspective and guidance. He would help her work through her issues, so much so in fact that by the end she sees his own flaws (ego-centrism, extremism, hubris, ultimately on some level trying to use her for himself) and humbles him in turn. She might even free him in the end, allowing him to spend the rest of his days 'letting the world be'. Part of this reversal could also come about because it is revealed that Vaatu somehow was responsible for his transformation into an Air Bender, and some of his incredible (what seemed as) natural skill from the outset.

Book 4: After his failure to kill her, he realizes that he was operating on instinct from prior to his true enlightenment (once he learned to fly) and that Korra herself was not the power structure to be removed, she was there to remove power structures that became corrupt and exploited the people. Her inability to fulfill her function is his new Earthly tether brought on by his own failure to understand, and his new responsibility.

His brand of absolute freedom was in fact destined to create anarchy, and then oppression. People can not be truly free unless they are given the means to achieve it within themselves (while having the means to do so), as he did mostly through his prolonged isolation. It was his spiritual maturity and alignment that gifted him with Air Bending when the words stayed joined.

He now sees Korra as an instrument leading the world to freedom and harmony.

She survived him, now he feels responsible for her, and to some degree he refuses to allow the woman that survived him to not recover from the state he put her in. She will be everything she must be to be worthy of her victory over him and he will attempt to use her to full fill his dream and in some way validate and absolve him from everything he has been.

EDIT:

- "I say your power is limitless" would have been a lot less stilted if he had also revealed that the poison had been used to kill a previous avatar(s?). It should have killed her MUCH faster than it did and even then in the avatar state she shouldn't have been strong enough to do what she did. When he was running away from her when she was in the Avatar state, he wasn't even sure if it was still working.

All right time to start up a new game. Everytime I come across a post that has a cooler story than the one we got in any of the 4 books I'll take a shot of Jack Daniels.

if I actually enforce this I'll be out of a kidney by days end.

A-V-B

I feel like Zaheer should have been in the season a lot more as a spiritual/psychological mentor/comrade to Korra. With far better writing. Not that they would be cracking many jokes, but she would secretly go to him for perspective and guidance. He would help her work through her issues, so much so in fact that by the end she sees his own flaws (ego-centrism, extremism, hubris, ultimately on some level trying to use her for himself) and humbles him in turn. She might even free him in the end, allowing him to spend the rest of his days 'letting the world be'. Part of this reversal could also come about because it is revealed that Vaatu somehow was responsible for his transformation into an Air Bender, and some of his incredible (what seemed as) natural skill from the outset.

Book 4: After his failure to kill her, he realizes that he was operating on instinct from prior to his true enlightenment (once he learned to fly) and that Korra herself was not the power structure to be removed, she was there to remove power structures that became corrupt and exploited the people. Her inability to fulfill her function is his new Earthly tether brought on by his own failure to understand, and his new responsibility.

His brand of absolute freedom was in fact destined to create anarchy, and then oppression. People can not be truly free unless they are given the means to achieve it within themselves (while having the means to do so), as he did mostly through his prolonged isolation. It was his spiritual maturity and alignment that gifted him with Air Bending when the words stayed joined.

She survived him, now he feels responsible for her, and to some degree he refuses to allow the woman that survived him to not recover from the state he put her in. She will be everything she must be to be worthy of her victory over him and he will attempt to use her to full fill his dream and in some way validate and absolve him from everything he has been.

EDIT:

- "I say your power is limitless" would have been a lot less stilted if he had also revealed that the poison had been used to kill a previous avatar(s?). It should have killed her MUCH faster than it did and even then in the avatar state she shouldn't have been strong enough to do what she did. When he was running away from her when she was in the Avatar state, he wasn't even sure if it was still working.

Just hire all the posters at NeoGAF, Nickeledeon. We'll write your shows for you! lol

wildfire

Banned
While we're all talking about which books are better, I think it would be interesting to try and rewrite the series to make each book live up to it's potential. Tell me if you guys think this is a good outline. There are problems with it, but I think it would be cool if the show had been similar. I don't really intend on expanding it or making any fan fiction. Share your own ideas as well!

Book 1 Air: Keep this book mostly the same, take out some of the love triangle stuff, add lesbian tension, wipe the last 5 minutes off of the face of the earth.

Main Villain: Amon Secondary Villains: Tarrlok and Hiroshi​

Book 2 Balance: The book starts with Korra undergoing spiritual training with Tonraq's brother.

Main Villain: Kuvira Secondary Villains: Earth Queen and Dai Lee
Book 3 Change: Basic story is the same, but the Red Lotus is changed slightly. Lineup is Ming Hua, Ghazan, P’li, and… Unalaq!
Main Villain: Red Lotus​

Book 4 Spirits: Much like the original Book 4, a large amount of time has passed.

Main Villain: Vaatu Victim of Tentacle Seduction: Unalaq

Of course, I skipped a lot of stuff, Tenzin, Lin, Mako, Bolin, Jinora, most of the Beifongs, Varrick, Zhu Li, Asami, Bumi, Kya, Ikki, Meelo, Kai (lol), Raiko, and Izumi are hardly mentioned. They'd be there though. Any thoughts?

This is pretty cool and logically consistent within the framework of Korra but I feel it messes up the build p about Spirits.

Personally what I would do is.

Book 1

Korra - unchanged as a character
Bolin - unchanged. This version of Bolin is the one we get for the remaining 3 books.
Tenzin - unchanged.
Mako - Falls in love with Asami but isn't into Korra. Otherwise unchanged.
Asami - Her decision to stand against her father is now pushed forward into the main storyline.
Chief Beifong - Unchanged.
Sato- Unchanged
Tarlok - Unchanged.
Amon - He isn't a water bender any more. It is through his experiences with his father trying to push Tarlok into being something he isn't that puts him on the path of creating the equalist movement. He learns how to overcome blood bending and is given the power from a Lion Turtle how to lock away bending.
Lieutenant-We get his name in Book 2.
Tenzin's family - Unchanged
Triad - Bigger presence in the story. They will be divided into distinct factions that gets across how crime is an extension of the will of people who are being held back by current societal constraints.
Equalists - They won't disband after it is discovered Amon has been partially lying to them. They will be a major faction in book 2.
Meka Tanks - Gone.
Fire Nation - Bigger presence in this story as well.

Korra will have a 16 episode format.

Book 2
Konraq - (spelling?) He won't be a water tribe king in exile but he will be a simple man that rises up to a leadership position due to Unalaq's various missteps.
Unalaq - Only child. Very spiritual person who successfully bridges the spirit world and human world. Biggest fuck ups are how he raises his children and misunderstands Vaatu.
Vaatu - Isn't generic evil but a representation of unbridled passion and spontaneity unlike Raava who is more empathic and thoughtful.
Lion Turtle - Actual direct role. Will assist Korra after Vaatu and Unalaq merge.
Ju Li and Varrick - Largely unchanged but no movers sequence.(maybe)
Bumi and Kaya - Mostly unchanged but the tweaks will be significant for Book 3.
Equalists - Regrowth in power and they are now establishing a presence throughout all the kingdoms. Still mostly Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation but they will spread through the water nation due to Unalaq starting a civil war.
Triad - Shattered midway through this book resolving any ties they have with the Equalist movement.

Book 3
3-4 Spirits are now fully featured actors in the show. I'm not going to put much thought in what role they should fill since this will never be made.
Kai-Mostly unchanged. Just minor tweaks.
Kaya - Isn't a throw away character.
The Red Lotus - Definitely some modifications though I'm unsure of what things I would fix.
The royal family - Show more than the earth queen in order to set up Book 4 properly.

Book 4.
Total reboot. Discard everything about it and do a different story.

Just hire all the posters at NeoGAF, Nickeledeon. We'll write your shows for you! lol

Maybe we should do an Indiegogo? It would be more flexible funding wise than Kickstarter. I would seriously consider helping handling the finances of such a fan project.

A-V-B

Combining "Zaheer as Mentor" with "Unalaq/Vaatu as Antagonist in Book 4" would be bloody fucking brilliant, by the way.

Also, that way you could have Korra lose her connection to the avatars halfway through the season, then get them back in the series finale.

A-V-B

With that Kuvira in Book 2 thing, you could rename the books to this...

Book 1: Air
Book 2: Order
Book 3: Chaos
Book 4: Balance

And it would kinda make sense

Daemul

Yo guys, I tried watching Young Justice last night, and I thought it was very interesting an....
chansub-global-emoticon-1ddcc54d77fc4a61-28x28.png

Nah, it was alright. I did fall asleep half way through the pilot, though whether it was from boredom or tiredness from a busy Christmas I'm not sure lol. The show really didn't grab my attention, since I'm not really a fan of comic book hero cartoons, with the exception of Batman Beyond, I usually give up on them a couple of episodes in.

I'll try and stick out YJ though, since there is some very good potential there.

Astral Dog

I don't think Nick was that bad, for all the things they did, Nickelodeon didn't drop the Avatar series when it failed to sell toys, they could had cancelled it after Book 2 or 3, but they gave it 4 seasons, even got a place to air the last episodes on TV, other action shows would not had been so lucky.

Korra's so lucky she didn't have to try to mentally outmaneuver Lex Luthor and Vandal Savage, cause god damn their prep time and speed chess is too good.
Yo guys, I tried watching Young Justice last night, and I thought it was very interesting an....
chansub-global-emoticon-1ddcc54d77fc4a61-28x28.png

Nah, it was alright. I did fall asleep half way through the pilot, though whether it was from boredom or tiredness from a busy Christmas I'm not sure lol. The show really didn't grab my attention, since I'm not really a fan of comic book hero cartoons, with the exception of Batman Beyond, I usually give up on them a couple of episodes in.

I'll try and stick out YJ though, since there is some very good potential there.
You should be fine after like the first 5 I think. After the setup eps are done it starts to pick up pretty well.

Daemul

Holy shit, I was looking through the profile of that artist who drew the amazing Korrasami family portrait and who made the now legendary Korrasami is canon video, and I found that she took part in a fan project called Project Voicebend, a fan made, comedy voice over of episodes in theseries.

I've been watching the videos and their slaying me, god damn.

Project Voicebend

The end of episode 1 nearly made me choke on my dinner.

Holy shit, I was looking through the profile of that artist who drew the amazing Korrasami family portrait and who made the now legendary Korrasami is canon video, and I found that she took part in a fan project called Project Voicebend, a fan made, comedy voice over of episodes in theseries.

Project Voicebend

Dabbles in drawing, video editing and abridged series voice acting? Truly a interwebz renaissance lady.

360pages

Opal is just so...boring, she wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have Asami to fill the nice girl role.

Eska may have been somewhat crazy, but at least she felt like she had somewhat of a character outside of being Bolin's girlfriend.

360pages

It's easy to make a nice character likeable, make them somewhat goofy, or somewhat absent minded. But Opal isn't any of these things, plus Bolin is dumb enough to fill the stupidity of two people.

I think if we were to redo season 2, I would keep Varrek as one of the background villians. He had some swag when he was scheming his little plot.

Daemul

Opal annoyed the hell out of me. She was made a member of cast just to become Bolin's love interest, and when she fulfilled her role, she became as useless as Kai. She's the very perfect example of Bryke bloating the series by adding in unnecessary characters who serve an extremely minor purpose and are then completely redundant, but for some reason are made recurring characters when their part in the story is long done.

Those sort of characters are fine in 20+ episode seasons, but they have no place in 13 episode, 22 minute long seasons, no place whatsoever.

Opal annoyed the hell out of me. She was made a member of cast just to become Bolin's love interest, and when she fulfilled her role, she became as useless as Kai. She's the very perfect example of Bryke bloating the series by adding in unnecessary characters who serve an extremely minor purpose and are then completely redundant, but for some reason are made recurring characters when their part in the story is long done.

Those sort of characters are fine in 20+ episode seasons, but they have no place in 13 episode, 22 minute long seasons, no place whatsoever.
You can get rid of 50% of the cast and the overall plot really wouldn't change much.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam

Project Voicebend

Eh, that was actually not bad.

Wish GanXingba would return to doing avatar stuff. His shit was at times amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLkQfmUEyvk

wildfire

Banned

I would say Nickelodeon dicking around with episode contracts hurt the planning done for the show. They had a basic idea of how to use Aang's and Tophs descendents and they all were mishandled. These guys are good at fleshing out various characters. I refuse to believe Aang era Avatar was a fluke.

EDIT:

A lot of this is good, but the bolded doesn't work because if the poison had succeeded in killing a past avatar, it would have ended the Avatar line. Poison = avatar state to fight it off = death while in avatar state if the poison succeeds = end of avatar line. Zaheer explained this in season 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom