• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrocious

90 pages, WTF?!

The power of Korrasami.

Yup. This repost is relevant:

GioMFYI.jpg

360pages

Legit, I wouldn't mind an Avatar Series in the same Vain as Earthbound. I guess you could say that the first ATLA did that in a way.

plucked_goat

Neo Member
I should have posted my thoughts on the finale of Korra (and season 4 as a whole) much earlier, but this is what the final year of a university degree does to you.

Anyway, whereas I usually feel a bit dejected after the ending of a show I enjoy (Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, ATLA etc.), with Korra I had a sort of empty feeling after the finale. I thought the last two episodes were fine, but I had a sort of empty feeling after the finale, which I think was caused by the fact that while I felt there was no closure for many of the characters, there were too many characters who were not fleshed out enough as characters, in my opinion, for me to be too annoyed about a lack of closure for them. I felt that while you had the central character of Korra, obviously, the others seemed to have two-episode stints of relevance before being shunted to the side for the five or six episodes (or longer in some cases).

Series 4, in particular, had too many characters for the amount of time they had, I believe. Don't get me wrong, however, I felt season 4 was good overall. I especially enjoyed Korra's character arc this series; Korra's journey to regain her physical abilities and confidence and accept and learn from her suffering was completed over multiple stages, arduous, and took time to occur. And as a big fan of Boardwalk Empire, I quite enjoy and am used to slow-burning storylines/character development.

But series 4's biggest weakness was Kuvira. I don't mean that in the sense that Kuvira was always doomed to be a terribly dull character, but the transformation of Kuvira to a power-hungry despot was handled terribly. It is fine for characters to evolve during a skip forward (or devolve if you go backwards, I guess) in time, if that evolution is in keeping with what we know of the characters beforehand; if a character has a change in personality that is not in keeping with what has been shown of them before, then the writers, directors etc. owe it to the audience to explain why this unexpected change has occurred. To me, it was never explained well enough how and why Kuvira went from being a captain of Zaofu's city guard (and member of Suyin's dance troupe) to an evil tyrant who imprisons anybody she disagrees with, and who attempts to subjugate or kill anyone who gets in her way.

Kuvira's struggles as a child could well have been a good reason for some of her excesses in power, if it had been given more time throughout the season to demonstrate why Kuvira did what she did for something she generally believed was for the greater good. But when you have a character who is throwing people in re-education camps because they are firebenders or waterbenders, then it takes more than a couple of sentences about how your parents didn't love you to make you a sympathetic villain.

Take Zaheer, for instance. Sure, he wanted to kill Korra in series 3, but that was in line with his core beliefs for a future where people were free of tyranny. Zaheer, rightly or wrongly, wanted a future where people were free to make their own choices without the restrictions placed, through laws and customs, by either an autocrat or an elected leader. The Avatar, as someone who can bend all four elements and go into the Avatar state, is, theoretically (although the events of Beginnings suggest that the idea of an "evil" reincarnation of Korra is impossible), an entity that has the means to impose their ideals onto others. Therefore, the concept of an Avatar clashed completely with Zaheer's vision of the ideal future, and so, in his mind, it was a necessary, if unpalatable, measure to take, and it is one that does not, in my opinion, render Zaheer a villain who is evil "for the sake of being evil".

Finally, with Korrasami, I have no problems with the idea of Korrasami (certainly better than going with Makorra after their incompatibility was showcased in season 2). What I do question, however, is whether we have seen enough interaction over the duration of the show to justify Korra and Asami developing romantic feelings for each other. I would say the same if they went for Makorra or Mako/Asami etc. Actually, I would go further and question whether enough over the show to demonstrate why Mako, Korra, Bolin and Asami are actually friends? Sure, Aang, Katara, Sokka and Toph met through luck and circumstance, but over the course of ATLA you can see why they become a close-knit group of friends. Personally, I can't say the same for their counterparts in Korra.

The Legend of Korra has had some great moments, and I will always think of it overall as being a good but flawed show, with some missteps but, in series 3, a wonderful, tense and thrilling high-point. Also Jeremy Zuckerman's score was utterly brilliant throughout.

Sorry for the wall of text!

I disagree with the thought they loved each other by the end. That seems the biggest gripe with the anti korrasami group. They are looking for proof that I agree isn't there. The ending was simply the acknowldegement and a continuation of the feelings that had blossomed over the past few years, signs of which i do think are present. Distance makes the heart grow fonder and all that.

I'm so fucking late but whatever. Bring on the fanart.

Constant fear of drawing something shitty. Same thing with writing. Though I used to love doing both back in college.

Well you won't draw anything good until you keep doing it. Not necessary to put every single thing you draw out in a public forum. I personally dislike it when people share every single thing they do.

Back on the sky bison train: I mean, back in ATLA, Everyone seemed to know what Appa was, despite most likely being extinct for well over 75 years. That's a rough estimate, but it's likely.

360pages

Constant fear of drawing something shitty. Same thing with writing. Though I used to love doing both back in college.

Well, I'm still writing shitty stuff, even now. I think I've gotten a hell of a lot better. But I was probably at the very bottom when I first started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom