• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

LotusHD

Banned
People should also temper their expectations because media outlets have lauded almost every Zelda that came out after OoT as one of the bestest Zeldas.

I rather let people do what they want, whether it be getting hyped or tempering it. If it all crashes and burns later, oh well lol

phanphare

Banned
Not to blow things out of proportion or anything, but most if not all preview videos I've seen of BotW have very noticeable drops in areas with a lot of grass and trees, etc. Not game-breaking, but noticeable. Doesn't seem to be quite as rare as some think.

the thing is that the same people showing the framerate problems in video previews are the same ones saying that they are a rarity and show up less as the game goes on

Scrawnton

Well our definitions of extended obviously differ and I'm not claiming that the frame drops are worse than in other games.

I just think Nintendo first party titles should be held to a higher standard because they have always been perfectly optimized in the past. I also think that more noise should be made about it so Nintendo tries extra hard to fix it.

I never understood apologists for poor frame rate. I think it's a large part of the reason that devs don't focus enough on performance these days - because people don't complain enough about it.

I get what you're saying. But I think the only 3d Zelda game I played where I don't remember any kind of frame drop is Skyward Sword. (I'm not counting the hd remakes of WW and TP). Zelda had been one of Nintendos few franchises that has been prone to frame drops in the past.

To me, though, if that first video is the worst it gets in Zelda (which looks like a pretty complex open world compared to other games) then that is fantastic to me compared to the other open world sandbox console games I've played in the past.

phanphare

Banned
also the previews mentioned that framerate issues happened more in the beginning of the game on the plateau specifically and became rarer as the game went on. because all of the video footage we've seen is of the first 5 hours of the game it makes sense that the framerate issues would seem more frequent to us because we're watching a bunch of footage of the same areas.

Branduil

Well our definitions of extended obviously differ and I'm not claiming that the frame drops are worse than in other games.

I just think Nintendo first party titles should be held to a higher standard because they have always been perfectly optimized in the past. I also think that more noise should be made about it so Nintendo tries extra hard to fix it.

I never understood apologists for poor frame rate. I think it's a large part of the reason that devs don't focus enough on performance these days - because people don't complain enough about it.

Ocarina of Time literally ran at 20fps at best when it came out.

Did you ever play the N64?

In an unrelated note:

Anyone worried about Zelda's music should know that -- according to this game music enthusiast -- there is plenty of terrific stuff in here.

If you're concerned about the soundtrack for some reason - stop.

Biocoincoin

Neo Member
also the previews mentioned that framerate issues happened more in the beginning of the game on the plateau specifically and became rarer as the game went on.

I wonder : could this be due to the fact that the central area is the place that requires the game to actually render the most, while moving closer to the edges of the map, the game becomes less and less hardware consuming, due to the fact that draw distance is fixed and less parts of the game are actually rendered/simulated ?

The Third Heat

Neo Member

Devs care about performance, guaranteed.

Deadlines in the AAA space, however, do not.

I don't think a single Zelda game managed to have perfectly consistent framerate actually.

I thought DF found that while TP HD had frame dips with heavy fog (mainly that purple mist in Faron Woods), the original never had frame dips? Maybe I'm mis-remembering.

EDIT: Just checked the article, and they said "near-perfect 30 fps". Guess I was wrong.

Xdrive05

It's kind of amazing that the N64 games worked so well with that framerate. I never felt it was inadequate to convey the action or to play well. I guess the pacing was slow enough for it to not be a problem?

Anyway, BotW Switch version should be fine, as the issues seem to strangely be on the starting area by and large, and never inhibit the gameplay.

I still wonder if we could get a docked boost mode at some point which would alleviate it?

Edit: Edge said the Wii-U version faired worse in framerate. I'm curious if it's just the same areas with lower dips, or if it happens elsewhere too?

RPGCrazied

This is going to be the longest week of my life. I really hope DF gets it early so we can see how the Wii U version compares to the Switch other than resolution.

vareon

You'll just have to accept that--at least today--not that much people care too much about performance. Locker 60 FPS is obviously better but when there are slowdowns, people are just like "meh, it's video game".

The Lamp

I agree, but Skyward Bored also had a dull screen.

I don't think anything will top Ocarina Of Times one though, that title screen just screams "Get ready to be moved".

TP and WW's were GOAT.

TP had that horseback scene leading up to the wolf howling at the Twilight Realm with the music build up. Amazing.

WW just had it's charming theme song play over island footage ^_^

That may very well be, and I agree it would be nice if it was locked (hell 60fps would be nice) but there's only so much polishing a developer can do before they need to ship the game. And honestly, as a gamer, I would much rather play the game sooner with some frame drops then have to wait until who knows when to play it with a completely locked 30fps.

That said, Nintendo has addressed framerate in patches before so let's hope they do for this game too.

iFirez

SS Bokoblins are fine. They're certainly far better than the atrocities in Twilight Princess

I agree, mostly. The TP Bokoblins fit the aesthetic fine but their design just wasn't good (like you say) and compared to some of the stellar enemy design in TP they really stood out. I also think the SS Bokoblins were fine and fit that game's overall jovial design aesthetics for monsters. I honestly think that the BoTW Bokoblins may be my favourite though. They look like a Gremlin fell in a pot of red pain and is really pissed off about it. (Still holding onto some of that Gremlin cuteness too)

So glad Horizon comes out tonight. Will help with the wait for Zelda! Hopefully tbe dungeons in horizon are good, theyre my favorite thing in zelda, and the lack of dungeon focus makes me sad.

Kinsei

Banned
The Wind Waker Bokoblins also look really good. Their design perfectly sold that they were pirate goblins.

I think BotW will end up having my favorite enemy designs in the series. I especially love the designs of the lizalfos (they were in a trailer so this isn't a spoiler).

So glad Horizon comes out tonight. Will help with the wait for Zelda! Hopefully tbe dungeons in horizon are good, theyre my favorite thing in zelda, and the lack of dungeon focus makes me sad.

Yeah the idea that you can push through the
dungeons, none of which are traditional Zelda dungeons and then move to the end game in about
hours is making me a bit sad. I understand that it's going to be a brilliant game but Zelda dungeons are some of my favourite moments in gaming and as amazing as the game will be, I'm going to miss them.

dungeons, none of which are traditional Zelda dungeons and then move to the end game in about
hours is making me a bit sad. I understand that it's going to be a brilliant game but Zelda dungeons are some of my favourite moments in gaming and as amazing as the game will be, I'm going to miss them.

You can easily push through OoT's main quest in that amount of time. BotW is loaded with dozens of hours of extra content.

Greddleok

You can easily push through OoT's main quest in that amount of time. BotW is loaded with dozens of hours of extra content.

Yup, I hadn't played OoT for like 12 years when I got it on the 3DS. I finished that game in under 20 hours, no problem.
Yeah I knew what I was doing for the most part, but it's not like I remembered everything.

Zelda without bloat is the best Zelda. Fucking TP is so boring. WW is great, but that end triforce quest is just a time waster.

Hopefully this will be a Zelda with meaningful side content.

Aye but that includes nine proper dungeons. I'm not saying that I'm against BOTW's extra content or that ditching the traditional dungeon format is bad, just that I will miss them.

Listonosh

They're good, but I would never really place them on the level of Zelda dungeons, they're mostly all pretty straight forward with very few light puzzle solving segments. They all differ from one another which is great, and to keep it spoiler free i won't discuss how that is, but that's definitely one of their strengths.

Aye but that includes nine proper dungeons. I'm not saying that I'm against BOTW's extra content or that ditching the traditional dungeon format is bad, just that I will miss them.

I was mainly commenting on your implication that
20 hours
seems short for a main quest in Zelda.

So game over Jesse prefaced a video with a spoiler warning citing the 5 hours no story shit, then proceeded to drop info clearly from story sections of the game

Just a heads up

Seems like most of the stuff coming out now is people braking embargo and more detailed impressions that go over what we've already seen.

Well what are they saying? How are the dungeons? The mini games? Are there MM like side quests dealing with NOC schedules and stuff?

I agree, but Skyward Bored also had a dull screen.

I don't think anything will top Ocarina Of Times one though, that title screen just screams "Get ready to be moved".

The music that went with Ocarina of Time's title screen was so good, was kind of sad too. Majora's Mask title screen felt the right amount of unsettling.

These look like grandmas.

hqdefault.jpg

Is there no other way to get the amiibo benefits without buying money, such as the
wolf companion
?

And once I scan it (I'm assuming you scan it for Switch) do I have to keep the physical amiibo with me whenever I want to use it?

jariw

The idea would also mean:
* You know where the dungeons are located
* You skip most of the story
* You skip 116 mini dungeons (the 4 on the Big Plateau are required)
* You'll probably have no good weapons or armor during the end game
* You will reach the end game with 3 hearts and default stamina

I wonder where Nintendo will go with 3D Zelda after BotW.. Will people accept traditional smaller scope linear 3D Zeldas after BotW? I feel like one upping this kind of Zelda sequel after sequel won't be sustainable.

Branduil

I just realized one enemy I haven't seen in any preview is Deku Babas. Not that I would mind them being gone, their schtick is really played out at this point.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'm expecting the few traditional dungeons in this game to be damn good. If there's not a lot of them, then I expect big things from the ones that are there.

I wonder where Nintendo will go with 3D Zelda after BotW.. Will people accept traditional smaller scope linear 3D Zeldas after BotW? I feel like one upping this kind of Zelda sequel after sequel won't be sustainable.

Probably a better mix of traditional and this open world zelda if people are upset about the way the structure of the game is.

Top Bottom