• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

jariw

I wonder where Nintendo will go with 3D Zelda after BotW.. Will people accept traditional smaller scope linear 3D Zeldas after BotW? I feel like one upping this kind of Zelda sequel after sequel won't be sustainable.

The next step is Zelda DLC.

BTW, anyone thinking that the holiday part of the DLC will get delayed?

probably the best video game trailer I've ever seen, especially the live one from the presentation with japanese vo and english subs

Yeah I'm still trying to get over the english VO. I'm fine with it, but I have never been as close to the point of crying over a game trailer as I was when Zelda cried in the Japanese VO trailer.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I wonder where Nintendo will go with 3D Zelda after BotW.. Will people accept traditional smaller scope linear 3D Zeldas after BotW? I feel like one upping this kind of Zelda sequel after sequel won't be sustainable.

It does create a precedent that likely will be difficult to follow. But I'm also one of the few that has been disappointed in most every Zelda sequel since the original NES. WW, TP, and SS especially so. They have long had a history of funneling the key components of the franchise foundations into vacuous sludge that is readily accessible, can certainly happen again.

I very much expect a small-scale 2d-seque portable like adventure(possibly 3ds/switch both) to be next up for the franchise. Can also imagine the end of the Switch lifespan getting a direct sequel to BotW with more expansive content, tools, enemies, dungeons, etc... Long before they consider a wholly new entry. The success of BotW wont be ignored by them if it heralds Ocarina levels of adoration among global consumers.

phanphare

Banned
Yeah I'm still trying to get over the english VO. I'm fine with it, but I have never been as close to the point of crying over a game trailer as I was when Zelda cried in the Japanese VO trailer.

yeah that trailer definitely hit me in the feels

Should I be concerned that Best Buy is still showing my pre-order as "awaiting authorization?"

My Switch pre-order is already in the "preparing" stage, but not the game.

this is how mine is too, I did it for in store pick up

Kinsei

Banned

I nearly burst out laughing when Zelda was crying the Japanese trailer. Needless to say I prefer the English dub. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

When does the review embargo end?

Thursday at 3AM PT

Pinky

Banned
zelda4.jpg

Should I be concerned that Best Buy is still showing my pre-order as "awaiting authorization?"

I pre-ordered the game last week and mine is preparing. I'm sure it's fine though, maybe give them a call to be 100 percent sure. It's shipping to you right?

Probably. They wouldn't let somebody take the Switch & Zelda for that long if they weren't prepping for a review.

Jose Otero is penning the review.

Same. The Switch is being shipped as that was the only option available when I pre-ordered, but I did in-store pick up for Zelda.

Maybe since it's not being shipped they don't charge you until release day?

Both my Switch and Zelda are being shipped to my home. The Switch is in the "Preparing" stage. The game is not. None of us are getting Zelda on Friday
Kidding. I think

I nearly burst out laughing when Zelda was crying the Japanese trailer. Needless to say I prefer the English dub. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Thursday at 3AM PT

That's so interesting. I mean I went through a huge range of emotions from uncomfortableness to tears in that moment, but I can totally see how one would not take the moment seriously and laugh at the ridiculousness of the premise.

Interesting regardless.

mjc

Are you having it shipped to home or store pick up? I have mine set to store pick up and it still says awaiting authorization...but that's normal I think. Won't change for me until later this week I think.

About 50 hours played, she has to give the switch back and doesn't think she can finish in time for the review.
That's 50 hours and not finished, and her saying she is rushing through the game but would prefer not to.

I would hate to be pressured like that to finish a review. I expect zelda to last me over 100 hours, I wouldn't want to rush that.

Guys. Alanah Pearce is not reviewing the game. Jose Otero is.

However, to add a bit of juice to the hype-train, she claimed if she were reviewing the game, she's give it a 10.

h0tp0ck3t

damn my order from Gamestop is showing two day shipping and it's too late to change it to overnight. I took off on Friday and everything ;_;

Yeah it's hard to imagine but I'm sure there will be things they can expand on even from this game. A lot of us haven't played the game yet obviously so I don't know where this game may potentially fall short, but I'm guessing there will be things Nintendo can refine for another Zelda game like this. Graphical improvements will obviously be in play. Maybe the direction Nintendo goes in is to leave Hyrule? Open world Termina in next Zelda? =D

I would hate to be pressured like that to finish a review. I expect zelda to last me over 100 hours, I wouldn't want to rush that.

She sounds like she wishes she didn't have to but i'm guessing the review needs to be ready.
50 hours played, not finished despite rushing, and yet still wishing it wouldn't end is a very good sign though.

Guys. Alanah Pearce is not reviewing the game. Jose Otero is.

However, to add a bit of juice to the hype-train, she claimed if she were reviewing the game, she's give it a 10.
Maybe she is helping with the review then, or just playing it for fun.

probably the best video game trailer I've ever seen, especially the live one from the presentation with japanese vo and english subs

It was the reason I decided to preorder a Switch in the first place. I was sweating as I watched that trailer. Like, night sweats type of sweating, fam.

I wish we could have Japanese VO and English subtitles but I can live with the English dub.

Lucent

Anybody else going digital on Switch? I hope the servers don't give us too much trouble on launch day.

I would, but the additional $22 (physical copies from best buy using the GCU membership + Visa Checkout promo) wouldn't be worth it for me.

My copy also hasn't budged past the initial processing stage. But I just checked for my status on Horizon and apparently it's being delivered today. So I guess Best Buy won't screw me over if they keep that up.

phanphare

Banned
It was the reason I decided to preorder a Switch in the first place. I was sweating as I watched that trailer. Like, night sweats type of sweating, fam.

I wish we could have Japanese VO and English subtitles but I can live with the English dub.

the way it just kept building....gives me chills every time I watch it

I would, but the additional $22 (physical copies from best buy using the GCU membership + Visa Checkout promo) wouldn't be worth it for me.

My copy also hasn't budged past the initial processing stage. But I just checked for my status on Horizon and apparently it's being delivered today. So I guess Best Buy won't screw me over if they keep that up.

Ah yeah, that's a great deal. Hope it shows up on launch day for you!

Kjellson

I pre-ordered Switch for pick up at store and I'm still not 100% sure they will have enough for me since they don't have the exact number for how many they'll get.

I was there just fifteen minutes ago and the guy said that I will most likely get it and they usually send out an email if you won't get it. I'm still worried as fuck that I will walk in the store on Friday and hear that they don't have any consoles left.

Jobbs

Banned
It's kind of amazing that the N64 games worked so well with that framerate. I never felt it was inadequate to convey the action or to play well. I guess the pacing was slow enough for it to not be a problem?

Anyway, BotW Switch version should be fine, as the issues seem to strangely be on the starting area by and large, and never inhibit the gameplay.

I still wonder if we could get a docked boost mode at some point which would alleviate it?

Edit: Edge said the Wii-U version faired worse in framerate. I'm curious if it's just the same areas with lower dips, or if it happens elsewhere too?

I always disliked the n64 because in large part how the games didn't seem smooth. So choppy. I hated it.

marrec

Banned
I pre-ordered Switch for pick up at store and I'm still not 100% sure they will have enough for me since they don't have the exact number for how many they'll get.

I was there just fifteen minutes ago and the guy said that I will most likely get it and they usually send out an email if you won't get it. I'm still worried as fuck that I will walk in the store on Friday and hear that they don't have any consoles left.

It it makes you feel better Best Buy has been great for me for in store pickup of hot items. It does depend on your individual store though as I've heard stories of some stores selling "In Store Pickup" stock instead of holding it.

jariw

Webhallen in Sweden? I got a similar reply last week, that they have more preorders than they can stock.

Monumma

Anybody else going digital on Switch? I hope the servers don't give us too much trouble on launch day.

At some point I will buy A physical game to fill the slot, but that will be the lone exception. For 3DS Kid Icarus was the chosen one, because it wasn't digital for the longest time.

edit: I am ready to leave the switch unplayed doing updates though, I have little confidence in dayone Nintendo servers. Hopefully Amazon will arrive a day early and the servers will be up by the 2nd.

Top Bottom