• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Audioboxer

Cucurbitacée;231177196 said:
I considered this as spoiler, so:
Yes there are duplicate for almost all equipment and some can be repaired.

Hmmm,
makes things a bit less "unique" then :/

Ah well, it's a relatively minor pet peeve to have for what looks to be an amazing game.

Weapons and shields have durability? :/

o3xrXqB.gif

Absolutely HATE that in other games.

How are you just now hearing about it? Lol

Caelus

While it seems like the game showers you with weapon, I can foresee the frustrating stretch where all your weapon are breaking and you're stuck without the ability to replenish them. I hope I'm wrong.

I'd say don't worry about it, but yeah there's a planning ahead element.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I really think the weapon system will be a major point of contention in reviews. While it seems like the game showers you with weapon, I can foresee the frustrating stretch where all your weapon are breaking and you're stuck without the ability to replenish them. I hope I'm wrong.

There doesn't seem to be a durability indicator beside the popping text when it's damaged so planning ahead will also be kinda annoying at times.

It really doesn't seem like it'll be an issue though, since every time you kill a guy you can swipe his weapon. So unless you're just endlessly smacking rocks, not killing enemies, and not searching out chests, it shouldn't be an issue. At least from how it looks.

Antagon

I really think the weapon system will be a major point of contention in reviews. While it seems like the game showers you with weapon, I can foresee the frustrating stretch where all your weapon are breaking and you're stuck without the ability to replenish them. I hope I'm wrong.

There doesn't seem to be a durability indicator beside the popping text when it's damaged so planning ahead will also be kinda annoying at times.

You don't need weapons to kill enemies. The abilities you get at the start of the game can be used to kill enemies as well. And afaik there's no limit on bombs.

tkscz

Properly going in dark lol. Nah, I've probably read it prior, but seeing footage from all the leaks ignited the fire for me due to how quickly stuff was breaking.

At least the cooking "minigame" looks awesome!

How quickly they break would bother me too if it wasn't for being able to get new gear almost immediately. There are supposed to be permanent weapons later in the game.

test_account

XP-39C²
After you wake up, meet the old man, and start off doing whatever, a voice points you towards a location to investigate. This is assumed to be how the game will keep you on track of the main quest line. you do not need to follow it at all. You cannot have a main story line be non linear, that would be like reading a book by choosing the pages randomly.
That would make sense. And yeah, i know that it has to be linear. I was just curious how they would do it, and what happends if someone complete i.e the 3rd dungeon before the 1st dungeon, and how this will affect the story progression.

People really need to view durability like say, weapon ammo in Halo campaigns, ammo count is low but actual weapons rains from the sky. Yeah you could try to keep your assault rifle all level long but you will empty all of its ammo real quick. The low ammo count is how the dev inject variety into the game, as it makes you hotswap weapons constantly and thus change your tactics according to your current weapons. Take the same mindset in BotW. Don't worry that your good weapon breaks, you'll constantly get good weapons, and you'll be knee deep in more than serviceable weapons. All it's really doing is cycling what kind of weapons you currently have for variety, changing how you approach combat.

Air

Banned
I think the weapon swapping mechanic is one of the more low-key but important changes to the formula. Forcing you to be aware of how you enter a battle and deciding which weapon would best fit that scenario is something not only new to the series, but really makes sense for the kind of gameplay they're going for. You have this wander around, find stuff, get in battles, beat an enemy and get a better weapon loop going on that I feel will get satisfying when you play for a bit. I get why people will be annoyed at it though, but I think if you go in with an open mind there's a chance you could be surprised

PrimeBeef

Properly going in dark lol. Nah, I've probably read it prior, but seeing footage from all the leaks ignited the fire for me due to how quickly stuff was breaking.

At least the cooking "minigame" looks awesome!

Just re-frame your idea of weapons to ammo, and weapon types to guns. It makes more sense that way.

Firemind

Gonna go rush to obtain the Master Sword first.

PrimeBeef

That would make sense. And yeah, i know that it has to be linear. I was just curious how they would do it, and what happends if someone complete i.e the 3rd dungeon before the 1st dungeon, and how this will affect the story progression.

Could be possible that the dungeon order does not effect the main quest. Or that yuo reach a point in the main quest that tells you to cleans the Divine Beasts and you can do them in any order, and the main quest picks back up after all four are defeated.

Had no idea where else to post this and i can't post threads of my own yet. Basically.....

I want to use my Turtle Beach 420X Plus on my Wii U for Zelda and also chat with my buddies on Xbox Live and also use the Pro Controller. So i have tried a few things out. Chatting with friends works fine via Xbox One or the Xbox App in Windows 10. Plugging the 3.5mm cable from headset into Gamepad works with Mario Kart 8 too. I have audio through the headset and i can play it on my TV.

However, when i fire up Wind Waker HD, i have to chose between Gamepad and Pro Controller. So i chose Pro Controller, which disables the Gamepad for everything and thus also audio. If i choose Gamepad the Pro Controller won't work. I bet the reason all of this works in MK8 is because you can use the Gamepad and Pro Controller at the same time.

Anyone know how this is handled for BOTW? Otherwise i am going to have to buy a long ass 3.5mm cable and put it into the TV.

This weapon durability business is the only thing I'm a bit worried about in the game. I though it was really well done in Bloodborne and was never troublesome.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
From what I've seen on stream yesterday

SPOILERS REGARDING MASTERSWORD DONT CLICK THAT SPOILER

you need a minimum amount of heart containers to pull it, so if you beeline to hit you will at least need some food that gives you temporary max hearts

I will remove this spoiler/post if it's unacceptable in this thread even with a spoiler tag, let me know if that's the case.

Spoilers are only allowed via secure twitter feed.

Not sure what he means with Twitter but the OP does state "Please do not post spoilers in the preview/review topics."

he was joking.

My preference is that that spoiler should be edited. It is very clearly labelled, so not big issue, but it's making me want to click goddamit.

Caelus

Hmm, gonna reconsider and change my prediction on the meta score again after listening to a couple more previews
87-91

Lol

89 to 90 is the lowball prediction, minimum 91 or 92. People not liking the performance of the Wii U version will have little impact.

takriel

So Caelus, tell us a bit about the stuff you've seen so far. How would you describe the story in non-spoiler terms? Do you like it? Love it? Are indifferent to it?

Caelus

Are those previews past the plateau? From what I'm reading, that's where all the fun is :(

The Neogaf impressions are still in or near the Plateau, other impressions in the net describe marked improvement when leaving it.

So Caelus, tell us a bit about the stuff you've seen so far. How would you describe the story in non-spoiler terms? Do you like it? Love it? Are indifferent to it?

I like it. The surface premise is basic as always but it looks like the characters and themes open up the more the player chooses to explore and get involved. Think a happier Majora's Mask.

takriel

I like it. The surface premise is basic as always but it looks like the characters and themes open up the more the player chooses to explore and get involved. Think a happier Majora's Mask.

That's nice to hear. I thought Majora's Mask had the most interesting story to tell out of all the games, so you're getting me pretty excited.

How much of the story have you seen so far? Can you give an estimate?

Caelus

That's nice to hear. I thought Majora's Mask had the most interesting story to tell out of all the games, so you're getting me pretty excited.

How much of the story have you seen so far? Can you give an estimate?

A little bit of the main quest and one dungeon and basically like 1% of total Npc interaction which is the best part, and I still have no idea what Aonumas secret about the story progression is, though I think many people guessed correctly.

This weapon durability business is the only thing I'm a bit worried about in the game. I though it was really well done in Bloodborne and was never troublesome.

I thought it was pretty bad in bloodborne to be honest. It had literally no impact on the core gameplay. A completely vestigial mechanic.

Maxinas

Weapon durability is pretty bad in bloodborne then, considering it took me at least 30 hours in before i realized there was weapon durability. What was the point then.

Edit: Definitely needs to be more balance, i'd like to see exactly how long certain weapons lasts in correspondence to how difficult they are to find/earn.

The reason it was never troublesome in Bloodborne is because it essentially didn't exist. You have to go out of your way to break a weapon in that game and even then I'm not sure you could successfully do so. Bloodborne is one of my favorite games of all time, but its durability system is completely worthless and serves no purpose.

Neoweee

Durability in Bloodborne was a terrible mechanic, because it was completely and utterly worthless, to the point where it was a complete waste of resources to even code up during development. It also exists as stat-pollution, and contributes towards overwhelming the player with numbers that mean absolutely nothing and drowns out the few stats that really do matter. If the main stat screen showed literally only your key 6 stats, HP, Stamina, and main-hand damage, new players would have had a tremendously easier time with the game. Instead they get drowned in stat spam.

It kind of sort of matters for like 1 or 2 weapons, but was a poor way to try to balance them.

The reason it was never troublesome in Bloodborne is because it essentially didn't exist. You have to go out of your way to break a weapon in that game and even then I'm not sure you could successfully do so. Bloodborne is one of my favorite games of all time, but its durability system is completely worthless and serves no purpose.

Tell that to my +7 Kirkhammer. And yes, one of the best games of all time (imo) has a durability system done right.

I thought it was pretty bad in bloodborne to be honest. It had literally no impact on the core gameplay. A completely vestigial mechanic.

Weapon durability is pretty bad in bloodborne then, considering it took me at least 30 hours in before i realized there was weapon durability. What was the point then.

Edit: Definitely needs to be more balance, i'd like to see exactly how long certain weapons lasts in correspondence to how difficult they are to find/earn.

Hah, well maybe that's why I liked it because it never bothered me but I still fixed weapons almost every time when visiting Hunter's Dream. Bloodborne is one of my favorite games as well and I'm hard pressed to find any faults in it.

Durability in Bloodborne was a terrible mechanic, because it was completely and utterly worthless, to the point where it was a complete waste of resources to even code up during development. It also exists as stat-pollution, and contributes towards overwhelming the player with numbers that mean absolutely nothing and drowns out the few stats that really do matter. If the main stat screen showed literally only your key 6 stats, HP, Stamina, and main-hand damage, new players would have had a tremendously easier time with the game. Instead they get drowned in stat spam.

It kind of sort of matters for like 1 or 2 weapons, but was a poor way to try to balance them.

Yes I guess you're right. I haven't played the game for a while now and didn't remember exactly how it was done. Well I guess the lesson is that I prefer games without a durability.

marrec

Banned
Tell that to my +7 Kirkhammer. And yes, one of the best games of all time (imo) has a durability system done right.

I dunno, most times throughout Bloodborne I completely forgot the durability system existed and only ever remembered when I was changing out bloodgems or fortifying a weapon.

Even the Tonitrus seemed endlessly durable, it would just take more Echoes to "repair" it when I did remember. Worthless system.

Ninjimbo

I'm still expecting this game to score in the 80's on Metacritic. I just heard impressions on the DLC podcast and the guy made a big deal about it not being technically impressive, weapon degradation being annoying and the game feeling a bit grindy. There wasn't a lot of details but he didn't sound super impressed with it which kinda leads me to believe that more casual gamers will be less enthused with what Zelda is doing.

He also said something about it being the hardest Zelda.

I'm still expecting this game to score in the 80's on Metacritic. I just heard impressions on the DLC podcast and the guy made a big deal about it not being technically impressive, weapon degradation being annoying and the game feeling a bit grindy. There wasn't a lot of details but he didn't sound super impressed with it which kinda leads me to believe that more casual gamers will be less enthused with what Zelda is doing.

He also said something about it being the hardest Zelda.

Sounds good to me!

Top Bottom