• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Hey you guys remember that e3 2011 tech demo, the excitement following ALBW's release, the E3 2014 trailer, the Game Awards demo, the complete silence during 2015, the orgasmic e3 2016 and the Switch event trailer? Turns out all that shit is about to end, and we shall all be in Valhalla by next week. Witness Me.

Don't forget this little pic from the January 2013 Direct.

zelda2.jpg

"Rethink the conventions of Zelda", indeed.

Mariolee

For Amazon preorders, do they try to ship it to you early the day of or late at night as per usual? I bought my Switch at Gamestop but Zelda through amazon and I don't know if I can just stare at my Zelda-less Switch.

I'm buying Snipperclips through the eShop to hold me over but still.

Have some heart! A game may be surpassed mechanically, but the soul never dies. Chrono Trigger may not be a complex RPG when it comes to the battle system or whatnot anymore, but it's still amazing and the spirit thrives. Same for Ocarina. Outdated mechanics can't dispel the general magic of a game at least IMO. There's so many reasons why that game is a classic that have nothing to do with the combat system :p

kevthumb.gif

LotusHD

Banned
For Amazon preorders, do they try to ship it to you early the day of or late at night as per usual? I bought my Switch at Gamestop but Zelda through amazon and I don't know if I can just stare at my Zelda-less Switch.

I got Gravity Rush 2 and other games around 11am-12pm.

Kindekuma

Banned

Depends on your postal delivery service lol. For me Amazon packages are always delivered by UPS, and they swing by my neighborhood at 4pm. So waiting for both my Switch and Zelda is going to be agonizing.

Hylian7

When I have ordered games on release from Amazon in the past, they have shown up on the middle of the day. I work from home on Fridays, so I will be there for my Switch haul to get in. I am picking up the system from a GameStop, and will either get it at midnight the night before, or take a lunch break and go get it.

Have some heart! A game may be surpassed mechanically, but the soul never dies. Chrono Trigger may not be a complex RPG when it comes to the battle system or whatnot anymore, but it's still amazing and the spirit thrives. Same for Ocarina. Outdated mechanics can't dispel the general magic of a game at least IMO. There's so many reasons why that game is a classic that have nothing to do with the combat system :p
I kinda agree with them. I played OOT a decade after its release and I enjoyed with standout moments like the Spirit temple, the final confrontation and the side quest involving the guy in the lost woods, but it never left a mark on me like WW and MM have. Like FF7, its gameplay systems doesn't wildly differ from its predecessor most likely because the devs were more worried about simply migrating to the 3rd dimension. I played Alttp afterwards and greatly enjoyed for being a really straight forward Zelda game, the only thing keeping it from being one of my faves is the combat. Oot suffers from early 3D games wanting to be cinematic, though not as much as MGS or FF, and there's little to explore in the world. You go from one dungeon to another non stop without any breathing room like in WW and MM. I feel the fan base can be decided into 2 camps, those who play for the dungeons and the others, of which I am a part of, who want to explore an over world. Oot and TP appeal to the first camp whereas WW, MM and presumably BOTW appeal to the other. Alttp, LA, albw and Zelda1 find a balance between the two but arguably don't nail either aspect as well as those that are dedicated to it. All this to say, Oot is good, very good, but not for the reasons why I love Zelda. Also, here's a complaint many will disagree with, I find it to be largely substance without style.

are you playing bullshit bingo or something

Well, i meant more just the magic of the combat, which was so surprising and fresh when it released. I definitely agree that the game as a whole still fills me with wonder, even all the text boxes. Just agree the fighting isn't as great, although Zelda shrieking by the fire in the final battle still gives me shivers.

The atmosphere in OOT is palpable - the dungeons and the game's soundtrack in particular. I sincerely feel good just playing it and I get very involved/absorbed in the goings-on in the game world.

I hope BOTW can at least equal these feelings.

I'm going to play in a mixture of handheld and TV mode, leaning mostly towards TV use, I think.

TV at home, handheld mode @ work on breaks

Zips

OK - the previews, videos, pictures, impressions, and everything coming out now is getting to me. Struggling to distract myself with other things now..

I preordered through Amazon like a year and a half ago. I'm concerned what's going on with them since they changed the delivery date to 'we'll let you know', but I can't change shippers as I've got almost 50% off at Amazon.

If I had a couple hundred dollars lying around I'd get a Switch. That's how much this is shaping up to be an event I want to experience in all its glory. Maybe I'll end up buying it again later if it turns out as spectacular as people are making it sound.

ASIS

Hey you guys remember that e3 2011 tech demo, the excitement following ALBW's release, the E3 2014 trailer, the Game Awards demo, the complete silence during 2015, the orgasmic e3 2016 and the Switch event trailer? Turns out all that shit is about to end, and we shall all be in Valhalla by next week. Witness Me.

Wow.. We've been through a lot with this game. No wonder I'm so excited. It's been a nice journey, but I'm glad it's finally over.

xtianmarq

Is the Wii U version going to be up for preload? Or will it be available for download on launch day?

I was told by Nintendo customer service that preload "may not happen." Apparently, Nintendo of Europe uploaded the WiiU version to their servers and it was stolen/leaked....so I would doubt we'll see preload. I would think it will be available at midnight on launch day but the servers will likely be slammed.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
God Damn.

Just saw this thread for the first time, but this is some damned high praise.....

This may make me reconsider a switch. Still going to wait until after launch, but this sounds incredible...

Kaban

Quick question. Have anyone in the previews mentioned how many game files you can save? My roommate and/or girlfriend might want to get in on their own playthrough. I know Zelda titles normally have 3 save slots, but I just wanted to make sure.

Top Bottom