• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

13ruce

Banned
Saw on twitter that in Netherlands. Wii U copies are being sold already. Broke streetdate?

Can't really link it since I'm on mobile.

Waaaaaaaaaaaat meh i want the Switch version anyway doubt those wil be send early:( ordered at bol.com those rarely send games early.

Yeah I hope the next game is minimalist like Majora. I say this because I don't see how BOTW could be any bigger.

Something to think about is... I mean, BOTW's open world size and quality is apparently insane, so where do you go from there?

If the next one was also another huge open world but perhaps in a different setting, would people still find it derivative or too samey of BOTW? It's not a Skyward situation where the last game divided people on the direction of the environments; I wager the majority will really like the open world here.

So again, where do they go after this? I'm almost sure the next one will be a handheld or handheld-like installment because it's going to be another while until the next "major" one and we'll likely see more Zelda games ala Link Between Worlds, but it'll be interesting to see what they come up with for the next main one.

I'm fine with waiting a long time for another big Zelda game like Breath of the Wild, a big Zelda release is a generation defining event. I would quite like another top down one similar to A Link Between Worlds but in a brand new setting.

Caelus

So again, where do they go after this? I'm almost sure the next one will be a handheld or handheld-like installment because it's going to be another while until the next "major" one and we'll likely see more Zelda games ala Link Between Worlds, but it'll be interesting to see what they come up with for the next main one.

Seeing as it would probably be Switch exclusive, they might want to take full advantage of the hardware. I'm expecting a more realistic but still cartoony character design ala Ocarina or Majora 3D (though I love cel-shading), they might go for the same open-world structure in a different land entirely - maybe Termina, Labrynna, Holodrum, etc. I can't imagine another linear 3D Zelda considering how well this game has been received so far.

Seeing as it would probably be Switch exclusive, they might want to take full advantage of the hardware. I'm expecting a more realistic but still cartoony character design ala Ocarina or Majora 3D (though I love cel-shading), they might go for the same open-world structure in a different land entirely - maybe Termina, Labrynna, Holodrum, etc. I can't imagine another linear 3D Zelda considering how well this game has been received so far.

Basically I think it's safe to say the next one won't be another gigantic open world Hyrule.

takriel

Something to think about is... I mean, BOTW's open world size and quality is apparently insane, so where do you go from there?

If the next one was also another huge open world but perhaps in a different setting, would people still find it derivative or too samey of BOTW? It's not a Skyward situation where the last game divided people on the direction of the environments; I wager the majority will really like the open world here.

I don't think we'll see a new 3D console Zelda for a very long time. We'll have to wait 5 years again at least. And that's fine. They should take whatever time they need.

They likely don't know themselves yet in what direction they should take the 3D games after BotW. I agree with you that the next game will be another 2D title with a much smaller scope.

Dude I would absolutely lose my shit if we can tame and mount a big cat or a flying animal

We need a Medli amiibo:
GZLE01-183.png

13ruce

Banned

Next one will probably be in a Hyrule that is flourishing so no broken down wild hyrule but a humanized hyrule.

That will be very interesting in a big Open World like BotW.
But yeah they will probably make a OoT oldstyle or handheld style Zelda game inbetween the big Zelda games.

Or heavily reuse assets like MM (wich i would not mind ofcourse!)

robotrock

Banned

Nintendo can use the template of BOTW for the next four 3D zeldas until people start calling them out

I know it won't happen but with everything Breath of the Wild seems to achieve I would be quite satisfied if this was the last Zelda installment. I don't know how they can possibly top it. Just thinking about the next installment feels weird, I have no idea where they would even start.

What do you guys think of this?

From this point on there could be three types of TLoZ games moving forward, the classical 2D top down games alongside this new open air-esque games. However, in addition to the two more puzzle heavy Skyward Sword esque games where the focus was largely on the dungeons and bringing their puzzle elements out to the environment?

ReitStuff

As I've said before, we've gotten to a point now where 3D Zelda games have become rarer than Nintendo consoles. Call me crazy but it wouldn't shock me if the next 3D Zelda is released 2 generations from now.

JaseMath

I was randomly watching the intro to Wind Waker, and there's a panel that looks an awful lot like Calamity Ganon...

story5.jpg

Also, there's a lot of rain in the trailer. Hmmm...

Kinsei

Banned
It obviously isn't the last one and the series will probably never end but I feel like Breath of the Wild has set the bar too high. Where does it go from here?

People back in '98 were saying the exact same thing about Ocarina and then the next console Zelda came along and it was even better.

Hattori

Banned
All this Metroid talk... now I want a third person Metroid in the same vein as echoes where you explore a desolate planet 🤤

Well I was finally convinced to preorder but Amazon won't let me. Guess I won't be getting my prime discount. Surely somewhere local will have a physical copy.

The only 3D Zelda game I played was Wind Waker but I remember enjoying it. This game will have to be incredible to pass A Link to the Past on Christmas Day when I was 10. Or the countless times I finished the original Legend of Zelda when I was 6. The only thing that really worries me is the weapon durability.

It'll also be nice to finally use my Wii U again. I bought it solely for Xenoblade Chronicles X. That game alone was worth it to me though.

Caelus

Nintendo can use the template of BOTW for the next four 3D zeldas until people start calling them out

I don't think I'd have a problem with that. The 'template' seems pretty flexible. The timespan for the next four 3D Zeldas will probably be around two decades lol, I can't even fathom it.

As I've said before, we've gotten to a point now where 3D Zelda games have become rarer than Nintendo consoles. Call me crazy but it wouldn't shock me if the next 3D Zelda is released 2 generations from now.

I'm cool with Breath of the Wild being the only 3D Switch Zelda (though another one in a few years would be sweet), would be nice to have some other experiments like a 2 player take on Four Swords using the Joy-cons.

Caelus

I'm cool with Breath of the Wild being the only 3D Switch Zelda (though another one in a few years would be sweet), would be nice to have some other experiments like a 2 player take on Four Swords using the Joy-cons.

A Four Swords with the physics of this game....

Someone hold me.

Next game (after a 2D installment) should just be the MM to Breath of the Wild's OoT.

I wonder what things would of been like had Nintendo decided to make a quick Majora's Mask-esque sequel to Twilight Princess as they originally planned before settling on Link's Crossbow Training.

In hindsight, I think that would of made more sense than wasting like five whole years on making Skyward Sword only to release it when the Wii was on its way out, resulting in lower sales. They really should of struck while the iron was hot and gotten a quick sequel to TP out in 2008 or 2009 when the Wii was at the height of its popularity. Then they could of started working on the next Zelda game for their next console.

HylianTom

Banned
I was randomly watching the intro to Wind Waker, and there's a panel that looks an awful lot like Calamity Ganon...

story5.jpg

Also, there's a lot of rain in the trailer. Hmmm...
Every time I watch the January 13th trailer, I see the first 7 seconds of water and think of that Wind Waker quote from Ganon:
"I can see this girl's dreams. Oceans... oceans..."

047.png

Nottle

I don't think that's likely. In terms of 3D Zelda we got 2 N64 games (Majora borrowed a lot of assets), sort of 2 GameCube games because TP was on the Wii, another Zelda on the Wii pretty late in its life, and a Zelda sort of for the Wii U.

If this framework is something they will be using the next game I can see another 3D Zelda coming along at the end of the switch's life and being pushed onto what the next console is.

Basically I think it's safe to say the next one won't be another gigantic open world Hyrule.
I think it's safe to say that they will use the ever living shit out of this engine.

Hadn't a load of their games been using some modified engine for years?

I also think if this is a high selling game across both platforms, with TP success. They could probably use that Seems swansong/ debut for all new consoles?

After Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora's Mask 3D I thought Grezzo might use the updated engine and assets to make a third Ocarina of Time game, looks like that ship has sailed.

Nintendo spent so much time on making this game. There's no way they won't reuse the engine.

I feel like a Majoras Mask situation might happen. Smaller world but more compact.
Or 2D game. Both are good choices.

I think it's safe to say that they will use the ever living shit out of this engine.

They may use the engine but that doesn't mean it'll be another open game set in Hyrule. They may want to take it somewhere else and include a new set of mechanics. And style. Just hope the style doesn't outclass the substance.

They may use the engine but that doesn't mean it'll be another open game set in Hyrule. They may want to take it somewhere else and include a new set of mechanics. And style. Just hope the style doesn't outclass the substance.

These physics applied to Pikmin would be wonderful.

I think the DLC will keep it alive and they'll likely see how that goes.

We may well be another OoT/Majoras usage?

These physics applied to Pikmin would be wonderful.

Wave-Race... :)

AmyS

Guys, we are what, 4 and 1/2 days away (give or take some hours depending on where you are) from Zelda Breath of the Wild.

Is your hype level rising? Mine is now, as we approach release.

LordKano

Every time I watch the January 13th trailer, I see the first 7 seconds of water and think of that Wind Waker quote from Ganon:
"I can see this girl's dreams. Oceans... oceans..."

047.png

Why is there an old man with a large smile sitting next to a small teenager girl in his bed, sleeping ?

I mean, right?

The language being used, by industry voices I respect a GREAT deal, almost has me terrified. My love of this medium has evolved quite a bit as Ive grown, and I've never stopped loving all manner of Nintendo releases, but there was a pure wonder that I remember once feeling in my early youth (early 90s and some mid nineties) with respect to games. If Nintendo has managed to create something that can truly take me back in time while I'm an active participant in this world they've built.... I barely know how I'd deal with those emotions
Took the words right out of my mouth. This is just a really ridiculous thing to say but I bet its how so many people feel

Guys, we are what, 4 and 1/2 days away (give or take some hours depending on where you are) from Zelda Breath of the Wild.

Im at critical mass. I cant play anything else or even watch any shows cause all i think about is wanting to play this game.

Massively to the point i spent £120 on Zelda guide and amiibo tonight.

Top Bottom