• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Jaraghan

I was told by Nintendo customer service that preload "may not happen." Apparently, Nintendo of Europe uploaded the WiiU version to their servers and it was stolen/leaked....so I would doubt we'll see preload. I would think it will be available at midnight on launch day but the servers will likely be slammed.
Yeah that is my worry. I got the day off, and I don't want to spend all day trying to download the game as the servers are getting slammed. Hopefully I can pick up a physical copy somewhere.

robotrock

Banned
Quick question. Have anyone in the previews mentioned how many game files you can save? My roommate and/or girlfriend might want to get in on their own playthrough.

both the Wii U and Switch let you have multiple user accounts that should help you out

Kinsei

Banned
Quick question. Have anyone in the previews mentioned how many game files you can save? My roommate and/or girlfriend might want to get in on their own playthrough. I know Zelda titles normally have 3, but I just wanted to make sure.

Every profile gets their own save.

I dont have a tv lol

I will be curious about how your experience specifically matches up to the rest of us that swap, in terms of your reaction to the game. I hope once you've made your way through the game enough to comment you'll come back and talk about what kind of a handheld only experience you get from BOTW.

atr0cious

But his username isn't Windwaker?
Umm, Twilight Princess is the standard AAA game of Zelda. Everything Zelda is known for is in this game in someway, dual worlds, cool dungeons (some taken from WW), "cool" characters, big overworld(that looks like 3 different game maps taped together), expanded combat(mortal draw is so dope), transformations and collectibles (now mandatory platforming sections). But it never really tried to be anything more than that.

MM brought the time manipulation which completely changed how you interacted with the world on a "daily" basis. WW focus on first "true" open world including day night cycles and expanding the combat, SS mastered motion controls bringing about the most challenge in the series' combat.

TP just exists, which is in part because it's supposed to be a showcase for the Wii(aiming arrows was pretty cool), which forced them to go with the familiar, however grand, to make for a sure fire good experience. Nothing wrong with that. It's just lesser for it.

see that mountain over there?

you can go there

In The Witcher III, when you get to a body of water while riding Roach, and Roach ain't havin' it, you have to go all the way around or hope you come across a bridge or something. It was always super annoying and tedious to me. Horses can swim. Roach can't. Roach is a piece of shit.

In Zelda, my horses won't be pieces of shit that can't swim. They can swim, and will swim, because they are awesome, loyal horses.

In The Witcher III, you'll get to a mountain, scale it, but then you can't climb, so when it gets too steep for the walking animation, you done. But then you start jumping, and you make it a bit further, but then you probably start falling. Then you have to go alllll the way back down and work out how the fuck you're going to get around it, how you're going to get to that waypoint.

In Zelda, Link can fucking climb a bitch.

btw, The Witcher III is one of the best games I've ever played. You "can go to that mountain" but you sure as shit aren't going to have fun doing it. I realize that mechanically they're very different games and I don't really knock The Witcher over it, but I feel like with this game I'm actually going to have fun with the traversal, and being able to not only go to that mountain, but having the ability to climb it, even if eventually (but understandably) sabotaged by the stamina gauge, actually makes me excited about the prospect.

BINGO!

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
In The Witcher III, when you get to a body of water while riding Roach, and Roach ain't havin' it, you have to go all the way around or hope you come across a bridge or something. It was always super annoying and tedious to me. Horses can swim. Roach can't. Roach is a piece of shit.

In Zelda, my horses won't be pieces of shit that can't swim. They can swim, and will swim, because they are awesome, loyal horses.

In The Witcher III, you'll get to a mountain, scale it, but then you can't climb, so when it gets too steep for the walking animation, you done. But then you start jumping, and you make it a bit further, but then you probably start falling. Then you have to go alllll the way back down and work out how the fuck you're going to get around it, how you're going to get to that waypoint.

btw, The Witcher III is one of the best games I've ever played. You "can go to that mountain" but you sure as shit aren't going to have fun doing it. I realize that mechanically they're very different games and I don't really knock The Witcher over it, but I feel like with this game I'm actually going to have fun with the traversal, and being able to not only go to that mountain, but having the ability to climb it, even if eventually (but understandably) sabotaged by the stamina gauge, actually makes me excited about the prospect.

BINGO!
It was a Skyrim reference so I'm not sure why you're taking pot shots at poor ol' Witcher 3 o_O

...rare to find someone making a complaint about having substance over style. Typically it's the other way around. Not sure how the game doesn't have style though.
Substance is obviously more important than style, unless your Suda or Godard where the style is the substance, but without style any work of art can seem sterile or lifeless, a bunch of enjoyable systems that serve a machine. WW, MM and LA have a style that seems to come from their creators, Aonuma/Miyamoto/Koizumi, that give you an impression of what they mean to their creators. LA is Koizumi's attempt to subtly bring a story into the series, MM time mechanic is symbolic of its quick development, the end of the millennium approaching and the repeating formula of the series, WW is an attempt to meld 2d and 3D Zelda sensibilities while moving the series forward. Also LA and MM are basically emblematic of the developers' love for Twin Peaks. None of these thing are necessary to make a good game, but they allow the work to remain in our conscious and become great games. Thus, when I play OoT, I'm interacting with a series of mechanics but with the other games I mentioned, I also get the sense of being in the same room as the designers without them barging in and kidnapping me like Kojima. Oot tried to use its time travel aspect to create a sense of loss and melancholy but never went as far as I feel it could have, so it has style but not as much as I hoped. Strangely enough, though I prefer Alttp, it's arguably even more substance without style.

Vidiot

Funny to see people so one sided on how they'll be using their Switch. I mean I know I'll prefer tv mode but I'm positive I'll use it both ways. It's the best thing about the system.

Realeza

Banned
lcnUEoM.gif

Lmao. I love how overreacted is Link's jump. Looks like a WWE moment.

It was a Skyrim reference so I'm not sure why you're taking pot shots at poor ol' Witcher 3 o_O

I know. And I'm not taking pot shots at Witcher. It just comes to mind when I think about annoying instances during traversal. I'm just saying I'm happy that you have more traversal abilities than a lot of open world games, it's far less restrictive.

robotrock

Banned

BINGO!

I have tried to "skyrim" mountains on numerous occasions in the Witcher 3, mostly in skelliege, and it's an extremely unfun mess.

But otherwise yeah Witcher 3 is one of the best games I've played. need to get to that dlc

Question: I didn't know that you get multiple horses in this game. Are they all called Epona? Will cancel my preorder if not.

Funny to see people so one sided on how they'll be using their Switch. I mean I know I'll prefer tv mode but I'm positive I'll use it both ways. It's the best thing about the system.

I kind of really hate handheld gaming. Like, a lot. So if the Switch ends up being a way to play handheld Nintendo on my TV, it'll be a dream.

Kinsei

Banned
I have tried to "skyrim" mountains on numerous occasions in the Witcher 3, mostly in skelliege, and it's an extremely unfun mess.

But otherwise yeah Witcher 3 is one of the best games I've played. need to get to that dlc

Question: I didn't know that you get multiple horses in this game. Are they all called Epona? Will cancel my preorder if not.

They don't have names so they can be whatever you want them to be.

Kade

I allow myself to get extremely excited for one thing a year and I didn't expect it to happen so early this year. I'm going to be insanely depressed for the rest of 2017 once I finish Zelda the weekend I get it.

I allow myself to get extremely excited for one thing a year and I didn't expect it to happen so early this year. I'm going to be insanely depressed for the rest of 2017 once I finish Zelda the weekend I get it.

Mario Odyssey and who knows what they might announce at E3 for later in the year.

Why not savour this occasion instead? We're not getting another Zelda for who knows how long.

Do people take the timeline seriously (outside of obvious ones like OOT > MM)?

I feel like Nintendo cobbled it together because of fan demand, but they don't actually consider it canon.

Yeah sure, if you have your head in the sand, ears covered, and willfully ignore the numerous references in more than half the series. All the 3D ones + DS ones have VERY obvious placements in relation to one another.

Real Hero

oh god not a timeline debate, it exists, it has clearly been thought out and planned after a certain point and you don't need to trash the concept to ignore it.

Why not savour this occasion instead? We're not getting another Zelda for who knows how long.

I'm hoping we get "smaller" ones, 2D or at least top down POV that look amazing on the tablet screen. They say that 3DS will still go strong, and I hope it does, but I would also like to see Switch games that are focused on the tablet screen. I don't not want to see another Zelda on 3DS, but where they're advertising this as a hybrid, well, because it is, it would also be neat to get handheld-like games for it, only with the benefit of the larger, better screen. I would absolutely die to play a new 2D Castlevania or something on the Switch tablet.

ekim

Just watched some more videos. This game is a streamers and speed runners dream I would guess. I can't wait to see what people come up with messing with the mechanics and what secrets the world really has. I wasn't hyped for a game that much for a long time and I never really played a Zelda game.

JonnyKong

The potential for e3 this year is huge,

We could have,

Retro's new game
Luigi's Mansion 3
Pokemon stars
Pikmin 4
New Metroid game
Maybe new Mario and Luigi game

BUT realistically I know we're mainly going to get Mario Odyssey, the Rabbids rpg crossover, Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade 2.

This is going completely off topic I know..

I'm hoping we get "smaller" ones, 2D or at least top down POV that look amazing on the tablet screen. They say that 3DS will still go strong, and I hope it does, but I would also like to see Switch games that are focused on the tablet screen. I don't not want to see another Zelda on 3DS, but where they're advertising this as a hybrid, well, because it is, it would also be neat to get handheld-like games for it, only with the benefit of the larger, better screen. I would absolutely die to play a new 2D Castlevania or something on the Switch tablet.
Yeah I hope the next game is minimalist like Majora. I say this because I don't see how BOTW could be any bigger.

Top Bottom