• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Skee

I know a lot of people are going to tell me not to compare Horizon & Zelda, but I'm just happy that two highly crafted action adventure games are out. The fact that you can also do anything you want in either game is astonishing.

It's not about which game is better or which will win game of the year. WE won. The people won. That's all that matters.

This is absolutely insane, I never expected that!

Even more impressive, on GameRankings it currently holds a 98.50% score. Their best game of all times so far is Super Mario Galaxy with a 97.64% score...

Sony: "Here's Horizon, open world perfection"

Nintendo: "Hold my beer"

giphy.gif

I'm definitely picking up Horizon as well at some stage but that one got me.

Philippo

I don't get the critics for the EZA review: not only it was fair and well written (good job as expected Damiani!), but it didn't score a perfect vote because of a clear big issue, judging by the video in the review the (docked) Switch performance is awful.
I mean, i'm always keen on closing an eye about technical issues when a game is good, or forgive poor graphics in favor of great artstyles, but at one point the game literally seemed to freeze. Yesterday i saw a friend playing the WiiU version and panning the camera was torture.
Sure, when i'll play i won't even notice it and it won't impact my enjoyment of the game, but this is an issue worth of taking a point down.

Drewboy64

Definitely gonna get Horizon ZD eventually, super excited to play it... but I imagine BotW will be occupying most of my time first, so I might wait for a price drop. So excite.

Fady K

I barely post in review threads and I'm not even anywhere near the biggest of Zelda fans despite my great enjoyment of the series; having said that - this is beautiful to see. Not only a perfecting of Zelda's formula by Nintendo it seems, and not only the largest Zelda to date, but probably Nintendo's best creation and one of the very best games of all time, if these reviews are anything to go by. Which is incredible to see and experience.

In the last 12 months alone, Hitman returned to form, we got one of the best console puzzlers in the Witness, we got Nintendo's best strategy game in many years in Fire Emblem Fates, we got one of the most memorable rhythm games of all time in Thumper, ID made their best game in decades with Doom, we got possibly the best and meatiest piece of DLC ever with the Witcher 3 Blood & Wine, we got Blizzard's new IP Overwatch that sweeped GOTY awards and gave everyone one of the freshest multiplayer games in years, we got an action adventure masterpiece in the form of Uncharted 4, we got one of the most acclaimed platformers ever in Inside, The Last Guardian not only finally came out but was actually incredible for gamers, the Yakuza series came back with a bang with Yakuza 0, Resident Evil 7 brought the series back to form and actually scared the shit out of gamers, we got the best Tales games in many years with Berseria, we got probably Koei Tecmo's best game in decades with Nioh, Guerilla finally created their masterpiece with Horizon, and now Nintendo created likely not only the best Zelda game but maybe the best Nintendo game ever for some.

Bottom line is, it's a great honor to live in some of the most exciting times in gaming history with all of you. We shall cherish it :)

Impressive score, but whit most of the background of player here, anybody still think it will their best game of all time ? You don't remember how many game that was over hype like these ? GTA 4 is a good exemple on MC list, it's not a bad game, but it's far from GOAT.

Still looking to play it, but lower the hype.... please lol.

Everybody remembers GTA IV unfortunately. I really really dont think this is that.

People will be all over this game for every flaw though in part just because of the high scores. Overall though it'll be remembered much much more fondly.

Personally I hate breakable weapons, I'm going to be playing on the (probably) inferior Wii U version, a lot of people have said the world is too empty...and I couldn't care less. I cannot wait to play this.

KooopaKid

Banned
I still can't believe it. In this day and age, it's extremely difficult to receive unanimous praise like this. It must be really groundbreaking.
And I just received a mail from Fnac saying my Switch and Zelda has arrived. Perfect.

Kouichi

98 on Metacritic. God damn! I knew this was going to be very special game.

Hats off to to Aonuma and the whole Zelda team. I'm so excited for tomorrow!!

Tareskog

Of course Zelda fans will be upset with a 9. Why one of my favourite game franchises has one of the worst fanbases?

Haha. For fucks sake. From what I've heard from early impressions, I'm surprised that the game have gotten so many top scores as it has thus far.
Why are they even upset? Do they think that their personal gaming experience is going to get worse if they cant wank at the 100 on metacritic while they play the game? 9/10 is a god damn good score..

Alefas

Neo Member
What is the consensus about the Wii U version? Is it in any way unplayable? Because I do not want to buy a Switch yet but I also do not want to play this apparently amazing game in a suboptimal way.

J-Skee

The guys who made Horizon are probably thrilled about the great reviews they got, the sales they're probably going to get, and about playing Zelda.

Exactly. And if anything, it will give them motivation to do even better with a sequel or similar style game.

Jonboy

Posting in this epic thread.

Those of you wanting to sell Switch preorders...today is probably a good day to sell high, lol

vareon

There was a time when this wasn't a Switch title. An alternate timeline when "Zelda Wii U" is released in 2015 to the console's dying breath.

I wonder how that timeline fares.

entremet

Do you guys remember the Zelda presentation when they mentioned they were going to change the formula?

It during WWHD's reveal.

sarcoa

Yes, it's an inexact science for sure. Superlatives are easy to fall prey to... my fellow podcast pals took me to task about this on our two-hour Zeldacast that we just finished publishing also!

http://flapjawspace.com/FlapJawSpace.xml
I am on this podcast. OtherSteve was texting us all week with absurdly positive language describing the game. We challenged him to defend those statements, repeatedly, on our latest episode and I don't think he even blinked.

Don't quote me on this, he played BotW for 60+ hours and I only watched it for ten minutes, but I don't think he mentioned any major spoilers.

Amused

Horizon, Nioh (which is great!) and this is going to keep me busy for a few months I think.

So many great games! Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom