• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. What a way to start my morning. I'm absolutely floored and so excited and happy for Nintendo and all of the people who poured their lives into this game for the last few years... this must feel amazing to them.

Almost makes me a little emotional :,)

Evilmaus

So I understand OoT has a higher metacritic still, but given the difference in the volume if reviews, would it be safe to say this is probably the best reviewing game of all time?

Either way, incredible scores. Just hoping the hype isn't overblown the game doesn't end up feeling underwhelming as a result!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
We don't know.

Probably not hard to find a website that lets you buy eshop cards that'll just send you a picture of the code you have to ente in order to add the funds to your account though. I know of at least on dutch website that lets you do it that way..

You can buy eshop gift cards directly through PayPal, at least in Germany

And Skyward Sword was one of the weakest Zeldas of all time. If you want to compare BotW with something then Twilight Princess which sold 7 millions.

It was also at the very end of the Wii's lifespan. Majora's Mask did similar numbers too when it came out during the N64's twilight years.

Realeza

Banned
Where the hell does the Zelda team go from here.

I guess Aliens

6OE7pEsQ3DHtc2k7P5RZ2xXH2c1wK.jpg

The equivalent of Majora's Mask

bennibop

What worries me is that I have already pulled a sickie to play Horizon (yesterday & today) and I am still not even halfway through that. Looks like I will have to extend my illness through next week!

lt519

Then there are a lot of idiots. Sales are more important than MC score. Both games will sell fine.

In this case the metacritic is massively important to Nintendo as they are trying to sell a new console with this game and media buzz like this is going to help tremendously. Sales are important no doubt but an extra 250k console sales because of good reviews are more important to them then selling 1M more Wii U copies.

zulux21

Neither game is going to bomb so sales talk really isn't that important either outside of people wanting to use it to pump of their game. Horizon will put up big numbers and I wouldn't be surprised if BotW ended up being the best selling Zelda game ever.

I would be absolutely shocked if BotW ended up being the best selling game.

it's releasing for the worst selling nintendo console, and a new console that we haven't seen how it will do yet, but there is little doubt that it will do worse than the Wii did.

TP will likely remain the top dog (unless you count rereleases then OoT)

Peroroncino

I can understand the MC score rivalry, but why do people care which one sells more than the other lol

I think by now it should be painfully obvious that a lot of people often get emotionally invested in products they bought or are hyped for, so yeah, they care, if only for bragging rights or positive reinforcement of their investment.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Shit. Was planning on waiting till summer to get a Switch. Now I don't know if I'll have the patience.

And just as my dating life was picking up...

Neither game is going to bomb so sales talk really isn't that important either outside of people wanting to use it to pump of their game. Horizon will put up big numbers and I wouldn't be surprised if BotW ended up being the best selling Zelda game ever.

Some are posting about how they feel sorry for GG because of the reviews for Zelda. So the actual sales are a far more important factor than an MC comparison.

Zelda outdoing Horizon in MC matters precisely little because Horizon is at that point where it's sales are looking to be huge, which isn't always something that's set it stone. And that makes the MC analysis the foolish one, not the sales talk.

_Clash_

Nintendo need to make a new Zelda commercial with all the 10/10 reviews with the best quotes. Some of these quotes are straight up hype.

This could potentially increase Switch sales right?

It's the perfect game to launch a console with, evergreen, epic and critically acclaimed to a level we haven't seen in a decade.

It's the reason people buy consoles

In this case the metacritic is massively important to Nintendo as they are trying to sell a new console with this game and media buzz like this is going to help tremendously. Sales are important no doubt but an extra 250k console sales because of good reviews are more important to them then selling 1M more Wii U copies.

Sales are sales. Wherever they get their money. Sure they want Switch but they'll happily take WiiU money.

Amused

Then there are a lot of idiots. Sales are more important than MC score. Both games will sell fine.

That there are.

Just to clarify, celebrating great scores and great sales are both good things. Making it a competition in the fanboyish way we see both here and other places is the stupid part.

Hermii

What worries me is that I have already pulled a sickie to play Horizon (yesterday & today) and I am still not even halfway through that. Looks like I will have to extend my illness through next week!

You should hope your boss never finds out your gaf username.

Whats the main difference in gameplay between the two games?

Read quite a few reviews and I am struck by how many similarities there are behind the game design philosophies of both Horizon and Zelda: Botw. Both have tried to minimize the bloat and focus on emergent, challenging and FUN combat with level scaling tied to armor and weapon upgrades. No enemy scaling like the Bethesda games for example. They both have these diversionary temples (shrines in Zelda's case, Cauldrons in Horizon's) which reward the player with useful loot.
The setting of a world gone back to nature with remnants of scifi technology from a different era and the mystery of how it got there is also shared by the two games.
There are other similarities and of course just as many differences which means they are still very much their own things.
Tbh, I don't know which game I will enjoy more - Horizon has the story hooks and technical mastery but Zelda seems to have the more surprising and 'freeform' open world.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I'm so happy this is gonna be on the Wii U too, because I need to play it, but I can't pick up a switch for a few months at least.

Audioboxer

Finally something arguably more deserving to sit up there at GTA4s 98, which was ridiculously inflated (even although it is a good game).

Some are posting about how they feel sorry for GG because of the reviews for Zelda. So the actual sales are a far more important factor than an MC comparison.

Zelda outdoing Horizon in MC matters precisely little because Horizon is at that point where it's sales are looking to be huge, which isn't always something that's set it stone. And that makes the MC analysis the foolish one, not the sales talk.

If anything I bet GG are super happy they get to take a nice break to play another amazing game after finishing their game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom