• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many good games, so little time. I have my copy arriving tomorrow. Unfortunately, I won't be able to play it until I get the Switch sometime late this year.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
You may be correct but you can't deny a perk of a franchise is that you have that. Recognizable protagonists, worlds and enemies are part of the fun of games. Of course this is a better game for being a Zelda game and not a new IP, people care about Zelda.

I think you nailed it essentially: preference by title because of existing emotional investment rather than objective review of the sum total.

Chaos17

6OE7pEsQ3DHtc2k7P5RZ2xXH2c1wK.jpg

The equivalent of Majora's Mask

Lmao!

m@cross

Great scores, good to see N can still bring a big game to the market. Now give me two more games that have similar quality and I see myself grabbing a Switch around the holidays.

Maiar_m

The difference between reviews and their on site content is so funny to me. They talk about games like they are the gift of gods and they only exist to worship video games and then they put out fair reviews. 4/5 it's alright.

Indeed. That's why they are good reviews. Easy Allies love video games and when they're streaming or just talking about games, they get hyped very fast. When it's time to do the ol' journalism work though, they're perfectly able to put hype aside and give faire statements.

I don't care a iota about scores, they're as meaningless as it comes, but if the game isn't perfect in every way, I can fully understand the final choice.

Papacheeks

Banned
Be nice if other reviewers would touch on how bad the frame rate get's. Eazy Allies are the only ones that actually apply that issue to their score.

Said in dense forest area's frame rate almost becomes unplayble.

Hopefully there's a patch soon.

I really wish I had funds for a Switch, so I can play the superior version of Zelda. I guess this will be one of the rare times I buy a game on two different platforms. I just knew this game was going to be special, but I personally was expecting a 90-92 metacritic due to being Nintendo's first open world game, but 98 is just insane. Congrats to The Big N!

mhayes86

If the game really keeps the 98 Meta score can we make the ot:
Breath of the Wild |OT| It's 98 all over again

Underrated post.

I can't believe this is finally happening!

What is the consensus when comparing BotW to OoT? I've seen a few say BotW is the best game they've played, while others say it's the best game since OoT.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Must suck for other developers knowing GoTY was decided in March.

orioto

Good Art™
Really what's the point of the war with horizon lol... Is this the 90's and you're 14 and have to chose your only game this year? They are not even on the same console.

Anyway, all of that is great really. It's not said enough how, much more than a seemingly perfect game, BotW is the most revolutionnary, ballsy thing Nintendo did in 20 years.

Seeing it's recognized enough to create curiosity among non traditional fans makes me so hopful.I've been saying for years Nintendo needed to find it's ambition back, lose the fan service spirit and think "How can we do better than others"

I really hope the game sells like no zelda before and pushes the switch like crazy, and that Nintendo keep that spirit.

I think you nailed it essentially: preference by title because of existing emotional investment rather than objective review of the sum total.

Except, no. Your first post had you listing all these things you didn't see in reviews, but they are quite clearly present even in the review summaries in the OP. At this point you're being intentionally obtuse. This game does a LOT of things new and differently than any other game ever has, and it does it in amazing ways according to the reviews.

But you know, if it was called The Story of Belda it would be sitting at 60% right? /s

KAL2006

Banned
I have a feeling Mario Oddyssey will also be a 95+ Metacritic game

Nintendo going all in on core gamers and giving their franchises the love they deserve. Don't get me wrong Skyward Sword and Mario 3D World were great. But people wanted open world Zelda game with the Nintendo magic, a Mario 64 successor. Although these games maybe more complicated for casuals in comparison to waggle Zelda and Linear Mario, hardcore gamers will fall in love if Nintendo keeps appealing to the hardcore.

Now we need a next gen Metroid game, a full 3D Pokémon. I prefer a few must buys over loads of okay games.

jett

D-Member
This is going to end up being the highest rated game of the generation. Nintendo's really done it this time.

I was expecting something awful, this isn't bad at all.
vYeMnCW.png

It's hilarious because a few days ago people were giving Damiani grief that he would not be able to be unbiased due to how much of a Zelda fan he is LOL.

Jashobeam

I think back to that thread a few days back where they asked if reviews were always objective. I think these review scores provide a ready answer.

There's nothing I've seen listed in any of these reviews which blows your mind. No boundary pushing depth or complexity, no underheard of mechanics. The story telling remains rote, the technical perfomance is acceptable and there's the usual mixture of combat, traversal and puzzles.

There's no redefining of the open world scenario and nothing in the combat which is radically different from what we've seen before. Why the perfect 10s? What kind of otherworldly achievement would merit that? Simply being a Zelda game in a critical forum who's leading voices grew up with Ocarina of Time.

That's my takeaway.

"This isn't your typical boiler plate open world cash grab, rife with to-do lists and busywork. Zelda: Breath of the Wild is an evolution of the formula for both eastern and western philosophies alike, and a new blueprint." - Destructoid

Maybe play the game first before you jump to conclusions

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
So Glad this is the last game to complete such an amazing collection of wii-u games, I doubt I'll ever get a switch.

Even if you hate Nintendo, you have to admit, 98 Metacritic is nuts by today's standards, even if it drops as low as 95. You can call it launch hype, Nintendo games getting a boost in reviews, whatever but this is something else. Kudos to you Nintendo, I'll definitely check it out some day on the Wii U this year.

Best wishes.

Realeza

Banned
Let's admit it: you all knew this was gonna be something special the moment the subtitle was revealed. Breath of the Wild. I heard that and I knew we were in for this.

These are incredible scores. Definitely need to play this game down the road! Just realized that PC gamers are missing out on a ton of great games this first quarter of 2017 (Zelda, Horizon, Nioh, Yakuza 0 etc....)

It's hilarious because a few days ago people were giving Damiani grief that he would not be able to be unbiased due to how much of a Zelda fan he is LOL.

He's always been more critical of the series than the bast majority of critics, didn't he give Wind Waker HD a 7.8?

I think fans are always more critical of major entries and sometimes have a harder time adjusting to changes. That being said Damiani had some legit complaints like frame rate issues, not something I would consider that a flaw on the game but it certainly is for other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom