• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akhe

I'm so happy!!

Gaf right now:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Calm Mind

giphy.gif

Despite being open world both games seem very much geared towards different audiences and both are thus-far acclaimed. Admittedly I have only played one but I'm buying a Nintendo home console for the first time just to play Zelda however people really need to chill out with this adversarial shit, I saw it in almost every Horizon Zero Dawn thread and now the game is out, its great and people should be enjoying it we still get this kind of stuff.

I know you're joking but the sentiment isn't any less annoying.

I wouldn't, Horizon will be fine.

Come to think of it, how is Zelda's marketing? I've seen none in the UK for the Switch or this game whereas Horizon is fucking everywhere.

Plus with Sony's install base it's gonna to be interesting to see what sells better, not from a console wars standpoint but from a general interest.

This is adorable.

DoubleYou

I think back to that thread a few days back where they asked if reviews were always objective. I think these review scores provide a ready answer.

There's nothing I've seen listed in any of these reviews which blows your mind. No boundary pushing depth or complexity, no underheard of mechanics. The story telling remains rote, the technical perfomance is acceptable and there's the usual mixture of combat, traversal and puzzles.

There's no redefining of the open world scenario and nothing in the combat which is radically different from what we've seen before. Why the perfect 10s? What kind of otherworldly achievement would merit that? Simply being a Zelda game in a critical forum who's leading voices grew up with Ocarina of Time.

That's my takeaway.

Hm, it's almost like there's more to a game than being able to pinpoint mechanics and technical achievements. 🤔

Damn, son. All of those 10/10. I was planning on getting this for the Wii U, but ended up canceling my amazon order since I wouldn't be getting it delivered day 1. Have the day off on Friday so i'm going to wake up early and wait for target to open. I think i'm just gonna end up buying a Switch if I can. The hype is real.

zulux21

seeing some of these wii-u / cemu posts make me wish this was Switch-only to help push the device more

i really doubt switch only would have changed much.
it's not like the switch version runs super smooth. and it also isn't like nintendo wouldn't have spent time optimizing the switch version the best they could.

ekgrey

I'm legit shocked. I expected it to be great, but figured like 89 meta, maaaaybe breaking into the low 90s. A 98 these days is insane.

Congrats to the team. Gonna be awhile but I can't wait to play it!

bigjig

Wow insane scores, 30 years on and Nintendo is still schooling the rest of the gaming industry on how to make a great game :)

Koozek

Can anyone say 'moneyhat'?

Jeez, I'm looking at this thread and I'm seeing what I guess full grown ADULTS losing there minds over a game for CHILDREN. I guess it's good at what its supposed to do which is to entertain kids but some of you need to GROW UP, y'all acting like your at kindergarten LMAO.

I guess it like with Disney, sure the films are good and maybe an adult can enjoy them if he has to be in the room but you have LOST YOUR MIND if you think you can compare those films to adult movies like scareface and the fast and furious franchise.

If you like this game you NEED to grow up, that's all their is too it.
12ZDIx1Mw1cXVm.gif

This is adorable.
Thanks darling.

I'm here if you ever need to elaborate more on your posts, I hope you know that.

-edit-
I looked at your post history. I'm not attacking your new favourite thing, I'm interested in the sales because I want to see how much weight the 'older' IPs hold in the gaming industry these days and whether or not there seems to have been a dramatic shift away from these because of either the failings of the Wii U to appeal to a wide audience or because of people getting being more likely to buy new IPs. Maybe there's more, who knows. Zelda probably has better legs though.

So salty. :D
Jesus, this is why I don't post in review threads very often. I thought I'd prefaced that post enough but apparently not.

seeing some of these wii-u / cemu posts make me wish this was Switch-only to help push the device more

So do I, but there would of been a backlash of the century if Nintendo did that, so it's good they stuck to their guns and released it on Wii U as promised.

Of course, to the mass audience who don't post on GAF and never owned a Wii U, BOTW basically is Switch exclusive, so it's not a big deal. A similar thing with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which is why I'm curious how much it will sell in comparison to the Wii U version.

Watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look because I trust Ryckert's opinion when it comes to Nintendo.

Although the constant coaching and narration from the other two guys was near insufferable I am glad I watched it, specifically the spoiler section. Was going to just Wii U this thing but now I want a Switch, the amiibos and whatever else I can get for this game..it looks incredible.

Anyway, all of that is great really. It's not said enough how, much more than a seemingly perfect game, BotW is the most revolutionnary, ballsy thing Nintendo did in 20 years.

I haven't really looked too deeply into the game, but this seems like a real stretch. What about the Wii era? Totally new control mechanism and focus?

This seems like Nintendo doing open world their own way... Hardly the most revolutionary thing they have done even in the last decade?

Not to take away from the games damn near best ever reception, just no feeling the revolutionary angle.

Audioboxer

Wow insane scores, 30 years on and Nintendo is still schooling the rest of the gaming industry on how to make a great game :)

I'm still legit left scratching my head to this day how Sony and MS simply cannot do an adventure game like Nintendo can Zelda. Even when they try they either miss a boatload of charm, or they chase the hyper-realistic angle which can often be drab. Zelda seems like it will always be the king of adventure games.

Throw Animal Crossing and Pokemon in there too, and it's like Sony and MS, do you even know how to adventure? Although, speaking of those two titles, Nintendo, home console versions pls (although okay, Switch will make everything home console too).

Let them make a MM to this game's OoT.
Same world, dark and bizarre new story and a unique twist in game mechanics the series hasn't seen before.

Talking about Majora's Mask now with friends I've called it like an expansion to Ocarina of Time. But now we're in a time an expansion for Breath of the Wild can and will happen. Believe.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
i really doubt switch only would have changed much.
it's not like the switch version runs super smooth. and it also isn't like nintendo wouldn't have spent time optimizing the switch version the best they could.

It would at least prevent piracy from happening anywhere near the launch window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom