• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSESN

I can understand the MC score rivalry, but why do people care which one sells more than the other lol

Yeah, in the end it will be quite close to make a difference imo. Zelda will sell more in Japan, HZD in europe and both will sell great in America. It remember that topic about Pokemon XY outselling GTA V.

_Clash_

I think back to that thread a few days back where they asked if reviews were always objective. I think these review scores provide a ready answer.

There's nothing I've seen listed in any of these reviews which blows your mind. No boundary pushing depth or complexity, no underheard of mechanics. The story telling remains rote, the technical perfomance is acceptable and there's the usual mixture of combat, traversal and puzzles.

There's no redefining of the open world scenario and nothing in the combat which is radically different from what we've seen before. Why the perfect 10s? What kind of otherworldly achievement would merit that? Simply being a Zelda game in a critical forum who's leading voices grew up with Ocarina of Time.

That's my takeaway.

open your eyes?

Milennia

Logan and Zelda on the same day

obama-sweating-2-e1427916038978.jpg

I have class this morning until 3:15 then it's off to the double combo wombo
Can't contain myself

A "Nintendo should go 3rd party" post in a thread about literally the best reviewed game in decades.

Fucking lol.

I never said "go third party", i said they should step their game up on the hardware department. It's not that difficult. If the only flaw reviewers find is minor performance stuff it's kind of obvious what they should do.

jacobeid

Banned

I love this. Both games can be great without taking anything away from the other. Everyone should be so happy that we're finally getting a slew of quality releases that aren't broken at launch!

Horizon is absolutely going to get played by me, after Zelda. In a perfect world I could take a week off from work lol.

I think back to that thread a few days back where they asked if reviews were always objective. I think these review scores provide a ready answer.

There's nothing I've seen listed in any of these reviews which blows your mind. No boundary pushing depth or complexity, no underheard of mechanics. The story telling remains rote, the technical perfomance is acceptable and there's the usual mixture of combat, traversal and puzzles.

There's no redefining of the open world scenario and nothing in the combat which is radically different from what we've seen before. Why the perfect 10s? What kind of otherworldly achievement would merit that? Simply being a Zelda game in a critical forum who's leading voices grew up with Ocarina of Time.

That's my takeaway.

You CLEARLY didn't read any review. Because they all pointed out the exact same things you are telling they lack off.

So when exactly does the Zelda cycle begin to take effect? /s

But seriously those scores are something else. I'm worried I might spend my time at work reading reviews haha.

Kysen

Wow, so err how does the WiiU version fare? I blew £300 yesterday on something else, don't want to have to buy another console to play this.

Sandfox

Eh, let's not act like as if an MC score is more important than actual sales.

Neither game is going to bomb so sales talk really isn't that important either outside of people wanting to use it to pump of their game. Horizon will put up big numbers and I wouldn't be surprised if BotW ended up being the best selling Zelda game ever.

hughesta

Banned
I was expecting greatness but holy shit. Going down the list of reviews in the OP and seeing "best game ever made" and "best zelda," over and over and over and over, actually has me feeling shook, and getting a little emotional. Maybe because it's so early for me.

It's weird.

So sad I have to wait until the next day to get my system, but I'm just glad I'm for sure getting one.

Great job, developers! I'm so fucking excited that I get to experience this more or less entirely fresh. Gonna be a great experience.

KAL2006

Banned
Nintendo need to make a new Zelda commercial with all the 10/10 reviews with the best quotes. Some of these quotes are straight up hype.

This could potentially increase Switch sales right?

I'm guessing the Nintendo eshop doesn't let you pay via PayPal Credit? Switch coming tomorrow but haven't bought Zelda yet. Sheeiiit

We don't know.

Probably not hard to find a website that lets you buy eshop cards that'll just send you a picture of the code you have to ente in order to add the funds to your account though. I know of at least on dutch website that lets you do it that way..

Sometimes a game doesn't need every element to be at the height in a person's mind. To me games aren't a sum of graphics, technical prowess or it's story. It's the experience I had with it.

MGSV was a terribly flawed game that I didn't actually finish. But it was one of my favorite games of that year because of how much fun I had playing it when I did. It's mix of systems and gameplay are at the top of my personal list.

I get not everyone wants to buy into the hype and assume the reviewers have some extreme bias, that's your right. But to be incredulous because it's not the perfect game in your eyes is also a bias. Maybe it doesn't "innovate" on any one idea but the mix of those ideas, how they are put together and presented, goes a long way.

I don't care at all what it's cumulative rating is but based on what I've read so far I'm incredibly excited to have this experience myself.

I don't mess with Zelda. At all. I grew up on Sega and Sony consoles. I tried playing OOT about 10 years ago in college and I couldn't finish. Felt like a complete chore. I'm assuming the game hasn't aged well.

But wow, I might have to try this one if I get a Switch. 98?! Damn! I don't often view Metacritic as an indicator of quality, but come on. This one sounds like required playing if you're a video game fan.

Was it mentioned whether the season pass dlc would be available for the WiiU version? Or is it Switch only?

It's available for both.

I don't mess with Zelda. At all. I grew up on Sega and Sony consoles. I tried playing OOT about 10 years ago in college and I couldn't finish. Felt like a complete chore. I'm assuming the game hasn't aged well.

But wow, I might have to try this one if I get a Switch. 98?! Damn! I don't often view Metacritic as an indicator of quality, but come on. This one sounds like required playing if you're a video game fan.

This one seems to feel a bit more like open world games like Skyrim than a traditional Zelda game, so if you liked that I think you'll definitely like this.

Gotta feel for the Xboxers left out in the cold as well haha.
Don't joke, I had an Xbox One S arrive at my house today.

That's my takeaway.
So your implication is that if this exact same game released but wasn't a Zelda game it wouldn't get 10/10 across the board?

You may be correct but you can't deny a perk of a franchise is that you have that. Recognizable protagonists, worlds and enemies are part of the fun of games. Of course this is a better game for being a Zelda game and not a new IP, people care about Zelda.

cheesekao

Nintendo need to make a new Zelda commercial with all the 10/10 reviews with the best quotes. Some of these quotes are straight up hype.

This could potentially increase Switch sales right?
2014 was a monster year for the WiiU but that didn't help much so who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom