• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i read 4-5 reviews and they all point out 1 thing.

Its the best Zelda game ever.

But what i dont get is, why some of them say its the best open world game ever. Did they even compare it with other open world games ?
Thats something i dont get but im still on hold and waiting for a switch price drop. Tomorrow my Gamestop has a demo unit up. I gonna sink some time there with the new Zelda and see this miracle for my self ;)

Fess

Peléo;231323544 said:
Vmhvgqn.png
Hah

Fady K

Funnily enough while most of you will be playing this treasure soon, I'll be starting Twilight Princess a few months from now. Talk about being late to the party. Y'all have a grand time with it which I'm more than sure you will <3

it's the best time to be playing games!!

Indeed bro :) What a time for us gamers.

aravuus

"This isn't your typical boiler plate open world cash grab, rife with to-do lists and busywork. Zelda: Breath of the Wild is an evolution of the formula for both eastern and western philosophies alike, and a new blueprint." - Destructoid

Maybe play the game first before you jump to conclusions

I don't think quoting someone who's just saying it's an evolution without providing any compelling reasons is about to convince anyone who feels different. You're essentially just saying "umm yeah it is!!" lol.

That said, I can totally see why it could be considered an evolution. Don't think any other open world has been this interactive and reactive before, and I really hope other devs take notes here. Static open worlds are boring, they're a lot more fun to fuck around in when everything is governed by a fun physics engine.

I'll judge it when I get to play it myself, but as it is, I'm expecting to enjoy playing around in BOTW's world much more than any other open worlds.

Alrus

That's true. In SS's case, I recall them bundling a golden Wii Remote Plus with some copies of the game, but I guess it wasn't widespread.

It was a limited edition and not everybody is going to fork out for a new Wiimote especially if they already have a couple.

I don't think SS being Motionplus exclusive is the sole reason it did meh though. It came late in the system's life, there might have been some kind of Zelda fatigue and the mandatory motion controls probably put off people too.

giphy.gif

Despite being open world both games seem very much geared towards different audiences and both are thus-far acclaimed. Admittedly I have only played one but I'm buying a Nintendo home console for the first time just to play Zelda however people really need to chill out with this adversarial shit, I saw it in almost every Horizon Zero Dawn thread and now the game is out, its great and people should be enjoying it we still get this kind of stuff.

I know you're joking but the sentiment isn't any less annoying.

I wouldn't, Horizon will be fine.

Come to think of it, how is Zelda's marketing? I've seen none in the UK for the Switch or this game whereas Horizon is fucking everywhere.

Plus with Sony's install base it's gonna to be interesting to see what sells better, not from a console wars standpoint but from a general interest.

So salty. :D

This is going to end up being the highest rated game of the generation. Nintendo's really done it this time.

It's hilarious because a few days ago people were giving Damiani grief that he would not be able to be unbiased due to how much of a Zelda fan he is LOL.
To put in perspective. At 13k views It already has more down votes than their Horizon review that has 90k views. A game that scored lower

Kill3r7

I guess I will pick up a Switch if I can track one down this weekend. My plan was to hold off until the Holidays but this is a must play and I got rid of my WiiU.

Speely

Banned
DEAR GOD.

I expected a very good reception, but some of these reviews, not even counting all the very high scores, have some things to say that are just amazing.

Looks like this is a milestone game in general, not just a milestone Zelda game.

I am so fucking happy and I can't wait until tomorrow.

Pound for Pound the Wii U is gonna end up having a freaking amazing collection of games lol. O_O

Imagine if the game had still just been a Wii U game and receiving these scores, would be such a weird 'ending' feeling.

Aleh

Wow, 98. This is what I miss from having classes start this week, of all weeks.
Too many pages to read though.

Harmen

Damn, not buying a Switch anytime soon but this looks like one hell of a game. Glad Nintendo pulled it off, first Zelda I am hyped for in a long time.

And I hope other developers look at this game in terms of how to do open world design.

So, there is another one that wants to spit into the perfectly brewed Zelda Ratingsoup:

http://www.4players.de/4players.php...0/The_Legend_of_Zelda_Breath_of_the_Wild.html

91/100

I translated their statement at the end: "This is the best Legend of Zelda since Ocarina of Time in my opinion. Nintendo finally advanced [as a developer]. I wish everyone fun with this remarkable adventure."

You might wonder why it's only a mediocre 91/100 then? Because they are german. They gave HORIZON Zero Dawn 86/100 so you guys have something to compare that rating to ;)

I don't think they have given a 100 ever.

jrush64

Banned
giphy.gif

Despite being open world both games seem very much geared towards different audiences and both are thus-far acclaimed. Admittedly I have only played one but I'm buying a Nintendo home console for the first time just to play Zelda however people really need to chill out with this adversarial shit, I saw it in almost every Horizon Zero Dawn thread and now the game is out, its great and people should be enjoying it we still get this kind of stuff.

I know you're joking but the sentiment isn't any less annoying.

I wouldn't, Horizon will be fine.

Come to think of it, how is Zelda's marketing? I've seen none in the UK for the Switch or this game whereas Horizon is fucking everywhere.

Plus with Sony's install base it's gonna to be interesting to see what sells better, not from a console wars standpoint but from a general interest.

oh please dude. If Horizon had gotten a better score. It would just be trolling from Horizon fans.

zulux21

It would at least prevent piracy from happening anywhere near the launch window.

eh, most people don't know that a wiiu emulator exists, and the tiny number of people who will pirate it are far smaller than the number of wiiu owners that will buy this.

not everyone is jumping on the switch train. the majority of people don't buy a console at launch just for one game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom