• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RK9039

Final version I guess.

C56iOgUWAAUeZ7u.png

That looks so photoshopped, those perfect scores look so fake.

Fady K

If I feel this much joy for the game's reception I can't imagine how excited the hardcore Zelda fans must feel! Great times.

oh please dude. If Horizon had gotten a better score. It would just be trolling from Horizon fans.
and I would be against that too.

Also I'm sure Horizon fans did troll in Zelda threads but I didn't follow the game much as I knew I was buying it.

Decrying fanboyism is being salty?
Apparently, its a shame because I've been on cloud nine since the reviews hit (if nothing else it justified the £350 I spent) but people are just a bit weird sometimes. I think perhaps my post was interpreted as shitting on parades? Who knows.

They mentioned Horizon, and pointed out that lots of people own PS4s.

Take that L, Sony FANBOYS!
I've been exposed!

zulux21

I guess I will pick up a Switch if I can track one down this weekend. My plan was to hold off until the Holidays but this is a must play and I got rid of my WiiU.

I really don't know why you would have done that.

even if it was a crappy zelda game an 85+ was guaranteed *shrugs* more like 93+ because of skyward sword but still.

skypunch

Banned
I think back to that thread a few days back where they asked if reviews were always objective. I think these review scores provide a ready answer.

There's nothing I've seen listed in any of these reviews which blows your mind. No boundary pushing depth or complexity, no underheard of mechanics. The story telling remains rote, the technical perfomance is acceptable and there's the usual mixture of combat, traversal and puzzles.

There's no redefining of the open world scenario and nothing in the combat which is radically different from what we've seen before. Why the perfect 10s? What kind of otherworldly achievement would merit that? Simply being a Zelda game in a critical forum who's leading voices grew up with Ocarina of Time.

That's my takeaway.

Absolutely this. What a predictable industry.

Can't wait to see more of Xenoblade 2's world. Of course, even though it's going to be a much more interesting world, it won't get reviewed as well because it's not Zelda.

Yarbskoo

Goddam, those reviews are way more positive than I expected.

I'm sure the Meta scores will be knocked down shortly after release, but I'm still pleasantly surprised.

Fess

Well i read 4-5 reviews and they all point out 1 thing.

Its the best Zelda game ever.

But what i dont get is, why some of them say its the best open world game ever. Did they even compare it with other open world games ?
Thats something i dont get but im still on hold and waiting for a switch price drop. Tomorrow my Gamestop has a demo unit up. I gonna sink some time there with the new Zelda and see this miracle for my self ;)
Probably because all the things you can do, how you traverse the map, the different ways to tackle a problem or enter a fight etc. The sum of all things. It won't beat every game in size but judging by the talk it seems like most other open-world games will seem restricted and almost linear when it comes to the gameplay after we've played BOTW.

Ascenion

Zelda out here saving lives, validating existences, giving purpose where none previously existed. Thank you Nintendo, you were never dead. The world just didn't believe and we are still not ready.

oh please dude. If Horizon had gotten a better score. It would just be trolling from Horizon fans.

First, the chances of that happening were like non-existent.

Second, some Zelda fans have been trolling Horizon threads for a long time now. The opposite is a much rarer occurrence.

zulux21

. It won't beat every game in size but judging by the talk it seems like most other open-world games will seem restricted and almost linear when it comes to the gameplay after we've played BOTW.

i thought one of the things going around was that BOTW literally beats every other game in size.

that it's like 6.5 times bigger than skyrim o_O

I don't understand how people can be reading these reviews and not seeing what the major reason for these scores is. You're either in denial or being intentionally obtuse, the both of you.

The common thread is the realism in interactivity (and reactivity) of the world and the systems, and how it's on another level compared to essentially every other game. A lot of reviews have said something along the lines of "you'll be asking yourself 'can I do this thing?' and the answer will almost always be 'yes!'"

First, the chances of that happening were like non-existent.

Second, some Zelda fans have been trolling Horizon threads for a long time now. The opposite is a much rarer occurrence.

Yep, I am waiting a mod to intervene now, I thought this was made clear in other thread that there is no reason to rile up on each other. Jeez man.

Peroroncino

The game is hard, so going by the latest trend, that means it's a souls like! And that means it the best souls like game ever! Woohoo!

Reaaaally happy with the fact that the game offers a challenge

Can't wait to see more of Xenoblade 2's world. Of course, even though it's going to be a much more interesting world, it won't get reviewed as well because it's not Zelda.

Again, you (which is expected) guys didn't read any review. All off them pointed out the exact same things the other guy says they lack.

It's just trolling and butthurt (again, expected coming from you) at this point

Papacheeks

Banned
I don't understand how people can be reading these reviews and not seeing what the major reason for these scores is. You're either in denial or being intentionally obtuse, the both of you.

The common thread is the realism in interactivity (and reactivity) of the world and the systems, and how it's on another level compared to essentially every other game. A lot of reviews have said something along the lines of "you'll be asking yourself 'can I do this thing?' an the answer will almost always be 'yes!'"

^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom