• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

yeah Horizon will almost assuredly outsell Zelda in the short term (not that sales are the end all be all). I'd bet Zelda will pass it in the long term though. it's attach rate will likely be very high. I can't imagine many people will buy a Switch without also buying BotW.

Although Horizon will most likely get major price decreases in the future while BotW probably won't. Either way, two great games that will both sell incredibly well...good time to be a fan of the genre and games in general!

It's here

8a2AwsR.jpg

Zelda day 0 patch taking a painfully long time to install...

I HATE YOU SO MUCH AAAAAAAGH!!1

So, not sure where else to put it, but apparently My Nintendo is going to offer a mini guide for BotW for gold points. Here's a quote from the downloads press release
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – Mini Guide My Nintendo Reward – Get the game, then redeem your Gold Points to get the guide! This mini guide for the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game is just the thing to help you get started on this epic adventure. It contains the first chapter of The Complete Official Guide and offers a sneak-peek of game features, including combat, landmarks, commands and puzzle features. Visit here starting March 3 to view this My Nintendo reward.

Caelus

One thing I'll say is that I'm so glad I played Twilight Princess HD and then Wink Waker HD in preparation for this game, because having played BotW I'll never be able to look at them the same way again, ever.

Some interesting stuff I hope you find on your playthrough,
There are apparently extra dungeons / mazes hidden in the overworld, depending on the number of shrines you complete or how far to the edge of the map you reach. This might satisfy those with a craving for traditional dungeons

Griss

So, how would you compare it to the dungeons in the original NES game?

As seen in that one "Aonuma Style" video I posted some pages ago, there's a group of people out there that have gotten upset at how most recent Zelda games became more and more focused on puzzle solving instead of "tight, skillful action" from the original two games. Are the dungeons in this more like that?

Dungeon discussion spoilers:
The dungeons in Zelda 1 were totally traditional Zelda dungeons. They had rooms, enemies, keys etc.

These beasts have no enemies, no keys, no 'rooms'. You're just on the inside of a huge mechanical animal using your tools to move pieces around to reach 5 spots.

It's completely unlike anything else ever in the series. And it's really cool! But if there wasn't a boss at the end of each one no one would be confusing this for a dungeon, imo.

Fuck, spoiler tag fail. Sorry it was only two seconds.

Some interesting stuff I hope you find on your playthrough,
There are apparently extra dungeons / mazes hidden in the overworld, depending on the number of shrines you complete or how far to the edge of the map you reach. This might satisfy those with a craving for traditional dungeons

I've seen evidence of this on the map, but find it hard to believe it'll sate that same desire. But it's something to explore later. God, this game always gives you something awesome to aim at... I'm excited all over again.

fantomena

I like this day so far. So much good gaming news to read and games to play, so I have actually for once stopped caring about what new kind of terrible shit Trump is doing.

Mantorok

My chain of events:

• Checks out the switch
  • Hmmm, nice console, but I'll give it a few months until I buy one
  • Watches BotW reviews coming in...
  • NOOOOO.......must........resist......urge....to..buy!!!!!

Galang

Banned
Nier will have some great legs on PC, I think. Yeah, it sucks that its launch-day $60 lunch is going to get eaten, but it will sell pretty well.

Yes! I think and hope it will do quite well on PC. Right now seems like a silly time to release the game... but I suppose it's better to get it out before Persona 5 as well so eh.

Holy shit at the review scores, I dont think I've ever seen such perfect 10's before...
I mean, I knew the game would be amazing but had no idea it would score like this....With people saying it's the best game ever made. Crazy.
Can't wait to get my hands on it tomorrow!

Gurish

I barely post in review threads and I'm not even anywhere near the biggest of Zelda fans despite my great enjoyment of the series; having said that - this is beautiful to see. Not only a perfecting of Zelda's formula by Nintendo it seems, and not only the largest Zelda to date, but probably Nintendo's best creation and one of the very best games of all time, if these reviews are anything to go by. Which is incredible to see and experience.

In the last 12 months alone, Hitman returned to form, we got one of the best console puzzlers in the Witness, we got Nintendo's best strategy game in many years in Fire Emblem Fates, we got one of the most memorable rhythm games of all time in Thumper, ID made their best game in decades with Doom, we got possibly the best and meatiest piece of DLC ever with the Witcher 3 Blood & Wine, we got Blizzard's new IP Overwatch that sweeped GOTY awards and gave everyone one of the freshest multiplayer games in years, we got an action adventure masterpiece in the form of Uncharted 4, we got one of the most acclaimed platformers ever in Inside, The Last Guardian not only finally came out but was actually incredible for gamers, the Yakuza series came back with a bang with Yakuza 0, Resident Evil 7 brought the series back to form and actually scared the shit out of gamers, we got the best Tales games in many years with Berseria, we got probably Koei Tecmo's best game in decades with Nioh, Guerilla finally created their masterpiece with Horizon, and now Nintendo created likely not only the best Zelda game but maybe the best Nintendo game ever for some.

Bottom line is, it's a great honor to live in some of the most exciting times in gaming history with all of you. We shall cherish it :)

Had to quote this msg, it's beautiful :')

H4r4kiri

Interesting from Gamepro.de. It is one of the highest Score they ever gave out. But one of the PLayer said following ( he really really loved it,but):

Google Translation:

I've been looking forward to the new Zelda, trying not to spoil me in advance and looking forward to exciting evenings in tricky dungeons. Breath of the Wild breaks with this tradition, which is at least important to me, and focuses more on the game world than on the dungeons. This makes me sad. I loved the previous Zelda games because I like the game principle: Solve the tricky puzzles in the giant dungeons to get a new item that you have to use purposefully to get ahead.

Breath of the Wild is more like a conventional action-playing game and does not feel like a real Zelda. I do not want to loot and craps, but just more from the old playing principle. It's really hard for me, but in the end, I've been able to arrange with this change and enjoy Breath of the Wild as what it is: No (for me) real Zelda, but a hell of a good action roll.

Leatherface

Wow. This is so exciting to wake up to. I knew this game would be something special but holy shit!!! That final line in the Gamespot review floored me.
"Breath of the Wild is a defining moment for The Legend of Zelda series, and the most impressive game Nintendo has ever created."

As a guy who has grown up loving Nintendo, where some of my fondest gaming memories are when they dared to break boundaries and the rules of gaming, can this truly b the most impressive game Nintendo has ever made? I can't fucking wait to find out!!!!
Can someone recommend a video review that doesn't spoil much? I'd love to watch one because I am excited as hell but I am terrified of ruining things for myself!

Anteo

My chain of events:

• Checks out the switch
  • Hmmm, nice console, but I'll give it a few months until I buy one
  • Watches BotW reviews coming in...
  • NOOOOO.......must........resist......urge....to..buy!!!!!

Its even worse for me, Switch is overpriced in my country and we dont have oficial support so I know I should wait until we get more info about the sync issues but...

I feel I should play this game on switch instead of WiiU. I dont know what to do

Holy shit these reviews! I really hope the Wii U version isn't too rough, i'm definitely picking it up tomorrow. I can put up with a lot of technical issues just for the sake of playing this.

Maybe because it's not something you need to be concerned about? I mean with this much praise everywhere else you choose to listen the one bad review? Just enjoy this day and look forward to the day you get to play what could possibly end up being one of the best games ever. :)

I certainly hope so. I'm not trying to hate on the game. I do see a lot of things I think I would like, but this is also the Zelda game with the most red flags for me. I definitely want to play the game.

elyetis

Yup, going to pick up my Wii U version preorder tomorrow. Excitement levels rising.

It'll be funny if someone with Photoshop skills does a Zelda version of this:

Batman-Arkham-City_GOTY_US_PS3.jpg
Somebody please do this
I did the ground work for one :
But I don't really have time to find good quote from reviews and all to finish it, if someone wants to finish it...

fake edit : just saw that iFirez did it first ( and better ), but hey I also went for the same color scheme.

spekkeh

Banned
And with that I reckon this Switch thing will be sold out for months.

Put that up against NSMBU. An iteration of the same game released three times in three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom