• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven77

Have any reviews taken a close look at the WiiU version? I'm a bit concerned about performance issues because that will be the system I have to play this game on.

Anything on this?

I have a Wii U and honestly some framerate dips are not worth 350 dollars to me. Any analysis or closer looks into graphical differences, and if it is worth a Switch for this game? I have no interest in any other games until Xeno or Mario come out.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The classics like Wind Waker... If you think that Wind Waker, of all games, is better than Skyward Sword, you cannot be helped.

This fragment from the Gamespot review is amazing:

MtLGVae.gif

(I don't think it's a spoiler, but just in case!)
Wow.
I would have never though of doing something like this.

Is there any mention of the reviews about any kind of HD RUMBLE support for Breath of the wild?

Still not sure if it's supported to some degree, would be really weird to not have it

No HD rumble, the game is identical to the Wii U version aside from resolution when docked

I'm surprised that Super Mario 3D World isn't higher. I was playing through the game for the first time recently, and the amount of level diversity is crazy. I am not near the end game content yet. Was the platforming stuff not up to the challenge presented by some of the harder stars in Galaxy 1 and 2?

I honestly consider 3D World the best game in the 3D series and the best Mario game since Super Mario World. The level design is pure brilliance. It's insanely inventive and varied. I had an absolute blast with it, especially in co-op mode.

I think it didn't review as well as Galaxy because of its more linear format. Some would say it's not even a "proper" 3D Mario game.

I just randomly started watching a video about this game, it's the Giant Bomb one where they go immediately to the ending zone. And the genuine fun and giggles they are having while they are messing around is pretty telling.

This game is something special.

Heartfyre

Wtf... 98!? We've returned to ~2007/2008 metascore territory.

Guess it must be good, so. My Switch arrived today, so I'm looking forward to bumbling around the Great Plateau.

Kinsei

Banned
One thing I want to talk about is how to deal with spoilers in the OT. (When does that go up, btw?)

The problem is that what is an early game spoiler for some people will be a '30 hours in' spoiler for others. So if we don't have a system to deal with that, people will either click spoilers and be spoiled or won't click any and not help each other.

There are basically 9 regions in the game. If we were to preface a spoiler with the region, that might make it better. Because if you've explored a region you'll know it's probably safe to click. Only issue is that some region names spoil what race lives there. But otherwise it works. There is still a region I haven't visited after 30 hours of play - I'd know not to click those spoilers.

For example:

Necluda region spoilers: [spoiler tags]How do I climb the tower? In the village where is the X? What does Y NPC do?[/spoiler tags] and so on and so forth.

What do you think? If we were to agree on this it could go in the OT or in one of the first posts.

Honestly, if I have any advice for people it's to go in blind and not look for any help with puzzles or anything else. Playing without a guide was so good... I had to leave a couple of areas and come back with fresh eyes, then figuring it out felt incredible. Had I had the OT I'm sure I would have crumbled and asked someone.

If you're gonna go ask 'Where's the master sword' you're gonna rob yourself of what makes the game great when you stumble upon it for yourself, for example.

That sounds like a great way to deal with spoilers.

dc89

This. :/
Should I wait till I buy a Switch or get the Wii U version tomorrow.

THIS!

My brother got his Wii U version today and said he was initially concerned with hearing about slow downs but he said the little slowdown he has experienced has not detracted from the experience.
He says it's an incredible game and worth it.

Kandinsky

Damn this is crazy, I'm actually considering getting a Switch tomorrow and just skip the WiiU version.

dat Chilean $650 price tag tho D:

The classics like Wind Waker... If you think that Wind Waker, of all games, is better than Skyward Sword, you cannot be helped.

The main reason I think WW > SS is the overworld and freedom of exploration WW gives you. I loved the ocean sailing, and the sense that you never knew what was just beyond the horizon. SS overworld was just an extremely limiting slog that brought no sense of adventure. I also felt WW had more charm, overall. Bonus points for no annoying motion controls.

Griss

So, the four runes: Magnet, Time stop, Bombs, and Ice

Are those all the main item mechanics in the game? Are there any more?

That's your lot. The whole point is that you get them all in the Plateau in the first hour so that the game designers know that you can go anywhere after that. The final locked rune is actually just a camera / collectipedia feature.

Big One

Banned
Anything on this?

I have a Wii U and honestly some framerate dips are not worth 350 dollars to me. Any analysis or closer looks into graphical differences, and if it is worth a Switch for this game? I have no interest in any other games until Xeno or Mario come out.
Watch some streams of the Wii U version if you want to know. There are some framerate drops but it doesn't really hinder the gameplay like it does in some games. It's there but you don't experience anything like excessive screen-tearing or lag.

Also some issues with draw-distance as well. You'll sometimes see rocks loading from afar.

Otherwise the game is perfectly fine. Graphically both games look rather similar but Switch version is slightly better in both graphics and performance.

Griss

Does anyone know if there are multiple save profiles for this game? My wife and I both want to play.

Each user gets only one save file. Just play as different users. Each save file has one manual save and 5 auto-saves in case you need to go back.

jwhit28

The scores are cool, but I'm most excited for how the reviews stress how fresh this game feels as a Zelda game and compared to modern open world games in general.

Speely

Banned
God these reviews. They are absolutely glowing... If my Switch and BotW don't arrive tomorrow I will freak the fuck out.

We've waited soooo loooong!!

ineedit.gif

jahepi

This is crazy!!!!!; time to go back to Nintendo, i haven't had any console since GameCube, I´m having Zelda OOT feelings from my childhood right now.

Great job Nintendo!! Looks to be an amazing experience, might get it when I get the Switch. Still I don't have time to play a lot anymore, but this game, this game, I need to play this!!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The main reason I think WW > SS is the overworld and freedom of exploration WW gives you. I loved the ocean sailing, and the sense that you never knew what was just beyond the horizon. SS overworld was just an extremely limiting slog that brought no sense of adventure. I also felt WW had more charm, overall. Bonus points for no annoying motion controls.
The ocean had a nice feeling to it at first, but it was so incredibly barren. Wind Waker is filled with filler, the first dungeon is the worst stealth area in any Zelda game and it is supremely easy, in particular wrt. puzzle design. SS on the contrary is very tightly designed and its overworld is packed with puzzles and thoughtful design. I agree that it was not focussed on giving mcuh of the impression of an adventure, but gameplay-wise there is nothing where Wind Waker is better than SS at. I can see how SS is less popular with some players with a different focus in Zelda games, but Wind Waker is just so clearly the worst 3D Zelda game in anything other than atmosphere that it isn't even funny.

But Wind Waker is arguably the best Zelda game while Skyward Sword is arguably the worst. Plus you have notoriously trash garbage opinions and tastes.
It's touching to know I have such devout fans.

Generate

Banned

Windwaker is a top tier Zelda game. Easily the most charming one. While I love Skyward Sword a lot more than most, its not as good as WW.

kswiston

No 8.8 from Gamespot? I'm disappoint

Gamestop was often the one major site that would give an 8.5 over whatever the rest of the review industry was slobbering over during the 90+ scoring excesses of 2005-2010. However, it seems like IGN has been lowballing them as often as not in recent years.

sfried

You know what I find ironic?

It's that a certain segment of people have been clamoring for Zelda to be more like Dark Souls for quite some time now (8-4's Mark MacDonald for instance). And we from the looks of things, Nintendo finally makes it. (It's not gritty, but from the footage we've seen it definitely looks balls to the wall tough, with some story elements peppered passively via item descriptions.)

And those same people will still complain regardless because, well, it isn't Dark Souls (although personally haven't heard what Mark MacDonald had to say about BotW's difficulty and the Souls comparisons).

I just don't know anymore.

Crazyorloco

I just woke up and saw my copy shipped, then hopped on GAF to see a 98 Metacritic...
giphy.gif

So happy right now.

Neogaf right now. lol

one thing i'm really happy about is that they increased the difficulty of this zelda. Other zelda games were so easy i would never die in the game. I can't wait for the challenge.

And to think we're getting more content later this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom