• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I put Wind Waker and Skyward Sword on about even footing, maybe giving a slight edge to Skyward Sword because I really enjoyed the motion controls.

But Majora's Mask is better than either of them and is the best Zelda game.

NeOak

FFS guys, this made me thing of this:

kqOPR.jpg

Everyone is giving 5s and 10s, and you give 4.5 as in to break the trend or something lol

smudge

After seeing these reviews, my only regret after buying a second hand wii u just to play this, is that I didn't spend the extra cash to get a switch!

marrec

Banned
You guys serious? I put in like 3 hours and couldn't push myself to keep going.

Maybe I should have.

It's not exactly a rip-roaring experience out of the gate, but it ends up being a pretty good game by the end.

I'd give it an 8.8 out of 10 personally.

meanspartan

So many 10s!!!
Now where's the controversial review...

At this point a 10 that doesn't jizz all over it in the writeup is basically the most controversial we are gonna get :p

(I'm exaggerating because the game did get some 9s, but I am only exaggerating a little haha)

Kindekuma

Banned
Guys is it possible to have 3 characters like in previous Zelda games? I would like to have a save for myself and one for my boy

The save system works by one save file and multiple, multiple autosaves.

If you want to make a totally new save, between you and your son, just have a separate user account on the Switch/Wii U.

sfried

Sorry, but these reviews can't be real. I'm totally fine with Zelda being a good game, but one of the best if not the best game of all time? Are you kidding me? With all those technical issues? With the boring open world?

It would be ok if other games would get similar scores, but it really annoys me that reviewers have double standards. Horizon has been criticized for not having always lip sync speech or some weak water reflections and Nintendo? Link is not even talking...And this is only one example. They can't even bring real arguments and only tell how magical the journey was. Well, what does this mean?

God I love the goal-post moving of some people.

NYCrooner

So what you're saying is that the game is good?

Seriously giddy as fuck. Had no real intentions of getting a Switch but all that has changed. I'm so fucking in it's scary.

What system did you play it on? Was the frame-rate merely annoying at times, or was it so bad that it disrupted your ability to progress through the game? Also, what did you find boring about the world? I have to admit that I haven't seen that criticism repeated in many reviews, but I'm interested to hear an alternative take - no matter how hot. That is, as long as you've actually played the game - which of course you have, right?

I have not played the game. I don't even have a Wii U or Switch. But we have heard now several times that the framerate is not even nearly perfect and we have seen it in some Videos. And the open world...Sorry, but 90% of the videos just showed how Link was traveling through an open world. Without anything interesting to look at, without much enemies, without much to do...The dungeons looked great but everything else just didn't look that great if you asked me.

Again, I'm totally fine with Zelda being a great game. Nearly all Zeldas have been great, but I have a very hard time to believe that this is such a great experience, maybe the best game of all time. Everything that they have shown of the game looked as if Nintendo finally arrived in the current time and is doing stuff that is the standard in other games.

It's hard to take reviews serious if one game get's criticized for minor stuff and others don't.

Has DF planned a analyzis of Zelda?

It's not really freedom when you have to hunt for treasure maps that need to be translated by paying a middle-aged cosplayer exorbitant amount of rupees to locate the different triforce pieces.

People overblow the treasure hunting thing. Yes, Nintendo made a stupid decision to put this boring mission so close to the end of the game (mostly made up for in the HD remake). But it's not like this is the vast majority of the game. When I say I really enjoyed ocean exploring, I'm not talking about that particular mission.

eizarus

Banned
Going from this:

To this:

Is some crazy surreal shit.

This hasn't changed in 20 years lol

It's because it's been that long that Nintendo haven't followed trends that when they do something that shits on a lot of stuff, people have to find reasons to slate them. Just look at this thread with all the mentions of Horizon.
(Which is more my type of game, never really been into Zelda)

Respect to Nintendo for giving their new console one hell of a start.

Red

Neogaf right now. lol

one thing i'm really happy about is that they increased the difficulty of this zelda. Other zelda games were so easy i would never die in the game. I can't wait for the challenge.

And to think we're getting more content later this year.
I have not seen a game over screen in Zelda since first playing LttP in early 90s. I'm looking forward to BotW's difficulty with a mixture of excitement and trepidation. Does it track deaths on the save select screen? I'm so used to seeing 000 that watching the counter go up might break something in me.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
You guys serious? I put in like 3 hours and couldn't push myself to keep going.

Maybe I should have.

You should. The first three hours are a slog, then afterwards it gets amazing. Really fantastic game.

Skyzard

Banned
It's not exactly a rip-roaring experience out of the gate, but it ends up being a pretty good game by the end.

I'd give it an 8.8 out of 10 personally.

You should. The first three hours are a slog, then afterwards it gets amazing. Really fantastic game.

Ok thanks, might have to go back to it after BotW - which starts out SO much stronger for me. Like, a crazy big jump to the hand-holding of TP's start.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I will say that Skyward Sword was better than Wind Waker. Sailing was so boring it's not even funny. WW had a lot of filler and the dungeon design isn't close to as good either. Wind Waker had a cool artstyle. Other than that it's the weakest 3D Zelda. But I say that without having played Majoras Mask.

Timeaisis

Sorry, but these reviews can't be real. I'm totally fine with Zelda being a good game, but one of the best if not the best game of all time? Are you kidding me? With all those technical issues? With the boring open world?

It would be ok if other games would get similar scores, but it really annoys me that reviewers have double standards. Horizon has been criticized for not having always lip sync speech or some weak water reflections and Nintendo? Link is not even talking...And this is only one example. They can't even bring real arguments and only tell how magical the journey was. Well, what does this mean?

Have you played it yet? Do you know if the world is boring? I mean, it very well may be, but you are kind of talking out of your ass here.

sfried

I have not played the game. I don't even have a Wii U or Switch. But we have heard now several times that the framerate is not even nearly perfect and we have seen it in some Videos. And the open world...Sorry, but 90% of the videos just showed how Link was traveling through an open world. Without anything interesting to look at, without much enemies, without much to do...The dungeons looked great but everything else just didn't look that great if you asked me.

Again, I'm totally fine with Zelda being a great game. Nearly all Zeldas have been great, but I have a very hard time to believe that this is such a great experience, maybe the best game of all time. Everything that they have shown of the game looked as if Nintendo finally arrived in the current time and is doing stuff that is the standard in other games.

It's hard to take reviews serious if one game get's criticized for minor stuff and others don't.

Why do you need DF to tell you if a game is great or not?

You should just play it. Maybe not now, but eventually, and make your own opinion based on what you've experienced from doing so.

Eh, but whatever. Haters are going to hate.

Galava

I think that giving an opinion without playing a game is...not right. It's like reviewing a movie without seeing it. Play it, then your opinion can be a valid one.

Nepenthe

Expected a 90-ish on Metacritic. Went to bed anxious.

Woke up to a fucking 98 and claims of it not only being the best game Nintendo ever made, not only the best open world game, but the best video game period?

Is this a dream?

We've waited so long for this game that the impending release day, the reception- It all seems a little surreal. And tomorrow we get to finally, FINALLY, play it. I hope Nintendo is getting drunk as fuck right now because they deserve it. Hell, I wanna have a little launch party! Make it a little more special.

Either way, I'm just overjoyed. ^^

On a serious note, what are the chances of this game doing a GTA IV (high scores that don't hold up after the honeymoon)?

none

GDC video demonstrated that Ninty once again focused on the core elements of the game so it should be a great adventure to play even in a few years from now.

Also I think GTA IV is kind of an exception.

PS: Received my games today but Switch will be here only tomorrow.... noooooo :'(

Aldric

I will say that Skyward Sword was better than Wind Waker. Sailing was so boring it's not even funny. WW had a lot of filler and the dungeon design isn't close to as good either. Wind Waker had a cool artstyle. Other than that it's the weakest 3D Zelda. But I say that without having played Majoras Mask.

Skyward Sword is worse than TWW. Not by much, but SS takes TWW's flaws and multiplies them. The overworld is painfully uninteresting and the way to traverse it is a slog, there's barely any interesting locales and NPCs and it's chock full of padding.

Twilight Princess shouldn't even have a green score on Metacritic.

Don't be stupid.

balgajo

Chû Totoro;231341587 said:
none

GDC video demonstrated that Ninty once again focused on the core elements of the game so it should be a great adventure to play even in a few years from now.

Also I think GTA IV is kind of an exception.

PS: Received my games today but Switch will be here only tomorrow.... noooooo :'(

At least you can taste it.

Been depressed lately. No interest in anything really, including this game. But it's delivering tomorrow nonetheless. If it's really this good it might just save my life.

Skyward Sword is worse than TWW. Not by much, but SS takes TWW's flaws and multiplies them. The overworld is painfully uninteresting and the way to traverse it is a slog, there's barely any interesting locales and NPCs and it's chock full of padding.

N5fWagE.gif

Weebos

Banned
Does waypoint review games? I expected a 10 from them based on their podcast.

I don't think they give scores, or even give a traditional review.

Been depressed lately. No interest in anything really, including this game. But it's delivering tomorrow nonetheless. If it's really this good it might just save my life.

Hey, I've been there. It gets better, seek help if you need it, it helped me a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom