• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daft_Cat

The classics like Wind Waker... If you think that Wind Waker, of all games, is better than Skyward Sword, you cannot be helped.

It's very likely that a clear majority thinks that (for reasons that have been discussed ad nauseam), so at a certain point, one has to wonder if the bolded turns back on you.

That's your lot. The whole point is that you get them all in the Plateau in the first hour so that the game designers know that you can go anywhere after that. The final locked rune is actually just a camera / collectipedia feature.

Whoa...

So you can actually go anywhere and do anything from the first moment you get off the plateau? The only limit is your climbing stamina, really?

Sorry, but these reviews can't be real. I'm totally fine with Zelda being a good game, but one of the best if not the best game of all time? Are you kidding me? With all those technical issues? With the boring open world?

It would be ok if other games would get similar scores, but it really annoys me that reviewers have double standards. Horizon has been criticized for not having always lip sync speech or some weak water reflections and Nintendo? Link is not even talking...And this is only one example. They can't even bring real arguments and only tell how magical the journey was. Well, what does this mean?

killroy87

The classics like Wind Waker... If you think that Wind Waker, of all games, is better than Skyward Sword, you cannot be helped.
I honestly didn't know there were people who liked SS better than WW.

WW is a top five Zelda, it's incredible.
Sorry, but these reviews can't be real. I'm totally fine with Zelda being a good game, but one of the best if not the best game of all time? Are you kidding me? With all those technical issues? With the boring open world?

It would be ok if other games would get similar scores, but it really annoys me that reviewers have double standards. Horizon has been criticized for not having always lip sync speech or some weak water reflections and Nintendo? Link is not even talking...And this is only one example. They can't even bring real arguments and only tell how magical the journey was. Well, what does this mean?

You're focusing 100% on technical aspects lol (and not considering the two different platforms each game is on.

Maybe critics just think Zelda is a better game, technical issues aside.

There are a LOT of movies I would give a perfect score to despite the camera work, sound, or lighting not being the greatest. Hell, my favorite book of all time probably doesn't have the best prose, and my favorite band of all time might not have the best singer.

You think in too binary a fashion.

Have you played the game though?

DrD

Wasn't expecting any game to get above a 95 this gen, let alone a 98. Nintendo will possibly have the two highest rated games of the year with SMO coming as well. Sucks that I can't get a Switch anytime soon, but I'll be there eventually.

DrArchon

Have you played the game yet? Please tell me just how boring the open world is.

Mash83

God dammit, FOMO meter is off the charts right now. Didnt want to buy a switch at launch because the lineup is pretty bad until Mario, IMO.

Fuck it, I guess Ill just jump in.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Great reviews. I hope the game is that high of a quality.

Any indication on what a metacritic review would have been for Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario World? There probably weren't enough publications to gauge this, but their existence is enough for me to question if BotW is the best launch game of a system. The fact that this was delayed from and comes out on the Wii U also puts an asterisk to the claim, but the fact that this is handheld capable too is a positive.

eizarus

Banned
On a serious note, what are the chances of this game doing a GTA IV (high scores that don't hold up after the honeymoon)?

sazzy

I'm in AU, and buying the game on Wii U. Won't be able to get the disc version for another 12 hours, but just checked and its available for download on the eShop right now...

Urgh... so tempted...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Have you actually, you know, played the game?

I'm looking at reviews and gameplay videos now and how she's acting in the cutscenes is....off putting. Also her proportions and what the camera chooses to focus on are not what i expected, especially from family friendly Nintendo Zelda games. Sorry, its just strange, probably because i have not been accustomed to Nintendo franchises since GC.

Its no Fire Emblem Awakening thank goodness. Still gonna be a good game, so i'll def pick it up when i get a switch, i was just musing on if anyone else had mentioned the shift.

AlanOC91

It means you need to take a break from Neogaf and take it easy.

cloudyboy

Neo Member
will have to wait for a bit before getting this game, first Zelda game that get my hyped, and the good score really confirm my hype.

Speely

Banned

A large part of many of these reviews details exactly how the open world is the opposite of boring. It's a big part of why it's so well-received.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The ocean had a nice feeling to it at first, but it was so incredibly barren. Wind Waker is filled with filler, the first dungeon is the worst stealth area in any Zelda game and it is supremely easy, in particular wrt. puzzle design. SS on the contrary is very tightly designed and its overworld is packed with puzzles and thoughtful design. I agree that it was not focussed on giving mcuh of the impression of an adventure, but gameplay-wise there is nothing where Wind Waker is better than SS at. I can see how SS is less popular with some players with a different focus in Zelda games, but Wind Waker is just so clearly the worst 3D Zelda game in anything other than atmosphere that it isn't even funny.

It's touching to know I have such devout fans.
If Skyward Sword didn't have annoying motion controls, had faster text speed, a less shitty sky area and the intro was way shorter I would have loved it. Dungeon design was great.

Twilight Princess is by far my favourite Zelda. It's basically a better version of Ocarina and has the best dungeons in the series. A slow start, though nowhere near as bad as Skyward Sword and it did have a bit too much filler in parts, but all in all I adored Twilight Princess and it's by far my favourite especially for those dungeons.

Also Midna is the GOAT

Daft_Cat

Are you kidding me? With all those technical issues? With the boring open world?

What system did you play it on? Was the frame-rate simply annoying at times, or was it so bad that it disrupted your ability to progress through the game? Also, what did you find boring about the world? I have to admit that I haven't seen that criticism repeated in many reviews, but I'm interested to hear an alternative take - no matter how hot. That is, as long as you've actually played the game - which of course you have.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It's very likely that a clear majority thinks that (for reasons that have been discussed ad nauseam), so at a certain point, one has to wonder if the bolded turns back on you.

Sometimes the majority is wrong. If the majority thinks Wind Waker is better than Skyward Sword, the majority is wrong. I absolutely agree though, it is the most charming, the best looking, one of the best sounding Zeldas and has the best atmorphere. Gameplay-wise it is outstanding in the Zelda series in a negative way though.

sfried

Are you making these people up? We have more reviewers complaining about the opposite.
The opposite? As in "This Zelda is not Zelda enough! Why are they trying to turn it into Dark Souls mixed with MGSV/FarCry/Skyrim/Witcher Ubisoft towers that don't pinpoint locations etc."

Also I've heard a certain segment of people also thought 3D Dot Heroes as being the kind of Zelda they wanted all along.

marrec

Banned
Going from this:

To this:

Is some crazy surreal shit.

This hasn't changed in 20 years lol

Firemind

The main reason I think WW > SS is the overworld and freedom of exploration WW gives you. I loved the ocean sailing, and the sense that you never knew what was just beyond the horizon. SS overworld was just an extremely limiting slog that brought no sense of adventure. I also felt WW had more charm, overall. Bonus points for no annoying motion controls.
It's not really freedom when you have to hunt for treasure maps that need to be translated by paying a middle-aged cosplayer exorbitant amount of rupees to locate the different triforce pieces.

IWWDGy5.png

kunonabi

Majority's are quite often wrong. Wind Waker was an incomplete slog of a game. SS had minor issues with fi and the item notifications. I'll take the mostly skippable opening over WW's horrendous first few hours too. It smokes WW in just about every other department.

Anyway, I watched the easy allies review and I have to admit I was wrong. The rag doll physics are just as shitty as every other game.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
On a serious note, what are the chances of this game doing a GTA IV (high scores that don't hold up after the honeymoon)?

Highly not likely in the case of this game. Mainline Zelda games do usually get inflated reviews, but based on previews and reviews it's likely that this game deserves at least a 9.0.

Big One

Banned

In what capacity is the open world boring?

The technical issues are minor at best judging by the footage we have as well.

As for Horizon, you can't really gauge a game's worth by what it doesn't have unless it affects the game at hand. There is no real benefit to make Link into a dialogue-heavy character in an already dialogue-heavy world. Though I never had that problem in Horizon personally, but I don't see how Zelda should be criticized just because Horizon has something it does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom