• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charamiwa

Banned
Final score should be around 96, maybe 97 if it keeps delivering. Really impressive.

The fact that all the heavy hitters that count more in the metascore gave a 100 should make the score hold easily.

It was unreal for me even w/o internet at the time. The first trailer I saw was in 3D but Link looked more deformed, like Zelda 1 chibi Link, but in 3D. Then some time later a newer trailer came out that showed a version closer to what we got and it felt like one of the most amazing things I had ever seen at the time. Good times.

I remember going to Funcoland (remember that place?) with my older brother to pick it up. I also remember I was too scared to travel through Hyrule at night. It wasn't until a few years later when I got my own computer and gaming communities really exploded online that I really understood Ocarina of Time's impact. I did absolutely love the game when I played it though.

Oh man I cannot wait for this gaaaaaame.

ckaneo

I love mark brown but he is overly reductive to a fault in that episode. he basically boils each dungeon down to the route you take to get through them and nothing more. for how great his youtube channel is in general that video was a huge disappointment.

Basically. In fact, his dungeon analysis basically boils down to how cool his self made map looks

Has anyone seen a full Wii U review yet? I don't care if it's scored or not, I just want to know if the framerate actually is an issue.

They give different weights to publications?

Yes. The major publishers like IGN and Edge have significantly more weight than NintendoFanBlog.org.

And with all the major pubs already raining 10s on BotW, that 98 score is likely to stay. 97 is the lowest it will go.

DonShula

Do you mean outlets or people? I'd been surprised if there was more than one person who reviewed both.

Even most of the outlets are different.

The only outlet that still exists and reviewed both AND gave different scores (that I could find) was Gamepro and they gave OOT a higher score. But even that isn't apples to apples as that outlet used to be a magazine.

Nintenleo

"If there’s a better game out there than Breath of the Wild, I haven’t played it. Nintendo has created, for me, the greatest game of all time. It’s everything I want from a game and one of the most rewarding experiences I’ve ever had". (Trustedreviews.com)

Holy shit

DrArchon

Has anyone seen a full Wii U review yet? I don't care if it's scored or not, I just want to know if the framerate actually is an issue.

I don't even know if Nintendo sent out review copies for the Wii U version, which probably says all you need to know about it.

Flying is just plain not fun, sorry. lt's slow, it's awkward, the vistas are boring as everything blurs into a mass of beige cotton balls and the fast travel system or lack thereof is a clear downgrade compared to the one in Twilight Princess.

I don't think it's any more or less fun than riding the boat around for eons or steering a stubborn horse or, well, jogging. Both times I've played through Skyward I spent minimal amounts of time flying the bird aside from the very few times you're forced to. I used it to get from one place to another and it never took more than a moment or two. I spent most of the time in Skyloft, Eldin, Faron, Lanayru, and in the dungeons.

I dunno, to each his own! It was just a non-issue for me as I didn't do it much, I wasn't flying aimlessly like oh man this is so boring an empty but rather doing the stuff the game was actually giving me to do.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
You should watch Boss Keys if you think Twilight Princess has the best dungeons.

TP's dungeons are great for their puzzles. Non-linearity is not a quality measure, but it is all he is focussing on in the analysis. I love his Game Maker's Tool Kit, but his Zelda analyses are weak.

JeTmAn81

I don't think I've ever had to scroll so long before finding a non-perfect score in a review thread. Get hype! I just hope it's a better game than GTA IV.

I don't even know if Nintendo sent out review copies for the Wii U version, which probably says all you need to know about it.
Nintendo was never going to send wii u review copies regardless of quality. If it's bad it'll hurt wii u sales of the game, if it's the same it might convince people not to make the switch.

I am very much looking forward to this game but people need to chill out with the claims about it being the best Nintendo game ever made, Donkey Kong 94 ain't getting dethroned.

Yonafunu

I love mark brown but he is overly reductive to a fault in that episode. he basically boils each dungeon down to the route you take to get through them and nothing more. for how great his youtube channel is in general that video was a huge disappointment.

It's not reductive, it's the entire point of those videos. They're all about the structures of the dungeons, and how they changed over time, that's what he's looking at. That's what Boss Keys is about.

It's not about the puzzles, atmosphere or boss, it's about how you move through the dungeon.

Ellite25

I have a Switch and this shipping to me tomorrow and yet I wasn't super hyped for this game. Welp, that has changed now haha

Sad part is I've only put a couple of hours into Horizon at this point and I don't want to be split between two big games.

Just woke up... I think? These scores, good lord. Cannot fucking wait to get my hands on this game.

lol this made me laugh.

I am still in shock at these scores. I was so nervous over this game. When I first saw this game, the artist in me that I know exists reacted with inspiration. As such, I knew it had the potential to give Ocarina a run.

The scores seem to indicate it might. I am so giddy and yet reserved with anticipation. Just filled with different emotions.

But I'm out. People like marrec are obviously not capable of starting a discussion.

You're not out because people like marrec are not capable of starting a discussion. You're out because your opinion has no real basis, and you can't substantiate it with any logic.

Your post history is plugs for your PS reviews, and primarily comments on PlayStation games. And that is fine.

Don't act like people shouldn't treat your opinion with skepticism when it's some reactionary fit about how it's unfair Horizon gets judged on a slightly different set of criteria. Reviews and previews have brought up the frame rate issues. They mention the game isn't the best looking thing ever. That ultimately is overcome by gameplay though.

You can enjoy both Horizon and Zelda.

You go on ahead and keep manufacturing enough cognitive dissonance to make sure you don't want to play a game outside your realm of fanboyism. I'll enjoy both games. Thanks.

Cerium

Quot+siri+please+play+some+music+to+help+me+relax+quot+_37f963eabd15abdeea94feb50ea0e793.png

VRMN

Sad part is I've only put a couple of hours into Horizon at this point and I don't want to be split between two big games.
Same. I'm at what feels like the end of the introduction of Horizon and I kind of don't want to go farther now knowing I won't be back to it for a while.

Aldric

I don't think it's any more or less fun than riding the boat around for eons or steering a stubborn horse or, well, jogging. Both times I've played through Skyward I spent minimal amounts of time flying the bird aside from the very few times you're forced to. I used it to get from one place to another and it never took more than a moment or two. I spent most of the time in Skyloft, Eldin, Faron, Lanayru, and in the dungeons.

I dunno, to each his own! It was just a non-issue for me as I didn't do it much, I wasn't flying aimlessly like oh man this is so boring an empty but rather doing the stuff the game was actually giving me to do.

l think sailing is boring too but l enjoy horse riding and even sprinting as wolf Link. Overworld traversal was only one of the elements l talked about anyway, to me SS's biggest flaw was the padding and rehashing of the same three zones, two of them being of very little interest.

The Easy Allies review was pretty good. I dunno, the FPS drops I don't mind, but I'm just not feeling excited, I guess, because of the open world nature. Still, here's hoping it lives up.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Basically. In fact, his dungeon analysis basically boils down to how cool his self made map looks

You're putting words in his mouth. His argument only comes down to linearity. Which is objective.

He clarifies he is not considering in room puzzles and praises other things like dungeons having clear themes.

Tp had tightly designed dungeons, but they were very formulaic in structure. I felt that playing and Brown's analysis formalizes why.

I also felt the dungeons in WW were a boring linear cakewalk. Again proven by Brown's analysis.

Maybe you dont like challenge.

Like Brown, I think that the best oot dungeon is the water temple and that Zelda has been in general decline in terms of dungeon complexity for a while.

Foxxsoxx

Damn those scores are impressive. If Switch had a better lineup of games at launch this might even tempt me to buy one.

Later on perhaps... I haven't played a Zelda game since Windwaker... The need is there.

Steiner

Banned
Here's my review from WWG.

I gave it a 10 - and I meant it. Here's a brief snippet:

As I stepped into Hyrule field, swept as it was with great strokes of green and brown that signal the coming of spring, the moment occurred. It was like magic. In the real world my window was open since we had been enjoying an unseasonably warm night in Tennessee, and a steady breeze brought in the sweet fragrance of rain in the air. On my screen, as the sun dipped below some of Hyrule's grander mountain peaks, there came suddenly a great wind that swept through the fields causing all of the tall grass to lean and whisper. As if eager to join in the natural chorus, a few meditative chords spilled gently from a piano like water from a fount.

I took a deep breath in, and I smelled the air around me. For a moment the outside world and Hyrule came very close, one bleeding into the other like shades of color on an artist's palette. I was completely immersed, and the experience resonated deeply in a soul spot that I hadn't felt fully present since I was a kid. I was free and on an adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom