• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Horizon is honestly fantastic

And I say that as someone who is playing Zelda BotW right this second and is fucking loving it

Yeah, Horizon is incredible. A few low reviews pulled it down. I'm enjoying it more than I have in a long time.

Getting Zelda on Wii U and will definitely pop it in at least play through the plateau section to see what I think, but I'd be suprised if it got me to shelve Horizon. I'll likely main Horizon until it's done given how much I'm loving it. But who knows! I love Zelda games so maybe this will suck me in despite not having the strong story/character focus that has me really engrossed in Horizon (on top of loving the gameplay and world of course).

Joqu

DF are not telling me if a game is great or not. How could they? They are only covering the technical aspect. That's just something that I'm interested in and they do it the best, nothing more.

I will hopefully if Nintendo can give me some arguments to buy the switch.

But I'm out. People like marrec are obviously not capable of starting a discussion.

Dude, I'm not going to give you shit for focusing so much on the technical aspect of it, if that's sincerely what you care about so much that's an acceptable personal preference to have (though I seriously question you questioning reviews over it and bringing up how Horizon scored, clearly they simply valued the gameplay more), but calling the open world boring when you haven't even played the game when all these reviews point to the contrary is straight up nonsensical, surely you can see that.

But maybe that's giving you too much credit, I'm not sure. I'm not one to bring up post histories because there's plenty to be said about mine (let alone bring avatars into the discussion as GAF loves to do), but you've clearly got a strong PlayStation preference. Which I'm totally ok with, but it make your questioning of these reviews somewhat suspect. Just saying.

Horizon seems like a fantastic game anyway, and one that I'm very much looking forward to playing at a later date at that. I see no need for any of this when we're seeing so many great game releases. Fuckin' Nier Automata man! I don't have the time for all of these.

Espada

I pray that this isn't like the last game to get near unanimous 10s, aka, GTA4. But I quickly realized the reviewers were either all paid off (indirectly through advertising) or inflated solely on hype, the more I played, the more the flaws became glaringly obvious. I was never able to finish GTA4 until I got the PC version and could play with cheats.

Skyward Sword was also overrated but didn't get reviews nearly this glowing in this day of lower review scores in general, so I have more confidence in this consensus.

Yeah, I'm getting to the point where I just can't trust reviews for games like this. The series is notorious for bloated reviews and scores that don't accurately portrary the game in question. I still remember getting caught in the hype for WW, TP, and SS had when they were getting 10/10s across the board only to wind up playing decidedly 8/10 titles.

Good point on GTA4, as that is also one of the games I was hyped as hell for thanks to the press only to be let down hard.

kunonabi

And pretty much everything else as well. I am honestly not sure if the dungeons were better in Skyward Sword either. Considering how short,linear and easy they are the only good one was the final dungeon with the sliding block puzzles. They were definitely a huge step back from Twilight Princess and the three main areas kind of being structured like dungeons was a good idea in theory but the execution was incredibly flawed.

I used to think this way but going back to Twilight Princess with the HD release actually turned me around on it. TP'S dungeons are still leagues ahead of OoT, MM, and WW but SS really does blow them out of the water.

ckaneo

I used to think this way but going back to Twilight Princess with the HD release actually turned me around on it. TP'S dungeons are still leagues ahead of OoT, MM, and WW but SS really does blow them out of the water.

Only WW has bad dungeons in my opinion. They are still fun though.

Zakkath

I'm surprised the game is getting so many perfect scores given the framerate issues. Other franchises would not get a pass like Zelda.

NeOak

Or because the frame rate issues were enough to warrant taking off that .5?

I think you should put that in the OT.

c5b98fea87.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231343239&postcount=124

So people may nag less about the framerate issue because they only looked at the reviews thread, lol

Also, Bloodborne says hi.

random25

I'm surprised the game is getting so many perfect scores given the framerate issues. Other franchises would not get a pass like Zelda.

The Last Guardian got lots of 10s despite more obvious technical issues. Same with Souls. And other franchises too. Technical hiccups do not automatically mean it does not deserve a perfect score.

meanspartan

I feel bad for Horizon lol. Not in a sense that it's an inferior game (I haven't played it) but because of similarities to it's settings, it's often hard for people not to compare it rather than see it as a it's own thing.

People were saying the reverse for Zelda after Horizon did so well lol.

DrArchon

It's not unheard of. Bloodborne has a 92 on Metacritic with a number of perfect scores and it's got a bunch of technical problems.

Maxinas

Bloodborne got a pass despite the frame pacing issues, and for the type of game it is, you'd expect a stable 30fps, but no. Don't be like that.

Philippo

One has to think how the hell Nintendo won't disappoint with the next mainline Zelda lol
Alien Biker Zelda here we go

a916

So voice acting is only in certain important sections... the townsfolk and normal NPC are still text bubbles?

A ton of games get great scores with technical issues. Souls games and I believe The Last Guardian reviewed well.

I believe the actual shock of how crazy different this game is compared to previous Zelda's and how much it achieves is why the scores are higher. It is literally crazy how big this game is and all the things you can do.

The Last Guardian just got a pass for having some pretty detrimental technical issues. It definitely happens when the game is high enough quality otherwise.

Good old 8.8 Horizon!

Come on man dont be that guy. Just let people enjoy their games without trying to egg them on. Im so thrilled to see these scroes. Its gonna make the 4 month wait to grab a swtch and play this grueling. Will try to avoid too many spoilers til then

Even though the game is getting a perfect 10, I still can't fathom spending $300 just to play one game. I guess I'm just going to go into media blackout until more games are available for the switch.
I mean, more games are definitely coming and this game will give you at least 100hrs of playtime. And that's not taking into account all the indie games coming soon to the system. But to each their own.

exfatal

Botw didnt beat OoT? Bomba confrimed..

Preorder cancelled..

Super hyped for the game and really surprised that its scoring soo well

ghibli99

Jeebus, I can't believe it! I went from wanting a Switch to not wanting one to wanting one more than ever again. LOL Wii U's gonna have to do though!

phanphare

Banned
One has to think how the hell Nintendo won't disappoint with the next mainline Zelda lol
Alien Biker Zelda here we go

I want a Wind Waker style sequel where it's all oceans and islands

then you figure out that it's the BotW map flooded

then you can actually explore everything underwater

jony_m

Overwhelming scores

Seems like I'll be getting a switch sometime this year then, congrats Nintendo

If I buy digitally on WiiU, will it cross-play with Switch?
LOL just trolling

Toni

I feel bad for Horizon lol. Not in a sense that it's an inferior game (I haven't played it) but because of similarities to it's settings, it's often hard for people not to compare it rather than see it as a it's own thing.

You have no idea the insanity of how this sounds if you actually played Horizon.

Its one if the best games of this entire gen and can go toe to toe with anything you throw it with.

Do yourself a favor, get out of this thread, go buy Horizon and come back to this thread.

The Witcher 3, Zelda and Horizon will be, by far, the best open-world games this generation.
It will be super hard for Rockstar (RDR2) and Bethesda (Elder Scrolls 6) or Ubisoft for that matter, to up the standard that's already been set by these games.

But Horizon? Bloody GOOD open world game.

Don't even get spicy.

Slaythe

I don't see why you would feel bad for Horizon. It's a new IP and it did great.

Both games are amazing, one is above (as it is above everything apparently :D), that's fine, isn't it ?

You should feel bad when games are bad !

In a sense Breath of the Wild is the highest rated game on Metacritic alongside GTA IV. Soul Calibur, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and Ocarina of Time all released before online video game reviews were massively popular, for instance Ocarina of Time has 22 listed reviews in comparison to BotW's 56. Not to down play any of those games, OOT is my all time favourite game and I agree with Soul Calibur being as praised as it is but the amount of reviews are far lower. GTA IV is currently sitting at 64 reviews so even if I disagree with it being so highly regarded it's at least a fair average similar to Breath of the Wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom