• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amikami

Banned
Shaking with excitement already... im nearly 40yrs old :(

Age don't mean shit. Be happy to enjoy things don't matter how old you feel or how childish the thing is.

I'm pissed because I'm stuck in the 2 weeks before finals which mean I can't play for at least 3 weeks after the game...or risk shitty grades. I know whats gunna happen If I play oh God why? :'(

*Before going into the review thread*

I'm expecting mostly 7-8 out of 10s. Not sure this game will review that we...

*Looks at OP*

HOLY SHIT!

Mortemis

Banned
Holy fuck. How am I supposed to cancel my preorder?

Don't be surprised when you see a lot of gaffers calling BotW one the best games of all time too. Just think of how many people have a Zelda game as one of their all time favorites already.

2, maybe 3 of my top five favorites are Zelda games. I'm really hoping this joins them up there for me.

Anyone else close to cancelling their switch but held off until reviews hit, especially zelda?

Just got my email from Best Buy that switch and zelda are both ready for pickup.

Like someone else posted, feels like Christmas. So glad I didnt cancel.

correojon

6 hours to go until it becomes available on the eshop...I checked just in case and found out that I can buy the season pass but not the game itself. That´s cruel, Nintendo :(

Firemind

TP's dungeons are great for their puzzles. Non-linearity is not a quality measure, but it is all he is focussing on in the analysis. I love his Game Maker's Tool Kit, but his Zelda analyses are weak.
I disagree. Nonlinearity is what seperates great and good dungeon design.

Interfectum

Anyone else close to cancelling their switch but held off until reviews hit, especially zelda?

Just got my email from Best Buy that switch and zelda are both ready for pickup.

Like someone else posted, feels like Christmas. So glad I didnt cancel.

Yeah I told myself if Zelda didn't review well I'd wait on the Switch. I'm glad I kept the pre-order.

Debirudog

What Mark Brown sees as complexity in dungeons, I see as more tedious to traverse. They could be interesting in their mechanics but their really more of a hassle for me to explore.

l think sailing is boring too but l enjoy horse riding and even sprinting as wolf Link. Overworld traversal was only one of the elements l talked about anyway, to me SS's biggest flaw was the padding and rehashing of the same three zones, two of them being of very little interest.

Oh well, shit's subjective I guess lol. My only gripes with Skyward was Fi popping up too often, the repeat item notifications and slow-moving text, and having to fight Imprisoned multiple times.

I didn't mind the area "revisits" as they changed up a lot, it wasn't the same thing again by any means. I really liked the Eldin part where you have to scale the mountain and get your shit back. The Tadtones, eh, nothing special but took about 4-5 minutes. I guess if something just doesn't add up to anything substantial that it doesn't bother me.

But whatever fuck Skyward, like any Zelda it has its supporters and detractors, it's all about dat Slice of the Wild right now.

VDenter

Banned
Dungeon wise not really, charming wise? Hell yeah.

And pretty much everything else as well. I am honestly not sure if the dungeons were better in Skyward Sword either. Considering how short,linear and easy they are the only good one was the final dungeon with the sliding block puzzles. They were definitely a huge step back from Twilight Princess and the three main areas kind of being structured like dungeons was a good idea in theory but the execution was incredibly flawed.

The Wart

You're putting words in his mouth. His argument only comes down to linearity. Which is objective.

Sure. But the post that brought it up in this thread was using this as evidence that the dungeons are bad, and suggested the video would cause the scales to fall from your TP-dungeon-loving eyes. People who like TP's dungeons have different priorities than people who do not, and that video isn't going to change many people's minds.

Debirudog

I feel bad for Horizon lol. Not in a sense that it's an inferior game (I haven't played it) but because of similarities to it's settings, it's often hard for people not to compare it rather than see it as a it's own thing.

Chaos17

Übermatik;231343482 said:
The OT is almost done, I promise... PLEASE DON'T HATE ME GAF.

I think you should put that in the OT.

c5b98fea87.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231343239&postcount=124

So people may nag less about the framerate issue because they only looked at the reviews thread, lol

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Here's my review from WWG.

I gave it a 10 - and I meant it. Here's a brief snippet:
Thanks I loved this part:
It doesn't feel at all hyperbolic to say that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be remembered for generations as one of the best games ever produced. The development team had something truly special to give, and they gave it their all. I consider this to be Nintendo's magnum opus, and one of the few games that will define this era of entertainment generally.]

Horizon is honestly fantastic

And I say that as someone who is playing Zelda BotW right this second and is fucking loving it

I'm just kidding around, I think it's funny because of Twilight Princess 8.8-gate so long ago, and now Horizon literally has an 88 at Metacritic. I'm not trying to bring it down or anything though, I've already seen and heard a lot about it, it looks good.

The Lamp

Thank God for this game because I cannot replay through TP anymore. The first three pre-dungeon areas and twilight sections are too tedious.

jrcbandit

I pray that this isn't like the last game to get near unanimous 10s, aka, GTA4. But I quickly realized the reviewers were either all paid off (indirectly through advertising) or inflated solely on hype, the more I played, the more the flaws became glaringly obvious. I was never able to finish GTA4 until I got the PC version and could play with cheats.

Skyward Sword was also overrated but didn't get reviews nearly this glowing in this day of lower review scores in general, so I have more confidence in this consensus.

13ruce

Banned
And pretty much everything else as well. I am honestly not sure if the dungeons were better in Skyward Sword either. Considering how short,linear and easy they are the only good one was the final dungeon with the sliding block puzzles. They were definitely a huge step back from Twilight Princess and the three main areas kind of being structured like dungeons was a good idea in theory but the execution was incredibly flawed.

I also prefer Wind Waker and TP tbh but i did do like Skyward Sword sure it was not perfect but the story and combat imo were great.

If it ever gets a HD remaster i hope they fix some issues. Especialy that imprisoned part.

I still prefer WW and TP story above it but it was cute.

Edit: i also was done with the super linear overworld after i completed it i am happy it's a one time thing it sure was interesting but new zelda games should never do that again.

koss424

Been depressed lately. No interest in anything really, including this game. But it's delivering tomorrow nonetheless. If it's really this good it might just save my life.

I really hope you like it - hang in there okay?

By the way, prepare yourself, I've heard Link doesn't talk.

phanphare

Banned
It's not reductive, it's the entire point of those videos. They're all about the structures of the dungeons, and how they changed over time, that's what he's looking at. That's what Boss Keys is about.

It's not about the puzzles, atmosphere or boss, it's about how you move through the dungeon.

the twilight princess video still sticks out. watch the wind waker one and then compare to the twilight princess one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom