• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

spekkeh

Banned
I'm surprised the game is getting so many perfect scores given the framerate issues. Other franchises would not get a pass like Zelda.
giphy.gif

You mean like that other open world sandbox game that was absolutely torn to shreds by the press, GTAV.

You have no idea the insanity of this sounds if you actually played Horizon.

Its one if the best games of this entire gen and can go toe to toe with anything you throw it with.

Do yourself a favor, get out of this thread, go buy Horizon and come back ro this thread.

Both Zelda and Horizon will be, by far, the best open-world games this generation.
It will be super hard for Rockstar (RDR2) and Bethesda (Elder Scrolls 6) or Ubisoft for that matter, to up the standard that's already been set by these games.

But Horizon? Bloody GOOD open world game.

Don't even get spicy.

Agreed. This year is amazing for open world lovers! Horizon, BotW and RDR2. What a year!!

Downhome

I just can't decide if I should bite the bullet and just get it for my Wii U or take the plunge and splurge for the Switch right now. Augh!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'm surprised the game is getting so many perfect scores given the framerate issues. Other franchises would not get a pass like Zelda.
Like I said when the Edge review released, the fact Zelda reception is so good despite 900p/framerate issues, says all you need to know about how good the game is.

lazyguy

Okay I knew It was going to get amazing scores and a lot of perfect scores but this is legit crazy to me. Sucks that I have to wait a month until I can play it.
While I trust most reviewers I wonder if the game would have gotten the same score if it wasn't Zelda

Monumma

Along with my review I took this 68-picture launch gallery:

https://www.gamereactor.es/noticias...magenes+de+Zelda+Breath+of+the+Wild+y+review/

Too bad Switch doesn't capture 1080p (neither png) when docked just yet.

I wouldn't say it's spoiler-filled per say and it's anyway embedded into the review itself, but ofc includes some shots from later in the game.

I won't click on the last picture (I assume that's what the spoiler is), but those are gorgeous pictures.

Okay I knew It was going to get amazing scores and a lot of perfect scores but this is legit crazy to me. Sucks that I have to wait a month until I can play it.
While I trust most reviewers I wonder if the game would have gotten the same score if it wasn't Zelda

A game just being a "Zelda" game means nothing. Maybe all (most) Zelda games review so well because they're actually fantastic games?

Question: Is there multiple endings in BOTW?

Aonuma confirmed this a while ago, yes.

Anteo

I have a WiiU I dont need a switch

Sigh

CaVaYeRo

I won't click on the last picture (I assume that's what the spoiler is), but those are gorgeous pictures.

Cheers, and keep in mind it looks better on the TV screen (better resolution, no compression). But go ahead, it's not a cutscene, just a lovely creepy walk :)

Wii U copy out for delivery! Pro controller charging (it works with Pro controller, right?). I'll only play an hour or so because I'm knee deep in Horizon and I want to finish that first.

It does matter, however, the frame rate issues aren't as bad as people are making them out to be; at least not bad enough to negatively affect the gameplay.

Yeah that's more what I mean. A bad frame rate can be a factor of a game not being fun, if it's constantly sluggish and jarring then it can distract from someone's enjoyment. The occasional drop is really nothing.

Joqu

I want a Wind Waker style sequel where it's all oceans and islands

then you figure out that it's the BotW map flooded

then you can actually explore everything underwater

Hell yeah.

I honestly don't mind the dungeon thing (I mean I love Wind Waker anyway) but not letting you explore sunken Hyrule is that game's biggest sin. Getting there the first time is magical.

Remake when

jaaz

A game just being a "Zelda" game means nothing. Maybe all (most) Zelda games review so well because they're actually fantastic games?

Come on now. I'm in my early 40's and giddy like a child to play BotW tomorrow, but even I realize there's a heavy, heavy dose of nostalgia in that. Nostalgia is dripping from the reviews as well. And so what? Zelda's spectacular history is well deserved. But let's not kid ourselves.

Matt

There are as many GOTY Awards by different publications as there are Horizon/Zelda comparison posts on Gaf.
Of course there are. But Zelda will easily be the game that wins the vast majority of those awards, and will be the consensus GOTY.

Holy shit, reviews are better than I expected! Looks like I'll feel justified in buying a Switch! I honestly don't think I'd get through a game this long within the next month or so if I was playing on Wii-U. Not enough time in my day where I can sit in front of my TV and play games on it.

Asd202

By the time you complete Zelda, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe willbbe here. If you didn't play it, prepare to be entertained.

Still no a lot especially compared to craziness that PS4 is getting. Also after MK8 there is only Arms and Splatoon which still doesn't have a release date and could release as late as September. Much better to just wait till holidays as Switch should get a price cut or a pack in game by then.

Of course there are. But Zelda will easily be the game that wins the vast majority of those awards, and will be the consensus GOTY.

Depends on what Rockstar will do with RDR2 I think. But yeah Zelda is at this point is a lock.

jaaz

Sigh

Lol, I'm in the same boat. I think the WiiU version will be more than fine. Don't let the hype get to you, it's the same game.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I must be missing something, is there any review mentioning anything about the story or there's a sort of embargo for that too?

Cerium

amazing seeing a game this beloved already but I have to admit I'm disappointed that there probably won't be many review thread meltdowns

We've already had a few.

Don't know why people gotta be mad. This is an achievement for the medium. We never get 98 Metacritics anymore.

RedFox85

Sigh

I spent most of the day yesterday comparing Switch gameplay (docked) and Wii U gameplay and honestly both versions of the game have frame pacing issues and stutter. This made me decide to just grab the Wii U version because I already have that console. If you think you would like to play the majority of the game in handheld mode from what the reviews say that version performs quite flawlessly so there is THAT on the switch but if your primary means of playing the game is on your TV and you already have a Wii U it won't hurt to grab that version as both are hindered. I have also read/watched material from people playing the U version which backs up this claim.

Come on now. I'm in my early 40's and giddy like a child to play BotW tomorrow, but even I realize there's a heavy, heavy dose of nostalgia in that. Nostalgia is dripping from the reviews as well. And so what? Zelda's spectacular history is well deserved. But let's not kid ourselves.

I vehemently, 100% disagree. This is basically a brand new type of Zelda, so nostalgia should not be a factor in enjoyment of this game.

The only reason a "Zelda" game reviews better than a "Belda" game (RIP caipirinha) is because the team that makes Zelda games is one of the best game design teams in the business, and constantly knocks it out of the park. The name itself and the nostalgia would not be affecting essentially every reviewer's score.

Anteo

Lol, I'm in the same boat. I think the WiiU version will be more than fine. Don't let the hype get to you, it's the same game.

But I can take the game to anywhere in my house just like the 3ds.

But the sync issues.

But the better performance.

But...

Gah....

sam777

I am not into Zelda games but bloody hell these scores are extraodinary not sure I have ever seen anything like it before.

The Last Guardian did NOT get a pass. Don't know where people are getting that

Fans have harped on it for technical issues, just like they are with Zelda, but it still got good reviews from critics. Linearity and Trico responsiveness were much bigger talking points than the framerate ever was.

Critics simply look past small technical issues most of the time. And they're right to do so. TLG was a great game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom