• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleYou

Zelda fans today

2333540_o.gif

Kneefoil

I'm going to tamper my expectations and play the game assuming it's going to be around 8/10. Going in expecting a near perfect game, which the current reviews suggest it might be, would likely set me up for disappointment.

That's my gut feeling, anyway.

What games did ppl buy on PS4 or xbone on launch? Was it for power orrr....cuz most of those games were on PS3 and 360 as well

A future investment. People knew that future COD, Battlefield, GTA, and basically every other major title would be on these platforms.
Nintendo just has Nintendo games and unless you like all of them a Nintendo console can be a pretty hefty investment for just very few games.

If you are interested in open world adventures, but in in Mario or Mario Kart it might very well be the case that you buy the Switch just for Zelda.

jaaz

I vehemently, 100% disagree. This is basically a brand new type of Zelda, so nostalgia should not be a factor in enjoyment of this game.

The only reason a "Zelda" game reviews better than a "Belda" game (RIP caipirinha) is because the team that makes Zelda games is one of the best game design teams in the business, and constantly knocks it out of the park. The name itself and the nostalgia would not be affecting essentially every reviewer's score.

You 100% disagree that I'm not feeling nostalgic to play another Zelda game tomorrow? And that none of the reviewers were either despite the fact they say so in their reviews? Or that character recognition and nostalgia don't factor into the enjoyment of a game?

Okay.

I have never played a Zelda game. I'm tempted now though...

I wish I knew what the 'it' factor was for these games though. The videos don't do much for me.
The sense of discovery, fear, wonderment, terror, heroism... that's what dominates the emotional palette while experiencing Breath of the Wild. It is an emotional cocktail I have not experienced in this capacity since I was a child, and more recently, I was beginning to wonder if it would ever happen to me again.

Videos will not do it justice.

You 100% disagree that I'm not feeling nostalgic to play another Zelda game tomorrow? And that none of the reviewers were either despite the fact they say so in their reviews? Or that character recognition and nostalgia don't factor into the enjoyment of a game?

Okay.

No, only what I said, which is that nostalgia did not factor into their review scores. Which is essentially what the first person I was responding to claimed.

Better performance in handheld than docked?

Lol, so bad. The very first game out for the system and the home console is compromised by the stupid design.

Well done, Nintendo, truly brilliant.

The sense of discovery, fear, wonderment, terror, heroism... that's what dominates the emotional palette while experiencing Breath of the Wild. It is an emotional cocktail I have not experienced in this capacity since I was a child, and more recently, I was beginning to wonder if it would ever happen to me again.

Videos will not do it justice.
Well that was a very nice blurb. I really want to play, I don't have a WiiU, I can't justify a Switch. And I have Horizon now and Mass Effect coming up. I might have to wait until the Summer. I hope all of you enjoy, seems to be a home run :)

Blunoise

A future investment. People knew that future COD, Battlefield, GTA, and basically every other major title would be on these platforms.
Nintendo just has Nintendo games and unless you like all of them a Nintendo console can be a pretty hefty investment for just very few games.

If you are interested in open world adventures, but in in Mario or Mario Kart it might very well be the case that you buy the Switch just for Zelda.

I see the switch to have a very good future in terms of first party games, indies, and solid third party exclusives coming. It's Nintendo so it's uncertain to some but I also didn't get a PS4 untill destiny, one game I wanted and I wasn't disappointed. The point of gamers is to play games and if u but a system for one game. Than isn't that the point of a gamer is to play a game you want. If you clearly don't want to play any of the future games announce for the switch then I don't even know why you would like Zelda lol

skypunch

Banned
I've been watching some gameplay clips and I think I'm beginning to understand the focus of the game a lot more and I'm really liking it. I'm specifically looking at the world design and how amazing it looks and just knowing Monolith Soft's touch is all over it gets me giddy. This game looks proper comfy.

I'm glad this game has a really simple story and that it takes a back seat because it allows Xenoblade 2 to be the story-focused Nintendo game. I'm going to be playing BotW for the exploration, world, and combat.

Better performance in handheld than docked?

Lol, so bad. The very first game out for the system and the home console is compromised by the stupid design.

Well done, Nintendo, truly brilliant.

You're looking at it backwards

The big AAA console game on WiiU has been ported to Nintendo's next handheld and can also be played on the TV with a better framerate then the other console version? Sounds like a win to me.

NeOak

The big AAA console game on WiiU has been ported to Nintendo's next handheld and can also be played on the TV with a better framerate then the other console version? Sounds like a win to me.

When in doubt, look at the post history

A game just being a "Zelda" game means nothing. Maybe all (most) Zelda games review so well because they're actually fantastic games?

Not only that but there are plenty of games with "Zelda" in the title that aren't very good and reviewed accordingly. Minish Cap, Four Swords games, even Majora's Mask's remake couldn't crack 90. Triforce Heroes has a MC rating of 73. :S

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
Of course there are. But Zelda will easily be the game that wins the vast majority of those awards, and will be the consensus GOTY.

I agree with you. There is only 1 game which could challenge it and thats RDR2.

No, because I don't care about it being a handheld, and want to play it on my massive TV without compromised performance. Lose/lose.

I haven't and won't play it in handheld mode. So far it's all been docked and that's how my Switch will always be played.

jaaz

Unless this Is a spoiler(s), can we expect to hear the classic Zelda theme and other classic songs, and sound effects (e.g., chest opening, etc.) in BoTW? Or does BotW move completely away from this?

LotusHD

Banned
I've been watching some gameplay clips and I think I'm beginning to understand the focus of the game a lot more and I'm really liking it. I'm specifically looking at the world design and how amazing it looks and just knowing Monolith Soft's touch is all over it gets me giddy. This game looks proper comfy.

I'm glad this game has a really simple story and that it takes a back seat because it allows Xenoblade 2 to be the story-focused Nintendo game. I'm going to be playing BotW for the exploration, world, and combat.

Yay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom