• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better performance in handheld than docked?

Lol, so bad. The very first game out for the system and the home console is compromised by the stupid design.

Well done, Nintendo, truly brilliant.

surely there is a day 1 patch set to fix all this?

that framerate stuff sounds discouraging. The easy allies reviews says at some points the framerate makes it unplayable. If that's true this is getting a free pass because it is zelda. That said the good surely outweighs the bad here considering all the glowing reviews.

Krowley

So glad to hear this game turned out great. Can't wait to play it.

I love the whole concept behind this game. It sounds like the ultimate "hardcore" focused Zelda.

I'm the sort of person who likes to use survival mods when I play elder scrolls games, so all the game systems in this sound really neat to me. And I'm also very intrigued by the apparent change to the dungeon mechanic. I can't believe Nintendo took such a huge risk with this game. I'm glad to see it's paying off.

Hopefully the game sells like hotcakes. I'd like to see ninendo keep taking chances and focusing more on core gamers.

NeOak

Magicraft

Neo Member
I got my WiiU version yesterday and I can say that the game is freaking huge and amazing! Guys it's never been a better time to be a Zelda fan!

KooopaKid

Banned
I started watching the Easy Allies review but quit. My god. We haven't seen anything this game has to offer. It's probably going to end up in my top 10 of all time. So many ideas and diverse gameplay mechanics. It's unbelievable in a world this size. Amazing job Nintendo.

So defensive.

Well what was your point? Address my post for its content or not at all mate.

The performance is worse in docked mode, which is shit for a console which has been designed to work as both. It's a compromised design, with its very first flagship and great game suffering from poor performance.

My post was valid. Yours was shite.

4549792-11090+-+raw+autoplay_gif+gif+sunglasses+the_rock+wwf.gif

Nintendo still got it.

Between this and Horizon, the race for GOTY will be one hell of a show.

Toni

I dunno. If RDR2 makes it out this year...

What a great year for games already.

Nintendo, Rockstar and Naughty Dog are usually the devs that consistently craft GOTY-locked/material games.

Zelda is for sure locked for GOTY contender. Rockstar has Red Dead Redemption 2 and Naughty Dog has Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

We'll see how this pans out, because aside from them, we got some frigging good releases that unexpectedly did really superb critically and are worthy of game of the year spot, but so far from released games, only Horizon has a realistic shot up there.

Nier: Automata could as well and Mass Effect Andromeda from Bioware if it delivers ala Mass Effect 2.

Amazing reviews. Will pick up day 1 for WIIU but probably wont play it till summer. If it's as amazing as the reviews are making it out to be I don't want it to tarnish my enjoyment of other games I'm looking forward to that are releasing soon.

Maxinas

I've been watching some gameplay clips and I think I'm beginning to understand the focus of the game a lot more and I'm really liking it. I'm specifically looking at the world design and how amazing it looks and just knowing Monolith Soft's touch is all over it gets me giddy. This game looks proper comfy.

I'm glad this game has a really simple story and that it takes a back seat because it allows Xenoblade 2 to be the story-focused Nintendo game. I'm going to be playing BotW for the exploration, world, and combat.

First positive comment i've seen from you in this thread.

I remember the IGN review that said it was a paradigm shift and you will basically lose weeks to playing OOT. (which was true on all counts)

Only gets more true as years go on. Ocarina of Time was so groundbreaking and influential to 3D gaming that stuff like Tomb Raider '13 plays more like OoT than it does Tomb Raider '96.

NeOak

Well what was your point? Address my post for its content or not at all mate.

The performance is worse in docked mode, which is shit for a console which has been designed to work as both. It's a compromised design, with its very first flagship and great game suffering from poor performance.

My post was valid. Yours was shite.

Then why are you buying it? You know the drawbacks yet you're still buying it.

GOTY will be interesting this year because there really is something for everyone. Great action games in Nioh and Nier, RE7 is a great survival horror game, BoTW is apparently a masterful Nintendo/open world game, Mass Effect should please Bioware fans, Persona should be a great JRPG, RDR2 will be great for fans of Rockstar style games.

2017s got it all!!

Then why are you buying it? You know the drawbacks yet you're still buying it.
No, I had bought it before the reviews, I have been playing it all day today, and nothing until now said it was better performance in handheld than docked mode.

So, again, what did you mean about my post history? You have conveniently ignored that question, yet again. I guess me being a big Nintendo fan and already having the console and game didn't fit into your pre-conceived narrative? Just man up and admit it and we can move on bud.

ASIS

Since the OT is not up yet I'll ask here.

When will the US WII U Espoo version of the game be up? Like in how many hours?

FinalAres

I'm so happy that this game throws the Zelda formula out the window.

It could easily have just been another Zelda but with a bigger map.

So hype, gonna hold off toll after my holiday next month to get it though.

Holy shit. My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I'm so distressed right now I don't know what to do. I didn't mean to do that to my mom but I'm literally in shock from the reviews tonight. I feel like I'm going to explode. Why the fucking fuck is Horizon losing? This can't be happening. I'm having a fucking breakdown. I don't want to believe the world is so corrupt. I want a future to believe in. I want Sony to be leading and fix this broken industry. I cannot fucking deal with this right now. It wasn't supposed to be like this, I thought Horizon was reviewing well on Metacritic???? This is so fucked.

Ahasverus

... Damn, those are some great scores. I hope this game inspires other developers (BETHESDA PLZ) to get a grip on open world games.
Holy shit. My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I'm so distressed right now I don't know what to do. I didn't mean to do that to my mom but I'm literally in shock from the reviews tonight. I feel like I'm going to explode. Why the fucking fuck is Horizon losing? This can't be happening. I'm having a fucking breakdown. I don't want to believe the world is so corrupt. I want a future to believe in. I want Sony to be leading and fix this broken industry. I cannot fucking deal with this right now. It wasn't supposed to be like this, I thought Horizon was reviewing well on Metacritic???? This is so fucked.
The fuck is this? lol

phanphare

Banned
I started watching the Easy Allies review but quit. My god. We haven't seen anything this game has to offer. It's probably going to end up in my top 10 of all time. So many ideas and diverse gameplay mechanics. It's unbelievable in a world this size. Amazing job Nintendo.

yeah I was watching gamexplain's non spoiler review and I had to stop watching the footage because it was showing so much shit I hadn't seen. I want to go in as fresh as possible.

Aldric

Nier: Automata could as well and Mass Effect Andromeda from Bioware if it delivers ala Mass Effect 2.

l think Automata lacks the mainstream appeal of these other games but it's my second most anticipated game of the year.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

Quonny

Crossposting from the Clickhole thread.

‘Zelda: Breath Of The Wild’ Is A Masterpiece That Proves Japan Is Advanced Enough To Pull Off Another Pearl Harbor

Introducing Split Screen, a new video game review show from ClickHole. This week, Zak and Sam review The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild, the flagship title from Nintendo Switch. Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MitTk8SMN6I

"America maybe has some sort of...guerilla [games] resistance against the Japanese"

damn thats good

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
4549792-11090+-+raw+autoplay_gif+gif+sunglasses+the_rock+wwf.gif

Nintendo still got it.

Between this and Horizon, the race for GOTY will be one hell of a show.
The difference between 88 and 98, is one is the GOTY. With DLCs coming during votes, the Zelda excitement will remain huge. Red Redemption 2 is the real other contender.

Is this some GAF meme I'm not aware of? If so, LOL. If not, holy shit dude, get help.

jaaz

I've been on almost a total blackout on this game. But curious, when people say it throws out the Zelda formula, what do they mean? Sans spoilers please.

Perfect.

Maxinas

I chuckled.

joecanada

This isn't even ...... 2/10. It's not even subtle or witty

TheFuzz

Joke post.

Havel

So about as good as GTA IV then.

Seriously though, what an incredible score. This might be my first Zelda game I pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom