• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

Vibed

Holy shit. My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I'm so distressed right now I don't know what to do. I didn't mean to do that to my mom but I'm literally in shock from the reviews tonight. I feel like I'm going to explode. Why the fucking fuck is Horizon losing? This can't be happening. I'm having a fucking breakdown. I don't want to believe the world is so corrupt. I want a future to believe in. I want Sony to be leading and fix this broken industry. I cannot fucking deal with this right now. It wasn't supposed to be like this, I thought Horizon was reviewing well on Metacritic???? This is so fucked.

Nice.

forrest

formerly nacire
Wake up. Roll over grab the phone. Hit up NeoGAF. Click on BotW Review Thread...

stevebrulewoahaosam.gif

What a list of quotes to wake up to this morning! The fact that there is a new entry in the franchise that is even worthy of discussion of being the best that Nintendo has crafted says so much with the likes of OoT, LttP, MM, WW,etc. in the long list of past titles.

So happy for Nintendo! What a pay off to take such a strong shift in direction for a tried and trusted blueprint that was need of a breath of fresh air. Even with the drought of first party games for much of this launch year, I'm so glad I decided to preorder the Switch and BotW. There are certain moments in gaming you just don't want to miss out on, and one of those times is right now.

So excited!

Magnus

Holy shit. My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I'm so distressed right now I don't know what to do. I didn't mean to do that to my mom but I'm literally in shock from the reviews tonight. I feel like I'm going to explode. Why the fucking fuck is Horizon losing? This can't be happening. I'm having a fucking breakdown. I don't want to believe the world is so corrupt. I want a future to believe in. I want Sony to be leading and fix this broken industry. I cannot fucking deal with this right now. It wasn't supposed to be like this, I thought Horizon was reviewing well on Metacritic???? This is so fucked.

The visual of chicken nuggets flying everywhere is hilarious to me. Thank you.

For those who already played the game: I didn't pre-order a pro controller so I was wondering how this game plays with the joy-con controller? Is a pro controller recommended for this game?

Donnie

Well what was your point? Address my post for its content or not at all mate.

The performance is worse in docked mode, which is shit for a console which has been designed to work as both. It's a compromised design, with its very first flagship and great game suffering from poor performance.

My post was valid. Yours was shite.

It has better visual in docked mode, so I've no idea what your point actually is? You'd prefer to have the same visuals as handheld mode just in a higher res on your big TV so that the frame rate can be perfect? I wouldn't..

Crossposting from the Clickhole thread.

‘Zelda: Breath Of The Wild’ Is A Masterpiece That Proves Japan Is Advanced Enough To Pull Off Another Pearl Harbor

Introducing Split Screen, a new video game review show from ClickHole. This week, Zak and Sam review The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild, the flagship title from Nintendo Switch. Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MitTk8SMN6I

Clickhole really is the best thing to come out of The Onion. Like holy fuck, how do you even come up with a title like that?

Nintendo's tyranny has to end.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Welp...got a god damn Switch for this. So help me god if it's as uninteresting and dull as Skyrim which was seemingly equally lauded.

LMFAO

keraj37

Contacted PSN to add his card back to his account
Amazing score.

Anyone knows when I can get it on Steam?

Just joking.

ReyVGM

If you do that to your mom again over a fucking video game, you'll be banned.

A-V-B

Oh, God. I missed Ocarina of Time's release back in the day because I had a PS1 and not an N64. Here I am again.

I don't want to miss this but I don't want to spend hundreds of bucks on one game >_<

LMFAO

rdytoroll

latest

Doran902

Reviews are amazing! Love that the game comes out on a Friday, going to be a good weekend. Might load up some OoT tonight just to get even more hyped.

The Zero Dawn comparisons are making me want to play that game too it is a shame that Zero Dawn, Zelda and Mass Effect are all so close to each other. Not enough time...........

Lady Gaia

What an amazing year to be a gamer! There has been every indication that this would be incredibly well received by critics, and I'm glad to see that hold true. I can't wait for my copy to arrive so I can dive in, though it'll be hellish trying to juggle this and Horizon. Even so, there's no way I can let the most ambitious Zelda in ages just sit on a shelf.

I can only assume that having a killer app at launch will not only make Switch adopters very happy, but that it will do wonders for the reputation of the system out of the gate. I'd love to see Nintendo find a sizable audience again to justify more large scale investments in unforgettable titles. Make Fire Emblem Switch something remarkable, and do likewise for Metroid and I'll forget all about the dark days of the past few years.

No, I had bought it before the reviews, I have been playing it all day today, and nothing until now said it was better performance in handheld than docked mode.

So, again, what did you mean about my post history? You have conveniently ignored that question, yet again. I guess me being a big Nintendo fan and already having the console and game didn't fit into your pre-conceived narrative? Just man up and admit it and we can move on bud.

This has been reported since January 13th. It also doesn't have anything to do with 'stupid design' as your original complaint stated.

Crayolan

lol this meme

heringer

Too obvious, but I had a chuckle. I give it a Horizon/10.

Easy Allies deserves a lot of praise for their review. They're one of the very few to not only talk about the awful frame rate dips, but not just brush them off as if they aren't an issue.

I can't exactly say I'm surprised that the game has gotten so many 10/10 scores. It's a Zelda game, after all. Still, no game with such glaring performance issues should be given a flat out perfect score. The frame rate issues are some of the worst I've ever seen from a triple A game, and this is just from seeing footage of the game (I'll rent it on Wii U soon).

I'm not exactly a huge Zelda fan, but I've been very happy with the changes and I think thi is a bold step in the right direction. I don't want a game like this to do poorly since this is the first console Zelda game in over a decade that I can call truly excellent but giving the game a perfect score is just straight up biased. You can't give a game a perfect score when it has frame rate deeps that literally freeze the game for a whole second or more!

fantomena

1fd5pcsfxip.gif

Grade-A post.

Alva

I just watched the Easy Allies review, I'm starting to be really hyped for tomorrow.

About the framerate, at this part of the review we clearly see some case of bad freeze.
Sure it's probably only in these wood and this specific enemy but I hope they manage to fix that.

Downhome

I think I have talked myself into getting the Wii U version. I have $45 in Walmart credit from the savings catcher thing that I may just use to get it later today. I'm getting a Switch ASAP, but when some exclusives are out I just need to play. I have Mario Kart for the Wii U so that doesn't even do it either for me. Besides, I'll likely play this mainly on the main TV anyway and if I don't I'll be on the couch in the living room with my wife watching something and I can play it on the Gamepad using the Wii U anyway if need be.

Oh, and besides, it will give me an excuse to play through it a second time eventually as well!

The girl I'm seeing loves Zelda. LOVES. Still plays Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask on her N64.

She's torn on whether or not she should get a Switch or just get a WiiU for Breath of the Wild.

Thoughts?

What in the seven hells is wrong with you.

I just watched the Easy Allies review, I'm starting to be really hyped for tomorrow.

About the framerate, at this part of the review we clearly see some case of bad freeze.
Sure it's probably only in these wood and this specific enemy but I hope they manage to fix that.

It's not. Easy Allies clearly stated that it happened to them multiple times. Not frequently, but enough to be an issue.

Easy Allies deserves a lot of praise for their review. They're one of the very few to not only talk about the awful frame rate dips, but not just brush them off as if they aren't an issue.

I can't exactly say I'm surprised that the game has gotten so many 10/10 scores. It's a Zelda game, after all. Still, no game with such glaring performance issues should be given a flat out perfect score. The frame rate issues are some of the worst I've ever seen from a triple A game, and this is just from seeing footage of the game (I'll rent it on Wii U soon).

I'm not exactly a huge Zelda fan, but I've been very happy with the changes and I think thi is a bold step in the right direction. I don't want a game like this to do poorly since this is the first console Zelda game in over a decade that I can call truly excellent but giving the game a perfect score is just straight up biased. You can't give a game a perfect score when it has frame rate deeps that literally freeze the game for a whole second or more!

I heard Day 1 patch fixes some of these frame drops? I'm not sure.

The Last Guardian and Dark Souls got perfect scores regardless of technical performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom