• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

weekev

Banned
If this hasn't been said already, thank you to dystify for doing such a stellar job of this and the preview thread. Truly magnificent job dude.

Dizzy-4U

It looks like I'm getting my final Wii U game.

I like the concept of the maps having no markers and you have to fill them by yourself instead of the bloated Assasins Creed bullshit. Not everyone will like it but for me it's a nice throwback to drawing your own maps in Zelda 1.

Jesus...those scores. This will probably be the first Ninty console I've owned since the GC, purely for this game.

But I'm hearing that the performance is worse in docked mode? How is that possible?

And while I'm here, can someone please link me the best gameplay video out there at the moment.

jariw

The fascinating thing here is that the reviewers actually review different game experiences, since it's so open world. In earlier Zelda games, they pretty much reviewed the same experiences.

I don't even know where you'd get a WiiU at this point, anyways. I haven't seen them on store shelves for months, and the cheapest WiiU I see on Amazon, used or otherwise, is $305. More expensive than a Switch.

E-flux

people were asking for these a few pages back, not sure if anybody made these yet.

yFY3QtF.jpg

NP65lne.jpg

lazyguy

(most) Zelda games review so well because they're actually fantastic games?
Oh no I know they're amazing games. I've played them and love most of them but I think it's crazy to see so many "perfect" scores. And while I thoroughly believe BOTW is amazing it comes with the Zelda name which carries that high reputation. While I really liked Skyward Sword I don't think it's perfect and I don't think anyone would say it is. Hell some people seem to downright hate the game. But that didn't stop it from getting perfect scores.

The girl I'm seeing loves Zelda. LOVES. Still plays Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask on her N64.

She's torn on whether or not she should get a Switch or just get a WiiU for Breath of the Wild.

Thoughts?
I would say the Switch.

From what I've heard so far I'm worried about the WiiU version. Sounds like it runs poorly.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Holy shit...that sea of 10s (and 5's!) :O :O :O

Can this be the Zelda that the prophecies foretold? The one that will finally dethrone OoT? :O

Anyone who says Metacritic scores don't matter is a liar. A game with a 98 Metacritic is a system seller. As someone who weren't to fond on the switch I've changed my mind.

You'd be doing yourself a disservice as a gamer not to play this.

Lots of (valid) comparisons with Ocarina of Time and the reviews back then, but you know what else this reminds me of?

Metroid Prime.

I remember how excited the reviews got me. There was one in particular that had a line that said something like "This isn't just one of the best games of the year. It's one of the best games of all time".

And, of course, Metroid Prime is indeed still standing as one of the best ever.

I remember back then, for a brief time, Gamestop had a thing where you could pay $5 to get a game a day early. I did that for Metroid Prime. I'd do it right now, if I could.
I'm now considering the possibility of this game surpassing Metroid Prime as my favorite of all time. Tomorrow will be amazing.

You should revisit Blight-town on an Xbox 360. Your memory might be a little hazy.

I didn't play it on 360. Also, to anyone responding to me with "Well, what about Skyrim/TLG/The Last of Us/etc, stop assuming I think those are 10/10 games anyways since I don't. If a game has notable techincal issues then it isn't a flawless or even near-flawless masterpiece.

Most of you who say the frame rate dips and freezing (that several reviewers have pointed out) are just a nitpick haven't even played the game yet. I'll trust a critic whose not afraid to criticize a hyped up game over a critic who could have given the game a 9.9 but decided to give it a 10 because they couldn't keep it in their pants.

ckaneo

It looks like I'm getting my final Wii U game.

I like the concept of the maps having no markers and you have to fill them by yourself instead of the bloated Assasins Creed bullshit. Not everyone will like it but for me it's a nice throwback to drawing your own maps in Zelda 1.

This isnt true. When you activate a quest a marker appears on your map if the quest giver knows where the location is.

the towers just show topography though.

Pinky

Banned
The girl I'm seeing loves Zelda. LOVES. Still plays Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask on her N64.

She's torn on whether or not she should get a Switch or just get a WiiU for Breath of the Wild.

Thoughts?

Regardless of what she decides to do, be sure and do one thing...

Marry her

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, can't remember seeing so many perfect scores

MrS

Banned
Really happy that our Nintendo brothers and sisters finally have something to smile and cheer about

KooopaKid

Banned
I can't believe people are harping on this minor frame rate issue in an otherwise technical masterpiece. how did Skyrim score on PS3 and Xbox 360? If Zelda should be docked for some frame rate hiccups when it seems to have basically zero major glitches, Skyrim should have gotten 5s across the board.

Exactly. Those reviews are a big middle finger to the fps and resolution nitpickers.

Anyone who says Metacritic scores don't matter is a liar. A game with a 98 Metacritic is a system seller. As someone who weren't to fond on the switch I've changed my mind.

You'd be doing yourself a disservice as a gamer not to play this.

It is a system seller for me, but I also want more than 1 game to make my purchase worthwhile. I am holding off until Mario then getting the Switch.

Aroll

Easy Allies deserves a lot of praise for their review. They're one of the very few to not only talk about the awful frame rate dips, but not just brush them off as if they aren't an issue.

I can't exactly say I'm surprised that the game has gotten so many 10/10 scores. It's a Zelda game, after all. Still, no game with such glaring performance issues should be given a flat out perfect score. The frame rate issues are some of the worst I've ever seen from a triple A game, and this is just from seeing footage of the game (I'll rent it on Wii U soon).

I'm not exactly a huge Zelda fan, but I've been very happy with the changes and I think thi is a bold step in the right direction. I don't want a game like this to do poorly since this is the first console Zelda game in over a decade that I can call truly excellent but giving the game a perfect score is just straight up biased. You can't give a game a perfect score when it has frame rate deeps that literally freeze the game for a whole second or more!

The frame rate issues in BoTW are literally on par with practically every single open world game on home consoles. Skyrim at launch was even worse.

Intel_89

I didn't play it on 360. Also, to anyone responding to me with "Well, what about Skyrim/TLG/The Last of Us/etc, stop assuming I think those are 10/10 games anyways since I don't. If a game has notable techincal issues then it isn't a flawless or even near-flawless masterpiece.

I brought it up because you mentioned EZA and praised them for not brushing off the framerate issues, but they haven't been coherent regarding other games. Regardless, to each their own. 9 is still a great score.

jman2050

Lots of (valid) comparisons with Ocarina of Time and the reviews back then, but you know what else this reminds me of?

Metroid Prime.

I remember how excited the reviews got me. There was one in particular that had a line that said something like "This isn't just one of the best games of the year. It's one of the best games of all time".

And, of course, Metroid Prime is indeed still standing as one of the best ever.

I remember back then, for a brief time, Gamestop had a thing where you could pay $5 to get a game a day early. I did that for Metroid Prime. I'd do it right now, if I could.

Hmm, and much like BOTW and modern open-world games, Metroid Prime dove headfirst into an established and saturated genre (FPS in this case) and came out standing among the upper echelon.

Doran902

So this is just a question because I am a giant Zelda fan / buying it day 1 and I don't want people to think I am being critical but what do you guys think this game does to be one of the highest rated games of all time? I haven't played it yet and I am sure it is the masterpiece everyone is saying it is but just from a observational perspective of the games industry as a whole people seem to award innovation so what in peoples opinions does this game do to push things so far forward? I am sure it has to be much more than just open world Zelda.

Woah...

This first quarter is really impressive from Japan all around.

Japan has been killing it this gen. After they struggled to adapt to HD last gen, they've really found their footing now, IMO. Most of my favorite games of this generation so far, have come from Japan and I'm decidedly not a weeb, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom