• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griss

I'm glad I played the game before the reviews as my hype would have been out of control and that might have affected how I felt at the beginning when I was getting to grips with it, or what I was expecting from the overall experience.

Because the reviews are so unprecedentedly good as a whole I feel like people are maybe brushing over the negatives just a bit. This isn't a perfect game, and if you expect that you'll be badly disappointed. It's just an incredibly good one.

Take this from the Eurogamer review:
If Breath of the Wild has one weakness, it's as a story. The grand events of the past seem remote from the teeming world around you, not to mention rather hackneyed, while the English voice acting - sparingly used, thankfully - is stiff and cheesy. Unlike such soulful adventures as Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, Breath of the Wild isn't unduly interested in ordinary people and their stories, and it musters neither the poignant little vignettest nor the strong emotional tenor of those games. It doesn't have the memorable characters and simple, pure narrative purpose of the Wind Waker, either. It's a shame - but it doesn't need those things.

I agree with all of that, for example. Didn't spoil the game at all, but it's strange for a zelda to be fairly devoid of that typical poignancy. There are some people hyped over the moon in this thread right now for whom that's gonna be a real disappointment. How much it affects their experience will differ.

Fuuuuuuuuuu. I want a Switch so bad now. Sigh... Just can't bear myself to play it on Wii U. Happy to see the creators of this game succeed after so many hours were put into it. They must be feeling fantastic right now. Congratulations to all involved.

For me, the glowing praise this game is getting in reviews is beyond overshadowed by the statements being made that it definitely tops Ocarina Of Time.

That is something I never thought I would ever hear a reviewer say about a Zelda game and it has me hyped beyond belief.

Wow, the new reigning champion of the Zelda saga is here!

NeoRausch

7uu5p.jpg

And no console to play it on! 😫

phanphare

Banned
So, I watched one video review on my lunch, from Easy Allies. I wanted to ask you guys who have read/watched a bunch of reviews about the framerate. It looked like there were some genuinely terrible moments. Do many reviews talk about the framerate and how frequent the heavy drops are? (And I know it's better in portable mode.)

gamexplain's review mentioned them and even showed a severe case where it looked like the game froze for a bit

I did see the dualshockers guy say that the day 1 patch addresses this stuff but I haven't seen that confirmed by anyone else

aBarreras

Uncharted 4 doesn't have anything to do with this,totally different genres,series,goals,etc. If you like Zelda you will love BoTW

he is talking about uncharted 4 scoring high because of nostalgia for the franchise, nothing about the games genre or quality

Tahnit

Banned
I cant take it anymore. Zelda still not shipped from BB. More I hear about this the more i want it. This is KILLING ME

Astral Dog

For me, the glowing praise this game is getting in reviews is beyond overshadowed by the statements being made that it definitely tops Ocarina Of Time.

That is something I never thought I would ever hear a reviewer say about a Zelda game and it has me hyped beyond belief.

The bar has been raised at last.BoTW shall be the staple Zelda will look from here on .

Realeza

Banned
For anyone wondering, Jim Sterling is getting the game tomorrow, so review won't be in for a while. He shits on Nintendo but hopes to end up loving the game.

Griss

The bar has been raised at last.BoTW shall be the staple Zelda will look from here on .

This is definitely true. BotW is the new standard, and the OoT 'meme' can finally be put to rest. It was a legendary game for its time, but it will now be remembered as 'of its time' and for it's innovations rather than as 'still the best 3d zelda'.

And that's healthy and good for the series. I really hope BotW becomes the new standard for zelda game design. Even in 2d. A 2d BotW-style zelda would be utterly astonishing.

breakfuss

I'll believe it when I see/play it. OoT remains my favorite game of all time (MGS1 & M64 close seconds). I never doubted BotW would be quality but have they really topped the GOAT with a game originally designed for the freaking Wii U?? It's mind boggling.

I still can't believe it - a Zelda game that tops Ocarina Of Time across the board.

I cannot wait to play this and see for myself. I hold Ocarina of Time in such a high regard that it almost feels like I'll be disappointed no matter what a reviewer says, but I've just got this good feeling that this truly will be the best Zelda game ever made and it will top Ocarina Of Time for me!

marrec

Banned
For anyone wondering, Jim Sterling is getting the game tomorrow, so review won't be in for a while. He shits on Nintendo but hopes to end up loving the game.

He shits on Nintendo as a business, I don't think I can remember a time that he shit on a Nintendo game simply because his beef with Nintendo Co.

phanphare

Banned

people keep bringing him up but Jim never lets his personal grievances with a company cloud his reviews. if it's a good game and he likes it it'll get good marks. if not then it won't.

Rookje

Nostalgia - it's delicate, but potent. Teddy told me that in Greek, "nostalgia" literally means "the pain from an old wound." It's a twinge in your heart far more powerful than memory alone. This device isn't a spaceship, it's a time machine. It goes backwards, and forwards... it takes us to a place where we ache to go again. It's not called the wheel, it's called the carousel. It let's us travel the way a child travels - around and around, and back home again, to a place where we know are loved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom