• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but these reviews can't be real. I'm totally fine with Zelda being a good game, but one of the best if not the best game of all time? Are you kidding me? With all those technical issues? With the boring open world?

It would be ok if other games would get similar scores, but it really annoys me that reviewers have double standards. Horizon has been criticized for not having always lip sync speech or some weak water reflections and Nintendo? Link is not even talking...And this is only one example. They can't even bring real arguments and only tell how magical the journey was. Well, what does this mean?

Lol Is this a joke post?

I'll believe it when I see/play it. OoT remains my favorite game of all time (MGS1 & M64 close seconds). I never doubted BotW would be quality but have they really topped the GOAT with a game originally designed for the freaking Wii U?? It's mind boggling.

Same here.

I feel exactly the same way :)

phanphare

Banned
C57oXErWcAAvJz7.jpg:large

I'm done.

LOL

SRTtoZ

The fact that the game is as big as it is, and looks as good as it does and can be taken on the go is quite amazing.

Koodo

Banned
Okay but WHERE is the preload for Wii U? Yes, I know it got clocked because of the leak, but that is an irrelevant concern now with the floodgates open and an imminent release.

I remember Mario Kart 8 taking an hour or more to download and that was just a fraction of the file size for this game.

Aldric

He shits on Nintendo as a business, I don't think I can remember a time that he shit on a Nintendo game simply because his beef with Nintendo Co.

Funnily enough he's probably the biggest Zelda fanboy among reviewers l know of. He gave excellent scores to all 4 Zelda remakes on 3DS and Wii U.

bounchfx

The fact that the game is as big as it is, and looks as good as it does and can be taken on the go is quite amazing.

You know, I've always wanted portable Skyrim, and we're gonna get that, but honestly maybe this is what I always wanted all along hahah

So you want robots to review it?

Right. That's always a really silly complaint. Long running franchises play on your expectations and past experiences with them, you can't just set that aside and act like it's not part of the equation (for better or worse.)

Nostalgia - it's delicate, but potent. Teddy told me that in Greek, "nostalgia" literally means "the pain from an old wound." It's a twinge in your heart far more powerful than memory alone. This device isn't a spaceship, it's a time machine. It goes backwards, and forwards... it takes us to a place where we ache to go again. It's not called the wheel, it's called the carousel. It let's us travel the way a child travels - around and around, and back home again, to a place where we know are loved.

36261035.jpg

"This game will become a top ten of all time rated game on Thursday." -Me, on our Zeldacast recorded earlier this week and posted this morning.

*performs an obscene gesture in the direction of podcast colleagues Chris Stone and Eric Layman (sarcoa to GAFers)* :-D

big fake

Nostalgia - it's delicate, but potent. Teddy told me that in Greek, "nostalgia" literally means "the pain from an old wound." It's a twinge in your heart far more powerful than memory alone. This device isn't a spaceship, it's a time machine. It goes backwards, and forwards... it takes us to a place where we ache to go again. It's not called the wheel, it's called the carousel. It let's us travel the way a child travels - around and around, and back home again, to a place where we know are loved.

giphy.gif

gfxtwin

It looks like everything I've wanted in a Zelda game. Nintendo finally got with the times and incorporated voice acting and current gen production values, and learned from Fumito Ueda on how to design a compelling, beautiful, ethereal fantasy open world instead of ones that felt like expansive playgrounds.

Only problem is, I can't justify paying $300+ for a console because of two games (this and Mario). The "needs 12 killer exclusives" rule still applies, which is why I only game on PS4 and PC at the moment.

If there's one thing I can appreciate about Nintendo, it's their ability to consistently push out quality titles. Can't wait to play this when I pick up a Switch in a few years. Congrats!

LordKasual

Banned
I can't tell who's joking and who's serious with the "If it wasn't a Zelda game it'd be rated lower" posts.

Well, it's true. Takes nothing away from the game in question. But it's obviously true.

Nostalgic, formulaic, charming, long-running series like Zelda, Mario, Metal Gear ect always earn that reviewing edge that allows reviewers to very clearly notice and address problems and shortcomings, yet still award perfect scores anyway.

Zelda is probably the most obvious example of games that get free review passes though. It's a series that ran its formula about as thin as it could go before it finally changed. While other games are usually criticized for the same thing, Zelda is usually praised for it.

Again, it takes nothing away from the game in question. It probably just makes people salty though because the real disservice is to games that try hard but don't have that same privilege.

marrec

Banned
"This game will become a top ten of all time rated game on Thursday." -Me, on our Zeldacast recorded earlier this week and posted this morning.

*performs an obscene gesture in the direction of podcast colleagues Chris Stone and Eric Layman (sarcoa to GAFers)* :-D

Well you weren't 100% correct

cause it's top five

Krowley

Yeah, I keep forgetting that this is, at least partially, a handheld game.

You can play this game on a HANDHELD system for hours...

some guy on youtube said the Switch would run for 3 hours with this game during actual playtime. I figured it would be about two-thirds of that at most. 3 hours is enough time to really get absorbed in gameplay.

Man... it's so close! I remember telling my brother that it was 42 days left. Then 41. Words cannot express how excited I am for this game. I'm 25, and I feel like I'm 5 again. This thread, believe it or not, has helped me in keeping my hype in check! This day has gone by surprisingly fast thanks to the reactions, gifs and memes in this thread. It's been an emotional ride, ladies and gents: lots of anger and frustration from the delays and the absence of information regarding the game; seeing and experiencing the excitement during E3; tears of joy from the January trailer; discussing possible timelines and superior VA crying. I don't know why this game seems to mean so much to me, and I haven't even played it yet. I'll be hittin' the hay soon. See you on the other side.

Interfectum

I think a lot of that has to do with nostalgia. I'm not saying nostalgia is bad, or that it blinds people from being fair or balance, because that in itself would be unfair. Nostalgia is more than just a fond recollection - it's a real feeling that can either heighten or depress your experience. For many, it seems Breath of the Wild taps into the fond memories many gamers have of Ocarina of Time and wraps that all together with beautiful art direction and classic Nintendo charm.

But for me, I need reviews from someone who doesn't seem to be influenced by that nostalgic feeling or never had it (they don't exist). It's really the only rational view I can accept since I am sadly without any of those fond memories. I can't reminisce about Zelda, so I probably wouldn't be able to get over some of these issues.

It is an illusion that youth is happy, an illusion of those who have lost it; but the young know they are wretched for they are full of the truthless ideal which have been instilled into them, and each time they come in contact with the real, they are bruised and wounded. It looks as if they were victims of a conspiracy; for the games they play, ideal by the necessity of selection, and the conversation of their elders, who look back upon the past through a rosy haze of forgetfulness, prepare them for an unreal life. They must discover for themselves that all they have read and all they have been told are lies, lies, lies; and each discovery is another nail driven into the body on the cross of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom