• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone confirm or point to a review that comments on the story?

Just watched the Gamestop and IGN reviews and they didnt even mention the story....

IS the story any good?!

C57oXErWcAAvJz7.jpg:large

I'm done.

And now the circle is complete.

kinda sceptical seeing how games like uncharted 4 (which i found to be formulaic as hell) or FFXV (which was straight up unfinished)also got a high praise by the critics
you guys think this will be a good game?

i'm worried with the high ratings i might be dissappointed =/

hope so but there seems to be only
dungeons. so i am a bit sceptical

jdstorm

Banned
I'm glad I played the game before the reviews as my hype would have been out of control and that might have affected how I felt at the beginning when I was getting to grips with it, or what I was expecting from the overall experience.

Because the reviews are so unprecedentedly good as a whole I feel like people are maybe brushing over the negatives just a bit. This isn't a perfect game, and if you expect that you'll be badly disappointed. It's just an incredibly good one.

Take this from the Eurogamer review:

I agree with all of that, for example. Didn't spoil the game at all, but it's strange for a zelda to be fairly devoid of that typical poignancy. There are some people hyped over the moon in this thread right now for whom that's gonna be a real disappointment. How much it affects their experience will differ.

Good thing the Latin American and German VA Dubs are excelent. There Should practically be a PSA about this.
Every time i hear the Old Lady voiceover in the trailer my brain continues to ask "Why Nintendo did you not go all out and get Julie Andrews and other British/English A Listers to do these voices"

Making my way through this thread but people are still complaining about easy allies score? Give me a break guys. How are there any scores you can possibly complain about when every major press group is lauding the game? Even if some side site gave it a 6/10 at this point, it would matter less than it ever has.

VanWinkle

I HIGHLY doubt it, but are any of the reviews from people who haven't played any Zelda games in the past? Or at least none of the 3D ones? I'd love to hear their perspective since this will be the first Zelda game I'll be putting much time in (played an hour or so of WW HD but that's it).

Well you weren't 100% correct

cause it's top five

Hehehe

Can anyone confirm or point to a review that comments on the story?

Just watched the Gamestop and IGN reviews and they didnt even mention the story....

IS the story any good?!

It's fine. Most importantly it is intriguing. It's certainly not the absolute driving force in the game, but its delivery is clever and its coherence even in spite of the nonsequential structure of the game is rather impressive.

Peroroncino

100 pages already, well that was fast. Is this some sort of new record? Because hot damn...

where I can change the setting to show 100 posts per page?

Koyuga

I keep waiting for the usual low score or at least sub-90 reviews to pop up, but they never do. I don't know how to process this.

PrimeBeef

kinda sceptical seeing how games like uncharted 4 (which i found to be formulaic as hell) or FFXV (which was straight up unfinished)also got a high praise by the critics

Those games did get high praise, but none had any of truly I am playing one of the greatest games ever feel to them that almost every person who has played BotW has felt.

Slaythe

Can I take a minute to say, I am really grateful that we had such amazing games already 2017.

Playing Horizon right now waiting for the switch, and it's awesome that one my favorite genre is going so strong. :D

And then KH1.5+2.5, ME andromeda and persona 5 are coming...

Wallet argh.

I impulse bought a Switch and Zelda because of you monsters, and that was NOT planned in my budget.

Better be worth it !

hope so but there seems to be only
dungeons. so i am a bit sceptical

They didn't get this type of praise.

joecanada

Anyone who says Metacritic scores don't matter is a liar. A game with a 98 Metacritic is a system seller. As someone who weren't to fond on the switch I've changed my mind.

You'd be doing yourself a disservice as a gamer not to play this.

I guess we'll see it certainly won't sell me a system but the game looks great.

Blader

Christ, I haven't even finished FFXV. Probably won't get this (and the Switch itself) until the summer.

Way too much good shit coming out right now -- games, TV, some movies. And I just put money down on a Criterion sale. I can't keep up!

JawzPause

Hearing a lot of problems with the frame rate which isn't mentioned in some reviews that are giving 10/10.

I really wish reviewers would mention the fps of games on their reviews as it genuinely does have an effect on the gameplay.

That goes for other games such as Bloodborne, which is one of my favourite games, but should have been heavily criticised on the state of the framerate.

If more reviewers spoke of the frame rate of games then i think we'd see less games released in a poor state. It's just unfortunate that a lot of reviewers seem to ignore it.

Kudos to Easy Allies for acknowledging the fps problems and not giving it a full 5/5 due to it.

rdytoroll

Just ordered the game for 55€, after it became available again for delivery on the 10th, even though I won't buy a Switch for another two weeks. I don't think it will get any cheaper for some time knowing Nintendo and it helps spread out the cost over the month a bit. I'm so hyped

I can't tell who's joking and who's serious with the "If it wasn't a Zelda game it'd be rated lower" posts.

Didn't see those posts, but I certainly think that it might have been lower if it wasn't a Zelda game. I didn't play it yet, so I could be completely wrong and the game is the absolute masterpiece that deserves an 98 of course.

I have these doubts mainly because of the recent release of FFXV, a game which I thought would be reviewed fairly this time after FFXIII got way too good reviews. But I and many other people don't think it deserves the score it got for obvious reasons. I doubt that Zelda is really similar, since a 98 doesn't come out of nowhere.

I'm not trying to downplay the success of Zelda, I absolutely loved TP and was looking forward to BotW as the game where Nintendo could go all in with that kind of approach.

There just are sometimes games that are rated too highly just because their part of a famous franchise. I don't think that this problem really applies to Zelda, but I don't think that the franchise argument in regard to reviews is entirely invalid. In some cases, at least.

Macchiato

Eurogamer's point about the story lacking poignancy disappoints me a bit. I know Zelda games aren't known for their Oscar worthy writing but I've always found the 3D games' stories compelling, poignant, and at times moving (except Skyward Sword. Eff Skyward Sword). Does BotW lack that?

Also, to my French peeps: how is the French dub? Is it better than the English one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom