• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Gravijah said:
Heheheh. You'll figure it out, hopefully.

so evil those chickens are not stationary it took me forever to work it out and I played this game when it came out the first time and still forgot where those fools where

I beat this game on 6/23

Since I like the activity log so much I will post my stats when I beat the game.

Playtime: 17:18 (#3 among all logs)
Times Played: 9
average Playtime: 1:55 (#1 among all logs)

Pretty good if I do say so myself. I only played once before but playing again and in the updated graphics, controls, touch screen layouts, and 3d has been awsome.

The final battle a cutscenes with the new graphics was just awsome!

I must say I'm glad I was willing to look more into sidequests. Because I never got the Lens of Truth on my first playthrouh. The Shadow Temple makes sense now!

Also (final dungeon item spoilers)
Why did you need the sidequests for Fire Arrows? Ug It shouldnt require anything thats a side quest jeez. The only part where i looked online to see what to do because I wanted to finish the game and I knew they were'nt in the dungeon. I pretty much guessed you needed fire arrows but I had no idea where to get them! Totally didnt remember that at all on my first playthrough...

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Always leave a farore's wind warp at the top water level change point in the water temple

KevinCow

Banned
There are some alcoves on the Kakariko windmill. How the hell do you get to them?

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out.

That's been bugging me the whole game and there's nothing there.

Muskweeto

Last boss spoiler:
I'm so happy they fixed Ganondorf's cape, in the N64 version after you beat him and he falls to his knees then on his face, his cape would fall right through him and sort of spread like a puddle of... cape. Now it acts like a cape.

Edit:
I feel like I said the word "cape" way too many times.

Celine

WiiRevolution1 said:
I must say I'm glad I was willing to look more into sidequests. Because I never got the Lens of Truth on my first playthrouh. The Shadow Temple makes sense now!
You beat shadow temple without the lens ? That's madness.

WiiRevolution1 said:
I beat this game on 6/23

Since I like the activity log so much I will post my stats when I beat the game.

Playtime: 17:18 (#3 among all logs)
Times Played: 9
average Playtime: 1:55 (#1 among all logs)

Pretty good if I do say so myself. I only played once before but playing again and in the updated graphics, controls, touch screen layouts, and 3d has been awsome.

The final battle a cutscenes with the new graphics was just awsome!

Also (final dungeon item spoilers)
Why did you need the sidequests for Fire Arrows? Ug It shouldnt require anything thats a side quest jeez. The only part where i looked online to see what to do because I wanted to finish the game and I knew they were'nt in the dungeon. I pretty much guessed you needed fire arrows but I had no idea where to get them! Totally didnt remember that at all on my first playthrough...

BUt... you NEED it to nenter the shadow temple....

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
if he never got the lens of truth, I weep for his journey through the Gerudo Desert, jesus.

KevinCow

Banned
Just finished it.

This game has aged amazingly well. Like, there are things that I can point at and say, "Hey, other games did that better."

Combat? As I said earlier, it's basically hold block, then attack when you deflect their attacks.
Puzzles? Nothing really goes beyond basic block pushing and torch lighting.
Dungeons? The largest and most complex dungeon in this game is short and straightforward compared to anything in, say, Twilight Princess.
Overworld? A couple tiny towns and a big, open field. The size of Hyrule Field isn't nearly as impressive as it once was after experiencing the ocean of Wind Waker or the vast expanses of Twilight Princess (and that's just within the Zelda series; let's not even get into modern open world games), and the overworld in Majora's Mask is far more dense, with far more stuff to do.

Yet, none of this really matters. It still all comes together in an amazingly tight package. Even if this stuff was done better in more recent games, none of it is really done poorly in this one. Even the dull combat doesn't hamper the game due to being relatively infrequent.

On top of the game in general being great, the additions to this version make it even better. The improved graphics and framerate. The gyro aiming, which I think surprised everyone by actually being good. The touch screen item management, which I don't think is getting enough credit. The water temple. The 3D. They managed to touch up some of the issues the original had just due to being so old without actually changing the content of the game.

Just overall fantastic. I actually wasn't planning on getting it at launch, but the soundtrack thing and several other deals pushed me over the edge. And I'm glad I did.

Fowler

KevinCow said:
This game has aged amazingly well. Like, there are things that I can point at and say, "Hey, other games did that better."

Agreed. I don't have as much issue with the combat as you did -- yeah, other games did it better, but I don't feel like it's lacking, it just feels like... a game with a simple combat system because it's not the focus, if that makes sense. What amazes me a bit is how polished the Z/L-targeting system is. Considering it was basically the first of its kind, it feels remarkably modern to me.

The only thing that's really aged is Hyrule Field. It's at once too big (too barren, too empty) and too small (you don't have the same sense of scale you felt in the N64 era). Ah well.

KevinCow

Banned
Fowler said:
What amazes me a bit is how polished the Z/L-targeting system is. Considering it was basically the first of its kind, it feels remarkably modern to me.

I absolutely agree with this. The lock-on has had minor improvements in later Zelda games - notably, it's much easier to switch targets - but it still feels better in OoT than in almost any other non-Zelda game series that uses lock-on. You just press the button and snap to your target. The visual and audio cues just make it feel so much more immediate and, well, locked than many other lock-on systems. You know for absolute certain that you're locked onto an enemy, and you don't feel like the lock might break away for no reason.

It's just so bizarre. We've had the groundwork there for 13 years, and most people still can't match it.

CoolS

Just did the
Desert temple part as Kid Link. Holy crap, I didn't remember AT all that you have to fight a Stalfos and that Metal Knight as a kid. Especially the Stalfos was really frightening since the game teaches you pretty early that those things can fuck you up even AS ADULT.
And that Metal Knight does serious damage. Holy fuck, I am not used to that anymore after TP.

But so awesome. I only finished OoT once and from the
Fire Temple
onwards I remember very little about this game except the key scenes. It really has aged beautifully. Already got all heart containers, but only 50 Skultallas. Not sure if I will collect them all.

Roto13

KevinCow said:
Stupid spirit temple. I swear I've checked everywhere I can and I can't find this damn key I need to progress.

Just hold your shield out until the attack, block their attack, then counter.

Combat in this game is pretty terrible, honestly. If you do anything aside from this, you're almost assured to get hit. Yet using this method is extremely dull.
You can just dodge. I interrupt their attacks. Wait for them to swing and then stab them. I never equip a shield again after I get the Biggoron's Sword before starting the Forest Temple. :p
cacophony said:
I haven't played in two days after getting killed in the Forest Temple. I need to start again.

WHY DO I ALWAYS DO THIS WITH ZELDA GAMES. and then I regret it when I want to play again but it's not fresh in my mind so I start over.
It's not fresh in your mind after two days? The fuck?

WiiRevolution1 said:
What. I've never even considered the well to be a side quest. You must be a big fan of trial and error.

The savegames and checkpoints are a fucking joke. What the hell is wrong with Nintendo? How didn't they update that.?

I've just played to the Zora Kingdom and had to quit to go and buy some groceries. Now I come back, want to continue and I have to start from god damn Kokiri village and travel all the way again? Ey, come on... What the hell is this?

Roto13

TheExorzist said:
The savegames and checkpoints are a fucking joke. What the hell is wrong with Nintendo? How didn't they update that.?

I've just played to the Zora Kingdom and had to quit to go and buy some groceries. Now I come back, want to continue and I have to start from god damn Kokiri village and travel all the way again? Ey, come on... What the hell is this?
The Lost Woods are your friend.

ombz

CoolS said:
Just did the
Desert temple part as Kid Link. Holy crap, I didn't remember AT all that you have to fight a Stalfos and that Metal Knight as a kid. Especially the Stalfos was really frightening since the game teaches you pretty early that those things can fuck you up even AS ADULT.
And that Metal Knight does serious damage. Holy fuck, I am not used to that anymore after TP.

But so awesome. I only finished OoT once and from the
Fire Temple
onwards I remember very little about this game except the key scenes. It really has aged beautifully. Already got all heart containers, but only 50 Skultallas. Not sure if I will collect them all.
I thought the metal knight was pretty easy if didn't linger by it when you weren't attacking.

TheExorzist said:

That really makes this game not even suited for portability.

Wow, it feels like a bit of a dick move that
you can no longer use your shiny new boomerang as adult Link
. Someone care to tell me how
you can go back to being child Link
? I'd like to
try out the boomerang some more.

Hope I'm doing this spoiler thing correctly. :>

Dedication Through Light said:
That really makes this game not even suited for portability.
How long does the 3DS last in Sleep mode? At least you can "put the game to sleep" anytime you want/need to do something else.

Leezard

magicalsoundshower said:
Wow, it feels like a bit of a dick move that
you can no longer use your shiny new boomerang as adult Link
. Someone care to tell me how
you can go back to being child Link
? I'd like to
try out the boomerang some more.

Hope I'm doing this spoiler thing correctly. :>
just
put the sword back into the stone

Busaiku

Man, I've been having too many stupid moments.

For 30 minutes, instead of using the Deku Sticks to light the torches, I kept trying to use the Boomerang...
Too much Spirit Tracks, I guess.

KevinCow

Banned
Busaiku said:
Man, I've been having too many stupid moments.

For 30 minutes, instead of using the Deku Sticks to light the torches, I kept trying to use the Boomerang...
Too much Spirit Tracks, I guess.

There's like five ways to set stuff on fire and I always seem to forget at least one of them.

I once used Din's fire to light one torch. I was an adult and I had fire arrows.

TheExorzist said:

Step 1. Close lid of 3DS
Step 2 (optional!): turn off wireless.
Step 3: Enjoy game later at the precise moment you left off.

I accept cash and cheques for my services.

Neiteio

At the Water Temple right now, having taken the time to get every Piece of Heart and Gold Skulltula and upgrade (barring the Biggoron Sword) I can remember off-hand at any given point. AMAZING GAME. But no surprise there.

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really hope Majora's Mask gets the same treatment. It has to! Imagine the mask flying at you in 3D when the game boots up! Imagine the moon leering at you, right there in 3D! Imagine Goht barreling toward the screen, or the blizzard over Snowhead, or sniping aliens at Romani Ranch with a real sense of depth. It must be made... It must!

In a perfect world, MM would've been remade with OoT in a "Hero of Time Collection," along with 3D figurines/dioramas of all the characters/locations as an extra use for the rupees you collect, and a Cave of Ordeals/Savage Labyrinth added to each game on top of the Master Quest, Sheikah Stones, Boss Challenge, touch/gyro controls and remastered audio/sound already added.
And an optional epilogue mode that links MM's fourth day with a post-Ganon Hyrule!

There's always the next re-release, I suppose. ;)

CoolS

ombz said:
I thought the metal knight was pretty easy if didn't linger by it when you weren't attacking.
Don't get me wrong, he wasn't hard, but I wasn't paying enough attention while fighting him and after 2 or three hits I suddenly realized I only had 3 hearts left.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I forgot how polished and perfect this game is. I didn't appreciate it enough as a kid, but it's leagues ahead of 99% of the games out there. It just feels....flawless.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Having to do three dungeons as a child before becoming an adult was a stroke of genius, especailly since many of us were kids when playing the game. The first three dungeons perfectly capture that 'boy adventure' feel, yet the adult portion really delivers on the scope and severity of the road to victory.

Maybe its just me, but the child portion has the feeling of adventure, while the grown up portion has a sense of responsibility.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
EatChildren said:
Having to do three dungeons as a child before becoming an adult was a stroke of genius, especailly since many of us were kids when playing the game. The first three dungeons perfectly capture that 'boy adventure' feel, yet the adult portion really delivers on the scope and severity of the road to victory.

Maybe its just me, but the child portion has the feeling of adventure, while the grown up portion has a sense of responsibility.

Completely agree. I'm kind of ashamed to say this, but I stopped playing OoT as a kid right before the Shadow Temple, and I don't even remember why. I think the Water Temple took a ton out of me and I got discouraged.

My favorite thing about the whole child/adult thing in OoT is that, when you're still a child, the game tries to hold your hand a little. With the owl, Navi, Deku Tree, and Zelda all telling you/teaching you about the game. But shortly before adulthood, you're largely on your own, and then when you finally become an adult, Navi might tell you one or two advanced things, but the game feels completely different.

And does anyone else really like when the owl appears when
you were a kid at the Spirit Temple?
I always feel like "long time no see" and even throw him a bone and hear what he has to say again.:p

Social

I keep getting confused about my ability to see 3D.
I can't see 3D on the 3DS but while I was playing Zelda I suddenly saw the hammer pop out of the screen during the boss fight intro of the Fire Temple.
I was quite shocked and it never happened again since ( now at the Water Temple ).

Why would you do that? said:
My favorite thing about the whole child/adult thing in OoT is that, when you're still a child, the game tries to hold your hand a little. With the owl, Navi, Deku Tree, and Zelda all telling you/teaching you about the game. But shortly before adulthood, you're largely on your own, and then when you finally become an adult, Navi might tell you one or two advanced things, but the game feels completely different.

I always feel like "long time no see" and even throw him a bone and hear what he has to say again.:p
I wonder what happened to the Owl in the adult time. That's one thing I wish they had explained or maybe there is one and it went over my head.

KevinCow

Banned
Why would you do that? said:

I actually did like that. The only time I wasn't screaming "OH MY GOD SHUT THE FUCK UP" at him.

Lord_Byron28 said:
I wonder what happened to the Owl in the adult time. That's one thing I wish they had explained or maybe there is one and it went over my head.

You see him fly off when Sheik teaches you the Spirit Temple song. So he's still around, he just sees that Link has grown and is getting along fine by himself.

JasoNsider said:
Step 1. Close lid of 3DS
Step 2 (optional!): turn off wireless.
Step 3: Enjoy game later at the precise moment you left off.

I accept cash and cheques for my services.
This. Or you can use the shortcut in the Lost Woods.

Pyrokai

TheExorzist said:

Sleep mode. You should have put it to sleep, put it in your pocket as you went to the store and seeked StreetPass hits. YOU'RE the reason I don't get any hits when I take my 3DS everywhere with me, aren't you!?

BramVD said:
I keep getting confused about my ability to see 3D.
I can't see 3D on the 3DS but while I was playing Zelda I suddenly saw the hammer pop out of the screen during the boss fight intro of the Fire Temple.
I was quite shocked and it never happened again since ( now at the Water Temple ).
Why do you have 3D on if you can't see 3D? You'd be considerably shortening the battery life for no reason.

EatChildren said:

Always felt the same way, even playing it as a kid back in the 90s.

By the way, just noticed you're a mod now. Congrats!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Christ I loath the inside of Jabu Jabu's belly. It is without a shred of doubt my least favourite Zelda dungeon, across every single Zelda game, by a good country mile.

I hate every second of it.

Busaiku

KevinCow said:
There's like five ways to set stuff on fire and I always seem to forget at least one of them.

I once used Din's fire to light one torch. I was an adult and I had fire arrows.
Didn't get the Fire Arrows...
Should probably do that.

Top Bottom