• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

McNum

Dedication Through Light said:
Ive never entered a single boss fight with full containers, the usual is 4-8, then I get hit since I have no clue what the boss will do before hand, and am down to 1-3 :(
Are you not smashing every pot in sight? There's usually a fairy in a pot pretty close to the boss door. Catch it in a bottle and you've got an extra life. More fairies in bottles means more extra lives.

ASIS

75% of the bosses in this gave have been difficult or frustrating, if Im able to complete this game, then I dont think I can try another Zelda game again, unless theyve scaled back the difficulty and are more generous with providing health before and during boss fights, items too. Running out of my 20 bombs and 30 arrows while a boss is still alive is massively annoying, and the boss wipes out nearly half of my hearts in one hit.
You don't L-target often, do you?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The difference in power between the Kokiri Sword and Biggoron Sword is quite big when i look at long it took me to kill an Iron Knuckle between young & adult Link.

Well that took awhile but, switching to arrows and blindly slashing with my sword when the hands came rushing to me helped. Dont know how I got the bosses eye to appear, but it did. I guess the arrows made sense leading up to the boss in the Shadow Temple since I nearly went through all 30 on the boss. Just one more remaining.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
75% of the bosses in this gave have been difficult or frustrating, if Im able to complete this game, then I dont think I can try another Zelda game again, unless theyve scaled back the difficulty and are more generous with providing health before and during boss fights, items too. Running out of my 20 bombs and 30 arrows while a boss is still alive is massively annoying, and the boss wipes out nearly half of my hearts in one hit.
I dont mean to be insulting, but if you find Zelda difficult, what games exactly DO you play? Ocarina is far from being a difficult game.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
thetrin said:
I dont mean to be insulting, but if you find Zelda difficult, what games exactly DO you play? Ocarina is far from being a difficult game.

You say that as somebody who has experience with this kind of 3D action game. If you've never played a Zelda game before then I can understand finding it a challenge, it's a lot harder than the recent games.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
PounchEnvy said:
Reading DTL struggle is really hard to watch. Ocarina of Time's difficulty is perfect.

So much of his struggle seems to be because he's playing it like a hack-and-slash. "Why can't I beat this guy just by hitting B over and over again." "You mean I'm supposed to break open the pots?" "What's an L-Targeting." "How do i used item"

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Well that took awhile but, switching to arrows and blindly slashing with my sword when the hands came rushing to me helped. Dont know how I got the bosses eye to appear, but it did. I guess the arrows made sense leading up to the boss in the Shadow Temple since I nearly went through all 30 on the boss. Just one more remaining.

Wait a minute... You have the lens of truth right? RIGHT?

Bisnic

The whole point of the dungeon was invisible walls, platforms and targets being seen through the lens of truth, and you never thought about using it to see the invisible eye of the boss?

Derp.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I bet he means "eye open" not "eye to appear." Maybe. Hopefully.

DTL, you open the eye by stunning both hands. Also... please tell me you know that you can shoot the bow at things you have L-targeted, not just through first person.

Roto13

Why do they make this game so hard and frustrating. Its so tiring to relentlessly die against the boss in the Shadow Temple and then waste so much time having to get back to the room, never have I been so annoyed and frustrated! There is no way to stun both his hands in time to avoid attack!
Are you just not using L targeting at all?

L + bow, L + bow, L + bow, stab stab stab. If you do three jump slashes with the Biggoron's sword when you stun him, you can kill him with six arrows in like twenty seconds.

magicalsoundshower said:
Not being able to open the door in the first room if you're stuck without Deku Seeds and don't have the dungeon item sucks, though.
Three of the four pots right outside of the dungeon have seeds in them, so that's not really a problem. :p Really, unless you're maxed out on everything, you should be breaking every pot you see.
How can you possibly run out of bombs in the one boss fight that uses them? Were you just pelting it with them like a spaz?
How could you possibly not realize by the boss room that invisible stuff needs the Lens of Truth? How are you so mind-bogglingly bad at this game? I really wish you had been doing a Let's Play video run up to this point.

Bisnic

Were the colored moving lights behind the walls in the Twins Rova room there in the N64 version? It looks really cool and i dont remember that.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Ushojax said:
You say that as somebody who has experience with this kind of 3D action game. If you've never played a Zelda game before then I can understand finding it a challenge, it's a lot harder than the recent games.

While i agree, i cant see how its possible he's never played a game with shoulder targeting at all.

Thoraxes

Golden rule of thumb: Always use the new items you just got as the main tool to kill a boss and solve puzzles in given dungeon.

Skyward Sword seems to be breaking that trend soon though, considering what we've heard, at least after you get most of the times anyways.

Medalion

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
Doing Bush rush right now. I beat Bongo Bongo in a minute and seven seconds. So it's not that hard.
dream-george-bush.jpg

Well first off, I never thought of using the lens of truth on the boss fight or enemies in general. The strategy I employed to defeat the boss was to just use Links widest area attack to strike both the hands as they rushed me, which ultimately worked, after I stunned them with the arrows. I rarely use L-targetting for the arrows or in general. I was under the impression that the spin sword attack, the one that saps magical power, isnt able to be used simultaneously with the lens of truth?

GJS

Well first off, I never thought of using the lens of truth on the boss fight or enemies in general. The strategy I employed to defeat the boss was to just use Links widest area attack to strike both the hands as they rushed me, which ultimately worked, after I stunned them with the arrows. I rarely use L-targetting for the arrows or in general. I was under the impression that the spin sword attack, the one that saps magical power, isnt able to be used simultaneously with the lens of truth?
Yea but you don't need to use the magic spin attack outside of a few situations, bongo bongo isn't one of them.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Oh my god.

You can't damage his hands. You stunned his hands, then when you did that spin attack while they "rushed" you, you hit bongo bongo's open eye. Because he was in between the hands, rushing at you. Invisible.

Poyunch

Ugh how do you manage without L-targeting? First off you can't move in first person which along with the slow moving camera (unless you're using gyro controls) makes it extremely difficult to keep track of moving enemies. You're making the game unnecessarily complicated for yourself. When you L-target, you are locked on to a target and you have free movement. When you're mobile, you can keep on your enemy and you barely have to line up your attacks.

And I'm pretty sure the game somewhere tells you that you need the Lens of Truth to see Bongo Bongo.

Tathanen said:
Oh my god.

You can't damage his hands. You stunned his hands, then when you did that spin attack while they "rushed" you, you hit bongo bongo's open eye. Because he was in between the hands, rushing at you. Invisible.
And all those missed after the first attack would have made the boss fight much shorter!

Hideo Kuze

Neo Member
butter_stick said:
The iron Knuckles with a Goron Sword is pathetically easy. Backflip, jump attack, backflip, repeat.
I always use the Master Sword just to make fights go on a little longer. Iron Knuckles are such badasses, the ones in Twilight Princess even more so.

Poyunch

Hideo Kuze said:
I always use the Master Sword just to make fights go on a little longer. Iron Knuckles are such badasses, the ones in Twilight Princess even more so.
Those are Darknuts!!! / Zelda trivia

But yeah they were much better in Twilight Princess. Iron Knuckles are just really boring in Ocarina of Time. They just hit hard, that's no fun. It's just wait for it to attack, dodge, then attack yourself, rinse and repeat. I wouldn't enjoy letting that drag. Maybe if there were two at a time but if it's just one, I rather just kill it and be on my way.

So in the time I've played so far I've gotten to Kakariko village. I must say the 3D in this game is very well done. It adds depth to the world. It might be a side effect of the improved frame rate, but everything seems so much faster now. The text moves a lot faster. It also seems like Link climbs much faster than in the original. I'd say it's an improvement in almost every way over the original.

Hideo Kuze

Neo Member
PounchEnvy said:

But yeah they were much better in Twilight Princess. Iron Knuckles are just really boring in Ocarina of Time. They just hit hard, that's no fun. It's just wait for it to attack, dodge, then attack yourself, rinse and repeat. I wouldn't enjoy letting that drag. Maybe if there were two at a time but if it's just one, I rather just kill it and be on my way.

Oh they're Darknuts? I remember them being in the orignal Zelda but never realised that it was them in TP... I feel ashamed, I should know these things! lol, I can't believe I never realised. Are those cat things in Wind Waker Darknuts aswell?

Holmes

Beat the normal game 100%! The ending was thrilling, as always. I'm so glad that there are three new game files for Master Quest, since my boyfriend is also gonna play, and we won't need to delete a file if he wants to do both a normal and Master Quest playthrough. :)

But damn! Inside the Deku Tree was fun in Master Quest! I had gotten to a point in all the dungeons where I was practically able to beat them all blindfolded, but this is like a new experience. Really fun. A bit challenging too, I nearly died a few times with the double damage taken.

ASIS

PounchEnvy said:

I can only imagine how it would be in SS. It's going to be glorious, glorious I tell you!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
ShyGuy0504 said:
So in the time I've played so far I've gotten to Kakariko village. I must say the 3D in this game is very well done. It adds depth to the world. It might be a side effect of the improved frame rate, but everything seems so much faster now. The text moves a lot faster. It also seems like Link climbs much faster than in the original. I'd say it's an improvement in almost every way over the original.

The game is more than just OOT at a faster framerate with new textures. Improving the framerate required recoding all of the game timing and that affected everything from collision detection to physics. Basically, it's a recreation of OOT that's incredibly, meticulously faithful, but as if the game was done on more powerful hardware than the N64.

So yeah, stuff like combat timing, platforming, behavior of enemies, etc etc is much improved or tweaked in every way.

OOT was too large scale and just broke the poor N64. As far as I'm concerned, this version is the one that always deserved to exist.

Branduil

Why would you purposely gimp yourself like that?

Dartastic said:
Because he's kinda trolling everyone.
DTL is a notorious troll and joke character who was banned for half a year after he took it too far once. Everyone in the manga thread is already familiar with his shenanigans. Now you are too.

Gravijah

Ignis Fatuus said:
DTL is a notorious troll and joke character who was banned for half a year after he took it too far once. Everyone in the manga thread is already familiar with his shenanigans. Now you are too.

Nevermind the entire lol episode.

-PXG-

Jesus help you.

best be trollan

wrowa

EatChildren said:
Probably nothing, I've just always hated it. I hate the setting, the puzzles, and I hate having to deal with with Ruto. The whole thing is one long drawn out tedious frustration. I hated it as a kid, I hated it on replays, I hated it during Master Quest, and I hate it in the remake.

I really hate Jabu Jabu's belly.
I hate Ruto.

That's why Jabu Jabu's belly is so much fun! Using her as a weapon is a great way to say "screw you, Ruto!" :p

kiryogi

Banned
And more to the new animation pile during final Shiek scene :eek:
Shiek does some ninjutsu like motions before unveiling that she is Zelda

When I first played the game I thought Jabu Jabu's belly was the Water Temple everyone had complained about and assumed the reason everyone hated it was due to having to carry the Zora around. When I beat it I was so confident in thinking that was nothing and people were bitching about nothing. I was a bit surprised later on to say the least.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
When I first bought the game I was pretty amazed by a rush of nostalgia and the newness of the 3D (which really is well done, by the way), then as I went through the Deku Tree dungeon that fuzzy feeling started to fade really, really bad. I'm glad I stuck with it though, because now I'm having a blast remembering (or trying to remember) all the game's secrets.

Reknoc

Fought my toughest battle in the game yet. This enemy didn't do any damage though, no hard to recognise attack pattern. It just required stamina and a oneness with my rod and cheating lure. It took blood, sweat and tears (well not so much blood and sweat and less tears and more swearing), but I finally caught it. I finally caught that fish.

And got 50 rupees for it :(

Reknoc said:
Fought my toughest battle in the game yet. This enemy didn't do any damage though, no hard to recognise attack pattern. It just required stamina and a oneness with my rod and cheating lure. It took blood, sweat and tears (well not so much blood and sweat and less tears and more swearing), but I finally caught it. I finally caught that fish.

And got 50 rupees for it :(
You caught the fabled Hylian Loach?! I applaud your patience and give you my congratulations. It remains one of two "tasks" i've never done in this game, the other being the fourth bottle.

Top Bottom