• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Also I've bought this today :p

The-Legend-of-Zelda-The-Minish-Cap_cover.jpg

Caelus

Teetris said:
After playing the demo on an SDTV I firmly believe the game was made by Nintendo with the dolphin emu in mind. It's the only way to play it, really. It sucks ass on an SDTV

It actually looks better on an HDTV, the colors pop and the cel-shading is gorgeous.

Anth0ny

Caelus said:
It actually looks better on an HDTV, the colors pop and the cel-shading is gorgeous.

The demo looks like complete ass on my HDTV. Jaggies that could put someone's eye out.

They're still there on my SDTV, but at least they're not as noticeable.

WillyFive

Anth0ny said:
The demo looks like complete ass on my HDTV. Jaggies that could put someone's eye out.

They're still there on my SDTV, but at least they're not as noticeable.

The Wii has different results on different HDTV's.

Mine looks blurry on one HDTV, you can see the scanlines on the other, and in the third one it looks better than it does on any SDTV.

You were just cursed with a bad combination.

Mistle

Willy105 said:

Mine looks blurry on one HDTV, you can see the scanlines on the other, and in the third one it looks better than it does on any SDTV.

Yeah i can vouch for this. I have 2 TVs and one has jaggies, while the other they're barely noticable and the game looks fantastic. It's hit or miss unfortunately.

Anth0ny

Willy105 said:

Wow, never heard that before. Crazy.

Solution: upgrade my PC and play this shiz on Dolphin.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I tried the demo on dolphin and it looked fantastic. I'm definitely playing mine on my computer :p.

totowhoa

Banned
jarosh said:
holy cow... now i understand what reviewers meant by extensive backtracking. i can't believe they would do this. fuck. this makes me wanna stop playing. what the fuck. WHY? this must be what that giantbomb review was referring to as well... :(

I read your spoiler following this post that explained what the backtracking consists of. I'm not sure when/if you will read this, but I'm definitely interested in hearing how (backtracking spoilers)
the "remixed" dungeons are handled. It sounds painful, but does it end up being interesting/fun again, despite having to revisit the same locale? In no way can I see this being a good design choice, but I can see how it might be "fun enough" despite this, or does it feel like being forced to revisit areas in Metroid Prime?

So it appears those arrrrr mi hearties have leaked the game before release!!! It's going to be another one of those Nintendo shit storms!!!

Or no... It's the Switzerland version... Why did it release early in Switzerland?

FatCat

Oh god, I can't get past one silly little thing, I'm sure the solution is simple. If someone can help me out.

Last third of the game, so spoiler,
when you have to collect the tadtones, how do you get the one stuck in the floating plant? It is yellow.

Edit: nevermind, found it, for those who find themselves in the same situation
you have to jump from the ledge above to tip the leaf over

Been trying to stay away from here because the wait is terrible.

So for you fella's who got it early, would you want all future Zelda to follow this formula or have SS be a unique MM-type deal? It'll be interesting to see based on reception what control method Nintendo goes for next gen.

The Lamp

I want another central gimmick to the formula, like how masks were to MM. I don't feel like Nintendo has tried something as powerful as that cornerstone system for game mechanics since MM.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Need some help.

Going back to the temple to get the water for the Water Dragon. Where the heck is the key? I've been over ever square inch of all the rooms going back to the entrance in FPS mode, staring at the floor and it's not in any of the holes i've found.

FatCat

DrForester said:
Need some help.

Going back to the temple to get the water for the Water Dragon. Where the heck is the key? I've been over ever square inch of all the rooms going back to the entrance in FPS mode, staring at the floor and it's not in any of the holes i've found.

Room on the right hand side of the map, you have to go under water through the small passage way that leads to a small room. Yes, you can crawl under water!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I don't get these criticisms that Nintendo doesn't do anything new with Zelda. I mean, just in the past handful games we've had, Link wearing masks to change his abilities, Link on a boat, shrinking Link, Wolf Link, Train conductor Link, and now Flying on a bird Link with motion+ controls. None of these changes are superficial since they all greatly affect the gameplay.

How many other game series does this kind of change occur in? How many iterations of Call of Duty, Battlefield, Uncharted, Killzone, Resistance etc... that are just "guy with gun, shooting at other guys with guns" I don't mean to pick on other developers or anything, but for whatever reason people like harping on Nintendo for not innovating Zelda enough. I guess I just don't get it.

Divvy said:
I don't get these criticisms that Nintendo doesn't do anything new with Zelda. I mean, just in the past handful games we've had, Link wearing masks to change his abilities, Link on a boat, shrinking Link, Wolf Link, Train conductor Link, and now Flying on a bird Link with motion+ controls. None of these changes are superficial since they all greatly affect the gameplay.

How many other game series does this kind of change occur in? How many iterations of Call of Duty, Battlefield, Uncharted, Killzone, Resistance etc... that are just "guy with gun, shooting at other guys with guns" I don't mean to pick on other developers or anything, but for whatever reason people like harping on Nintendo for not innovating Zelda enough. I guess I just don't get it.

I think it entirely depends on the perception of change, obviously, for this particular franchise. And to be honest the changes Nintendo institutes are barely even effecting the core minute-to-minute gameplay, and overall game experience. In that respect all Zelda's are very similar, even down to the character archetypes, charm and story. The flip side is a lot of people don't know what they want concerning Zelda, so Nintendo adds little changes and people still aren't satisfied.

On another note, fiance's godfather decided he isn't going to sell me my Zelda LE out the back door before release (like he's done a million times), apparently it's an issue. So I'll be waiting for a day or two early pick up... :(

oatmeal

Banned
Kifimbo said:
Ok I'm gonna need help.

I'm it Lanayru Desert, trying to power up whatever I have to power up. I did the first one, but I'm stuck in the second place. The small "palace" to the right of the Desert. Inside, I don't know how to bring the electric ball to the end of the hall in order to open the door. There are several blocks on the right side, but I can't throw the ball high enough.

EDIT: Nevermind I'm fucking dumb. Didn't realize
you can use the beetle.
Just lost 30 minutes, lol.

I did the same goddamn thing.

I died twice trying to lob it up onto that small block and then up onto the big block...

I was losing my mind.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
FatCat said:
Room on the right hand side of the map, you have to go under water through the small passage way that leads to a small room. Yes, you can crawl under water!

Man, that's just stupid. How did you figure that out?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Someone uploaded the ending on YouTube and I finally caught a peek at the credits. MonolithSoft's role in this game was bigger than I thought, they actually had people in the planning section under all the Nintendo staff. The planners were Keiichi Ono and Koji Hayashi, the directors of Disaster and DBZ: AotS respectively. From what little I've glanced at the rest so far it looks like they had designers involved as well, which is what I thought their involvement was going to be from the start since they have a lot of graphic/design staff. However I thought it would be a small thing like how there was one person who could be identified from Brownie Brown on SM3DL, but there are quite a few people from MonolithSoft in these sections as well. It looks like they really did play secondary development role on the game.

ivysaur12

Banned
jj984jj said:
Someone uploaded the ending on YouTube and I finally caught a peek at the credits. MonolithSoft's role in this game was bigger than I thought, they had actually had people in the planning section under all the Nintendo staff. The planners were Keiichi Ono and Koji Hayashi, the directors of Disaster and DBZ: AotS respectively. From what little I've glanced at the rest so far it looks like they had designers involved as well, which is what I thought their involvement was going to be from the start since they have a lot of graphic/design staff. However I thought it would be a small thing like how there was one person who could be identified from Brownie Brown on SM3DL, but there are quite a few people from MonolithSoft in these sections as well. It looks like they really did play secondary development role on the game.

I'm 100% okay with this.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
BY2K said:
6 Days Remain.
The wait is getting so hard... I have so much stuff to do for school this week, but all I can think about is this game. :(

It really doesn't help that I've barely seen footage of the game. It's honestly like waiting for Christmas. I want to open my present now!

Edit: Ah, so MonolithSoft was involved? I am perfectly fine with this. :D

Mistle

jj984jj said:
Someone uploaded the ending on YouTube
note to self: don't search skyward sword on youtube (or rather, anywhere) from now on

Monolith being involved however is great news. Xenoblade has got to be one of my favourite games of all time.

Mistle said:
note to self: don't search skyward sword on youtube (or rather, anywhere) from now on

Monolith being involved however is great news. Xenoblade has got to be one of my favourite games of all time.

Seriously. Gets me EVERY time.

I'll search for like, how to solve a puzzle, and then I see major spoilers on the side under the "Videos Like This One" because the video is labeled "SO-AND-SO's DEATH"

Such a FUUUUU moment.

zoukka said:
I blame the title... what the hell does it mean?

I'm not crazy about it either, lol. Was hoping for something a bit more epic. Still a good OT, though.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Mistle said:

They conveniently put it in two parts with the credits at the start of the second so I didn't ruin much. Definitely will save everything else for when I play the game now lol.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Mistle said:
note to self: don't search skyward sword on youtube (or rather, anywhere) from now on.
I am staying off of YouTube for the next few weeks. I'm sure that there are full walkthroughs up by now and I'll run into something that'll spoil me. ;//

Especially, as someone else pointed out, in the Related Videos section! Gah, I hate that.

ivysaur12

Banned
jj984jj said:
They conveniently put it in two parts with the credits at the start of the second so I didn't ruin much. Definitely will save everything else for when I play the game now lol.

MonolithSoft also helped on Brawl, right? Are these the two major games they've helped out with Nintendo?

ivysaur12

Banned
jj984jj said:
Yeah, they had a lot of people on Brawl too.

A bit unfortunate, since I was hoping that Ono would be on Honne's new project
that looks like Baten Kaitos III mo' fuckers
. But I'm happy that Nintendo is involving MonolithSoft more in their big releases.

Annoying Old Party Man said:
Anyone with some little help? :(

how do you flood faron woods and find the water dragon?

You don't
flood the woods. You need to complete the Silent Realm for that area. It's in the northern area near the ruins. Then you get an item that lets you swim underwater, and you need to use it to access areas you haven't gone to before
. Unless you're past the part I'm talking about, but what you asked to do you don't actually do, it just happens at a certain point.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
ColonialRaptor said:
So it appears those arrrrr mi hearties have leaked the game before release!!! It's going to be another one of those Nintendo shit storms!!!

Or no... It's the Switzerland version... Why did it release early in Switzerland?

Someone on my forums has already posted the ending and is bitching about it >_>

I hate being a moderator sometimes.

TSA said:
You don't
flood the woods. You need to complete the Silent Realm for that area. It's in the northern area near the ruins. Then you get an item that lets you swim underwater, and you need to use it to access areas you haven't gone to before
. Unless you're past the part I'm talking about, but what you asked to do you don't actually do, it just happens at a certain point.

Let me rephrase my question then:

Where is this water dragon? I got the dragon scale, I cleared the first dungeon and got the sacred water, but I can't find the lake... There's supposed to be a mark with a double moon and a sun outside the deep woods but it doesn't do anything

dwu8991

Banned
jump_button said:
God just saw Zelda tv ad for UK why would they not use Zelda music for them? its going to piss me off every time I see it now

I thought why not, it's only a 30 sec advert, no harm, right?
WRONG. It's OMG Shit.

Top Bottom