• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

The problem isn't her icon (even though the flashing can get annoying), it's that damn beeping. It's totally absurd that she gives you a new dowsing target, says "go exactly here", and the thing beeps and beeps until you either go into first person mode or you leave the area. It certainly doesn't ruin the game, but it's another one of those things that has an easy fix.

I wasn't aware the beeping was abn issue. It takes half a second to press C twice to get rid of that beeping. Is it an arbitrary requirement? Sure. But it's nowhere near as annoying as when she'll pop out to inform me that I need to get to that chest that the game just spent 30 seconds showing me in a dramatic camera sweep. It's not like it's the fourth dungeon or anything. It's not like I've seen that exact type of chest three times before, so I know exactly what's in it.

THANKS FI.

Beat it over the holiday, definitely not my favorite 3D Zelda, I'd put it slightly ahead of TP. So many problems and wasted potential imo to forget easily, overall mildly disappointed after all this time...

Dark Souls remains my GOTY. If I have time I'll try to go through my likes/dislikes if they haven't been brought up already.

fernoca

Yeah and don't need to even wave it around. Just "auto-lock" into a bug and put it in front. The updated net makes it easier. For the ones in the ground just walk around with the net as if you're vacuum-ing. :p ...really good to get Tumbleweeds on Lanayru.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Some bugs are faster than auto-lock walking speed though if the bug takes notice, so that can be a challenge. But like everyone has said, keep the bug net to the ground for most bugs and wiggle quickly. But.. minor spoilers..
once you upgrade to the large Bug Net, vertically catching the flying bugs becomes a breeze

kunonabi

I didn't really mind Fi's interruptions aside from the one puzzle she spoils and her badgering about my batteries. I'll put new ones in when I feel like it. The problem with Fi is that she is not fleshed out at all and relationship with Link is mostly non-existent. To be honest I think that initial concept art was the problem. Coming off Midna, that art seemed to indicate another partnership of that depth for SS. While this may or may not have been the initial plan, it created an expectation and thus it feels like we are missing out. As it stands now she is more Navi than she is Midna and that's how we should treat her.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So whoever said you could net fish was full of shit, right?

VR5Ll.jpg

I would guess so.

fernoca

I never had a problem catching bugs.

Birds on the other hand...
Auto-lock, walk slowly if you want the blue ones for the blue feather, or no auto-lock but still walk slow for any of them. Can catch 3-4 with the upgraded net at the same time.
Sealed Grounds
front door is a good place to "farm" feathers; as even if they all fly, to the right there are more..and if you go up a little, they all return back.

I highly disagree with your assessment of WW. WW had a few sidequests and yes they were more involved than SS but SS had a lot more sidequests and to 100% SS you have to interact with just about every single person in Skyloft. I think there are maybe two or three people who you never have to talk to, to 100% the game. On top of that almost every single character(including the Mogma, Gorons, Kikwi, Water people) all have a few sentences description of their personality and who they are. Also the sidequests are far more varied from
bug catching, locating special items and people in all three regions below, delivering items to people in a short amount of time, rescueing people, two love related sidequests, helping someone grow stronger, harp playing, cleaning someone's home, pumpkin balancing, sword slicing, archery, etc.
This game has characters spread out everywhere in all areas and almost all have unique personalities and most of them you are required to interact with to 100% the game unlike WW, OoT or TP.

I don't believe you can tell the water people or the little Kikwi apart
except for elder and the one you take to Skyloft
. Certainly no more than you can distinguish the Rito or the individuals in Windfall.

Wind Waker has tag, the auction house, three love-related sidequests (two through the photo guy, one involving the girl who loved a Moblin), delivering collectible items to a multiple characters, the Nintendo gallery, the deku sprouts, the Windfall beautification project, fish acupuncture, flying contest, cannon target practice, battleship, mail sorting, and a mail system. These are spread out over the world map as well.

The fact that you have to interact with a higher percentage of SS's characters doesn't prove much when the game has a smaller number of friendly NPCs. That doesn't mean having more NPCs is automatically a good thing either (we agree, I think, that TP's Castle Town is less interesting than Skyloft despite having more bodies running around), but you're flatly short-changing the liveliness of Wind Waker's world.

wrowa

I still haven't seen a single commercial for the game in Germany yet. Mario 3D Land? It's all over the place. Mario Kart 7? Constantly. Mario & Sonic? I can't stomach to see that shitty commercial even one other time. Just Dance 3? Way too often.

Zelda? Nope.

It's really sad how NoE apparently isn't pushing the game at all. Maybe they have burried some commercials in children's TV or whatever, don't know.

StevieP

Banned
I still haven't seen a single commercial for the game in Germany yet. Mario 3D Land? It's all over the place. Mario Kart 7? Constantly. Mario & Sonic? I can't stomach to see that shitty commercial even one other time. Just Dance 3? Way too often.

Zelda? Nope.

It's really sad how NoE apparently isn't pushing the game at all. Maybe they have burried some commercials in children's TV or whatever, don't know.

You got Xenoblade.

peakish

Did some post-6th dungeon stuff today,
the water and the fire dragon areas. Really liked this. Varying the areas, having different challenges instead of repeating the same, good stuff. Glad that the thunder dragon is in a completely new area, can't wait to do that stuff. Not a fan of them repeating The Imprisoned a third time even if it was the best iteration of it yet. It's just not a very interesting boss.

Also thought the meeting between Link and Zelda after going through the Gate of Time was a bit boring. Zelda is better as an active rather than passive character, she's had enough of that already.

I've noticed that playing the harp while walking around sounds pretty good. Why then are the ingame songs all bad and super simple to play? A real waste.

kunonabi

yeah the harp is actually fun instrument when you play it on your own. The songs just have you go back and forth but you actually have far more control over the notes than that. It may not have the usefulness of the wind waker but I still like the harp more than any other instrument. To be fair I'd rather them just drop instruments entirely but whatever.

Zelda? Nope.

My experience in the US has been the same. I've yet to see a Zelda commerical. I've even seen a MK7 commercial.

Did some post-6th dungeon stuff today,
the water and the fire dragon areas. Really liked this. Varying the areas, having different challenges instead of repeating the same, good stuff. Glad that the thunder dragon is in a completely new area, can't wait to do that stuff. Not a fan of them repeating The Imprisoned a third time even if it was the best iteration of it yet. It's just not a very interesting boss.

Also thought the meeting between Link and Zelda after going through the Gate of Time was a bit boring. Zelda is better as an active rather than passive character, she's had enough of that already.

I've noticed that playing the harp while walking around sounds pretty good. Why then are the ingame songs all bad and super simple to play? A real waste.

You found the meeting that had
the revelation of why Link and Zelda play the roles they do throughout the entire series boring?

Alright guys, I just finished the 3rd dungeon and I still haven't figured out why I'm collecting bugs. If it's something really obvious and stupid that I just missed then I'd like to hear about it (with a hint or something), but if it's something I just haven't gotten to yet then I would prefer to not know when its going to happen.

Someone want to take a shot at a non spoilerific answer for me?

Alright guys, I just finished the 3rd dungeon and I still haven't figured out why I'm collecting bugs. If it's something really obvious and stupid that I just missed then I'd like to hear about it (with a hint or something), but if it's something I just haven't gotten to yet then I would prefer to not know when its going to happen.

You can either use them to power up potions from the Potion Lady's husband or sell them for varying amounts of money.

There's no spoiler involved. You've had access to their use since the beginning of the game.
Bugs: Potions :: treasures: items.

peakish

the revelation of why Link and Zelda play the roles they do throughout the entire series boring?

Yup.
We knew how the story stuff was gonna unfold with Link and Zelda being chosen heroes (or an incarnation of a goddess). But that stuff wasn't too bad, I just thought it was a boring meeting. Zelda was all serious and "Oh I can't return to my previous life with all these responsibilities, instead I will sleep." Of course it makes sense, but I would have liked a warmer meeting between friends (my love is sadly taken by the item shop girl :(). Link and I have been looking forward to this meeting with Zelda for many hours and I wanted something heart warming and sad, not Link banging on a glass/force field.

yeah the harp is actually fun instrument when you play it on your own. The songs just have you go back and forth but you actually have far more control over the notes than that. It may not have the usefulness of the wind waker but I still like the harp more than any other instrument. To be fair I'd rather them just drop instruments entirely but whatever.

I agree, the story elements with the harp just doesn't add to the game. But I would be For including it just as an item which isn't required, just for fun and/or a few side quests.

Yup.
We knew how the story stuff was gonna unfold with Link and Zelda being chosen heroes (or an incarnation of a goddess). But that stuff wasn't too bad, I just thought it was a boring meeting. Zelda was all serious and "Oh I can't return to my previous life with all these responsibilities, instead I will sleep." Of course it makes sense, but I would have liked a warmer meeting between friends (my love is sadly taken by the item shop girl :(). Link and I have been looking forward to this meeting with Zelda for many hours and I sure didn't just want all that serious talk and Link banging on glass.

Fair enough. It was a jaw-drop moment for me.

BY2K

Membero Americo
With all that said, I hope something good comes when finally waking her up. The crystal being viewable in the modern day temple is a great tease.

Have you checked that door the very first time you enter the sealed temple?

Smellycat

I just beat the game, and now it is telling me that I unlocked
hero mode
, and asking me if I want to continue. If I say yes, does that mean that I would start the game all over again and lose my previous file?

edit: WTH if I want to keep my old file I have to copy it before starting the final battle? And the only way to save is to start
Hero mode
?

edit: I guess it is not a problem afterall haha. I copied my file, and beat the final boss in 2 minutes.

peakish

Have you checked that door the very first time you enter the sealed temple?

I did, but didn't see much or understand what it was in there. I was assuming we'd crack them open later in the game and from that point I like this turn of events.

Zelda? Nope.

Strange, there's been a fair amount of Zelda commcerial time on Danish TV. Nothing compared to how much they air the Mario Land and MK7 commercials, but still. Also seem to be a lot of Zelda displays in electronic stores and whatnot.

Tuck

So I finished the game. Yay. Some spoilers.

My thoughts:
-Overall, it was a blast. May just be my game of the year.

-Flying was fun when I learned how to do it right, though depth perception in the sky was... off. It was hard to see how far you were from objects. The sky was also quite empty. Mini dungeons and other secrets would have been fun, but I enjoyed looking for the treasure chests.

-Combat was great. I almost never had a problem with the motion controls. Everything was accurate.

-Motion controls worked for flying, swimming, combat, and a few gestures (Ex. The whip, bow and arrow). However, there did NOT work for things like rope swinging, which was really frustrating. Not everything needs motion controls, but for the most part, it worked well.

-The stamina meter was a smart idea. And now I want it gone. On one hand, it adds a certain level of strategy, and enabled them to add some more platforming to the series. But running out of stamina was annoying. In games, whenever a run option is available, that is all I'll be using. Link was too slow without it. Get rid of the meter, continue to add more platforming, but make the difficulty come from the platforming itself, not the time limit. Or at the very least let stamina be upgradable.

-Fi. I've said it before, I'll say it again. Worst Zelda character ever created. Enough with the helper side kicks. No more Nintendo. They have over stayed their welcome. Implement a hint menu instead. Fi had zero personality, would ruin puzzles (Sometimes without me calling for her), and talked so, so slow. Which leads me to...

-Text: Way too slow. Speed it up, and give an option to make all the text appear at once. Fuck that scrolling bullshit, save for a few moments when it is successfully used to suggest the characters are talking slowly on purpose. I enjoyed the fact that we had response options, but hopefully they expand this next time.

-Dungeons: Loved all of them. The highlights were
Sky keep, which was the best one in the game, Ancient Cistern (Heaven and Hell) and the Pirate ship.
None were very hard, but most stumped me, even if briefly.

-Item collection: Good idea, bad execution. I don't need a description of the item every time. And why does my shield BREAK? Become unusable, sure. But break? The hell? Bugs were annoying to catch.

-Faron: The weakest of the three areas, but still fun. Certainly more open than the other two as well, yet still layered enough that it wasn't bland like TP Hyrule field. I didn't mind the tadtones quest. I was more offended by the reason. The water dragon is a bitch. I need to prove myself again? After I got you your fucking water? After I learned the rest of the song from the other dragons? After I had the fucking triforce on the back of my palm? After I got the fucking master sword? Fuck you bitch.

-Eldin: A great area. Really layered with lots of stuff to do. The stealth mission late in the game was great, probably the best implantation of stealth in the series.

-The desert: Easily the best area. Constantly had new things to do, and new places to explore.
The sand sea was an incredible idea. As were the time shift stones.

-Fetch quests: I think there were three or four, that made you go back to a previous area for one item. Get rid of that shit Nintendo. useless padding. the game can stand on its own.

Final fight:
-The part right before it was cool.
Endless amount of enemies. So many on screen at once. I was laughing at how unexpected it was.

Final boss:
Girahim was easy enough. Cool fight. Demise was fun, and the graphics were wonderful during his fight.

Lastly, I wish there was more of a connection to the lore. We see the
creation of the master sword, the implied creation of Hyrule, get an explanation for why Ganondorf acted the way he did on his jealousy of the prosperity of Hyrule.
But I'd like to have seen a bigger relation. Oh well.

OH! Last thing. Next time an overworld would be nice. Flying was fun, but I would like more of a connection between he areas on the surface.

EDIT: Harp sucked. They need to find a new instrument where we can learn songs to interact with the world again. Those were fun.

Well, it was a pretty boring revelation.
All of our other Links were destined to be the hero because...the first Link was destined to be a hero? We had never heard of Hylia before this game. I'm not sure why we were supposed to be so interested in Zelda being Hylia reincarnated. The real dramatic weight of those scenes should come from the fact that Link and Zelda choose to take on difficult roles that will potentially keep them apart for a very long time, but Zelda's "choice" is apparently not a hard one once she regains her consciousness of being a goddess, and Link, it turns out, doesn't actually have to stand eternal guard over the seal (and so apart from Zelda) - he can just straight-out kill Demise. So they say goodbye for what is a short time for Link and effectively no time for magically sleeping Zelda. Not all that moving.

The thing is, we already had an origin story for most of the series' recurring elements. OoT explained the connection between Link, Zelda, and Ganon, and it gave us a good idea why the they continue to be reborn. Really, the only games SS brings for the first time under a unified theory (if we even care about such things) are the ones with a brand new Link and Zelda but no triforce or Ganon.

ASIS

So I finished the game. Yay. Some spoilers.

-The stamina meter was a smart idea. And now I want it gone. On one hand, it adds a certain level of strategy, and enabled them to add some more platforming to the series. But running out of stamina was annoying. In games, whenever a run option is available, that is all I'll be using. Link was too slow without it. Get rid of the meter, continue to add more platforming, but make the difficulty come from the platforming itself, not the time limit. Or at the very least let stamina be upgradable.

...Uh.. You DO know there is a stamina potion that you can upgrade right? That would give you a LONG time to run without losing any stamina.

Alrus

The water dragon lady really is a complete jerk... I really hate her. Doesn't help that the parts involving her are the most boring ones. (The "get me some water" one was such blatant padding, it really dragged the game down for a while)

Well, it was a pretty boring revelation.
All of our other Links were destined to be the hero because...the first Link was destined to be a hero? We had never heard of Hylia before this game. I'm not sure why we were supposed to be so interested in Zelda being Hylia reincarnated. The real dramatic weight of those scenes should come from the fact that Link and Zelda choose to take on difficult roles that will potentially keep them apart for a very long time, but Zelda's "choice" is apparently not a hard one once she regains her consciousness of being a goddess, and Link, it turns out, doesn't actually have to stand eternal guard over the seal (and so apart from Zelda) - he can just straight-out kill Demise. So they say goodbye for what is a short time for Link and effectively no time for magically sleeping Zelda. Not all that moving.

The thing is, we already had an origin story for most of the series' recurring elements. OoT explained the connection between Link, Zelda, and Ganon, and it gave us a good idea why the they continue to be reborn. Really, the only games SS brings for the first time under a unified theory (if we even care about such things) are the ones with a brand new Link and Zelda but no triforce or Ganon.

Hylia needs a mortal hero to wield the Master Sword in defense of the Triforce. Which she sets up in that cut scene.

ASIS

I don't see the need for
Hylia.
Overdramatizes and convolutes the whole relationship unnecessarily.

It makes perfect sense though. The only way the story would make sense otherwise is if
Zelda was "destined" to be a sage or something, which is stupid IMO.

Red

It makes perfect sense though. The only way the story would make sense otherwise is if
Zelda was "destined" to be a sage or something, which is stupid IMO.
I don't think so.
It seems like a weird attempt to rewrite the origin story of these characters, arbitrarily adding a new, stupidly predicable component that's had no place in the series so far.

I mean, it's okay, but inessential. Nothing revelatory.

Sadist

Okay, 5th dungeon question

Another freaking rotation lock...what's the combo to unlocking it? I found the the combination on the floor but apparantly I'm not seeing it. I've tried right, left, right, up and up, down, up, left but I got zilch.

Alrus

Okay, 5th dungeon question

Another freaking rotation lock...what's the combo to unlocking it? I found the the combination on the floor but apparantly I'm not seeing it. I've tried right, left, right, up and up, down, up, left but I got zilch.

Up, Down, Up, Right. By the way the steering wheels next to door have this orange thing that tells you in which direction you should read the ones hidden in the dirt.

I'm pretty sure that's it, but not entirely. Worse case scenario you can always check the sheikah stone, it'll give you the combination.

Top Bottom