• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

The Hermit

The music is my least liked aspect of the game (apart from Fi). In fact, this is the third straight Zelda game in which I have been less than impressed with the music. Most of the background stuff in SS is extremely forgettable. Nothing compares to the serenity and mystique of Lake Hylia from TP. Then again, my views of Zelda music are probably heterodox.

The only thing I liked about TP was that song and Midna's Distress. Which makes even more jarring when you have songs like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFssdavLxjE.

Although the best music from SS wasn't as good as the ones above, most of its soundtrack is decent/good and more uniform.

So I just beat the
ship, and it by far had the best boss so far in the game. So creepy. Tied together so well thematically. Great music. Great atmosphere. Awesome chaotic gameplay, a ton of fun. I forget what "number" dungeon this is, but whatever. The dungeon was very good, but the boss was A+ IMO

So I just beat the
ship, and it by far had the best boss so far in the game. So creepy. Tied together so well thematically. Great music. Great atmosphere. Awesome chaotic gameplay, a ton of fun. I forget what "number" dungeon this is, but whatever. The dungeon was very good, but the boss was A+ IMO
Interesting, he was actually one of my least favorite bosses. The whole thing felt a little too simple to me and the boss was kind of goofy looking. I still enjoyed it, though. My favorite boss so far has been the one in the dungeon previous to the one you just finished. The
ship is the 5th dungeon, by the way.

That's one thing I love about Zelda games, there is always a nice spectrum of opinions on the bosses and dungeons (and even the games in the series, for that matter).

Mistle

So I just beat the
When the
ship tilted was nuts, and then everything that followed was pure awesome. Such a good atmosphere and mood, and even challenge. One of the best parts of the game imo (and there are plenty of good parts!). Was on the edge of my seat. Too bad the monster's cartoony design took away the fear :/ lol

Interesting, he was actually one of my least favorite bosses. The whole thing felt a little too simple to me and the boss was kind of goofy looking. I still enjoyed it, though. My favorite boss so far has been the one in the dungeon previous to the one you just finished. The
ship is the 5th dungeon, by the way.

That's one thing I love about Zelda games, there is always a nice spectrum of opinions on the bosses and dungeons (and even the games in the series, for that matter).

The boss previous to him was awesome as well, don't get me wrong. But it felt like a boss without a ton of soul, whereas the boss of the 5th dungeon felt like
a demi-god of some sort to me. I'm not sure why, but he just had that legendary feel. Where you saw goofy, I saw creepy. I hate tentacly things, perhaps that's why! In any case, picking up the sword and beating the shit out of the previous boss was amazing as well haha

The boss previous to him was awesome as well, don't get me wrong. But it felt like a boss without a ton of soul, whereas the boss of the 5th dungeon felt like
a demi-god of some sort to me. I'm not sure why, but he just had that legendary feel. Where you saw goofy, I saw creepy. I hate tentacly things, perhaps that's why! In any case, picking up the sword and beating the shit out of the previous boss was amazing as well haha
I still think it was a cool boss fight and the more you talk about it the more I realize that it actually was pretty enjoyable. I really liked the build up to fighting him as well.

When the
ship tilted was nuts, and then everything that followed was pure awesome. Such a good atmosphere and mood, and even challenge. One of the best parts of the game imo (and there are plenty of good parts!). Was on the edge of my seat. Too bad the monster's cartoony design took away the fear :/ lol

Yeah that's the other thing, I count the
run up to the boss as part of the boss for sure, and that's another reason why he is my favorite. That was definitely the best gameplay I have seen for a boss in Zelda for the most part I think.

andthebeatgoeson

To the people complaining about the hints: I bought phantom hour glass when it released and stopped playing it for a few months. Tried to pick it back up but didn't know where I was not could remember what to do next.there might be a way to find out but after 3-4 times,I gave up. I've been playing this game nonstop but after that experience, I appreciate the reminder when you start up of what you need to do.

I have kids and shit can put a few months between gaming sessions (still trying to complete dkc when we bought it last year) and these snail things are appreciated by myself. Now, it also wouldn't hurt to give the option to skip these hints. An expert difficulty.

Mael

To the people complaining about the hints: I bought phantom hour glass when it released and stopped playing it for a few months. Tried to pick it back up but didn't know where I was not could remember what to do next.there might be a way to find out but after 3-4 times,I gave up. I've been playing this game nonstop but after that experience, I appreciate the reminder when you start up of what you need to do.

I have kids and shit can put a few months between gaming sessions (still trying to complete dkc when we bought it last year) and these snail things are appreciated by myself. Now, it also wouldn't hurt to give the option to skip these hints. An expert difficulty.

It's pointless because you have the down button to summon Fi if you have any problem and she can and will explain everything to you then.

andthebeatgoeson

It's pointless because you have the down button to summon Fi if you have any problem and she can and will explain everything to you then.

I agree but think it's a better step then in the opposite direction. Hell,I hate how it explains every bug over and over or how to carry pumpkins but I got a different perspective on it today.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
The only thing I liked about TP was that song and Midna's Distress. Which makes even more jarring when you have songs like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFssdavLxjE.

Although the best music from SS wasn't as good as the ones above, most of its soundtrack is decent/good and more uniform.
Are you commenting on the quality of the MIDI or the quality of the song itself? Apart from the actual quality of the MIDI, the song works adequately as boss music, though Twilight Princess had some genuinely good boss tracks in other places (Fyrus, Ganon). I can also think of other things I like about the soundtrack besides the two you mentioned: Midna's Theme, Ilia's Theme, the title theme (though underutilized), Hyrule Field, and the best version of the fairy's song in the entire series.

I actually think that SS is far less consistent. It has some great music, such as the Romance song and the credits, but much of it is very forgettable. I never cared for the Ballad of the Goddess (or at least the original arrangement of it); however, I think that it works well when played on the harp.

Sagitario

Around the volcano you often have to toss bombs into specific areas. The timing window for bombs isn't all that lengthy so you need to be quick. You first have to aim the camera in the right direction by tapping Z, but that only works if you keep adjusting Link's facing. Once you get that right you have to use the motion controls to toss or bowl the bomb. With the way I'm sitting in my chair, the most natural positions for holding the Wii-mote up or down do not trigger the actual action. It's not difficult, of course, but it keeps cropping up. It's not a natural series of actions.

Not an issue if I'm standing or stiffly sitting on a chair, but I'd rather not be forced into those positions for a few actions now and then.

That's unfortunate.
I don't know if this will help, but in the section you're mentioning [I am assuming inside the cave, where you get the mitts], the bombs do not need to go inside the holes where the flame monsters are, they just need to be placed in the entrance of the hole.

The Boat

Am I the only one who liked (or noticed) the cool stuff they did with the text speed? Like slowing it down, making it faster or even stopping for a while to emphasize the way the characters were speaking. Together with some well timed voice samples I thought it was very nice.
I guess I'm just annoyed easily though, I only wished it was faster when I tried talking multiple times with the same characters and ended up with old conversations asides from that I had no problem. Still, it should be possible to skip or rather make the whole text appear instantly by pressing B.

JaseMath

I have a question and I was hoping someone could help me...
I plan on playing SS in a few weeks. Are the controls really so finicky that I need to install homebrew stuff on my non-hacked Wii to enjoy the game? ...Or are people making a mountain out of a molehill?

Notwithstanding, is hacking worth it just to get the message speed working faster?

I plan on playing SS in a few weeks. Are the controls really so finicky that I need to install homebrew stuff on my non-hacked Wii to enjoy the game? ...Or are people making a mountain out of a molehill?

Notwithstanding, is hacking worth it just to get the message speed working faster?

Uh yeah, I think you already know the answer to this question. Hyperbole is rampant here.

Ok someone explain me WTF are the colored birds youy see when falling down the Pumpkin Bar.
I can get most of them (I can never get the last 2) before I touch ground.
Does it give you something cathing all, is it possible? Or its only a shitty, just there minigame?

Red

Ok someone explain me WTF are the colored birds youy see when falling down the Pumpkin Bar.
Does it give you something cathing all, is it possible? Or its only a shitty, just there minigame?

They are flying squirrels. They give you rupees.

Cheats do improve the game. Increasing text speed, disabling Fi's warnings, and stopping treasure notifications for every pick up should be mandatory.

MisterHero

you get
20 rupees

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

You don't NEED that stuff to enjoy the game, but it no doubt makes it much better with those simple fixes.

just beat the (mid-game (maybe?) spoiler)
Ancient Cistern last night. Koloktos is now one of my favorite Zelda bosses, and the Ancient Cistern is one of my favorite dungeons.

I don't know if this is the dungeon everyone was praising, but if so, well deserved.

also possible minigame spoiler, but a question involving the lumpy pumpkin:
how the heck do you do the part where you have to play the harp? I have tried a ton of times, but never get a satisfactory. I feel like I'm following the peoples arms near perfectly.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Am I the only one who liked (or noticed) the cool stuff they did with the text speed? Like slowing it down, making it faster or even stopping for a while to emphasize the way the characters were speaking. Together with some well timed voice samples I thought it was very nice.
I guess I'm just annoyed easily though, I only wished it was faster when I tried talking multiple times with the same characters and ended up with old conversations asides from that I had no problem. Still, it should be possible to skip or rather make the whole text appear instantly by pressing B.

Zelda has always done this. In TP the light spirits slowly talk one word at a time, but you can instantly fill the whole text box by hitting the button again.

TheContact

I just grabbed this today but didn't get the gold version. I pre-ordered the special edition from GameStop, but when I went into the store to pick it up they told me they weren't shipped enough copies, and that they'd try to call around to have one shipped to the store. They said they'd call me in a week or so. Well they never called, but I went in today to buy some stuff and they recognized me and told me that they couldn't have it shipped to us, but instead she would give me the original game and a controller with wiimote plus built in for the price of the special edition. I sorta got screwed over on the gold edition but didn't complain because I went in to pick it up the other day, and the game was released on Nov 20th or something, so like a month ago.

Jackano

Currently re-having a blast with the New Game+.
This is going to be fucking hardcore at some point I think.
Double damage is less a problem than no heart at all in the entiere world! You better manage your bottles/potions pretty well.
Also, there is minor changes in dialogues and some places setup. Fans of syfy probably noticed some space-time paradox in the first quest, nothing like that in NG+.

For the moment, I even prefere doing this second quest instead of searching for 100% in the regular quest. I think some mini-games will be too shitty to be completed. This is Minish Cap again. 100% minus the fraking cuccos game. This s**t have not its place in a Zelda game, lazy Aonuma!

Thrakier

You know wat, guys, I found something out. This isn't a Zelda game. This is Wii Sports 3 Zelda themed. It's only a meta game, a playground for WM+ mechanics.

You can play:

- Sword fight
- Bowling
- Basketball
- Pilotwings stuff
- Archery

Those are all the games I found out so far. I'm only at dungeon 3 so there are probably more.

Hiltz

I recently finished the
Eldin Dragon
quest and did the sidequests for Beedle and the fortune teller.

The the
bamboo mini game
is pretty tough. By using horizontal slashes I can only get up to 25 hits, but then tried using slight diagonal slashes can get me up to 27 at most. As for the
cannonball
mini game, I have only gotten through four of the loops.

maharg

idspispopd
What worked well for me on the bamboo game was to do a lot of vertical ones to start and then switch to horizontal when it collapses.

I just grabbed this today but didn't get the gold version. I pre-ordered the special edition from GameStop, but when I went into the store to pick it up they told me they weren't shipped enough copies, and that they'd try to call around to have one shipped to the store. They said they'd call me in a week or so. Well they never called, but I went in today to buy some stuff and they recognized me and told me that they couldn't have it shipped to us, but instead she would give me the original game and a controller with wiimote plus built in for the price of the special edition. I sorta got screwed over on the gold edition but didn't complain because I went in to pick it up the other day, and the game was released on Nov 20th or something, so like a month ago.

when i went to pick up skyward sword at gamestop, the cashier told me that i was lucky when i came in. apparently, despite me paying all of it upfront when i first pre-ordered, they were still giving them away to people who reserved them online who didnt pay anything yet. so regardless whether you preordered online or off, it was still a first come first serve basis, and i managed to grab the last bundle there.

reminded me why i stopped buying games there

ant1532

Banned
Just beat it. I'm pretty fucking pissed about the confusing save questions and hero mode after you beat it. I fucking was so confused and was like yes, fine, hero mode, let me save, and then it says, your going to lose my save data. So the fucking thing makes you erase your save file to just play hero mode? Just like that? WTF. I can not believe this shit. So pissed right now. This is the dumbest shit ever. Now the game i spent >40 hours in is just gone. Can't finish sidequests or do boss rush or play the final sequence again now. Fuck eveything about this.

ASIS

Just beat it. I'm pretty fucking pissed about the confusing save questions and hero mode after you beat it. I fucking was so confused and was like yes, fine, hero mode, let me save, and then it says, your going to lose my save data. So the fucking thing makes you erase your save file to just play hero mode? Just like that? WTF. I can not believe this shit. So pissed right now. This is the dumbest shit ever. Now the game i spent >40 hours in is just gone. Can't finish sidequests or do boss rush or play the final sequence again now. Fuck eveything about this.

You're pissed that the game told you it's going to delete your save and you still said yes?

Try a circle 8 motion. It'll slide down one side then you'll chop the opposite and it'll slide the other way, Keeping it center. Was able to get into the 40s with that method.

The
bamboo mini game
is pretty tough. By using horizontal slashes I can only get up to 25 hits, but then tried using slight diagonal slashes can get me up to 27 at most. As for the
cannonball

Yeah, the saving at the end was a bit annoying, even though they explain that they'll write over your completed save. I remember Wind Waker allowing me to preserve my completed file and letting me save NG+ somewhere else. Not sure why they changed it for this. :/

Wonderful game though.

ant1532

Banned
You're pissed that the game told you it's going to delete your save and you still said yes?
I'm not an idiot. If it was just one question simply laid out like that, yeah I wouldn't be ranting about how confusing it was. Its sloppy and misleading. Statements such as "delete your progess up to this point" could infer not saving after the boss fight.

Jackano

The
bamboo mini game
cannonball

For the first minigame I got something like 33 hits on my first fraking try. Never be able to beat it again after that, even with a longer
sword
. I don't know what I did right the first time, maybe the WM+ was sort of broken :lol

The second one, I'm not a fan of that, but it's a war of attrition. I spent something like 200 rupees in there 3 days in a row. Just enought to not being too mad after all those try, and getting better at it. Once you can have the full bonus pretty much everytime, you just have to restart the minigame until you have enought luck to get the 50 rupees case. I've done it, so, seriously, everyone can do it ^^

TheContact

when i went to pick up skyward sword at gamestop, the cashier told me that i was lucky when i came in. apparently, despite me paying all of it upfront when i first pre-ordered, they were still giving them away to people who reserved them online who didnt pay anything yet. so regardless whether you preordered online or off, it was still a first come first serve basis, and i managed to grab the last bundle there.

reminded me why i stopped buying games there

I'm not too big a fan of GameStop either but there aren't any other game retailers near me besides Best Buy or Walmart, and it's a much quicker process to buy a game from GameStop than big retail stores (usually). I really should just start ordering games online and be patient with the ship time.

MisterHero

For the Bamboo minigame
You can sometimes get 1-3 pieces of decent-length bamboo to land vertically and close enough that you can get 2x or even 3x points per slash. I wouldn't depend on it happening everytime though. :p

Another helpful thing is if the bamboo stalk falls out of reach, use a spin attack to hit it and possibly get it to tilt towards you. But then again, if this happens to begin with, you've pretty much lost out for a new record.

The Boat

I'm not an idiot. If it was just one question simply laid out like that, yeah I wouldn't be ranting about how confusing it was. Its sloppy and misleading. Statements such as "delete your progess up to this point" could infer not saving after the boss fight.

I'm sorry dude, but they spell it out for you. It sucks that they don't give you the option to start it in another save, but they do explain it.

smoothie_splash

Neo Member
can anyone in the UK explain why the wiimote plus bundle is now nearly £90 on Amazon?
and £80 on other sites?

it's cheaper to get the game and remote separately. i understand it's a limited edition but surely this is enough to stop people sitting on the fence from buying the game.

do you think the remote will be bundled with the game after the new year? it should be

RagnarokX

can anyone in the UK explain why the wiimote plus bundle is now nearly £90 on Amazon?
and £80 on other sites?

it's cheaper to get the game and remote separately. i understand it's a limited edition but surely this is enough to stop people sitting on the fence from buying the game.

do you think the remote will be bundled with the game after the new year? it should be

It's a limited edition. Unofficial sellers are selling it at a premium. It was much higher few weeks ago.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I'm surprised that, given their inclusion in the past few games, Darknuts or a similar knight enemy weren't featured in Skyward Sword. The Stalfos were fun to fight but not quite enough.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I suspect they weren't included because they wouldn't have been able to one-up it come time for the final boss.

Just keep your expectations in check. There is a good game in here but unfortunately it's constant need to make sure everyone can play with little difficulty brings it down considerably. I reached the fifth dungeon before I couldn't take it anymore. All the worst elements of this generation are in full force in this game.

I do envy those that don't mind because it fucken sucks not enjoying a Zelda game.

I'm playing the game and minus some tutorial annoyances, can't really see the problems people are citing here. When i read "worst", "bad", "sucks" "gave up" about SS I just want to /quit

Top Bottom