• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Kambing

I chose the wrong time to start playing this... 3 weeks before my finals. I have not played anything for two weeks and my finals will be over this week but i just really want to fucking play this. Can't get it out of my head. Ughhhh. Paused the game at the third dungeon too. Why do i keep popping into this thread -_-

sphinx

the piano man
It just happened three more times! The camera just slowly pans over the bird as it sinks into the manila clouds and nothing I do can get it to fly. Fuck this piece of shit it's going on ebay tomorrow. Is my motionplus broken or something? I had no trouble using the sword in the caves or anything. So infuriating that I can't enjoy one of my favorite franchises because of fucking motion controls.

read the instructions. You have to "waggle" the wiimote to make the bird fly higher.

it's YOUR fault for not reading.

fuck this thread, it's just stupid people posting how fucking awful everything is when they don't even get it. I normally don't write like this but I just had enough from the last 5 pages of hate and apathy.

the game is what it is, if you don't like it or don't get it or hate motion controls, then do something better with your time or something.

geez..

Mistle

It just happened three more times! The camera just slowly pans over the bird as it sinks into the manila clouds and nothing I do can get it to fly. Fuck this piece of shit it's going on ebay tomorrow. Is my motionplus broken or something? I had no trouble using the sword in the caves or anything. So infuriating that I can't enjoy one of my favorite franchises because of fucking motion controls.
This is embarrassing.

Himself

I'll try the flicking motion. I checked the booklet and it made it look like more of a 6 inches up and down motion and it made me hope no one happened to be looking in the window while I was doing it.

At this point I'm just poking fun at myself even though I seriously can't get it to work. I beat Demon's Souls without using a FAQ or summoning other players to help, yet I need a FAQ plus other people's help to keep this damn bird out of the clouds.

Mistle

You can pretty much move the Wiimote in ANY direction to get the bird to flap. Just do a quick motion, like hammering in a nail.

Himself

Update! I got through it. Shit was tough as nails. Can't say I entirely understand how it works, but I'm sure I'll catch on. Now I'm off to enjoy the rest of the game so long as there isn't too much flying...
nervous laughter

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Do you guys seriously think he's doing it wrong? You don't even need a specific motion, just jerking the controller makes it flap. His motion+ must be fucked up.

Or not? haha.

Do you guys seriously think he's doing it wrong? You don't even need a specific motion, just jerking the controller makes it flap. His motion+ must be fucked up.

Or not? haha.

This may be possible. I have two Motion plus add ons. I was having a lot of trouble with the controls and switched the motion plus which fixed a lot of the problems. I am guessing the other one is screwed up.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
OOOOHHHHHHHH

Now THIS is more like it! Can't believe what a BIG difference this little things do for *my* (mileage may wary) enjoyment of the game:

instant text
removed notifications for first time collectibles pick-ups
Removed Fi's health warnings
Removed Fi's shield warnings
Removed Fi's calling beeping
Removed low-health beeping and purple screen

Didn't need to use Accio or any other program like Garcia suggested, CFG Loader itself just takes care of everything in 2 seconds:
point at the game and press 1 (game options)> scroll down to enable Ocarina (yes)> scroll further to Manage Codes>download .txt>select cheats>save as .gct

I like the sword motion controls but my M+ (wish I had a Remote Plus but I have 4 remotes already and I'm not convinced yet of what we'll see fit for WiiU to invest in a fifth remote), so I might try the Motion Controls Sensitivity
Modifier code since (especially) the forward-thrust strike needs too much power for my tastes, maybe my M+ is a bit finicky. Anyone tried messing with those settings?

maharg

idspispopd
First playthrough, with no knowledge of the dungeons, puzzles? And I 100% all the sidequests/upgrades/collectables? 25 hours.

If anyone is even remotely familiar with Zelda, they can fly through this game.

Yeah, dude. I'm not familiar with Zelda games at all. I've only played *every single one* (starting with the second quest of TLoZ because I put Zelda as my name not knowing any better no less) and finished every one made by Nintendo other than TP.

25 hours is not normal.

OOOOHHHHHHHH

Now THIS is more like it! Can't believe what a BIG difference this little things do for *my* (mileage may wary) enjoyment of the game:

instant text
removed notifications for first time collectibles pick-ups
Removed Fi's health warnings
Removed Fi's shield warnings
Removed Fi's calling beeping
Removed low-health beeping and purple screen

Didn't need to use Accio or any other program like Garcia suggested, CFG Loader itself just takes care of everything in 2 seconds:
point at the game and press 1 (game options)> scroll down to enable Ocarina (yes)> scroll further to Manage Codes>download .txt>select cheats>save as .gct

I like the sword motion controls but my M+ (wish I had a Remote Plus but I have 4 remotes already and I'm not convinced yet of what we'll see fit for WiiU to invest in a fifth remote), so I might try the Motion Controls Sensitivity
Modifier code since (especially) the forward-thrust strike needs too much power for my tastes, maybe my M+ is a bit finicky. Anyone tried messing with those settings?

What?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I thought I was going to hate this but I kinda liked it too. It didn't drag nor it was too long or complex, luckily.

The
last silent realm(Skyloft)
was easier than the previous one, no? When I arrived to the last dungeon I thought I was going to hate it
(I hate those kind of puzzles)
but it wasn't too hard. I thought
Girahim's 3rd Form would be harder to beat and fighting all the bokoblins was way more awesome and challenging IMO. So now I have to face Demise but I'll take a break from that and do more side quests.

Does anybody knows what happens if you give
Cawlin's letter to the person in the toilet? Who was him/her? I gave the letter to Karane.
Yeah, I was thinking that
you had to get all of your weapons and items back one-by-one, but I was so glad to see that it ended up not being the case!

I thought
the last Silent Realm was harder, actually. The order of difficulty I placed the Silent Realms for me was: Skyloft > Lanayru (for some reason I had trouble with this one while one of my friends did not) > Eldin > Faron. Zelda Musou at the end was awesome! Link barrelling his way down the path through all those enemies. It was one of those instances where I had to think, "Link is a badass". Ghirahim's third form was easier than his second for me.

Oh, regarding your last bit...
I gave the letter to the toilet hand. Cawlin hates you for not giving the letter to Karane and his scream is really funny. If you go into his room at night, you'll see the ghost hand stroking his head lovingly, giving him nightmares in the process, lol.

My god, everybody here hates what I love about this game, haha

I mean, yes, we all agree that collecting bugs/treasures the first time and the pause it does there sucks. And the text could stand to be a bit skippier.

But man, the rest of the game is a blast. I seriously don't understand how anybody has trouble flying the bird or swimming. It's so natural and easy for me, and way better than analog in such situations.

Ah well. I'll keep on loving it :)

bridegur

It's shocking to me that they didn't include an "I'm not a moron" option for people who wanted to opt out of notifications. That would have solved so many of this game's problems.

It's also a shame that the world feels like a bunch of interconnected rooms. Wind Waker felt so much more like a real world, Twilight Princess took a step back, and this goes even further in the wrong direction. Hopefully the Wii U will finally allow them enough power to make something that feels like a completely seamless world.

Locke_211

I found the best way to gain altitude quickly is eerily similar to the best grip and motions for masturbating (if you're a guy!)

And I found the equivalent Volcano bit more annoying than the tadtones.

IrishNinja

okay! so i'm at the part where
zelda sealed herself up in the past, and im told to go to skyloft to search for the triforce.

i recall reading something about
a boss mode for the hylian shield? is that coming soon? where does it happen, and are there any pointers for it? i finally got the awesome master sword, need a proper shield to match!

McNum

okay! so i'm at the part where
zelda sealed herself up in the past, and im told to go to skyloft to search for the triforce.

i recall reading something about
a boss mode for the hylian shield? is that coming soon? where does it happen, and are there any pointers for it? i finally got the awesome master sword, need a proper shield to match!
You'll find hints about an
absurdly durable shield
here and there, but you need to progress the story further to be able to do it. You can't miss the NPC you need to talk to to start the battles, though. He's kind of obvious.

Update! I got through it. Shit was tough as nails. Can't say I entirely understand how it works, but I'm sure I'll catch on. Now I'm off to enjoy the rest of the game so long as there isn't too much flying...
nervous laughter

OK, I apologize for the EXTREMELY shitty hard-to-see boring video I took with my phone that is in the wrong orientation because I never ever upload videos... but you should still be able to tell what flying should "really look like" with the WM+ here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cDPGqLKikw

StevieP

Banned
I really hope that Nintendo evolves a bit and try to deliver a slightly more cinematic experience next time. If not this was my last Zelda game. I defenitly do NOT want to do all that stuff again for the 9th time. It's so "been there done that" it's not even funny. And still I'm enjoying it to a certain extent which speaks for the quality which nintendo can deliver.

BigJonsson said:
The long cutscenes are so boring :( I just want to play!

This is why Zelda and GAF will never mix.

Salaadin

This game is fantastic. I cant get over how good everything (except swimming) is. The dungeons, the gameplay, the story. Its probably my favorite Zelda game since Majoras Mask (I love WW too!) and might edge out The Witcher 2 as my GOTY.

Himself

OK, I apologize for the EXTREMELY shitty hard-to-see boring video I took with my phone that is in the wrong orientation because I never ever upload videos... but you should still be able to tell what flying should "really look like" with the WM+ here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cDPGqLKikw

Thanks! That's more or less what I'm doing. At first I was flailing my arm like a madman, then trying to sort of tilt the controller back and forth, nowhere near as subtle as what you're doing there. Just a simple snap like hammering a nail or hitting a snare drum is all it takes.

Also, I noticed it seemed much more responsive after I took off the rubber condom thing on the Wiimote. Not sure if it's my imagination or if it actually helped.

I'm pretty sure my love for Zelda will overcome my disdain for motion controls in the end. The game itself is fantastic so far.

Thanks! That's more or less what I'm doing. At first I was flailing my arm like a madman, then trying to sort of tilt the controller back and forth, nowhere near as subtle as what you're doing there. Just a simple snap like hammering a nail or hitting a snare drum is all it takes.

Also, I noticed it seemed much more responsive after I took off the rubber condom thing on the Wiimote. Not sure if it's my imagination or if it actually helped.

I'm pretty sure my love for Zelda will overcome my disdain for motion controls in the end. The game itself is fantastic so far.
Just like almost every motion in SS, it's all in the wrist.

look at the sun/bird meter on the left. if your bird is all the way down, it means youre getting close to the clouds and you need to flap up. just flap the wii mote 3-4 times, like youre hammering something. its as easy as that

edit: looks like you got it

krYlon

This game is fantastic. I cant get over how good everything (except swimming) is. The dungeons, the gameplay, the story. Its probably my favorite Zelda game since Majoras Mask (I love WW too!) and might edge out The Witcher 2 as my GOTY.

Yay, Ys fans have good taste confirmed.

It's shocking to me that they didn't include an "I'm not a moron" option for people who wanted to opt out of notifications. That would have solved so many of this game's problems.

It's also a shame that the world feels like a bunch of interconnected rooms. Wind Waker felt so much more like a real world, Twilight Princess took a step back, and this goes even further in the wrong direction. Hopefully the Wii U will finally allow them enough power to make something that feels like a completely seamless world.

i actually really like the metroidification of zelda in SS. my wish for the next one is to have all of these "zones" to be connected together as one huge place. maybe eliminate "traditional" dungeons and just have one awesome seamless experience of puzzles, battles, traps and stuff.

i really enjoyed just how dense the surface was in this game and i hope they continue that direction

zigg

If you realise you can turn with the control stick while underwater they are fine. I'm surprised many didn't realise you could do that.
I did. Still false!
I didn't realize it and they're still awesome. SORRY TOG

(Actually I'm not a huge fan of the spin-leap, but swimming itself is great.)

Point-of-no-return question, including end-game spoilers:
Am I past any point of no return if my save is just before running down the Sealed Grounds spiral to challenge Ghirahim, fighting the mobs of Bokoblins etc. on the way down?

Point-of-no-return question, including end-game spoilers:
Am I past any point of no return if my save is just before running down the Sealed Grounds spiral to challenge Ghirahim, fighting the mobs of Bokoblins etc. on the way down?

Nope. AFAIK you can't save after the point of no return, except right after beating the game.

zigg

Nope. AFAIK you can't save after the point of no return, except right after beating the game.
Cool, thanks. I sort of sat there with my jaw hanging open when
the Goddess Statue fell off Skyloft
... thinking "oh no, now Uncle Bats will never get his Grabitude Crackles!" :lol

Himself

This game is proabably a masterpiece. Six hours in and I can't wait to see what the next area/scenario/character will look like because it's all wonderfully creative and does a pretty good job of shaking up the Zelda formula.

But...the motion controls are absolutely killing the experience for me. Instead of wanting to explore and swipe every bushel of grass and fight every enemy, I'm finding myself rushing toward the objective because the controls are just no fun at all. Walking on ropes, sword fighting, dowsing, everything just feels so damn cumbersome. The worst part? They are completely (from what I've encountered so far) unnecessary. Absolutely nothing that could have been (should have been, as an option at least) done with a plain old controller.

I'm sure you folks that unabashedly love the game are sick of hearing about this "motion controls are ruining he game for me" rant because they didn't ruin it for you, but damn...I can't help thinking the whole time I'm playing, "If it weren't for these pointless controls this would be up there with WW and LttP as my favorite Zelda game".

PKrockin

Speaking of the point of no return, is there any way someone could put it in a non-spoilery way so I know when to go back and do sidequests? Or is it made clear in the game?

StevieP

Banned
This game is proabably a masterpiece. Six hours in and I can't wait to see what the next area/scenario/character will look like because it's all wonderfully creative and does a pretty good job of shaking up the Zelda formula.

But...the motion controls are absolutely killing the experience for me. Instead of wanting to explore and swipe every bushel of grass and fight every enemy, I'm finding myself rushing toward the objective because the controls are just no fun at all. Walking on ropes, sword fighting, dowsing, everything just feels so damn cumbersome. The worst part? They are completely (from what I've encountered so far) unnecessary. Absolutely nothing that could have been (should have been, as an option at least) done with a plain old controller.

I'm sure you folks that unabashedly love the game are sick of hearing about this "motion controls are ruining he game for me" rant because they didn't ruin it for you, but damn...I can't help thinking the whole time I'm playing, "If it weren't for these pointless controls this would be up there with WW and LttP as my favorite Zelda game".

Tilting is one thing... but please tell us how you'd be able to replicate the sword controls on an analog stick.

Himself

Tilting is one thing... but please tell us how you'd be able to replicate the sword controls on an analog stick.

I mean as far as sword positioning and holding it upwards to charge, etc. I'm sure it could all be duplicated via a second analog nub or simply holding a button to charge it up. I just don't feel the sword controls, even though you can say they are "the best ever done" or whatever, are anywhere near as accurate/responsive as buttons and analog sticks.

zigg

I mean as far as sword positioning and holding it upwards to charge, etc. I'm sure it could all be duplicated via a second analog nub or simply holding a button to charge it up. I just don't feel the sword controls, even though you can say they are "the best ever done" or whatever, are anywhere near as accurate/responsive as buttons and analog sticks.
There are some issues still that have been covered elsewhere (drift and interpretation chief among them), of course, but it's worth noting that between the E3 demo to starting this game to the point where I re-challenged past bosses, I have personally made marked strides in accuracy using the Wii Remote Plus to swing the sword. It's really rather striking (get it?). It always felt better, of course, than thumbing a stick around, but I simply cannot imagine doing it any other way now. This is the way.

Speaking of the point of no return, is there any way someone could put it in a non-spoilery way so I know when to go back and do sidequests? Or is it made clear in the game?

It is made clear. You will know when you are about to face the final boss of the game with 100% certainty.

Salaadin

Yay, Ys fans have good taste confirmed.

"Ys fan" and "having taste" go hand in hand :p

There are some issues still that have been covered elsewhere (drift and interpretation chief among them), of course, but it's worth noting that between the E3 demo to starting this game to the point where I re-challenged past bosses, I have personally made marked strides in accuracy using the Wii Remote Plus to swing the sword. It's really rather striking (get it?). It always felt better, of course, than thumbing a stick around, but I simply cannot imagine doing it any other way now. This is the way.

When I first started playing, I had several moments where I would just groan out loud and think "this would be much better with an analog stick or buttons" but the more I played and the more I learned, the better it got. Buttons and analog sticks are now the last thing on my mind.

It adds so much to the combat for me that I dont think I ever want to play a 3D Zelda game again that doesnt let me swing my Wii Remote like a sword.

Id say that my only major complaints with the game are swimming, the camera and jumping.
Tinker with swimming so that its not annoying (it needs an analog stick).
I wish there was a better way to focus the camera that didnt involve rapid pressing of Z. A second analog stick on the remote would do wonders but that will also be uncomfortable and probably wouldnt work.
The auto jumping near a ledge still works but I also die more than I care to admit because I just HAVE to grab that heart or rupee that landed right on the edge causing me to auto jump into the abyss below. Not sure how they can fix this without giving us a dedicated jump button.

On a funnier note, every time I jump from Skyloft and a knight has to rescue me, I love how they scold me and tell me that I wont be a good knight if I dont stop doing that. Im saving the world right now. Back the fuck off!

Top Bottom