• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm playing the game and minus some tutorial annoyances, can't really see the problems people are citing here. When i read "worst", "bad", "sucks" "gave up" about SS I just want to /quit
There are still quite a few positive impressions in the past few pages, though. The game just seems quite divisive nonetheless.

I kind of get the criticisms about the soundtrack, but I personally enjoy how melodic it is. It's so pretty. :3

There are still quite a few positive impressions in the past few pages, though. The game just seems quite divisive nonetheless.

I kind of get the criticisms about the soundtrack, but I personally enjoy how melodic it is. It's so pretty. :3

you...give me new hope, old boy

but then i read the next "Here's 78 things that I dislike about SS. 1)..." post and just want to drown in my bathtub

Mistle

Opinions and all, I get it, but this thread does frustrate the hell out of me. All I've learnt from it is to never trust gaf when it comes to Zelda. So much whining and nitpicking.

maharg

idspispopd
What it comes down to -- and will always come down to -- is whether or not you're ok with them stretching a 15 hour game into a 50 hour one.

It's not just about the game having padding, but being conflicted on whether or not the padding itself is good.

A lot of the stuff people in this thread complain about, I didn't think was that bad. Hell, I enjoyed some of it.

jackdoe

you...give me new hope, old boy

but then i read the next "Here's 78 things that I dislike about SS. 1)..." post and just want to drown in my bathtub
I think the thing you're forgetting is that even though there are some incredibly stupid things in the game (IMO at least), the game is still enjoyable. I enjoyed it in spite of segments I absolutely loathe.

maharg

idspispopd
I've never claimed to be the fastest player of these types of games, but 20 hours on a first playthrough for this one? Sure. That's normal. Of course it is.

I've never claimed to be the fastest player of these types of games, but 20 hours on a first playthrough for this one? Sure. That's normal. Of course it is.

First playthrough, with no knowledge of the dungeons, puzzles? And I 100% all the sidequests/upgrades/collectables? 25 hours.

If anyone is even remotely familiar with Zelda, they can fly through this game.

Thrakier

First playthrough, with no knowledge of the dungeons, puzzles? And I 100% all the sidequests/upgrades/collectables? 25 hours.

I needed ten hours just to get to dungen 3...which is fucking tedious. The whole segment looks pretty shitty and the music is hyper annoying. I think the real problem is that the game has "last gen" written all over it, even when you are using dolphin. It's not just the tec though it's...everything.

I really hope that Nintendo evolves a bit and try to deliver a slightly more cinematic experience next time. If not this was my last Zelda game. I defenitly do NOT want to do all that stuff again for the 9th time. It's so "been there done that" it's not even funny. And still I'm enjoying it to a certain extent which speaks for the quality which nintendo can deliver.

Mistle

20-25 on first play through? o_O and i thought 30 was rushing.

I've played all the 3D Zeldas many times and SS took me 50 hours. Granted, I spent a lot of time just going around and exploring, taking in the world. It's not like I got stuck for hours on end. I just take my time to enjoy the game, instead of aiming for the end of it.

I imagine my second playthrough will be 30-40 hours.

Anth0ny

I went as fast as possible without a guide, no sidequests, no unnecessary time wasting, and my final clock was 32 hours.

I'd swear Fi's dialogue alone is 25 hours, how you've managed to 100% the game in that time is astonishing to me.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I stopped thinking so much about the dislike posts (because there seemed to be a lot when I was going to start posting in this thread about my progress) and started putting more emphasis on how I felt about the game. It's probably one of the better things I did, aside from going on a media blackout.

Going through this thread since finishing, some people complained about some things that I actually liked. A few of the complaints (ex: padding, a certain boss battle) are valid, though. However, despite having flaws, the game is still very enjoyable. At least for me it is; it's one of my favourite Zelda titles, period. I played a lot of Zelda games this year in the lead-up to this game, and I really do feel it's my favourite 3D Zelda next to Majora's Mask.

SS took me 55+ hours. I did leave the game idling at times, and went looking for Goddess Cubes that I had already found hours ago, though. I also like taking my time and exploring, talking to NPCs, learning about the world on my own, etc.

Hiltz

I'm past the 50 hour mark and still have some stuff to do before the last dungeon. I also still need to get the rest of the gratitude crystals and only have around 61 so far.

By the way, I got 36 hits on the bamboo branch by starting out using a vertical skyward slash and then using horizontal slashes after. Unless you get a heart piece from attempting to right a higher score, I won't bother trying again.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It took me 39 hours doing most of the side stuff but not getting 100% of the heart pieces and such...never really wasted that much time either aside from the start, I foolishly flew all around the sky at the beginning thinking I'd actually find something interesting so it took me around the 5 hour mark to actually make it into the first dungeon.

MisterHero

I took 50 hours for my first TP playthrough, 25 on a second

It took me ~50 to finish SS, but ~65 to 100%

I was really trying to not
dowse for Goddess Cubes
though :p

suaveric

I bust my butt to get all those grattitude crystals for the demon and all it gets me is a
massive wallet
? What's the point?
By then I have no need for money.
How pointless.

Caelus

This is a lot more interesting if it's an official, non-glitch method

I haven't tried it yet, but I heard it from several forums, I believe
Hero Mode
must be completed.

After having beat the game in hero mode, go to the isle of the goddess in the sealed grounds and talk to Groose

I really must try this!

Tenbatsu

I'm past the 50 hour mark and still have some stuff to do before the last dungeon. I also still need to get the rest of the gratitude crystals and only have around 61 so far.

By the way, I got 36 hits on the bamboo branch by starting out using a vertical skyward slash and then using horizontal slashes after. Unless you get a heart piece from attempting to right a higher score, I won't bother trying again.
My friend got 37 using the goddess sword. I only managed 32 using the Master Sword :(

Mistle

I haven't tried it yet, but I heard it from several forums, I believe
Hero Mode
must be completed.

After having beat the game in hero mode, go to the isle of the goddess in the sealed grounds and talk to Groose

I really must try this!
Are we talking about the
catapult?
If so, you can use that in the normal mode, first playthrough. Of course that's before the
Isle of the Goddess falls,
so maybe it's something else, but I doubt it.

Caelus

My friend got 37 using the goddess sword. I only managed 32 using the Master Sword :(

...what is up with you guys? I got 46! The trick is to use a skyward strike and keep slashing vertically.

Anyways,
Apparently Groose uses the groosenator to transport you to places such as the Thunder Dragon and the minigames in the provinces, as well as islands in the sky.

Mistle

...what is up with you guys? I got 46! The trick is to use a skyward strike and keep slashing vertically.

Anyways,
Apparently Groose uses the groosenator to transport you to places such as the Thunder Dragon and the minigames in the provinces, as well as islands in the sky.
See above post, you can do that on your first playthrough.

It does seem though that most of the people that went on a complete media blackout ended up really enjoying it.

Yep, I'm one of those people, I've even been avoiding this thread as much as possible.

Just beat the 5th Dungeon. Love that Orchestral boss theme! How the hell are you supposed to get that Goddess Cube by the Skipper's Hideout? If it's an object I need that I aquire later in the game, just say that.

Good thing I checked this thread, those codes sound fun to try. Although aside from skipping inane Fi dialog, I'm kinda worried changing the text speed would dramatically alter the intended feel for cutscene dialog, like if a character is supposed to slowly, dramatically whisper to you, although maybe I'm thinking about it and worrying too much.

Caelus

Are we talking about the
catapult?
If so, you can use that in the normal mode, first playthrough. Of course that's before the
Isle of the Goddess falls,
so maybe it's something else, but I doubt it.

Wait, you have to use it before the Isle of the Goddess falls? Hmm... is there a video of this? I'm finding contradictory ideas, some say it's when the Isle falls to the Sealed Grounds, and others say it's before. Maybe in Hero Mode you can access it even when it falls?

Mistle

Wait, you have to use it before the Isle of the Goddess falls? Hmm... is there a video of this? I'm finding contradictory ideas, some say it's when the Isle falls to the Sealed Grounds, and others say it's before. Maybe in Hero Mode you can access it even when it falls?
I didn't know this was some big secret haha. I can make a video if needed but I'm sure some other people can chime in? You can definitely do it before the
Isle of the Goddess falls. I believe you can do it anytime after the 3rd time versing the Imprisoned. (or maybe after doing all 3 of the dragon quests)

Caelus

Alright, beat Hero Mode, got a sick triforce on my save file, and guess what? The groosenator works when you beat the game in Hero Mode, and you can go to any minigame in the world! I'm glad they did this.

Himself

Just started up the game and got about 45 min. in (this opening is a real crawler!) to what should have been a joyous moment
flying for the first time
and instead was treated to some red pointy things sticking out of a manila colored swamp as Zelda repeatedly told me how I was supposed to be controlling it, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how.

Had to shut it down and I hope this doesn't lead to my biggest fear about this game: that I'll spend more time cursing the stupid fucking motion controls than enjoying the game. Rage quit 45 min. in.

Just started up the game and got about 45 min. in (this opening is a real crawler!) to what should have been a joyous moment
and instead was treated to some red pointy things sticking out of a manila colored swamp as Zelda repeatedly told me how I was supposed to be controlling it, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how.

Had to shut it down and I hope this doesn't lead to my biggest fear about this game: that I'll spend more time cursing the stupid fucking motion controls than enjoying the game. Rage quit 45 min. in.

Flick up to flap up. Tilt controller left and right to move left and right. Tilt up and down to move up and down. Aside from flapping, its pretty straight forward IMO.

Thoraxes

Hold it like you normally do, but then pretend like the wiimote is a paper airplane.

Himself

I tried flicking up with little motions, then tried more broad full arms swings. Tried tilting the aim of the controller and moving the controller itself. Maybe something went wrong with the controller or something.

It's totally straight-forward which is why I don't understand what went wrong. It wasn't me. It must have been the calibration or something.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I tried flicking up with little motions, then tried more broad full arms swings. Tried tilting the aim of the controller and moving the controller itself. Maybe something went wrong with the controller or something.

It's totally straight-forward which is why I don't understand what went wrong. It wasn't me. It must have been the calibration or something.

Nothing in flight should require anything like broad full arm swings or moving the controller itself. It really is just twist left, twist right, tip down, jerk up.

Himself

Thanks for talking some sense, dudes. Gonna walk the dog, cool off, and give it another go. Maybe make a gin and tonic. I've been looking forward to playing this.

SaintZ

I was surprised that
the Eldin Volcano stealth section was actually kind of good. I really liked its execution. Plus the little atmosphere bits like the heart lub-dubs as you approach enemies, the lack of adequate hearts throughout the section, the volcano going to hell and the lack of weapons went a long way in making the section very enjoyable to me.
I thought I was going to hate this but I kinda liked it too. It didn't drag nor it was too long or complex, luckily.

The
last silent realm(Skyloft)
was easier than the previous one, no? When I arrived to the last dungeon I thought I was going to hate it
(I hate those kind of puzzles)
but it wasn't too hard. I thought
Girahim's 3rd Form would be harder to beat and fighting all the bokoblins was way more awesome and challenging IMO. So now I have to face Demise but I'll take a break from that and do more side quests.

Does anybody knows what happens if you give
Cawlin's letter to the person in the toilet? Who was him/her? I gave the letter to Karane.

Himself

It just happened three more times! The camera just slowly pans over the bird as it sinks into the manila clouds and nothing I do can get it to fly. Fuck this piece of shit it's going on ebay tomorrow. Is my motionplus broken or something? I had no trouble using the sword in the caves or anything. So infuriating that I can't enjoy one of my favorite franchises because of fucking motion controls.

It just happened three more times! The camera just slowly pans over the bird as it sinks into the manila clouds and nothing I do can get it to fly. Fuck this piece of shit it's going on ebay tomorrow. Is my motionplus broken or something? I had no trouble using the sword in the caves or anything. So infuriating that I can't enjoy one of my favorite franchises because of fucking motion controls.

You just flip the controller up slightly. Shake it a little up and down if you really have to.

Talk about reactionary. Sounds like you're either holding the Z button or your bird is losing altitude (which means flap). Flick up fast.

And by flick the controller, I mean tilt-flick it.

Himself

This tutorial is probably the most challenging and difficult section of a Zelda game since the water temple-possibly even more so. People act like Demon's Souls is tough, they've obviously never tried using a Wiimote to fly a bird.

Kard8p3

This tutorial is probably the most challenging and difficult section of a Zelda game since the water temple-possibly even more so. People act like Demon's Souls is tough, they've obviously never tried using a Wiimote to fly a bird.

It's a shame it doesn't seem to work right for you. I feared the controls might get in the way when I started but the controls ended up working perfect the whole way through for me.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

You ever flick a magic wand or conductors baton? Same motion to gain altitude, flick up and jerk down. I mean, could you upload a video of you holding the remote while flying or something?

Top Bottom