• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Thrakier

I' playing on dolphin and I don't want to run in that bug. Can anyone fill me in how I can avoid it? I'm in the fourth dungeon right now.

mdtauk

I' playing on dolphin and I don't want to run in that bug. Can anyone fill me in how I can avoid it? I'm in the fourth dungeon right now.

At some point later in the game, you have freedom to choose which order you revisit the areas. Choose Lanayru last and you will be fine.

mdtauk

I think I'm up to that part. What actually triggers the bug?

Its a little complicated, and I am not sure you are there yet. This may be a little spoilery but here goes.

You come to a point where you need to find 3 dragons, to learn the various parts of a new Song for your harp.

If you visit Lanayru first, you have to talk to a character and that messes things up.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Was this posted?

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/12/15/nintendo-offers-to-fix-broken-skyward-sword-save-files/

Siliconera said:
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword has a game breaking bug that involves the Song of the Hero quest. If you a certain song out of order, Link will be stuck in a position that makes it impossible to complete the game.

Nintendo confirmed the bug and a solution on how to avoid it (spoiler alert!) was shared on the Internet. That’s nice and all, but not exactly helpful if you have a corrupted save file.

There’s a fix, says Nintendo. Actually, two of them. If you have a damaged save file you can send your SD card or Wii to Nintendo and they’ll repair the data. The service is free and Nintendo will even pay for shipping (they recommend a COD), but users have to wait at least a week to get hardware back.

If your Wii is connected to the Internet there is an easier solution. Nintendo plans to release a program that repairs broken save files too. When? Nintendo said details will be announced on their homepage at a later date.

ccbfan

For those having a problem with the controls.

You have to move really slow for the wiimote to register correctly.

Like abnormally slow.

Once you get that timing right. (As in slow enough for the wiimote to register correctly but fast enough to hit enemy openings) then the wiimote is really accurate (Honestly this is really the hardest part of SS combat).

Not that you really need to be accurate though. Only time you can't waggle is against Ghirahim.

You can even waggle against the last boss. I beat him without a shield (Heck I finished the entire game without a shield after the first one broke in a few hits since I was being cheap with my rupees and refused to buy anything that can break or I can use up.)

Just get close to the guy. Waggle until you score a hit, back flip dash right after. Repeat. First section dead.

Second section. Use skyward strike. Get close waggle.
2nd section dead.

Disguises

For those having a problem with the controls.

You have to move really slow for the wiimote to register correctly.

Like abnormally slow.

Once you get that timing right. (As in slow enough for the wiimote to register correctly but fast enough to hit enemy openings) then the wiimote is really accurate (Honestly this is really the hardest part of SS combat).

Not that you really need to be accurate though. Only time you can't waggle is against Ghirahim.

You can even waggle against the last boss. I beat him without a shield (Heck I finished the entire game without a shield after the first one broke in a few hits since I was being cheap with my rupees and refused to buy anything that can break or I can use up.)

Just get close to the guy. Waggle until you score a hit, back flip dash right after. Repeat. First section dead.

Second section. Use skyward strike. Get close waggle.
2nd section dead.
Yea, because that sounds fun. Personally I don't waggle because it's simply not enjoyable. Pulling off perfectly angled attacks while my enemy is blocking the opposite direction is a lot more satisfying.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
On average, how long is this game?

Also, how would you compare the pacing to Twilight Princess?

ccbfan

Yea, because that sounds fun. Personally I don't waggle because it's simply not enjoyable. Pulling off perfectly angled attacks while my enemy is blocking the opposite direction is a lot more satisfying.

Actually how do you beat the last guy with no shield and accurate movements? I could never figure it out.

I tried it at the start and he just blocked everything. It wasn't until I started waggling that I could land a hit which he'd instantly try to counter which was easily avoided with a back flip. Repeat and he went down quickly.

First playthroughs seem to average 35+ hours. (Took me 45 hours, with a fair amount of sidequest dilly-dallying.) Time to the first dungeon is much faster than in Twilight Princess. TP probably moves faster later into the game, though.

Overall I think the main quest is moderately shorter than TP, as the dungeons are simpler.

Hiltz

I got all of the gratitude crystals and finished the last dungeon too. It was probably the most confusing one I've ever been in thanks to the central puzzle concept. I was seriously confused and lost and just resorted to a guide starting at the
2nd puzzle block switching in the room with the conveyor belt and beamos enemies.

This game does eat up batteries like crazy. I've probably gone through close to 10 batteries in 55+ hours... and two of them are rechargable and used twice.Well, make that three times now since the indicator is currently in red. I've gotten so many deaths thanks to the nunchuck's analog stick going haywire on me. The analog stick is frequently getting locked into the forward position (despite fixing it each time) and just makes Link either run into an enemy or fall off the edge of a platform.

Struct09

I completed the game last night, it took me just under 35 hours. I thought it was great, but I can't say it was my favorite game released this year. Which is weird for me since Zelda is my favorite game series.

What I liked:
- The lead-ups to the main dungeons, which were basically dungeons themselves
- Jumping off ledges to catch my bird and fly around, never got old
- Dungeons were pretty well designed for the most part
- Boss fights were solid
-
Sky Keep
. So awesome!
- The controls worked really well, and were used in fantastic ways.
- The artstyle is definitely my favorite among all the Zelda games. Even in only 480p it looked great on my HDTV.

What I didn't like:
- Fi's constant interruptions, along with all the unnecessary notifications. I'm pretty sure I yelled "I KNOW, STFU" at my TV multiple times.
- I didn't really dig the "mood" of the game. I didn't catch any feelings of epicness while playing, compared to games like OOT and Twilight Princess. There was never really a feeling of impending doom,
even the last boss was like "Take your time and come fight me when you're ready, whatevs". It would have been cool if they did something like having the future affected by Demise being resurrected in the past. And the final boss fights in OOT, WW, and TP were all way more epic.
- The
Silent Realms
. Seriously, F those things. They weren't fun at all.
- Fighting
The Imprisoned, especially since you had to do it three times

I truly enjoyed the game, but it's definitely not my favorite Zelda game. OOT is still king for me, and I would also probably put this one behind Twilight Princess. I felt they came up with some good ideas to slightly mix up the Zelda formula, but I would still love to see a Mario Galaxy-esque reinvention of the series. I realize that my likes/dislikes are mostly based on comparisons to other Zelda games, so taking it on its own and not comparing it to other Zelda titles it's one of the best games released this year.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My copy of this finally arrived today! I look forward to starting it up tonight.

Amory

The highs are so great in this game, when the experience just flows, you're solving puzzles relatively fast, steadily making your way through a dungeon, intuitively using all the gadgets correctly to find a path forward, experiencing the best motion controls have to offer...

But the lows are so goddamn annoying. Zelda is one of the only game series that actually makes me feel stupid because I can't figure out where to go next. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens enough over the course of a long game that I'll take a week off of playing before eventually forcing myself to go back and try again. Hey Fi, how about instead of telling me to refill my health every time it's low, you give some useful advice on the path forward when I ask for advice?

Aside from that, all the other usual zelda issues remain. The fact that the game constantly has to explain that the building material you picked up is, in fact, a building material, and then shows you that it's been placed in your inventory feels like a glitch. And yet no, it's just a staple of the series. Stuff like that...seriously what are they thinking?

The fact that a zelda game is a zelda game is simultaneously the best and worst thing about it.

The highs are so great in this game, when the experience just flows, you're solving puzzles relatively fast, steadily making your way through a dungeon, intuitively using all the gadgets correctly to find a path forward, experiencing the best motion controls have to offer...

But the lows are so goddamn annoying. Zelda is one of the only game series that actually makes me feel stupid because I can't figure out where to go next. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens enough over the course of a long game that I'll take a week off of playing before eventually forcing myself to go back and try again. Hey Fi, how about instead of telling me to refill my health every time it's low, you give some useful advice on the path forward when I ask for advice?

Aside from that, all the other usual zelda issues remain. The fact that the game constantly has to explain that the building material you picked up is, in fact, a building material, and then shows you that it's been placed in your inventory feels like a glitch. And yet no, it's just a staple of the series. Stuff like that...seriously what are they thinking?

The fact that a zelda game is a zelda game is simultaneously the best and worst thing about it.

The problem is, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask - and even Wind Waker and Minish Cap - did not remind the player about every item you picked up unless it was really important (e.g., heart pieces). I personally feel the material/bug reminder has less to do with "Zelda protocol" and more to do with 1) a coding slip (which seems sensible considering it generally only happens after you stop and start again) or 2) an unfortunate opinion about the Wii audience's memory skills. I'm going to believe in the former, and desperately hope the next Zelda game on 3DS or WiiU does not prove me wrong.

I finished the game about two weeks ago, with a total playtime of 60 hours (the longest I think I've ever spent on a first playthrough, but I did stroll leisurely through it and tried to complete everything). I still find myself mulling over the experience, but what stands out are the overlaps between SS and Majora's Mask. It's to the point that I now cringe every time I hear the developers talk about how this Zelda "broke the mould more than any before" because seriously, Majora's Mask already claimed that title, and SS sometimes feels more like an homage to that game in terms of certain structures and systems. Think about it:

Upgradeable materials? A weaker version of the system in MM lets you upgrade your sword.
Running faster? MM had the bunny hood.
Centralized hubworld? Clock town.
Pre-dungeon activities? MM has those.
The 'apparent' villain
serving the will of a master?
Skull Kid-Majora
Time shenanigans? Been there, done that.
Saving at statues? This one is blatantly obvious.
Advanced swimming? Zora mask.

In some ways, these influences make me really happy, because Majora's Mask is without a doubt my favorite Zelda game - but I'm also a little disappointed that Skyward Sword lacks the thematic depth, thick tonality and meaningful sidequest system that Majora's Mask pioneered. At the same time, one can appreciate that SS is more intent on expanding the mythos of the series, whereas MM focused more on the Hero of Time's personal tribulations.

braves01

Banned
Has anyone else gone back to TP after finishing this? I'm only four hours into it and I've just finished the first dungeon. My thoughts (on the GC version) so far are:

-I really miss the stamina/sprint element from SS. It seriously needs to be in every Zelda going forward. Climbing vines is such a pain without it.

-SS intro to first dungeon time is nothing compared to TP. My play clock was at 3 hours before I finally set foot in the dungeon. If this were my first run through and I was really looking around it could easily have been 4 hours.

-Going from Motion+ combat to the traditional combat is really eye-opening. It was frustrating to learn Motion+ in the first place, but TP's combat and basic enemies are just so boring and easy without it. Items are better with Motion+ too.

-TP's first dungeon is so, so much better than SS. I remember all the TP dungeons being awesome, making the SS ones feel simplistic almost in retrospect.

-Midna>Fi. Period.

- The first light fetch quest isn't as bad as I remember it being. I don't remember the rest so we'll see how that stacks up against SS' plethora of fetching.

-TP and SS visuals are a toss up. I really like them both. I think the TP soundtrack is a little more catchy so far, despite being lower quality.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I beat them at literally the same amount of time, ~38 hours for both. I did all of the side stuff in TP, had the rupee armor, gold bugs, etc. but didn't get all the heart pieces in that time limit. To do that and the trials I think I capped it at 45 hours. In SS I also did the same, all side stuff completed but not all the heart pieces. I was dumb and my save is wiped but there wasn't really anything left to do beyond that.

The pacing in TP starts off slow, takes a good bit to get into the first dungeon, and with each of the three areas you have to first do the bug collection. After the third bug thing, dungeon 3 through the endgame was all paced really well to me. Lot of time to make for yourself to explore the world, do sidequests, etc.

SS starts off slow again. Not AS slow as TP, but still took me awhile to get to the first dungeon. SS never sets a constant pacing, and a lot of the biggest bores come at random points, with a frequently mentioned one being right before the endgame. Inbetween dungeons you can't do all that much, the sky is pretty pointless to explore unless you have a cube to hit, and you're always forced to fly to the same areas and waste time. I think the pacing is a lot messier overall. I felt like TP was a longer game so I was surprised when I went back and checked the completion time. SS is definitely worth playing, though.

Has anyone else gone back to TP after finishing this? I'm only four hours into it and I've just finished the first dungeon. My thoughts (on the GC version) so far are:

-I really miss the stamina/sprint element from SS. It seriously needs to be in every Zelda going forward. Climbing vines is such a pain without it.

-SS intro to first dungeon time is nothing compared to TP. My play clock was at 3 hours before I finally set foot in the dungeon. If this were my first run through and I was really looking around it could easily have been 4 hours.

-Going from Motion+ combat to the traditional combat is really eye-opening. It was frustrating to learn Motion+ in the first place, but TP's combat and basic enemies are just so boring and easy without it. Items are better with Motion+ too.

-TP's first dungeon is so, so much better than SS. I remember all the TP dungeons being awesome, making the SS ones feel simplistic almost in retrospect.

-Midna>Fi. Period.

- The first light fetch quest isn't as bad as I remember it being. I don't remember the rest so we'll see how that stacks up against SS' plethora of fetching.

-TP and SS visuals are a toss up. I really like them both. I think the TP soundtrack is a little more catchy so far, despite being lower quality.

Yup! Started up a new TP file a few days ago, already have 25 hours logged and I'm about to head into the Arbiter's Grounds(my favorite along with snowpeak).

The loss of the stamina meter messed with me more than the lack of motion+ sword control. Link climbs DAMN slow here, but at the same time it's actually faster getting around(walkspeed wise is faster, plus rolling on top of that).

It took me comparable times to get into the first dungeon again, it's actually more painless replaying TP compared to SS because you can skip all the text. Also, the first dungeon in TP alone is pretty complex compared to...quite a few SS dungeons, really. Definitely standing out more. By the lakebed temple you already have anything more complex than all of SS aside from maybe the last dungeon.

Minda >>>>>>> Fi, yes. Cannot be stated enough.

The first tear hunt is kinda boring, second is really boring, third is good. I always thought it was like that to me.

I'm playing this on GC so the lack of widescreen sucks, but my eyes adjusted and I still like the artstyle. I also find the soundtrack a lot catchier.

braves01

Banned
I felt like TP was a longer game so I was surprised when I went back and checked the completion time. SS is definitely worth playing, though.

Yeah, when I saw my old TP file I was shocked that I only played 30 hours. I was missing a bunch of heart containers and skipped a ton of side quests, but still.

Amory

The problem is, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask - and even Wind Waker and Minish Cap - did not remind the player about every item you picked up unless it was really important (e.g., heart pieces). I personally feel the material/bug reminder has less to do with "Zelda protocol" and more to do with 1) a coding slip (which seems sensible considering it generally only happens after you stop and start again) or 2) an unfortunate opinion about the Wii audience's memory skills. I'm going to believe in the former, and desperately hope the next Zelda game on 3DS or WiiU does not prove me wrong.

They've been doing it at least since windwaker, so I'd be surprised if it's a coding slip.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, so this is a really cool game.

I've only put 2:12 into it so far (just got to the forest), but I'm having a lot of fun. I was worried after reading/hearing a lot of complaints about a slow start, but I really enjoyed the intro part, and I hated the intro in Twilight Princess. I'm loving the atmosphere of the world they've created. Definitely feels a lot more "Zelda-ish" to me than Twilight Princess.

Nintendo needs to make an
Imprisoned plushie. Squeeze its toes to make them squeak. Push the sealing spike to make it growl/light up/vibrate.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Dowsing for Goddess Cubes seems broken in places. There's a spot in Eldin Volcano where it pointed me right into the middle of a lava lake, and when I approached the lake from a different angle the indicator was no longer there. Another time
at the summit
it kept pointing me through a doorway/area transition no matter which side of it I stood on, and there was no positive dowsing on either side.

leroidys

Dowsing for Goddess Cubes seems broken in places. There's a spot in Eldin Volcano where it pointed me right into the middle of a lava lake, and when I approached the lake from a different angle the indicator was no longer there. Another time
at the summit
it kept pointing me through a doorway/area transition no matter which side of it I stood on, and there was no positive dowsing on either side.

I hate goddess cubes, its a really awful concept IMO. You search for something, but instead of giving you a reward it unlocks a reward that shows up on your map in the barren sky. So lame.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I don't watch 'Two and a Half Men', but I happened to have a long ass conversation at a dinner party tonight with Conchata Ferrell(Berta on the show?) about this game(and Zelda in general).

She is a massive fan of the series and is currently playing through Ocarina again before pushing forward in Skyward Sword, just to get acclimated with all of the connections. Really knew her shit to, especially regarding Zelda 1/2 on NES. She was gushing about her time spent with Skyward Sword. Major respect points too when I found out she had a part in True Romance.

I need to plug in my Wii soon.

I told Peatrice
that I'd marry her after my adventure is over. Poor thing seems so excited about it, too.

How am I ever going to explain this to Zelda?

Disguises

Actually how do you beat the last guy with no shield and accurate movements? I could never figure it out.

I tried it at the start and he just blocked everything. It wasn't until I started waggling that I could land a hit which he'd instantly try to counter which was easily avoided with a back flip. Repeat and he went down quickly.
Sorry, I'm still making my way through the game. Not far from the end though. I'm sure there's a genuine tactic to the fight along with all the others. I think that's why I prefer precise movements - each enemy feels like a puzzle itself and overcoming these puzzle feels good :D.

Tenbatsu

Allow the Legendary hero to show you how, with a shield:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibxFYAEL24Y

PKrockin

I told Peatrice
that I'd marry her after my adventure is over. Poor thing seems so excited about it, too.

How am I ever going to explain this to Zelda?

My face throughout that whole side-quest

SmkbV.png

Really interesting to read the impressions of the precision of the motion controls. I just bought a Wii for this game. Have had the other two consoles for years but I've never been interested at all in motion control games (no kinect or move here, either). I'm really really hoping I don't get turned off by imprecise control. I would rather the game demand precision and I get my ass kicked until I learned the system.

Struct09

Really interesting to read the impressions of the precision of the motion controls. I just bought a Wii for this game. Have had the other two consoles for years but I've never been interested at all in motion control games (no kinect or move here, either). I'm really really hoping I don't get turned off by imprecise control. I would rather the game demand precision and I get my ass kicked until I learned the system.

You've come to the right game

Question about getting a certain Item.
How many rounds [post
6-7th
dungeon]
in boss rush do I need to do to get the hylian shield?
Edit: Wow that was fast. Thanks Mr.Hero

MisterHero

Yeah,
Boss Rush
is a lot of fun. After a few attempts you start feeling like a complete badass.
Yeah I'm gonna
Have to try it without picking Ghirahim 3 first, being full-power made it too easy. I took a lot of hits during that fight, then tolerated it for a few more fights, then harvested the hearts of the Horde to restore my health, then did okay for the rest of the rounds. But yeah, after remembering about the hearts not dropping, I'm definitely going to have to change my strategy for Hero Mode. :X

Top Bottom