• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

McLovin

I would love if they did voice work, but I can understand why some wouldn't want it. But I really didn't like how sometimes it would look like they where talking and a grunt came out. Or if its a section where they are singing(Zelda or Fi for example) and the music sounds great and their mouths where just flapping. It kind of reminded me of seeing muppets singing. It was actually worse because their mouths didn't match up. I would have probably liked it better if their mouths didn't move at all.
I played Skyward Sword and LOVED it, one of 2011's best games IMO. However, I had tried Twilight Princess earlier this year and was bored to tears. I reached the point where you have to catch butterflies I think.

Should I try going back? Or am I not the only one who loved SS but didn't enjoy TP?
TP was a great game, but it had looooong stretches of boring. Kind of like the first few hours of WW but through most of the game. It's probably worth it for the story though.

Levyne

Banned
alright guys so i just came to the start of the 6th dungeon and was wondering how much more of the game is left, there's a
total of 7 dungeons
right?

Correct.

I don't think Link should ever have a voice. Or maybe give npcs voices in the next game and then consider giving Link a voice if step one goes well.

That said, (and I've said this before) there were not very many instances where I though MAN the part of the game would be SO much better if they had voices!

Fix the other shortcomings first, I say

Forkball

I'm post dungeon three, the typical area in Zelda where there's some huge story revelation and a big gap before the next dungeon. Is it just me, or am I missing heart pieces? I only have 10 hearts total and I haven't found a heart piece since dungeon two.

Levyne

Banned
I'm post dungeon three, the typical area in Zelda where there's some huge story revelation and a big gap before the next dungeon. Is it just me, or am I missing heart pieces? I only have 10 hearts total and I haven't found a heart piece since dungeon two.

Well, there are 2 hearts that are
Just the heart medals in your pouch.
. Minigames and Goddess chests, mostly, but there are others.

Edit: Also considering that it's back to 4 per heart, I guess it's natural to feel like there are fewer.

McLovin

Hey is there any reason why they don't let you speed through text? I can understand not skipping plot stuff, but if I already read something I should be able to skip it a second time. It was torture trying to sell bugs.
Oh I'm selling these today (wait)
would you like to sell me one of these? (wait)
yes
Which one of these would you like to sell me?(hey how about you put the number you have right next to the name of the bug?) (wait)
OHH YOU DONT HAVE THESE(wait)
you trying to trick me or did you mean something else(wait)
yes
Oh which one of these would you like to sell(wait)
oh those bugs blah blah blah blah blah I would sell that for 50(wait)
how many do you want to sell me? (wait)
1, 5, whatever, or all of them?(wait)
oh you want to sell me X of these at 50 so thats _____(wait)
would you like to sell it for ______(wait)
yes
See you later mantis face, oh thats not an insult I like mantises O_O
I KNOW THAT ASS@#$! YOU TOLD ME THAT EVERYTIME I SELL YOU A F@#^%G BUG >.<

Also by the end of the game I had all this money and nothing to buy.
I did that bug quest and got a half price deal with that flying dude and I had already bought everything.
Some of those rewards didn't match up at all with the game. Oh I got you all the gratitude crystals? So now I have a huge wallet for all my money? But... no one is selling anything I need... ummm thanks?

Ok, so I've finally finished the game. It's simply stunning. The game is so densely packed it is just astounding, the motion controls work perfectly and add so much more depth to the combat/traversal that it's really just incredible. There are so many ways to tackle various situations (every boss has multiple ways to kill them!) that it simply astounds me how they managed to come up with them. The way that each enemy encounter was unique, even if you've already fought them before was simply a design masterpiece. And the blending of dungeon and overworld really works spectacularly well, turning every little part of the game into a puzzle of its own is just wonderful! (with environments and game mechanics constantly re purposed to be used in completely different ways. There's no time where you're simply asked to repeat an action or traverse an environment in the same way twice)

And reading through this thread after playing through the game is hilarious. The responses are so predictable that it just makes me laugh
01laugh.gif
As I played through the game, I noticed countless sections where I thought to myself "yep, Gaffers/internet folk are going to hate this part". The
Silent Realm
is really the ultimate culmination of this. A great big fat middle finger to everyone who hated Forsaken Fortress from Wind Waker, the Tears of Light from Twilight Princess and the Temple of the Ocean King from Phantom Hourglass; and I loved every minute of it!

That's not to say that it's flawless. The pacing does slow down towards the end, the slow text speed and collectable reminders are annoying (but not that big of a deal really), the dungeons are a bit simple in comparison to the best of the series (suffering from 1 key syndrome again) and the final boss/last hour or so is really anti climactic (though mind you,
it was really incredible to see how much better I had gotten at the game in the last Ghirahim battle. I used to die from a single Bokoblin at the start and by the end I found myself destroying hundreds of them with ease!
Also, the bird flying feels like a missed opportunity, they could've done much more with that aspect of the game (relegating it
mostly
to simply being a fun means of transportation.

As for the story, there are some real revelations made here that I would've never expected them to ever do!
WOW! @ Hylia! Never thought they'd ever go back to ALTTP again! It explains so much! Tatl mentioning the Goddess of Time, the difference between the Hylia and the Hyrulians etc
The main villain I'm kinda conflicted about though.
While Demise being a setup for every villain in the series does go a long way towards explaining their appearance, it does kinda take a little bit away from Ganondorf's character. If it weren't for Wind Waker, his character would've been ruined forever!

But really, it lives up to the hype. Well worth the 5 year wait, even if it's not my favourite in the series (that title still belongs to Majora's Mask). It's well up there though!

And while it is most similar to Minish Cap in terms of game structure, it really does feel like a 25th anniversary game. It takes on something from every game in the series, despite feeling so different from past games. This is one of those games where you'll still be discovering new things about it even years from now!

Just for the record
Ancient Cistern
is the best dungeon and also features the best boss!

Now finally reading the Iwata Asks for this game and I'm really glad I waited to do so because this statement...

but I would like to assure the readers that you don't have to worry about finding out spoilers here.

is a great big fat fucking lie. Those interviews spoil almost the entire game FFS! Can't believe that they're so tactless with the matter! The Pikmin comparisons made here though, ring home very true; the influence is really quite clear!

Thrakier

So...this seems like a series you don't like? I mean, why play it then? You must find something endearing in order to keep playing the series AFTER 25 YEARS.

Sounds weird, but it seems like I play it because it's a big name and I enjoyed previous entries of the series.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Are you kidding me with this silent realm shit?

IS THIS SERIOUSLY IN THE GAME?

I thought these sections were really cool. They were incredibly easy and took about 5 minutes to complete but they had a great tension thanks to the music and design of the enemies. The little cutscene when you alert the guards is really unsettling.

i actually thought these parts were really cool. they created a good sense of atmosphere and tension as well as having a good aesthetic design to them, which made them very enjoyable. imo, they're much better than tear collecting in twilight princess and are actually pretty fun.

I've been at the start of the third dungeon for a while now, and am having a hard time mustering the motivation to sit down and play for an extended period. It sounds like a lot of the segments people liked best are right around the corner, but the game's pacing so far has left me less than fully enthused. Any words of inspiration from my fellow gamers here?

I've been at the start of the third dungeon for a while now, and am having a hard time mustering the motivation to sit down and play for an extended period. It sounds like a lot of the segments people liked best are right around the corner, but the game's pacing so far has left me less than fully enthused. Any words of inspiration from my fellow gamers here?

Dungeon 3 is probably the best in the game. It rocks.

I would like to join the 'Silent Realms were actually fun' group. Great tension and atmosphere. Each of them took me 2 tries and never got frustrated with them. Looking for the last few tears with the clock running down was quite an experience.

these parts are amazing

third dungeon is great. the story segments immediately after it are awesome as well

I would like to join the 'Silent Realms were actually fun' group. Great tension and atmosphere. Each of them took me 2 tries and never got frustrated with them. Looking for the last few tears with the clock running down was quite an experience.

i think the biggest reason i loved these parts were because of the stamina meter. there would be a far less feeling of tension without it. its like you had to dodge them for a little bit before you can just bolt it and then stop strategically so you dont lose all of your stamina. love it.

the home stretch from the top of mt. eldin to the "home" area below had me at the edge of my seat. i was so close but then i just touched the waking water while sliding down and i was like "FUCK!". these mother fuckers follow you down the slope as well! gat damn

Some of those rewards didn't match up at all with the game.
Oh I got you all the gratitude crystals? So now I have a huge wallet for all my money?
But... no one is selling anything I need... ummm thanks?

yeah that was a pretty whack prize but in general i felt happy that my rupees actually meant something, unlike in TP. i upgraded all my weapons, bought all the shields a few times because they broke and i had to upgrade them all over again, used potions very liberally, and played a lot of mini games. grinding for tumbleweeds was annoying though...so few and far between

It was easy to outrun the big asshole guys in the silent realm, so it never felt tense to me.

i got caught a few times, but there was once where the dude swung his sword horizontally at me and i just rolled past him. felt like a boss

the last spirit realm was the easiest however. i knew the area like the back of my hand

Cosmozone

I just finished the Edlin part of post-6th dungeon. It's AWESOME. Very cool atmosphere and visuals. Although I can clearly see that some people would hate it like Silent Realm since it's not their type of gameplay.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Mt Eldin had the most tension for me. Ended up being caught by a lantern ghost and realised there were no tears nearby. Basically resulted in me running across half the map desperately hunting for one and taking advantage of jumping in to the lava to narrowly dodge enemies. I found one eventually and just as I thought it was safe I jumped off a ledge straight into a dodgy water pool starting the whole process again.

of course not. you'd have to be dead inside to not be touched by that! there's mostly always a bit of poignancy in zelda games, from the flute player in ALttP to the lonely kakariko/lost woods guy from OoT

like some of the dudes in this thread, i was really hoping
you could activate a giant timeshift or something to make the entire region come to life. i really did feel sad at that point seeing the remains of skippers family when youre like a minute away from a timeshift crystal. would have been a cool sidequest to get them together somehow

MisterHero

you could activate a giant timeshift or something to make the entire region come to life. i really did feel sad at that point seeing the remains of skippers family when youre like a minute away from a timeshift crystal. would have been a cool sidequest to get them together somehow
Gondo can repair them all!

He just needs Ancient Flowers, and they're everywhere!

Of course Gondo will do it!

Won't he?

=[

Gondo can repair them all!

He just needs Ancient Flowers, and they're everywhere!

Of course Gondo will do it!

Won't he?

=[

during a sidequest, you have scrapper come down to lanayru and hes like "this place looks...familiar" and im like "this is your home little angry dude :("

i will pretend gondo came down sometime and settled in lanayru and everyone came back to life. yes.

Forkball

The aesthetic of the silent realm is great, don't get me wrong, but it's like they borrowed some elements of the horrible Ocean King Temple from Phantom Hourglass.

Invincible enemies
Time limit
Stealth

I ran through it perfectly on my third try, but the first two were frustrating as hell. And let me guess, I have to do it two more times and it will be more annoying each time.

ASIS

during a sidequest, you have scrapper come down to lanayru and hes like "this place looks...familiar" and im like "this is your home little angry dude :("

i will pretend gondo came down sometime and settled in lanayru and everyone came back to life. yes.

A little tid bit about Gondo, you know how his mother is always complaining about him putting oil everywhere? And she spends the entire game washing his clothes?

If you talk to scrapper at night he says that he's actually trying to build a washing machine for his mother, to help her. I thought that was awesome!

Also.. I think there is a Spirit track reference in this game.
After you beat the boss of Lanayru Mines, and the sand goes away. Just take a look at the room, with the spinning track in the middle. It's completely useless but I think they made it that way for a reason

I can understand, but do not necessarily agree, with a lot of hate for the game.

But the Silent Realm was great and I hope Nintendo outright ignores everyone complaining about it.

Mistle

After you beat the boss of Lanayru Mines, and the sand goes away. Just take a look at the room, with the spinning track in the middle. It's completely useless but I think they made it that way for a reason
I was looking at that and thinking it was familiar/wondering if it served any purpose... Definitely seems like a ST reference, cool

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
these parts are amazing

i think the biggest reason i loved these parts were because of the stamina meter.

That's one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much as well. I love exploring and looking around game worlds, so figuring out the best path and how to use the stamina well was great fun for me.
Also being sported by a sentry with the outer edge of his lantern and having to do a mad dash away from it. If you didn't have enough stamina, the alert went up and it made for a good moment for me.

Bit like Ocarina of Time for the ice, I just imagine at the end things turned out okay. We did free/revive some robots and I'm sure they could start mining more time stones to make the whole area free again as we saw a few working in the end clips.

Chiave

Just beat the game. Pretty much fixed the problems that I had with TP. I.E. sucky boss fights and unnecessary rupee bloating. Awesome game but I know they could make a better one.

And lol at Fi being more annoying than navi. It's so true. Captain obvious much? I wish there was a way to turn off that shit.

A little tid bit about Gondo, you know how his mother is always complaining about him putting oil everywhere? And she spends the entire game washing his clothes?

If you talk to scrapper at night he says that he's actually trying to build a washing machine for his mother, to help her. I thought that was awesome!

indeed, i noticed that i thought it was cool. i loved the characters in this game, especially the creepy merchant who gets sad when you walk away from his shop. now that i think about it, i wish i didnt rush the first 10 hours or so of the game. im sure i missed out on a lot of the dialogue. were there any sidequests or something with the little kid that always talks about catching bugs?

i havent played ST yet but im going to keep a look out for it. im so tempted to play it now but i dont want to feel overexposed to zelda and end up hating the game because of it

That's one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much as well. I love exploring and looking around game worlds, so figuring out the best path and how to use the stamina well was great fun for me.
Also being sported by a sentry with the outer edge of his lantern and having to do a mad dash away from it. If you didn't have enough stamina, the alert went up and it made for a good moment for me.

Bit like Ocarina of Time for the ice, I just imagine at the end things turned out okay. We did free/revive some robots and I'm sure they could start mining more time stones to make the whole area free again as we saw a few working in the end clips.

those lantern dudes were the most unsettling part about them. when they see you, they just freak the fuck out and make this horrible sound. so good. i was just thinking of how this zelda didnt have a scary area and enemies like the redeads or shadow temple but the spirit realm came close

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

That's the Lanrayu desert, right? For me, that was the most trying and frustrating part of the game. The game gets much better after this, though I'm currently back in the desert, lol.

EDIT- and count me in as enjoying the Silent Realm sections. Fuck the haters.

Hiltz

were there any sidequests or something with the little kid that always talks about catching bugs?

i havent played ST yet but im going to keep a look out for it. im so tempted to play it now but i dont want to feel overexposed to zelda and end up hating the game because of it

There aren't any side quests for the little goofy bug kid.

Just finished the game. Absolutely brilliant.

- Fuck all the Silent Realm haters. I love those sections, totally tense and dramatic. Very fun and interesting use of the environment.

- There's really not as much padding as people keep saying. I think the problem is that people feel like "no new content = padding." Personally I think that "no new gameplay = padding." They may have used a lot of the same environments but the gameplay and puzzles were constantly changing. The only part I didn't like was how many times you have to fight
The Imprisoned
. The gameplay didn't change up enough there for my taste.

- Music was fantastic in some parts, but overall not as memorable as some of the other Zelda games.

- My wife commented that this was the first Zelda with
a happy ending
. She says the other games
are too sad for her. Even if you "win" they're all generally very bittersweet at best

- Final battles were fantastic. It did a great job of showing you how much better you are at the game than you were when you started. And an interesting way to explain some later story events in Zelda.

- Fi definitely isn't as strong of a character as Midna, Navi, Tatl, etc. Then again I didn't really hate Navi like everyone else did.

- I loved all the little nods to various games in the series. Really great work and great for fans of the series.

- I think the bosses were some of the best in the entire series. Really inventive fights that made me think in a different way from previous Zeldas.

- The sky reminded me a lot of the sea in Wind Waker in that it was really sparse and underdeveloped. At least it let you do a bit more than just pick a direction and put the controller down, though.

- I am glad to hear motion controls are here to stay. This is the first Zelda with truly interesting combat in a very long time. And the controls worked perfectly for me.

- Man,
final boss Demise
looked awesome, and that final battle was really spectacular. I enjoyed it a lot more than the final battles in Twilight Princess, the handhelds, and Majora. It's not quite up there with Ocarina's final battle in terms of pure drama, but it's close.

I just started playing and I hate this game.

Wayyy too much dialogue and you can't skip cutscenes like in TP??????

I played for two hours and accomplished nothing.

The flight controls feel way too loose.

Aiming without IR is fucking stupid.

Fucking Fi man, omg. After getting to the surface she talks to me about nothing. Then I kill two deku babas and there's another batch of dialogue! That's when I turned the game off.

But the worst was the cutscene when getting the skyward sword or whatever. They need a fucking 10 minute cutscene to say "hey bad shit is going down and you're the chosen one so go take care of it"? Goddamn.

Chiave

Silent realms weren't bad.
And The Imprisoned sucked... but in an okay way I thought. Each evolution added something more nerve wracking to the table, until you found out how lame he still was and that each evolution basically did nothing even if you sucked.

I just started playing and I hate this game.

Wayyy too much dialogue and you can't skip cutscenes like in TP??????

I played for two hours and accomplished nothing.

The flight controls feel way too loose.

Aiming without IR is fucking stupid.

Fucking Fi man, omg. After getting to the surface she talks to me about nothing. Then I kill two deku babas and there's another batch of dialogue! That's when I turned the game off.

But the worst was the cutscene when getting the skyward sword or whatever. They need a fucking 10 minute cutscene to say "hey bad shit is going down and you're the chosen one so go take care of it"? Goddamn.

i used to agree with that part at first as well but, after a while i figured out that when its asking you to point to the center to realign it you should actually have your wiimote in the position where you'd like the pointer to be at the center of the screen. when i learned that it actually became much more tolerable however, i really don't understand why they didn't use IR in the first place, since i'm always realigning it anyway.

Chiave

i used to agree with that part at first as well but, after a while i figured out that when its asking you to point to the center to realign it you should actually have your wiimote in the position where you'd like the pointer to be at the center of the screen. when i learned that it actually became much more tolerable however, i really don't understand why they didn't use IR in the first place, since i'm always realigning it anyway.

Maybe to make you more proficient with the swordplay and other items.

Thrakier

They are not saying it though. They are writing it on your screen. ;D

High Five!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Sigh.

Something is wrong with me.

I finished WW with no hassles, TP with no hassles, just played through OoT on the 3DS recently no hassle (had played it as a child, but never past the water temple)

but I'm struggling with SS.

I'm loving what i'm seeing, but for some reason I'm just not handling the smallest puzzles well. I've not used motion controls for atleast 3 years and I think that it's throwing me off. I'm having trouble coordinating myself and it's just throwing me off.

but then it's things like the door to enter the first temple, theres a clue on a gravestone nearby that says look at where the bird is facing the sun and shoot.

I then spent the next hour firing from my slingshot at the sun, or flying around on my bird and landing on tiny islands to try and fire at the sun. :(

Then it took me 20 minutes to work out how to get past some skutullas (you didnt kill them.. you just went around them)

Now I'm up to the first temple boss and I just can't work it out..

I sussed out the first stage, i hold my sword to one side, then attack from the other.. but its the second part where ghirsdf.... has his sword.. I've hit him like 30 times.. but he's not dying.. I'm wondering that maybe I have to hit him a special way.. but I can't for the life of me work out what I'm doing wrong :(

and all of the above is just making me not want to pick up the controller, because I know I'll just struggle again and spend an hour doing what some one else could do in 5 minutes. and It's making me feel horrible :(

ivysaur12

Banned
God, I'm having a hard time convincing myself to finish this game. It controls so well... I just wish everything else about it was more interesting.

Top Bottom