• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

maharg

idspispopd
It's not as good as it was in MM with the Zora mask, but it's definitely the closest any non-MM game has gotten. I find it mostly pretty fidgety in this one for fine control, and not as fun as MM for just blazing through the water.

Just posting to report that the instant text and "take away the notification for treasures" cheats massively improve the experience. I also enabled fast flying because the flying sections prefunctory. I was tempted to enable
silent realm guardians don't attack
but I figured that those would cross the line from UI tweaks to straight-up cheating.

So I'm guessing having a Homebrewed Wii is the only way to enable those fast text cheats?

I read some "easy" descriptions on how to do it and I was completely lost trying to understand it. Wish there was a super noob friendly way to do this.

ASIS

It's not as good as it was in MM with the Zora mask, but it's definitely the closest any non-MM game has gotten. I find it mostly pretty fidgety in this one for fine control, and not as fun as MM for just blazing through the water.

MM just nailed swimming. But even then people had trouble "jumping" out of the water. I honestly believe SS is easier in that regard.

maharg

idspispopd
Weird, I never had a problem in MM but I have trouble jumping out in SS all the time. It tends to force me near the surface when I least want it to and you can't jump out from there.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
MM is still unmatched in swimming to me. It was so easy and fast to dolphin dive constantly on water surfaces.

I'm playing TP right now and just beat the third dungeon. Swimming feels really slow in comparison to even SS.

I'm having trouble with the bees in the
Deep Woods
while crossing the ropes. I haven't even made it to the first dungeon. Somebody please help.

Shoot it with your slingshot so it falls, then wait for the bees to go away. You can also return to skyloft,
shoot the bell on the ship moving around in the sky here, and climb the rope. You can buy the bug net from Beedle here and just catch the bees.

duckroll

Weird, I never had a problem in MM but I have trouble jumping out in SS all the time. It tends to force me near the surface when I least want it to and you can't jump out from there.

It's a camera issue. I encountered this in one specific place in the game. In Skyloft, when you have to climb up the boxes to get to the platform, and then jump across the platform to get to the headmaster. Every single time you climb up the boxes to the platform, the way the camera centers is non-optimal for jumping across. If you just run straight trying to gauge the jump from this camera angle, 4 out of 5 times you will end up jumping off the ledge back down instead. But if you stop after climbing up, align yourself right, and then manually re-center the camera, you'll make the jump 100% of the time.

There are some other areas in the game which are like this too. Basically the auto-tracking camera isn't as robust as it should be when it comes to handling the level design sometimes. Get used to mashing the manual camera center button and I found that it improves the jump reliability by a ton.

Anth0ny

MM just nailed swimming. But even then people had trouble "jumping" out of the water. I honestly believe SS is easier in that regard.

Not sure how you could have trouble jumping in MM.

If you could swing a nunchuk, you could... hold down.

This game definitely has the best swimming besides MM if it wasn't for the shitty motion controls ; _ ;

ASIS

Not sure how you could have trouble jumping in MM.

If you could swing a nunchuk, you could... hold down.

This game definitely has the best swimming besides MM if it wasn't for the shitty motion controls ; _ ;

1)Timing
2) Grabbing on the ledge

This isn't about the motion controls (which aren't nearly as bad as some of you are making it seem).

MisterHero

Call me crazy but I hope Link doesn't swim like a dolphin in all future Zelda titles

everything else he does is relatively normal but then he gets in the water and flies around like a missle, crashing into things with his face

It's kinda ridiculous, even for Link

A little behind the times here, but
Quoting myself so you can implement those godsends:

To run the cheats you should use a USB/ISO Loader (I think all of them support Ocarina cheats by now). I use NeoGamma for running ISOs, but you could use any other app you want. You should turn Ocarina mode ON and that's it, that's all you have to do. Ocarina prompts the loader to look for the game's corresponding cheatcode list (.GCN), and if it finds one then all the cheats get activated).

Enjoy!!

Does that mean I have to run the game from ISO?

Call me crazy but I hope Link doesn't swim like a dolphin in all future Zelda titles

everything else he does is relatively normal but then he gets in the water and flies around like a missle, crashing into things with his face

It's kinda ridiculous, even for Link

He got a magic doodad that lets him do that

Hiltz

I'm having trouble with the bees in the
Deep Woods
while crossing the ropes. I haven't even made it to the first dungeon. Somebody please help.

Use the bug net to catch the hornets.

I'm 52 hours in and arrived at the last dungeon. I have like 70+ gratitude crystals.

Anth0ny

Let me counter that with:

If you could correctly time your B button press so that you use your equipped item, and not bring up the inventory screen, you could time your jumps with Zora Link ;)

It took me way longer to get down that B button timing than to learn the awesome dolphin jumps with Zora Link. I still accidentally bring up the menu from time to time...

ASIS

If you could correctly time your B button press so that you use your equipped item, and not bring up the inventory screen, you could time your jumps with Zora Link ;)

It took me way longer to get down that B button timing than to learn the awesome dolphin jumps with Zora Link. I still accidentally bring up the menu from time to time...

What are the consequences of bringing up the menu? The consequence of missing a jump (stone tower) means you have to go back, and do it again.

Let me make this clear, I'm not saying it was flawed, I'm just saying it was more difficult to perform than the dolphin jumps here.

And there is no timing involved in equipping items, it's just a small tap

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
The auto jumping near a ledge still works but I also die more than I care to admit because I just HAVE to grab that heart or rupee that landed right on the edge causing me to auto jump into the abyss below. Not sure how they can fix this without giving us a dedicated jump button.

I used to get that all the time, but only now (after watching my son and daughter play) have I discovered you can just swipe at the heart/rupee with your sword to pick it up - you don't have to walk to the edge.

Why did I never know that? Why did they never tell me?

StevieP

Banned
I used to get that all the time, but only now (after watching my son and daughter play) have I discovered you can just swipe at the heart/rupee with your sword to pick it up - you don't have to walk to the edge.

Nintendo clearly needed more Fi.

MisterHero

It tells you to Press A to Drop Down when you walk near a ledge, just be careful where you're running. You could also use the Beetle or the Whip to get items over a distance (I actually prefer the Beetle)

Speaking of the Beetle, 1st time item notifications are bound to happen sometimes but you can somewhat avoid them by using the Beetle to gather Treasure and Gratitude Crystals. You get the item but not the notification (but you will still trigger the notification if you touch another of the same item later on)

So they show me a "battery low" icon IN the game...ALL THE TIME??? What the hell?
It's the same icon that activates in other Wii games?

krYlon

So they show me a "battery low" icon IN the game...ALL THE TIME??? What the hell?

Yeah, I'm scratching my head at a lot of the complaints in this thread, but this is one thing that pissed me off. Especially with Fi bleeping away eager to tell her master that his batteries are running out.

I paid for my batteries and I'll change them when they have completely run out, lol.

ccbfan

Finished this game last night. Ended up beating the last boss without a shield.

If there's a word to describe this game its "Filler". The game is good but the amount of filler in this game is insane.

Doing 2-3 collecting/fetch quest every time before a dungeon takes a lot from the game. Its literally like 3 hours of collecting/fetching random stuff. Then one hour of dungeon.

Liked the whole smaller dungeons thing it had going but if you're gonna have small dungeons you need more than 7 dungeons total.

Also liked the lack of overworld. Always hated Zelda overworld of emptiness. I mean the sky was still empty but at least it only took 20-30 seconds to get to my destination. Didn't have enough areas though.

Did not like the combat at all. You have to purposely move like a sloth to get the remote to correctly register your movements. When you move really slow its accurate though but when you're in the heat of the moment and you see an opening, obviously you're gonna swing at full speed. Instead to have the remote register correctly you have to swing so slow that if you have a real sword you wouldn't even scratch someone swinging that slow. Took me a while to finally get used to the controls but when you can finally slow your reaction time and swing speed to that of a snail, then the combat finally feels ok.

Luckily though you did not really need to be accurate with the remote to easily finish the game. Only the jester boss (I actually died 10 time during the first boss and died 0 after that) and lizard guys you have to be accurate. Everyone else you really only needed to be concerned about horizontal slash versus vertical slash.

Strangely did not mind the swimming or flying. Sure they were awkward but unlike the sword swings its actually accurate.

Overall this is a good game. Probably the best Zelda since OOT.

kunonabi

Finished this game last night. Ended up beating the last boss without a shield.

If there's a word to describe this game its "Filler". The game is good but the amount of filler in this game is insane.

Doing 2-3 collecting/fetch quest every time before a dungeon takes a lot from the game. Its literally like 3 hours of collecting/fetching random stuff. Then one hour of dungeon.

Liked the whole smaller dungeons thing it had going but if you're gonna have small dungeons you need more than 7 dungeons total.

Also liked the lack of overworld. Always hated Zelda overworld of emptiness. I mean the sky was still empty but at least it only took 20-30 seconds to get to my destination. Didn't have enough areas though.

Did not like the combat at all. You have to purposely move like a sloth to get the remote to correctly register your movements. When you move really slow its accurate though but when you're in the heat of the moment and you see an opening, obviously you're gonna swing at full speed. Instead to have the remote register correctly you have to swing so slow that if you have a real sword you wouldn't even scratch someone swinging that slow. Took me a while to finally get used to the controls but when you can finally slow your reaction time and swing speed to that of a snail, then the combat finally feels ok.

Luckily though you did not really need to be accurate with the remote to easily finish the game. Only the jester boss (I actually died 10 time during the first boss and died 0 after that) and lizard guys you have to be accurate. Everyone else you really only needed to be concerned about horizontal slash versus vertical slash.

Strangely did not mind the swimming or flying. Sure they were awkward but unlike the sword swings its actually accurate.

Overall this is a good game. Probably the best Zelda since OOT.

is everyone using broken wiimotes or something?

jackdoe

is everyone using broken wiimotes or something?
No. I mean, the Wii Motion Plus definitely has an issue with quick movements. It doesn't pick those up accurately 100% of the time so slow and deliberate is the way you need to play. Of course, when it gets all fucked up you can always do a vertical slash to recalibrate, but in combat that isn't necessary feasible.

maharg

idspispopd
Ok so. I'm gonna go right ahead and say that this game has the absolute worst minigame ever in a Zelda game. Absolutely terrible, and it exemplifies most of the things wrong with this game in such a short time too.

The ring game. Make no mistake, I have no trouble controlling Link as he falls, and can nail all five rings pretty much every time, but getting in that spinning 50 spot is like pulling teeth. To top it all off it's a massive money drain. And then, insult added to injury, every time I go to try again I have to go through ridiculously slow text of him taunting me for my failure and then blabbing about the game while my TV makes this YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY soundbite at me.

Ugh.

Himself

The unreliability and intrusiveness of the motion controls are out of control. I'm somewhere in the first temple and I've had enough. I'll give it one more go tomorrow and then most likely it's ebay bound. I can say this without any hyperbole at all: disappointment of the generation for me.

Shame because there is obviously a great game there if they would just let me use a fucking controller. It's more than a shame, it's downright frustrating.

Hiltz

I finished the
boss rush mode
to get the optional
Hylian Shield.
Does this item carry over if you start a brand new file or is it only for
Hero Mode
?

Mistle

The unreliability and intrusiveness of the motion controls are out of control. I'm somewhere in the first temple and I've had enough. I'll give it one more go tomorrow and then most likely it's ebay bound. I can say this without any hyperbole at all: disappointment of the generation for me.

Shame because there is obviously a great game there if they would just let me use a fucking controller. It's more than a shame, it's downright frustrating.
Are you sure your M+ is functioning correctly? Otherwise, you must just really, really suck at motion controls. Did you ever manage to even fly above the clouds without extreme trouble? lol

IrishNinja

It's a camera issue. I encountered this in one specific place in the game. In Skyloft, when you have to climb up the boxes to get to the platform, and then jump across the platform to get to the headmaster. Every single time you climb up the boxes to the platform, the way the camera centers is non-optimal for jumping across. If you just run straight trying to gauge the jump from this camera angle, 4 out of 5 times you will end up jumping off the ledge back down instead. But if you stop after climbing up, align yourself right, and then manually re-center the camera, you'll make the jump 100% of the time.

There are some other areas in the game which are like this too. Basically the auto-tracking camera isn't as robust as it should be when it comes to handling the level design sometimes. Get used to mashing the manual camera center button and I found that it improves the jump reliability by a ton.

exactly. there's just certain jumps you get boned on, and even when it doesn't take a heart, it's frustrating - im in the habit of jamming on z or whatever it is that does that, so 90% of the time now it's a non-issue.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OOOOHHHHHHHH

Now THIS is more like it! Can't believe what a BIG difference this little things do for *my* (mileage may wary) enjoyment of the game:

instant text
removed notifications for first time collectibles pick-ups
Removed Fi's health warnings
Removed Fi's shield warnings
Removed Fi's calling beeping
Removed low-health beeping and purple screen

Didn't need to use Accio or any other program like Garcia suggested, CFG Loader itself just takes care of everything in 2 seconds:
point at the game and press 1 (game options)> scroll down to enable Ocarina (yes)> scroll further to Manage Codes>download .txt>select cheats>save as .gct

I like the sword motion controls but my M+ (wish I had a Remote Plus but I have 4 remotes already and I'm not convinced yet of what we'll see fit for WiiU to invest in a fifth remote), so I might try the Motion Controls Sensitivity
Modifier code since (especially) the forward-thrust strike needs too much power for my tastes, maybe my M+ is a bit finicky. Anyone tried messing with those settings?
Whoa whoa whoa, what's this about? Is it possible to use this with an actual Wii?

Red

Ok so. I'm gonna go right ahead and say that this game has the absolute worst minigame ever in a Zelda game. Absolutely terrible, and it exemplifies most of the things wrong with this game in such a short time too.

The ring game. Make no mistake, I have no trouble controlling Link as he falls, and can nail all five rings pretty much every time, but getting in that spinning 50 spot is like pulling teeth. To top it all off it's a massive money drain. And then, insult added to injury, every time I go to try again I have to go through ridiculously slow text of him taunting me for my failure and then blabbing about the game while my TV makes this YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY soundbite at me.

Ugh.
I landed on the gray space, and an inch away from the winning one, about 15 times before finally making it.

zigg

I like the sword motion controls but my M+ (wish I had a Remote Plus but I have 4 remotes already and I'm not convinced yet of what we'll see fit for WiiU to invest in a fifth remote)
Just noticed this. I vastly prefer my old-school Remote with M+ add-on for this game. R+ just seems too small and light. Maybe it's my huge hands... :lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yup, you just need homebrew and to have ripped the game from your disc to a hard-drive.

Pretty sure you can do this without ripping the games to a hard drive. Just boot it with Gecko OS and maybe Riivolution (I've only used this to change Brawl music and NSMBW levels)

Himself

Question: I took my wooden shield to get repaired, took off, and when I got to an enemy notice I didn't have it equipped. So I checked my inventory and it's in there, but I can't figure out how to equip it. What do I do? I'm in dungeon and kind of really could use it.

StevieP

Banned
Question: I took my wooden shield to get repaired, took off, and when I got to an enemy notice I didn't have it equipped. So I checked my inventory and it's in there, but I can't figure out how to equip it. What do I do? I'm in dungeon and kind of really could use it.

Point-and-click (minus button I believe)

Scarecrow

I am just not getting this combat. What am I doing wrong? I feel like I have to 'button mash' against these red moblin dudes. The only way to get in a hit is to swing wildly with abandon. I try swinging the sword in the direction he's not blocking, but he instantly changes stances. I'm about to enter the second dungeon and I want to get this straightened out before it gets to be too much of a problem.

I am just not getting this combat. What am I doing wrong? I feel like I have to 'button mash' against these red moblin dudes. The only way to get in a hit is to swing wildly with abandon. I try swinging the sword in the direction he's not blocking, but he instantly changes stances. I'm about to enter the second dungeon and I want to get this straightened out before it gets to be too much of a problem.

Shield parry is the best way to deal with them. You can also hack away if you sneak up on them before they have a chance to ready their weapon.

Neki

They have very drawn out attack patterns, you can attack them when they're about to hit you

or

you can spam skyward strike (which is what I did, LOL)

or

spam the spin slash and hope for the best

or

joe mentioned, shield parrying is almost always the way to go.

Himself

I just wait for an opening and then hit him with some side swipes. If you have a shield, waggle your left hand to block just as he's striking. If there is a group of them do the spin attack thing. That's what's been working for me.

Now if only I could get the Wiimote to consistently respond to my straight stabs for trying to hit those spinning spiders...I've gotten hit by those things way more than I should because of my jab being read as a swipe.

Top Bottom