• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

illadelph

Silent Realms are awesome and a nice change in gameplay IMO. Shit gets insane when everything starts coming after you, I almost crapped my pants a few times.

Shiggy

I think I know what bores me in this game. It's the backtracking, the dungeons, and the mining facility because of the lack of decent colours. I'm fine with the mechanics and everything but I'd prefer some more action :D

Thrakier

I think I know what bores me in this game. It's the backtracking, the dungeons, and the mining facility because of the lack of decent colours. I'm fine with the mechanics and everything but I'd prefer some more action :D

It' just so tedious because you basically always now what will happen. There is no surprising element to the game, to the story, to the stuff you need to do. It's also fairly basic and simple gameplay wise. Also it's as slow as it can be.

Best thing is the sprint button. Just imagine the game without a sprint button for a sec. Woah.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

The backtracking hasn't bothered me yet until I hit the
Fire Sancturary.
. This dungeon has been a bitch to get through.

Siaynoqq

Looking back, I think what is so special about this game is how it adds so much new flavor to the series without losing the centra core design of Zelda.

I was worried after Twilight Princess (which I actually really enjoyed) that the series was going to start becoming a bit stale. On the other hand, I was thinking if it did get revamped, it would maybe not feel like Zelda anymore. I think Skyward Sword did a great job adding new elements without sacrificing that classic Zelda feel.

I still have no idea which Zelda game I consider the best, but this is definitely among them.

Hobbun

I've played about 5 1/2 hours now and I believe I'm about to enter the
Skyview Temple

I will say I am loving the game so far. And one of my worries of the game, which enough have had issues with, and that's the motion controls. They have worked wonderfully so far. Yes, there have been a few times I've slashed diagonally or thrusted when I've meant to slash horizontally, but almost always the controls have always done what I've wanted so far.

I really like how you look around now compared the other 3-D Zeldas. I've sometimes moved when I haven't wanted to, because I am still used to using the analog stick to look around, but I do like the option of being able to move while looking.

The dash option is great. Zelda has needed a run option for awhile now. Yes, you have a stamina meter, but I like it and I can usually find stamina fruits often where I don't have to stop all that often to regain stamina.

I love how you can run up walls now (with the dash option). I've always wanted that option where I could make higher jumps (to reach higher ledges) and now you can.

Now, a few things I haven't liked as much or have had some issues with:

-Tightrope walking sucks. I understand the rules of it, you keep the Wii Remote completely vertical and swing left and right to keep as straight as possible. But even with swinging left to right, many times I found myself still leaning to one side and falling off the rope. Thankfully you actually catch the rope and can pull yourself back up. If I fell off completely, I would be quite frustrated to say the least.

However, I think I am starting to get the hang of it now, I actually crossed an entire span of tightrope without falling the most recent trip. But, it is still more awkward than it needs to be.

-I don't like how you reuse tools. For example, with the slingshot, to bring it out you equip it and it goes to the 'B' button, which is fine. But if I want to stop targetting something, I need to actually put it away and then to use it again, I need to reopen the item 'wheel' and equip it again. I would just like to be able to get out of the targetting scope and then hit 'B' again to bring up the target circle again (not go to the 'wheel' and re-equip it again).

But maybe that's just something I need to get used to and my want is a carry over from TP (as I just finished the game before this).

I can't really think of anything else that really stands out that I don't like at all. And both of these are small complaints compared to the enjoyment I've had for the game. Really loving it so far overall.

ASIS

-I don't like how you reuse tools. For example, with the slingshot, to bring it out you equip it and it goes to the 'B' button, which is fine. But if I want to stop targetting something, I need to actually put it away and then to use it again, I need to reopen the item 'wheel' and equip it again. I would just like to be able to get out of the targetting scope and then hit 'B' again to bring up the target circle again (not go to the 'wheel' and re-equip it again).

Could you please elaborate more on this? If I'm understanding correctly, your issue here is very easily solved. Whenever you are using an item and you want to un-equip it, just press A. if you want to use that item again, press B (just a tap would do). The only reason you'd want to bring up the wheel is if you want to switch items, that's it.

...Why did Beedle just kick me out of his shop? It's not as if that's the first time I leave without buying anything >.>

How many extra pouches does he have btw, 3?

-Tightrope walking sucks. I understand the rules of it, you keep the Wii Remote completely vertical and swing left and right to keep as straight as possible. But even with swinging left to right, many times I found myself still leaning to one side and falling off the rope. Thankfully you actually catch the rope and can pull yourself back up. If I fell off completely, I would be quite frustrated to say the least.

However, I think I am starting to get the hang of it now, I actually crossed an entire span of tightrope without falling the most recent trip. But, it is still more awkward than it needs to be.

Just keep moving the control, kinda like a metronome, even if you're not losing your balance. You'll never fall that way.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Ok, so....

Got all 3 flame powerups and ended up back at the Sealed Temple again. I totally HATED fighting that piece of crap with all the teeth again, and then having to bomb him too when he starts climbing. Just a tedious battle all around...is there a secret to taking him out faster?

Now that ive gone to the past and had that cut scene with Zelda i know im gonna have to fight that pain in the a$$ a 3RD TIME!!!! UGH.......

I now have to go to Skyloft for clues on how to find the Triforce? How much game is actually left at this point?

ASIS

Ok, so....

Got all 3 flame powerups and ended up back at the Sealed Temple again. I totally HATED fighting that piece of crap with all the teeth again, and then having to bomb him too when he starts climbing. Just a tedious battle all around...is there a secret to taking him out faster?

Now that ive gone to the past and had that cut scene with Zelda i know im gonna have to fight that pain in the a$$ a 3RD TIME!!!! UGH.......

I now have to go to Skyloft for clues on how to find the Triforce? How much game is actually left at this point?

If you are clipping his toes, you are doing it the tedious way, paralyze him with a bomb, and jump on his head, done.

You are in the final arc now, not much left.

I find if you move the remote left and right as you take each step you maintain perfect balance. I hope I'm explaining that clearly.

Hobbun

Could you please elaborate more on this? If I'm understanding correctly, your issue here is very easily solved. Whenever you are using an item and you want to un-equip it, just press A. if you want to use that item again, press B (just a tap would do). The only reason you'd want to bring up the wheel is if you want to switch items, that's it.

Ok, well I've only attained the slingshot so far, so maybe I won't run into the same issue with future tools/items as I've had with the slingshot.

But hopefully to explain it a little better, for me to get rid of the targeting circle, it seems the only way I can do so is to hit 'B'. Hitting the 'A' button only shoots another pellet. The screen says to 'Put away' hit 'B'. However, if I do that, the only way to bring up the targeting circle again (to shoot) is to hit 'B' again, which in turn brings up the 'wheel' to equip the slingshot. Which I can do, it re-equips the slingshot and in turn will bring up the targeting circle. However, I just want to be able to hit 'B' (or whatever button would be required) to bring up the targeting circle again. I hope that was more clear.

And thanks SolarKnight and VistraNorrez, I have been tilting the remote left and right (while the remote is vertical) as I walk. I think I just need to get more of a hang of it, as I said I did pretty well the last time I tightrope walked.

Edit: Nevermind, figured out how to get out of targeting without going to the wheel. I was pressing 'B' down too long, which is why it kept taking me to the wheel. If you do just a quick tap of 'B', it gets you out of the targeting. Thanks though!

ASIS

Ok, well I've only attained the slingshot so far, so maybe I won't run into the same issue with future tools/items as I've had with the slingshot.

But hopefully to explain it a little better, for me to get rid of the targeting circle, it seems the only way I can do so is to hit 'B'. Hitting the 'A' button only shoots another pellet. The screen says to 'Put away' hit 'B'. However, if I do that, the only way to bring up the targeting circle again (to shoot) is to hit 'B' again, which in turn brings up the 'wheel' to equip the slingshot. Which I can do, it re-equips the slingshot and in turn will bring up the targeting circle. However, I just want to be able to hit 'B' (or whatever button would be required) to bring up the targeting circle again. I hope that was more clear.

And thanks SolarKnight and VistraNorrez, I have been tilting the remote left and right (while the remote is vertical) as I walk. I think I just need to get more of a hang of it, as I said I did pretty well the last time I tightrope walked.

Yeah sorry my mistake, I switched up the buttons in my mind :p. But yeah as i've said, when you want to equip,un-equip, or re-equip the same item, just tap B. Holding it a little longer will bring out the wheel, but a small tap is enough to bring out the item if it's already displayed on your top right corner (which I assume it is since you only have the slingshot now).

Give it a try, if it doesn't work then I'll try to search for a video for better explanation.

illadelph

Just finished Dungeon #5, and I thought that it was very well done.
The pirate ship was cool, it was a nice change from most dungeons that seem like giant labyrinths. The use of the arrows/time crystals was genius and both the mid-boss (robot pirate!) and the giant squid were fun.

Hobbun

Yeah sorry my mistake, I switched up the buttons in my mind :p. But yeah as i've said, when you want to equip,un-equip, or re-equip the same item, just tap B. Holding it a little longer will bring out the wheel, but a small tap is enough to bring out the item if it's already displayed on your top right corner (which I assume it is since you only have the slingshot now).

Give it a try, if it doesn't work then I'll try to search for a video for better explanation.

No need for video, as I said, I was able to figure out all I needed was to tap the 'B' button. It has worked just fine since then. But thanks anyways. :)

Oh, and have also gotten tightroping down pretty well, also. So my two main negatives of the game have been eliminated.

I actually just picked up the
beetle
now.
Stalfos
was a pain! I got all the way to the last room before the end of the dungeon but warped out as I used all my potions and my shield was about ready to break. Will finish up the dungeon tomorrow. Love the game so far!

Hook Beetle + Bombs = fun fun FUN. I can barely contain my urge to just scream DEATH FROM ABOVE every time XD

Seriously, when it was first revealed I didn't think much of the beetle, but now I easily consider it one of the most fun Zelda items ever.

Hook Beetle + Bombs = fun fun FUN. I can barely contain my urge to just scream DEATH FROM ABOVE every time XD

Seriously, when it was first revealed I didn't think much of the beetle, but now I easily consider it one of the most fun Zelda items ever.

The Beetle is godly, especially when carrying bombs. I also went to the 'death from above!' line. Good stuff.

big_z

how do you reset the wiimote after you get fi? at the start you just tap dpad down whenever but she takes over that button and always pops out when i want to fix my aim.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
how do you reset the wiimote after you get fi? at the start you just tap dpad down whenever but she takes over that button and always pops out when i want to fix my aim.

press the plus button i think to open your inventory, then you can re centre there : )

gaming_noob

Someone in this thread told me there's a haunted house theme similar to Majora's Mask where you had to collect skulltula coins. I'm collecting the music notes in Farora forest (when it's flooded) and I STILL haven't seen this haunted house yet. did someone lie to me?

ASIS

Someone in this thread told me there's a haunted house theme similar to Majora's Mask where you had to collect skulltula coins. I'm collecting the music notes in Farora forest (when it's flooded) and I STILL haven't seen this haunted house yet. did someone lie to me?

there's nothing like the skulltula houses in this game. Not thematically or gameplay-wise

Mistle

They possibly could have been referring to Batreaux?

Thrakier

Looking back, I think what is so special about this game is how it adds so much new flavor to the series without losing the centra core design of Zelda.

I was worried after Twilight Princess (which I actually really enjoyed) that the series was going to start becoming a bit stale. On the other hand, I was thinking if it did get revamped, it would maybe not feel like Zelda anymore. I think Skyward Sword did a great job adding new elements without sacrificing that classic Zelda feel.

I still have no idea which Zelda game I consider the best, but this is definitely among them.

That's so weird. I think SS is as stale as it's could be. It's a motion control knock off of every zelda game before it.

Crucio

WHY DID I ACCEPT TO OVERWRITE MY SAVE WITH GODDAMN HEROIC MODE

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ME

;_;
That really sucks but don't feel bad you're not alone.

Personally I thought that it was npot explained well, so I actually checked online before I made the decision. I copied my file and such.
I didn't even know about Hero mode until I finished the game.

Chuckpebble

I keep having a muscle memory issue where I think I'm playing Monster Hunter and Z is sprint. Tends to get me in trouble at spots but I'm slowly fixing my brain. Anyway, that got me thinking. This game could've been done without WM+.

Z Sprint.
A to attack.
C to center the camera.
D-pad up for first person.
Then its just like using SnS in Tri.

Twist 45-90 deg. in each direction for diagonal and horizontal slashes from each side.
Point remote up for SS charge.
Tilt up 45 for overhead slice.
Hold remote level for stab.
Point remote down 45 for upward slash.
Pressing A starts an attack from the angle your twisted in and doing a two press combo causes a return slash in the opposite direction of the original.
Keep shaking for the spin moves.
Bring back IR pointing.

Heck, the same thing could easily be done with a right analog stick too, right?

I'm not complaining. I do have fun with the controls as they are. Its just that I really love having control options. Especially because they could easily help me with the little issue I'm having right now.

ASIS

It's possible, but again, D-pad can practically do whatever analogue sticks do. Just not as smoothly. It's the same case here. The control scheme you showed works, but it's just not very logical to use IMO.

mattoz85

Oh shit, did I just break my game?

Late-game spoilers:

I've upgraded my sword
all three times and defeated the giant whale thing,
who then told me to find
the dragons.
I went to Lanayru first,
because that's the only place I remember reading/hearing anything about a dragon.
Then it seemed like I couldn't progress in the other areas, so I looked at some walkthroughs and saw a bunch of warnings about a game-breaking glitch/bug if you go to Lanayru first. Um, what?

This is a Nintendo game! There shouldn't be bugs! I've already put like 35 hours in this game, there's no way I'm starting over. Do they patch their games at all? Ugh, after being unable to get the last 2 achievements in Skyrim due to bugged quests, I thought a Nintendo game of all things would be the least broken game to play. What can I do?

ASIS

Late-game spoilers:

I've upgraded my sword
who then told me to find
the dragons.
I went to Lanayru first,
because that's the only place I remember reading/hearing anything about a dragon.
Then it seemed like I couldn't progress in the other areas, so I looked at some walkthroughs and saw a bunch of warnings about a game-breaking glitch/bug if you go to Lanayru first. Um, what?

This is a Nintendo game! There shouldn't be bugs! I've already put like 35 hours in this game, there's no way I'm starting over. Do they patch their games at all? Ugh, after being unable to get the last 2 achievements in Skyrim due to bugged quests, I thought a Nintendo game of all things would be the least broken game to play. What can I do?

If you talked to the goron there, then yeah you encountered the bug.

Go to the Shop channel, download the SS channel, and continue playing

Shiggy

Late-game spoilers:

I've upgraded my sword
who then told me to find
the dragons.
I went to Lanayru first,

If that's the bug which was patched, don't worry and just download the save file repair channel.

I'm in dungeon 4 now and battling the final boss in that dungeon. Do only I think that it was much better than dungeon 3 with its sandy area.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
12 hours in and at the desert/time manipulation dungeon. I'm absolutely loving this game. There's something very magical about it.

Thrakier

You're working real head to spread your message huh? We get it, you don't like the game.

No no no, don't start this shit. I'm not a troll. This thread is about discussing the game and that's what I do.

@Nintendo4Life

I think I used the wrong word. More like a Zelda "branch", the "motion contrl branch". Other than the motion control it's just your regular Zelda.

Shiggy

Yes, this was the fix. Thanks a lot! Though how would I know to go to the shop channel and download the "patch" if I hadn't gone online?

I was really surprised to see that it was already available. I only knew it was online in Japan, but hadn't heard anything concerning a solution for European users... pretty stupid that they don't inform their customers...

So I love how Nintendo is addressing the ethics of trapping fairies in bottles, in Wind Waker they have a sad face and now in SS they keep banging against the bottle, trying to escape.

Fuck Skulltallas.

Someone tell me how to kill them when they get flipped around.

If you're Z-targeting, it should prompt you to do a finishing blow. Just a downward stab. It was never a problem for me.

Chuckpebble

It's possible, but again, D-pad can practically do whatever analogue sticks do. Just not as smoothly. It's the same case here. The control scheme you showed works, but it's just not very logical to use IMO.

I used the d-pad for the camera in Tri. Worked fine for me. I imagine it would be way smoother than the, try and face where you wanna look, press Z, OK try again, press Z again, process.

I'm at the third dungeon, tell me, do the other cardinals on the d-pad ever get used? Because that's a missed opportunity for some much needed camera control in my opinion if not.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I used the d-pad for the camera in Tri. Worked fine for me. I imagine it would be way smoother than the, try and face where you wanna look, press Z, OK try again, press Z again, process.

I'm at the third dungeon, tell me, do the other cardinals on the d-pad ever get used? Because that's a missed opportunity for some much needed camera control in my opinion if not.

Nope. It's always just to summon fi.

Formless

I'm pretty far into the game and I don't really see much wrong with it besides minor issues, mostly UI related.

No issues with controls except for precision flying..

What the heck...

3 fights with that Imprisoned asswipe? And each one more irritating than the last. Good Lord i hope there's no more!!!!

I've only done the first two. I tried doing the second the same way as the first and failed horribly. Then I watched a youtube video and the guy blew himself to the upper levels and climbed onto his head and whacked the thingy in, using bombs to stun him when necessary. Maybe that would work for the third one as well.

maharg

idspispopd
I've only done the first two. I tried doing the second the same way as the first and failed horribly. Then I watched a youtube video and the guy blew himself to the upper levels and climbed onto his head and whacked the thingy in, using bombs to stun him when necessary. Maybe that would work for the third one as well.

You can do it that way the first time as well. I actually find it kind of hilarious people do this the hard way at all.

Crucio

You can do it that way the first time as well. I actually find it kind of hilarious people do this the hard way at all.

Yeah when I fought the Imprisoned's first form I instinctivly went for his head. I didn't even realise one could hit his toes.

Top Bottom