• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Did they finally update/fix Link's movement (IE: Walking, running) in Skyward Sword?
Going through TP right now and it's one of those things they still haven't really made "smooth" and inline with modern titles. Link always barely walks or runs and the analog has a rather large deadzone. the light to non-existant resistance on the 3DS slide-pad mitigates this for Ocarina of Time3D.

Anyone else know what i'm talking about? Thanks

Also, is there camera control this time around?

zoukka

AgentOtaku said:
Did they finally update/fix Link's movement (IE: Walking, running) in Skyward Sword?
Going through TP right now and it's one of those things they still haven't really made "smooth" and inline with modern titles. Link always barely walks or runs and the analog has a rather large deadzone. the light to non-existant resistance on the 3DS slide-pad mitigates this for Ocarina of Time3D.

Anyone else know what i'm talking about? Thanks

Also, is there camera control this time around?

No.

No.

SYNTAX182

The Lamp said:
People managed to turn it off in the demo, so I was wondering if it was possible in the full game.

I know, don't take it to heart. I just have really harsh sarcasm. =)

As for your question I have no idea.

Kard8p3

AgentOtaku said:
wow, WTF, i'm sorry but it's fucking 2012. I can handle the shitty movement but no camera control AT ALL!?

Actually it's 2011 but nope no camera control. I didn't really expect it but they could've at least used right and left on the d-pad for some kind of basic camera control.

Kard8p3 said:
Actually it's 2011 but nope no camera control. I didn't really expect it but they could've at least used right and left on the d-pad for some kind of basic camera control.

Yeah, I was at least hoping for this

Jesus

I don't care if your camera system is designed to be good enough without user input. People still like to look at shit from time to time on their own terms.

Jzero15 said:
The future still doesn't have camera control?! :eek:

lol lol

AgentOtaku said:
Yeah, I was at least hoping for this

Jesus

I don't care if your camera system is designed to be good enough without user input. People still like to look at shit from time to time on their own terms.
doesn't the C button accomplish this

or did you mean without it

ShockingAlberto said:
doesn't the C button accomplish this

or did you mean without it

recentering isn't the same thing as being able to slowly pan around your environment on a vertical or horizontal axis. Only being able to see from behind Link most of the time, honestly does a disservice to the artists/designers and their efforts. Your essentially locked in this FOV and for me, it always made the worlds feel smaller.

I dunno, i've always been a big nut with camera control. Being able to frame the action how I want is a big deal and hate it when games don't allow it optimally or even at all.

Kard8p3

AgentOtaku said:
recentering isn't the same thing as being able to slowly pan around your environment on a vertical or horizontal axis. Only being able to see from behind Link most of the time, honestly does a disservice to the artists/designers and their efforts. Your essentially locked in this FOV and for me, it always made the worlds feel smaller.

I dunno, i've always been a big nut with camera control. Being able to frame the action how I want is a big deal and hate it when games don't allow it optimally or even at all.

Well at least for moments where you just want to take in the environment you can walk around in first person.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Laughing Banana said:
Really, one of the the most BAFFLING things in Zelda games is how Nintendo seem to insist that a jump button is a bad idea.

I really dislike auto-jump, and inclusion of a jump button can lead to a greater freedom/precision in platforming which I reckon can do adventuring in Zelda a lot of wonders.

It was a great addition in Darksiders

Kard8p3 said:
Well at least for moments where you just want to take in the environment you can walk around in first person.

Yeah I know the series has had this for quit a bit, but it's a series designed around being in 3rd person ...on a SD system no less. Looking around in 1st person tends to put things at a disadvantage from a visual standpoint IE: these games aren't as pretty when Link isn't in the shot!

Kard8p3

AgentOtaku said:
Yeah I know the series has had this for quit a bit, but it's a series designed around being in 3rd person ...on a SD system no less. Looking around in 1st person tends to put things at a disadvantage from a visual standpoint IE: these games aren't as pretty when Link isn't in the shot!

Yeah I just think it's cool they let you walk around in first person now. As far as I know that wasn't in past games. I'd like to mess with the camera like I did in Wind Waker but that just wont happen till the WiiU so for now I'll have to settle for no camera control or first person.

Mzo

Kard8p3 said:
I'd like to mess with the camera like I did in Wind Waker but that just wont happen till the WiiU so for now I'll have to settle for no camera control or first person.
The real version of Twilight Princess also had camera controls.

zoukka

Actually the first person movement offers a lot more in regards of gazing the views, just saying.

But I have to say I loved the camera in Windu Wanka.

AdamBot

BY2K said:
R1OSt.png

Countdown to SKYWARGEDDON.

Gregorn

So I think I'll be getting this game today. I'm not expecting to enjoy it more than I'm currently enjoying Skyrim, but hopefully I'm wrong.

v1oz

Laughing Banana said:
Really, one of the the most BAFFLING things in Zelda games is how Nintendo seem to insist that a jump button is a bad idea.

I really dislike auto-jump, and inclusion of a jump button can lead to a greater freedom/precision in platforming which I reckon can do adventuring in Zelda a lot of wonders.
Never had a problem with jumping in OOT or TP. Auto jumping actually takes out all the challenge of platforming me thinks. Makes it too easy.

Maybe its because you don't have control of the camera this time around?

AgentOtaku said:
wow, WTF, i'm sorry but it's fucking 2011. I can handle the shitty movement but no camera control AT ALL!?

What's wrong with the movement in 3D Zelda? I'd say it's better than just about any other 3rd person action game. I'm talking Arkham City, Uncharted, Dark Souls etc.

F#A#Oo said:
How do I get rid of the black bars? :(
Some of the following might help:
-(assuming EU Wii), set to 60Hz (480i)
-Wii set to 16:9 if playing on 16:9 TV (we found in the Xenoblade thread lots of people forgot this step*)
-If playing on 16:10 TV (lots of earler/cheaper HDTVs are this ratio) you're going to have black bars top and bottom due to the aspect ratio.

*-I'm wondering if like Xenoblade the game is 16:9 only (Skyward Swords HUD back in E3 '10 looked like it could not work in 4:3).

Kard8p3

Starwolf_UK said:
*-I'm wondering if like Xenoblade the game is 16:9 only (Skyward Swords HUD back in E3 '10 looked like it could not work in 4:3).

I'll be playing it on an SDTV so I'd like to know this too.

It's rarely that I ever stop while playing a 3D Zelda and think, hmm I wish I could jump via a button.

On the other hand the devs have an extra botton to use with auto-jumping not being mapped to any buttons.

I dunno, perhaps some extra fun platforming and jumping puzzles could be added if jumping was mapped to a button. But I think auto-jump suffice as it is now.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Yeah I have my Wii set-up 16:9 but still get bars...you hurt my feelings with cheap tv comment. It cost me a lot in 2007... :(

F#A#Oo

Banned
Oh shit bars gone...my TV is not shit...or cheap.

Thanks btw...lol

Edit: bars come up during cut scenes...I guess to be more cinematic or something...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
"not yet issued by supplier"

Really HMV? The day before release and you haven't got it from the supplier yet. That parcel better be here by tomorrow.

G.O.O.

Got it yesterday.

First impressions : I feel some influence from final fantasy (ugh) Avatar (UGH) and Portal (yay).

Also, I thought there was a way to clean the HUD ? The wiimote is bothering me to no end.

oatmeal

Banned
G.O.O, after the first couple of hours you can remove it (Press 1 and you can change it in there).

I finally got back over to my friends house and put in like 5 hours today (up to 20).

He's finished it, but I told him not to say anything.

The game is really frustrating. So many bullshit 'side quests' for everything.

Without spoiling anything and making up my own story path...

My mom goes "oatmeal, go to the store and buy some milk."

So I go outside, short cutscene showing outside (the road, the lawn, etc.) and then right when I'm about to take a step, a fucking blue woman pops out of nowhere and starts giving me facts about the probability of the grocery store having milk. She's slow and annoying.

Finally, I am able to walk.

I walk to the grocery store but the door is locked. A homeless man beside it says that he will only open it if I give him 5 cans, so he can catch a bus. So I go around and scrounge up some cans and bring them back. He opens the door for me and I'm allowed in.

Blue girl pops out, more stupid information that I don't want.

Finally I go in and am about to grab the milk when it turns out the cows haven't actually been producing, so I need to head down and milk them by hand into a bucket and carry that home.

And I finally have my milk.

I don't remember anything in this game that was just A to B. Some sort of favor or something always has to come up. It's brutal.

Also, the game needs to cut it out with the hints...for example:

The windmill puzzle in Skyloft. Great puzzle, I actually accidentally moved the one by the Academy to the right spot just fucking around. Cool...so I go to the headmaster and talk to him and he tells me a rumor he heard about windmills facing the tower.

Cool.

And hten he goes on and on about EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE TO DO!!! So annoying, just let me figure it out!

I'm really having a love/hate with this game sometimes. When it's exploration and dungeons, it's amazing. But there's so many stupid things in between that serve to annoy.

Oh, finally did my first tears sequence. It was actually kind of fun, much better than the PH stuff. Music was suitably creepy...and my God, when you're being chased. Terrifying.

krumble

Ordered Special Edition yesterday afternoon from Game.co.uk
Arrived on my desk this morning - can't wait to get home now!!!!

G.O.O.

oatmeal said:
G.O.O, after the first couple of hours you can remove it (Press 1 and you can change it in there).
Good then.

Also, you're right, some people in this game really need to shut up.

MEATER

oatmeal said:
Blue girl pops out, more stupid information that I don't want.

This sums it up perfectly! All you wrote is just spot on! How come no reviewer mentioned that? Or did I just read the wrong reviews?

I really had to force me to keep playing through the first two hours of the game and then just gave up and went back to Skyrim.

Disappointment of the year!

I just want to shoot whoever decided that every stupid NPC had to annoy you with at least 5 textboxes full of worthless information.

If you're 8 years old and this is your first Zelda you might enjoy it, but I can't see anyone over 20 not getting annoyed by all the text the game throws at you.

AgentOtaku said:
wow, WTF, i'm sorry but it's fucking 2011. I can handle the shitty movement but no camera control AT ALL!?
Nintendo does a fantastic job managing the camera angles. Z targeting still works great so game playability is not impacted much.

czk

Typical COD gamer
oatmeal said:
perfect description of SS gameplay
You forgot the wall of text every time you pick up a gem, a bug, a skull, a claw, a butterfly, a ladybird, an ore, a bubble etc. Every. Single. Fucking! Time. And there are tons of this shit in SS. It drives me nuts, just like this blue chick :(

Also: red rupees in treasure chests. Seriously, who the ffffuuu would want to hide them in treasure chests? I could bang my head into two trees and aquire as much.

The situation is really sad because in it's core (when you slash away all the filler text and fetch quests) this game is really good.

Mistle

MEATER said:
I really had to force me to keep playing through the first two hours of the game and then just gave up and went back to Skyrim.

I just want to shoot whoever decided that every stupid NPC had to annoy you with at least 5 textboxes full of worthless information.

If you're 8 years old and this is your first Zelda you might enjoy it, but I can't see anyone over 20 not getting annoyed by all the text the game throws at you.
Generally Zelda games pick up after the initial 2 hours so it's worth going back to. Though I doubt you've really abandoned it.

And I can't speak for SS as I'm yet to play it, but NPCs actually having something to say is a plus for me. Some people may see it as intrusive but I see it as character building, livening up the world a little. I know many NPCs wont be actually fleshed out, but I like even the most minimal amount of character/story to them. Same goes with entire Zelda intro-sequences (first 2 hours or so). Sure, again I understand why some may not like it, but I enjoy getting familiar with the games setting before being thrown into a dungeon. I acknowledge that TP was a bit excessive in that regard but even then I don't loathe it like many others.

I don't see it so much as a hand-holding tutorial stage (even if it's designed to be one), I see it as a calm before the storm. You have to be introduced to the normal world first for proceeding disruptive events to hold any impact.

czk said:
You forgot the wall of text every time you pick up a gem, a bug, a skull, a claw, a butterfly, a ladybird, an ore, a bubble etc. Every. Single. Fucking! Time
This IS ridiculous though, and I can't believe after TP's rupee problem that it still exists in SS in another form.

dwu8991

Banned
MEATER said:
This sums it up perfectly! All you wrote is just spot on! How come no reviewer mentioned that? Or did I just read the wrong reviews?

Skyrim probably isn't a game for everyone compared to Zelda.

Top Bottom