• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings Online |OT| F2P lets everyone simply walk into Mordor

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Just gotta retry. Queue's and lag are fine now, but the login servers are acting funky. If you can get through, you're golden.

Zakkath

I started a Dwarf Champion last night on Brandywine. Name is Greywarrior. It literally took me an hour JUST to find a name. Every single name I was picking was already taken, even modifying it. That was crazy. Do they have a single database for all their servers ? Anyways, I'll be trying this on and off. First impressions, this is a lot more enjoyable than FF14.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Zakkath said:
I started a Dwarf Champion last night on Brandywine. Name is Greywarrior. It literally took me an hour JUST to find a name. Every single name I was picking was already taken, even modifying it. That was crazy. Do they have a single database for all their servers ? Anyways, I'll be trying this on and off. First impressions, this is a lot more enjoyable than FF14.
No, names are on a per server basis. Your problem is that Brandywine is basically the most popular server on LOTRO.

nataku

Started a Hobbit Minstrel named Veplerion in addition to my Human Warden Veladyncia.

I did have a Dward Minstrel, but a hobbit just seems to fit better.

d0c_zaius

Spire said:
Just gotta retry. Queue's and lag are fine now, but the login servers are acting funky. If you can get through, you're golden.

No, it's not that simple. Relogging over and over doesnt do anything as its a problem on their end. Apparently a bunch of people are having the issue but there hasnt been an official response to it yet.

ACE 1991 said:
I've never understood why people count this kind of thing as a plus. Why make an MMO then? (Not attacking you in anyway, I'm honestly curious)

Can't speak for others, but I don't have the time to commit huge organized raids/leveling/etc. I want to enjoy the game, and it's story at my pace and on my own, while still getting the social aspect and connecting with other players.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Reluctant-Hero said:
Can't speak for others, but I don't have the time to commit huge organized raids/leveling/etc. I want to enjoy the game, and it's story at my pace and on my own, while still getting the social aspect and connecting with other players.

Yeah, I'm the same way.
I still like being able to trade with other players, and maybe group If I have time, but I still prefer to solo most of the time.

I'm hoping FF14 goes this route too, with the story quests at least having a solo option.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
It's worth noting that Lotro has probably *never* had this many people trying to connect. Maybe right at launch... but even then the game wasn't open to everyone.

So everyone should be sure to be patient. Turbine will be very fast about opening new servers if they need to, and plus a good chunk of people will lose interest after a week or so.

Teknoman

Suikoguy said:
Yeah, I'm the same way.
I still like being able to trade with other players, and maybe group If I have time, but I still prefer to solo most of the time.

I'm hoping FF14 goes this route too, with the story quests at least having a solo option.

So far thats how the story quests (or at least the early ones) seem so far in XIV.

That being said, if I like this, I guess i'll attempt to play both LOTRO and XIV.

Teknoman said:
So far thats how the story quests (or at least the early ones) seem so far in XIV.

That being said, if I like this, I guess i'll attempt to play both LOTRO and XIV.

Are you not really bothering with XI any more?

GDGF

Soothsayer
I just saw a LOTRO Free to Play commercial on TBS during Family Guy.

They're probably gonna need a few more servers:lol

Dreavus

Tempted to try this out... especially since I still have an unopened copy of Mines of Moria from PAX last year!

I can still use that for something, right?

itschris

Dreavus said:
Tempted to try this out... especially since I still have an unopened copy of Mines of Moria from PAX last year!

I can still use that for something, right?

Yeah, if you register it to an account, you'll still get all of the Mines of Moria content (two new classes, new areas, higher level cap, etc) plus 30 days of VIP access.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Can you trade money for items between players when your Free to Play? I tried to unload 91 Planks of Treated Rowan Wood for 120 Silver and the dude tells me he can't trade money 'cause he's Free to Play. Seems like a silly restriction to impose. He then goes on to say that if I give him the wood he'll make me stuff so I can sell, I was like "Yeah, ok buddy, no thanks" :lol

W1SSY

Installing this on Crossover games for my Mac to give it a try. I am patching the game right now which is taking forever. This is all after having to download the full 9GB game to install. I hope this is worth it.

Teknoman

W1SSY said:
Installing this on Crossover games for my Mac to give it a try. I am patching the game right now which is taking forever. This is all after having to download the full 9GB game to install. I hope this is worth it.

:lol man I thought I just had to download the 10gb client...hopefully the patches wont hit too hard.

W1SSY

Teknoman said:
:lol man I thought I just had to download the 10gb client...hopefully the patches wont hit too hard.
I think for mine I wasn't able to download the newest client because for legal reasons they can't post what I needed so it has to download a lot of other things.

Severai (8 Warden) - Brandywine

Armai (4 Captain) - Brandywine

Lakun (3 Burg) - Brandywine

Sev's already in the GAF guild, great group of folks.

I've really enjoyed what I've played thus far, but I've been running on 2GB of RAM after diagnosing a bad stick earlier this week. Hopefully some of the hiccups I'm running into near max settings will iron themselves out when I get my new stick tomorrow. Was noticing some rubberbanding earlier, is this common?

Wallach

GDGF said:
I just saw a LOTRO Free to Play commercial on TBS during Family Guy.

They're probably gonna need a few more servers:lol

Yeah, remember that Turbine is owned by WB now, who is obviously part of Time Warner. They will have a lot more advertising power, combined with this F2P move and I could see them really doing well with this.

glaurung

Since the European F2P launch was delayed in a rather dick move, I resubscribed instead.

Then I felt kind of sad and decided to buy the special edition triple pack as well.

I now have a new main Ninus on Laurelin (English roleplaying server), he's a level 12 or 13 hunter and he now wears the most god-awful medium armor that any man can think of. It makes him look like either a Russian tank commander or an insane male ballet dancer.

Have some other alts on the back burner as well.

glaurung said:
Since the European F2P launch was delayed in a rather dick move, I resubscribed instead.

Then I felt kind of sad and decided to buy the special edition triple pack as well.

I now have a new main Ninus on Laurelin (English roleplaying server), he's a level 12 or 13 hunter and he now wears the most god-awful medium armor that any man can think of. It makes him look like either a Russian tank commander or an insane male ballet dancer.

Have some other alts on the back burner as well.

I'm doing the 14 day trial as I'm in the UK. What are the roleplaying servers like? Do people stay in character absolutely all the time?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Freyjadour said:
Was noticing some rubberbanding earlier, is this common?

This only happens when the servers are having problems, like they were earlier. They seem to have resolved the issue.

glaurung

Baloonatic said:
I'm doing the 14 day trial as I'm in the UK. What are the roleplaying servers like? Do people stay in character absolutely all the time?
The 14 day trial is actually gimped, you cannot do crafting and there are probably some other limitations as well.

As for the roleplaying bits: people do not take things too seriously. The RP servers do however have some hardcore RP guilds and some people do stay in character all the time. The good thing about the RP server is that people do not heckle the RP players.

So it's a lot like WoW in that aspect.

glaurung said:
The 14 day trial is actually gimped, you cannot do crafting and there are probably some other limitations as well.

As for the roleplaying bits: people do not take things too seriously. The RP servers do however have some hardcore RP guilds and some people do stay in character all the time. The good thing about the RP server is that people do not heckle the RP players.

So it's a lot like WoW in that aspect.

Yeah I thought it probably would be, just thought I'd try it until Codemasters get their shit together.

I might give roleplaying a go I guess, never really tried it before though.

These kind of games have a weird effect on me, so I'm not the best person to judge but I'm liking it so far.

The only thing that really grates on me are the animations but that must be because I spent so much time playing WoW.

I played this all weekind, leveled a Hobbit Guardian to 10 an Elven Hunter to 14. Would be cool to play with all you cats so shoot me an invite if you catch me online. I'm on Brandywine playing Elvil (Hunter) or Scavo (guardian).

I dont like some restrictions on f2p so I'd like to maybe upgrade but what should I do? Buy one or both expansions? Buy gamecard, set up subcription etc? What do you recommend?

Really liking the game, refreshment after pos ffxiv :p

ToddG15

Level 14 Captain (Arales) so far. Been playing with a buddy most of the time (Guardian) and been having a lot of fun so far, except for the lag/server issues, which will hopefully get fixed in the coming days.

The only real huge issue I've had was yesterday, when I was trying to put stuff into my vault (bank). I managed to get a few items in and then all of a sudden, all the items in my bags were gone. I logout, log back in and all my items are still gone and now all equipped items have vanished. I restart my computer, log in and still have no items shown. Decide to wait a little bit, log back in and then all my items were back. Since all my items returned, it wasn't game breaking or anything but seriously scared the crap out of me.

ACE 1991

VoteForPedro said:
These kind of games have a weird effect on me, so I'm not the best person to judge but I'm liking it so far.

The only thing that really grates on me are the animations but that must be because I spent so much time playing WoW.

I played this all weekind, leveled a Hobbit Guardian to 10 an Elven Hunter to 14. Would be cool to play with all you cats so shoot me an invite if you catch me online. I'm on Brandywine playing Elvil (Hunter) or Scavo (guardian).

Yup, this has been making me have weird reactions tho things :lol

grate

GDGF said:
legend166 - Yandy
GDGF - Dagrad
ACE 1991 - Funa
grate - Woodywilson

Added myself to the list. I'm going to be bouncing between this and FF14 as well.

Also, many thanks to Spire... you've been very helpful in game.

AndyD

aka andydumi
BlueTsunami said:
Can you trade money for items between players when your Free to Play? I tried to unload 91 Planks of Treated Rowan Wood for 120 Silver and the dude tells me he can't trade money 'cause he's Free to Play. Seems like a silly restriction to impose. He then goes on to say that if I give him the wood he'll make me stuff so I can sell, I was like "Yeah, ok buddy, no thanks" :lol

No you cannot trade money when f2p. Its a valid way to do it, to prevent gold farming and f2p spammers.

The only solution is using the auction house or subscribing.

That said, anyone know if there is an auctioneer style addon for lotro? I understand their lua openness is not as good as Wow's, or is that wrong?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Nolimit_SS said:
I dont like some restrictions on f2p so I'd like to maybe upgrade but what should I do? Buy one or both expansions? Buy gamecard, set up subcription etc? What do you recommend?

Really liking the game, refreshment after pos ffxiv :p

I bought the Mirkwood complete from turbine online store (not lotro store..very different). It looks like they're removed it now tho so either buy the moria complete retail product from amazon for 10bucks which gives 30days full then sub or buy them in the lotro store(which are overpriced i think).

I got the 3months for 30bucks subscription which works out to 4months with base game purchace I think thats the best way to go honesty. After 4 months You'll have 2000 lotro points to spend(500 a month free for subscribers) plus maybe another 500 points for ingame deeds completed.
if at that point you switch to ftp you can spend that 2500 points to unlock the worst things in ftp mode like limited bank and backpacks and ride skill ect.

Or just keep subbing and use lotro points towards purchase of mirkwood addon and the upcomming isengard addon(which is what i intend to do)

I'm very interested in this game now. Thinking of being a dwarf champion. Are the queues for Brandywine still a bitch, or should I join another server (I live in Austin, TX)? I don't have a mic at the moment, but would I be okay soloing the early parts?

I'd also like to add that I must be a free player for at least a month. If CLE (long story short, they're a college program that manages your money) catches any microtransactions my computer gets taken away. Is it a bad time to start an MMO or will I live?

gblues

Banned
I currently only have 2 characters: Naethyn (Human Hunter) and Traegdir (Elven Champion), both on elendilmir. I'll probably branch out to other servers, if for no other reason than to get the 10 TP from the store intro quest!

Top Bottom