• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings Online |OT| F2P lets everyone simply walk into Mordor

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Teknoman said:
What about Guardians? No matter what I do, I cant pull myself away from playing with some sort of sword and shield combo at some point :lol

I play a guardian so don't usually see others in the groups im in.
Seems most people that are looking for groups are either looking for a tank or a healer for their group.Where as for me when i'm trying to get agroup i'm always needing a healer class.
Seems every other class can fill the group out at this level with no issues.

At 36 there's only 4 different group situations.
1. Great Barrows dungeon
2.Garth Agarwen dungeon
3.Group Skirmishes
4.group quests

Guards are great for soloing quest and can do most 3man quests when they turn green solo due to survivability. I have 3 stances that affect how my class works
1. is the solo 2hd weapon dps mode,Overpowered this is the best solo quest mode. goes from weak dps to moderate.
2.Parry mode uses sword and shield and of the 2 S&S its ok dps and good Defence. I use this mode(its a toggle ability) for most group dungeons while fighting trash mobs.
3 Block mode uses S&S and its weak dps but great defense. I find this is the required mode for Boss encounters in group situations

now this may all change as I get new abilitys in the 40's and 50s but thats the break down at 36.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Daheza said:
Same problem with my friend, does anyone know a fix? This is really frustrating.

Originally Posted by webrunner:
Anyone having problems with this "Dynamic Layering" thing? My girlfriend and I were trying to play together in the Elf starting area, and we couldn't see each other.. eventually I found the Dynamic Layer button, but clicking it when she was party leader just gave me a load screen and dropped me back to the same layer I was in, and clicking it when I was the party leader predictably did nothing. The weird thing was that she didn't even have a dynamic layering button at all: it was as if to her client there were no dynamic layers at all, so we couldn't try her porting to me.

Why couldn't it work like DDO where it tells you the layer you're in and lets you switch?

ok my understanding of Dynamic layers is this.
If you want to ensure your in the same layer form a fellowship. then exit the area your in till dynamic layer icon disappears then return to it and youll go tot he one your fellowship is in.
its easy to make fellowship just get person to send you a tell and in the chat box right click on their name and invite to group

ToddG15

ElJuice said:
What do you guys set your Texture Cache Size to? I have 4 GB RAM and 512 on my GPU and have it set at .8 right now.
I don't think I changed that setting, so whatever was defaulted.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
While we're posting sexy screen shots:

1z2odbp.jpg

My Hobbit Minstrel, Cabenting.

Tideas

Banned
For everyone that's in the GAF kinship, we should have a spreadsheet somewhere that lists character's vocation . That way, I can know where to send random crafting items I get.

To keep track of making sure no body's hoarding everyone's elses craft, we'll go on a +/- system.

Every singular item you send to another guild mate, you get a +1. Every item you receive, you take away 1 point. This is gonna be an honor's system.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...mZRLWhZZGJrd19OQU9MU3c&hl=en&authkey=CImKtr4D

So as u can see, you give the vocation, and the materials you would like to be sent your way. You don't have to request for everything under your vocations, just what you would like.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Melhisedek said:
As it seems all classes are able to solo well it brings me to a few questions:

1. What classes are fun to play? Fun meaning interesting mechanics ie a lot of buttons to press :)

2. Is there some end game content? Do you need to be in a guild to see it all or?

3. If I get free client how much do I need to pay for the rest of the content (expansions)

4. Is there a PvP and how good is it? (As I understand you can only be good guys and they won't fight each other while threat from Mordor is loomig )

5. What kind of rig do I need for the higher quality client? Would this do?
E8400 @ 3.9
4 Gig RAM

1. when it come to having to do more than press one or two buttons in a fight, I'd say Burglar Or Loremaster. They always have a lot to do as they are debuffing classes and require some thought whenver they are fighting. Plus there never seems to be enough Loremasters.

2. There is some end game content. it has improved since the patch, it was pretty thin all year with very few options. Then they added enedwaith, level 65 pve area and instance scaling to make old instances worth doing again. It's tough to see all these things without a raiding kin. My kin has been raiding Helegrod daily since the patch went live.

3. I think it's 30 for moria and 25 for Mirkwood or something like that. buying either one won't matter until your are closing in on lvl 50.

4. There is PVMP, where you can assume the role of a monster (creep) or a good guy (freep) at max level. currently this is closed off to non-VIP's. They have said this may not be permanant and that there will be a revamp of PVMP soon. PVMP as it currently stands can be fun, but gets pretty stale from time to time. It is almost always unbalanced since population shifts a lot.

bloodydrake said:
I bought the Mirkwood complete from turbine online store (not lotro store..very different). It looks like they're removed it now tho so either buy the moria complete retail product from amazon for 10bucks which gives 30days full then sub or buy them in the lotro store(which are overpriced i think).

I got the 3months for 30bucks subscription which works out to 4months with base game purchace I think thats the best way to go honesty. After 4 months You'll have 2000 lotro points to spend(500 a month free for subscribers) plus maybe another 500 points for ingame deeds completed.
if at that point you switch to ftp you can spend that 2500 points to unlock the worst things in ftp mode like limited bank and backpacks and ride skill ect.

Or just keep subbing and use lotro points towards purchase of mirkwood addon and the upcomming isengard addon(which is what i intend to do)
Thanks, though my problem is - WoW. Cataclysm is coming out in November probably and I'll be going back(already got guild) so I can't really tie myself to LOTRO for many months(even though is very fun at the moment). I will probably play wow for few months and then GW2 will be out and then we'll have to see what happens.

So atm best thing to do would be just buy 1 expansion and get free month, and when I'm done cataclysm will be soon and it won't matter, yeah?

notworksafe

After playing this for a week or so I'm really into it. I'll be playing this on and off after Cataclysm comes out. It has a lot of things that WoW doesn't, and I like it for that.

And it's not just a free month, the game is free forever. I would buy the first expansion (game+xpac is $8 at Gamestop or Amazon) to get all the classes, however.

ToddG15

Tideas said:
For everyone that's in the GAF kinship, we should have a spreadsheet somewhere that lists character's vocation . That way, I can know where to send random crafting items I get.

To keep track of making sure no body's hoarding everyone's elses craft, we'll go on a +/- system.

Every singular item you send to another guild mate, you get a +1. Every item you receive, you take away 1 point. This is gonna be an honor's system.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...mZRLWhZZGJrd19OQU9MU3c&hl=en&authkey=CImKtr4D

So as u can see, you give the vocation, and the materials you would like to be sent your way. You don't have to request for everything under your vocations, just what you would like.
I may be missing something, as I've only used Google Docs a few times, but I can't modify any of the fields (view only). I tried to find an edit button or something similar, am I just overlooking it?

Why are the majority of guides for this paid? I want to understand the combat better because I've basically been button mashing 1, 2, and 3. I don't know what any of the notifications on the attack buttons are. What's the best free guide for this game?

notworksafe

Bought my first LotRO store item, and it's a wardrobe item! I got the Sage's Pack, because it just looked too funny. :lol It was a decent price as well.

demolitio

I just started my archer in the hopes of making Legolas jealous.

My name is Demolitio and I'm on Brandywine. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me out through some things as I'm not a huge MMO player and I had a "teacher" for Guild Wars. :lol

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I have a question about the F2P model.

I know that once you buy something you have it "forever," and once you access something as a VIP you also have it "forever." IE you can buy riding skill for free as a VIP, and you keep it if you downgrade.

My question is what do you LOSE when you downgrade? If you were a VIP but are no longer one, do you still have all quest packs? Can you go back and wrap up quests in zones you had started?

Tideas

Banned
I recommend for everyone in VIP status to max out their VIP character slots. I'm probably gonna create the rest of my class tonight

Tideas

Banned
GDJustin said:

I know that once you buy something you have it "forever," and once you access something as a VIP you also have it "forever." IE you can buy riding skill for free as a VIP, and you keep it if you downgrade.

My question is what do you LOSE when you downgrade? If you were a VIP but are no longer one, do you still have all quest packs? Can you go back and wrap up quests in zones you had started?

http://www.casualstrolltomordor.com/2010/08/vip-to-premium/

This is beta...but I think most still applies

AndyD

aka andydumi
GDJustin said:

Not everything you touch you keep forever. For example, in areas that are paid but you do not buy, whatever quests you have started, you may finish, but you cannot pick up any new ones after VIP expiration.

As to your other question, yes, you can keep riding for any character that earned it while VIP. That is why a lot of people are sgning up for VIP for 1 month, to get the "free" riding skill.

The OP has a link to the official forum where they have clearly broken down what happens when you dwngrade from VIP to premium, what you keep and what you lose.

notworksafe said:
After playing this for a week or so I'm really into it. I'll be playing this on and off after Cataclysm comes out. It has a lot of things that WoW doesn't, and I like it for that.

And it's not just a free month, the game is free forever. I would buy the first expansion (game+xpac is $8 at Gamestop or Amazon) to get all the classes, however.
Same, gonna buy expansion tomorrow :)

Spent a while on their forums reading what you gain and lose, sux you lose content but oh well, I'll be only playing for a month or so and I'll have it ready whenever I want to give up WoW, which is every few months :)

ag-my001

ChoklitReign said:
Why are the majority of guides for this paid? I want to understand the combat better because I've basically been button mashing 1, 2, and 3. I don't know what any of the notifications on the attack buttons are. What's the best free guide for this game?

What class do you play?

Tideas

Banned
Tideas said:

quoting myself for the GAF kinship

ag-my001

I've only got a level 6 champ as a mule myself, but it sounds like you're experiencing the Fervour system that Champs use. Basically, some attacks add to your Fervour pool, indicated by a meter near the combat indicator. Other attacks require Fervour to use. If you hover over the skill icons, the tooltip should tell you what kind of attack each skill is. Champions will usually develop rotations that are Fervour neutral or Fervor Positive to make sure they can always get their next attack off.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Any good interface mods? The default one is terrible and they really should have updated it.

Vestal

ChoklitReign said:
Champion. Why would the quickslot attacks be different?

Level?

Anyways the way that LOTRO works is through an ability Queue. As a champion particularly you have 2 base abilities to build up your Fervor which is then used with more powerful attacks. Basically if I were you, I would use the basic ability description to determine which are AOE and which are Single target. On my champ I primarly use those 2 rampup skils and then Vicious Strikes,(while questing/soloing) I will also sometimes use Flurry or the defensive one(cant remember the name right now) depending on the situation.

Remember to also check your deeds, since you can get some pretty nice traits from completing ability deeds(using an ability x number of times).

Tideas

Banned
whenever you creaet a new class, there should be a document in your backpack explaining the combat system behind that class.

I wouldn't think it'd be so hard to learn how to play

timkunedo

well i have to say after 3 days of playing i am really enjoying the experience. I'm not hardcore at all....faaaar from it. I'm just enjoying the solo questing (how long can i solo?) and the environment as a whole. The atmosphere is beautiful.

If this keeps up i'm going to give turbine some much deserved money and become a premium player. I think they deserve that much.

I'm having fun now that I'm a level 6. :D I understand building up my fervor to use bigger attacks so most enemies die really quickly. I'm always getting better armor too. Thanks for reminding me about deeds.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Htown said:

I haven't been there yet but is there supposed to be a town to the left there? Usually when you see ye olde motocross circuit it means your draw distance is set too low (this happens with Bree a lot)... but you can see that building even further in the distance. I hope it's not just ugly.

I'll see it soon enough I hope, once these Rangers quit their dillydallying.

etiolate

Banned
I started playing LOTRO about a year ago with the second expansion pack. I got my Runekeeper up to 41, but just couldn't find a good place to quest at 40 level. If any long time players have a suggestion then let me know. I got really tired of doing the same skirmish over and over, and could never get a Fornost group.

My problem now is that Brandywine always has a long wait queue. I'll try again later.

Characters I occasionally play btw:

41 Rk Doukhobor
20 Warden Alekrei
13 Burg Marjane

DiscoJer

etiolate said:
I started playing LOTRO about a year ago with the second expansion pack. I got my Runekeeper up to 41, but just couldn't find a good place to quest at 40 level. If any long time players have a suggestion then let me know. I got really tired of doing the same skirmish over and over, and could never get a Fornost group.

Yup, that was my big problem with the game. From about your 30s to 46 or so, there's just not much to do.

I actually slogged through it only because of Skirmishes, but yeah, it gets old because you only have like 4 under 50th level (or you did).

It really picks up though once you hit your mid-late 40s

Wallach

etiolate said:

My problem now is that Brandywine always has a long wait queue. I'll try again later.

41 Rk Doukhobor
20 Warden Aleksei
13 Burg Marjane

Really? The hardest place for me felt like the low to mid 30s, but even then I had more than enough quests to get through that.

At 40 you need to be all up in Angmar. Enter through the North Downs and hit up a bunch of quests at the Earthkin camp there (I don't recall what that camp is named). From there go north to Aughaire where there are a bajillion quests.

Alex

What is this layering nonsense? Is this new within the past year or so?

Me and a friend can't even get together due to it. Even hitting the teleport button thats supposed to bring you onto the same instance doesn't work.

Alex said:
What is this layering nonsense? Is this new within the past year or so?

Me and a friend can't even get together due to it. Even hitting the teleport button thats supposed to bring you onto the same instance doesn't work.

I had that same problem last night when I got a friend to join the game. We both started in the same area. I could even see him on the map when we were grouped but we could not see each other in the actual game, even after trying to get in the same layer.

Evenball

etiolate said:

41 Rk Doukhobor
20 Warden Alekrei
13 Burg Marjane

Wierd. I have NEVER had difficulty finding quests to solo. i recently soloed my Burg up to level 65 in 2 months with only a couple hours a night. At level 41-43 there are plenty of quests in the Trollshaws south of Thorenhad in Tal bruinen. in fact there's a quest line there where you get to see Gollum for the first time. i believe a lot of Misty Mountain quests are level 40-43 too. when you are done with those, head to Forochel and do all those quests, they are 42-47 level, then you can go to Angmar or Eregion to get to 50. there actually WAY more solo quests than you need from 40-50. i can never end up doing them all before they're grey.

firex

Ikuu said:
Any good interface mods? The default one is terrible and they really should have updated it.
no, this is the one thing I don't like about LOTRO. There's no real UI mods for the game at all.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I love how Class, Racial Traits and Slayer Deeds all make grinding worthwhile. If it was just all about money as a means to an end, there's always a better way but I really don't mind going out and killing random monsters at my level slowing gaining experience and working on different traits or deeds. Plus while doing that you're getting items you can sell from enemies and running into ore or wood that can be mined or cut.

etiolate

Banned
Evenball said:
Wierd. I have NEVER had difficulty finding quests to solo. i recently soloed my Burg up to level 65 in 2 months with only a couple hours a night. At level 41-43 there are plenty of quests in the Trollshaws south of Thorenhad in Tal bruinen. in fact there's a quest line there where you get to see Gollum for the first time. i believe a lot of Misty Mountain quests are level 40-43 too. when you are done with those, head to Forochel and do all those quests, they are 42-47 level, then you can go to Angmar or Eregion to get to 50. there actually WAY more solo quests than you need from 40-50. i can never end up doing them all before they're grey.

The problem is I just couldn't figure out the best place to go. When I first hit Angmar, there were little quests for me as I was too low level. I didnt find the gollum quests in Trollshaws, but I'll go looking for them.

But right now they're all kill ten rats quests in Angmar. =/ I am close to 42 now though.

Ok so I'm loving this game, I have a few questions though:

I'm quicky hitting the 20's on my hunter and that is the time where the f2p quests dry up(so I hear). To avoid this I just ordered the Moria expansion (for 9€ for god's sake), but according to that chart linked earlier in the thread, the moria expansion only unlocks content that can get you from about 50 to 60? Does the expansion somehow open up the rest of the quests (25-50) even for a limited time? Also, am I understanding correctly that to get to the level cap (65 I think?) I'll have to get the other expansion, Mirkwood?

Apart from being a total nooblet I'm having a whole lot of fun with this and wish I'd tried it sooner. Why didn't anyone tell me this game has the best class in an RPG ever? I'm talking about the Minstrel of course...I mean, I play guitar AT people! It's amazing.

Yesterday I was in the Shire and started rocking out Europe's The Final Countdown on my lute, it was so awsome that a random high level player gave me 100silver as a tip! I screamed G'NIGHT SHIRE and went on my merry way.

Oh another thing, I don't know if the GAF kin is still taking in players at a lower level but I'd really like to play with some of you guys, I'm on Brandywine on Elvil (hunter) or Voglo (Minstrel).

Just as a final note I wanted to say that you CANNOT get a mount for free if you're a f2p'er, even the Bree pony says subscription only :(

Shanadeus

Banned
The game is really pretty, here's one with my Elf Minstrel:

2rm5s9f.jpg

I love that I can play everything on max with my crappy computer, got everything on ultra/high on the settings I can set (so no Directx10)

etiolate

Banned
Someone mentioned a higher graphics version of the game? I have a retail copy. How are you guys getting these fancy graphics?

Here's quote of post from someone recommending me what to do(as f2p that wants more) on lotro forums:
Here's what I'd do:

0. Buy Mines of Moria on sale if possible. Around ten bucks. Don't activate key yet.
1. Get to max level as ftp. I'm hearing 24-25 if you do all the available content.
2. Don't buy anything from the in game store yet.
3. Activate MoM key once you've maxed out free leveling.
4. Do the riding quest so you can get your mount without paying 295 TP for the skill.
5. You have 30 days of VIP play to get from 24-25 to 50.
6. Maximize your TP earnings (secondary to just leveling past the paid SoA content into MoM, where you'll own the whole thing). Here's a link: http://lotro.mmorsel.com/2010/08/how-to-earn-turbine-points.html

If you can get to 50 in your free 30 days, then go back and make sure you didn't miss any TP along the way, then when you come back (or on Tuesday mornings/all day on patch days) you'll have all of MoM to do at your leisure. You'll get 500 TP plus what you earned from doing Deeds towards buying SoM, so by the time you hit the level for it, you'll possibly be able to buy it.

Now, this is assuming you just have the one character that you're playing. I don't know how long it'd take to get two or more from 24/25 to 50, but I'm guessing you'd have to play at a pretty fast pace to do it. If you play several alts or just level slower, then farming TP and buying a little to get Premium status might be the way to go. But you should use the MoM 30 days to get through as much of the paid SoA content as you can either way, so wait till you're max level to use the key. However, buy one now as they are disappearing off the shelves and won't be back. Saves a TON of points getting it for ten bucks somewhere.

Sounds good?

Kite

etiolate said:
Someone mentioned a higher graphics version of the game? I have a retail copy. How are you guys getting these fancy graphics?
Probably somewhere on their website, I'm downloading the game and there was an option for a standard and higher resolution pack.

So if I understand correctly, when I use my Moria code I become VIP for one month and then after that month I get downgraded to Premium (wich is still an upgrade since currently my account is a free account). Is that correct?

TimeKillr

firex said:
no, this is the one thing I don't like about LOTRO. There's no real UI mods for the game at all.

It's getting there.

www.lotrointerface.com - look up BuffBars and some of the QuickSlot bar mods.

Very useful (BuffBars is great - not only does it give you nice timers and all for buffs/debuffs) but it also has a custom quickslot bar that only shows up when you need to remove a debuff/heal yourself. Great stuff.

ACE 1991

Hmmm... As much as I'm enjoying the lore and setting, I just don't think I'll be playing this much longer. I think I'm just burned out on this kind of MMO formula.

Evenball

VoteForPedro said:
So if I understand correctly, when I use my Moria code I become VIP for one month and then after that month I get downgraded to Premium (wich is still an upgrade since currently my account is a free account). Is that correct?
yup, that's right. you can quest anywhere during your VIP month too. In eriador.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
firex said:
Originally Posted by Ikuu:

thats not true at all there a a few that really do improve the ui and the New LUA pluggin interface is is opening things up dramatically to significant changes outside of skins

Evenball

etiolate said:
The problem is I just couldn't figure out the best place to go. When I first hit Angmar, there were little quests for me as I was too low level. I didnt find the gollum quests in Trollshaws, but I'll go looking for them.

But right now they're all kill ten rats quests in Angmar. =/ I am close to 42 now though.

the place in the Trollshaws is called Echad Candelleth. It's in Tal bruinen and you cant see it from any of the roads. there's actually a quest sending you there from one of the elves hanging out by the road in southern trollshaws.

Top Bottom