• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings Online |OT| F2P lets everyone simply walk into Mordor

AndyD

aka andydumi
ToddG15 said:
Is the earliest you can get a permanent horse mount level 20? I already purchased the skill from the store.

No, its 5. If you buy riding skill in store, its 5.

At 20, VIP players get a quest to earn the riding skill, so they do not need to buy it in the store with TP. Then they can buy horses with in game money.

The horse farmer guy also sells a "bree pony" for 200s that is a permanent mount which does not require the riding skill at all, but which is only about 25% faster than walking.

So even f2p players can have a "TP free" mount, just not a fast one. But anything is better than walking.

gblues

Banned
Artadius said:
So does using swift travel use lotro points?

If you see the gold TP icon next to it, yes. However, you can use swift travel between the starter areas (Ered Luin, Shire, Bree) for in-game coin instead of TP. And you can use slow-travel for in-game coin, provided you've unlocked the routes (just talk to the stable master).

ToddG15

AndyD said:

At 20, VIP players get a quest to earn the riding skill, so they do not need to buy it in the store with TP. Then they can buy horses with in game money.

The horse farmer guy also sells a "bree pony" for 200s that is a permanent mount which does not require the riding skill at all, but which is only about 25% faster than walking.

So even f2p players can have a "TP free" mount, just not a fast one. But anything is better than walking.
Where do you get the horse at level 5? Or does just having the skill summon the horse?

nataku

AndyD said:

Nice, I didn't know about the bree pony. I was pretty bummed in beta when I got a quest telling me to go to the horse guy. I assumed I would quest for a mount, but nope... I get there and he tells me to buy the riding skill in the store first.

Hopefully I hit 20 before my 30 days runs out, though.

ToddG15

notworksafe said:
I went to a town north of Bree to get mine. Northern Bree Fields I think?
Thanks. I'll check that out once I'm off work. My friend went to the horse vendor north of Bree yesterday and only saw the level 20 horse (hence my original question). Maybe it only shows if you've purchased the skill from the store.

notworksafe

I'm VIP if that makes a difference, but I didn't buy the skill (either with in-game or out of game money). I just went to the horse vendor there and saw it...it's called Bree Starter Pony (might be Starter Horse for non-short races).

MedIC86

Is the Europe F2P already up? if so, how can i make an account. i looked around the site all i got was some trail...

AndyD

aka andydumi
notworksafe said:
I'm VIP if that makes a difference, but I didn't buy the skill (either with in-game or out of game money). I just went to the horse vendor there and saw it...it's called Bree Starter Pony (might be Starter Horse for non-short races).

Same here. Also vip for 30 days. And I do not have the riding skill. I am not going to spend the money on the pony, as I will likely hit 20 in the next few days and will buy a proper horse which are about 500s and up.

Leveling is somewhat faster than it was in the beta I feel. Early on anyway. I think they try to get people through to the paid areas sooner.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
AndyD said:
The only solution is using the auction house or subscribing.

Thats the crazy thing, F2P players cannot post to the auction either (need to buy that for 295 Turbine points). I thought I could circumvent that by trading person to person, guess not. It would have been nice if Turbine allowed at least one auction post to F2P users.

AndyD

aka andydumi
BlueTsunami said:
Thats the crazy thing, F2P players cannot post to the auction either (need to buy that for 295 Turbine points). I thought I could circumvent that by trading person to person, guess not. It would have been nice if Turbine allowed at least one auction post to F2P users.

That's what I meant. To prevent gold farming they keep F2Pers from being able to transfer money easily (without paying Turbine).

So as a regular player, you can earn more than you need for yourself in game, and cant send gold (also to prevent mule farming). You can trade items for items, you can buy off the AH if you need and want to.

You can't auction stuff which prevents you farming materials then auctioning them off, and you can't send money, which keeps you from having much utility to amassing large money amounts.

If you pay Turbine, which is what they want, then it opens up those avenues to transfer money.

I think it makes great sense, and 295 points is all of 3 bucks, so its not expensive. Remember they want people to look at this as a build the game to suit their playstyle, not as an everything for free model. So paying say 20-40 to get the game the way you want it should be acceptable as that was the relative price to buy the game in the store.

ToddG15

notworksafe said:
Yah, I'm VIP also (bought the skill cause I thought it was required even for VIP). Should be good to go then. Do you remember how much the cheap horse was?

webrunner

Anyone having problems with this "Dynamic Layering" thing? My girlfriend and I were trying to play together in the Elf starting area, and we couldn't see each other.. eventually I found the Dynamic Layer button, but clicking it when she was party leader just gave me a load screen and dropped me back to the same layer I was in, and clicking it when I was the party leader predictably did nothing. The weird thing was that she didn't even have a dynamic layering button at all: it was as if to her client there were no dynamic layers at all, so we couldn't try her porting to me.

Why couldn't it work like DDO where it tells you the layer you're in and lets you switch?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Freyjadour said:
So is there a more comprehensive list of what's best to obtain first? Want to make sure I'm making the most of my points.

In terms of zones to buy or what? In general?

I would say riding, 5 slots of auctions, max bags and gold cap are things to get. Lone Lands as the first post Bree area zone is probably better and more popular choice than North Downs.

Going VIP for one month when you reach 20 gets you the riding skill free and also 500 points, so it may be worth looking into. Buying a $8 copy of Moria from Amazon nets you the free month of VIP as well as several other goodies.

I guess the question is how much are you willing to spend in real money and when, now or slowly.

AndyD said:
In terms of zones to buy or what? In general?

I would say riding, 5 slots of auctions, max bags and gold cap are things to get. Lone Lands as the first post Bree area zone is probably better and more popular choice than North Downs.

Going VIP for one month when you reach 20 gets you the riding skill free and also 500 points, so it may be worth looking into. Buying a $8 copy of Moria from Amazon nets you the free month of VIP as well as several other goodies.

I guess the question is how much are you willing to spend in real money and when, now or slowly.
In general I guess. I bought the Amazon Moria so I'm running free VIP for a month and then I guess I'll be Premium. Not really sure exactly what Premium + Moria nets me in terms of what I should spend points on.

notsol337

marked forever
I'm starting to get kind of annoyed with Turbine. I have a Turbine account from when I tried Dungeons and Dragons Online, and I can't seem to figure out how I can add LOTRO to my list of games.

Sqorgar

Banned
Melhisedek said:
What classes would be easy to solo with?
Like Mage, rogue, hunter in WoW
In general, most classes are pretty easy to solo with. Maybe Lore Master is a bit more difficult. But the game is mostly solo quests with relatively few group quests (I hear they even made the group-only book quests soloable) and the few group targeted areas have been retrofitted to be solo-friendly. Whatever class you pick, the game itself is as solo friendly as it gets.

I hear that Warden is the best soloer, though I've had no trouble soloing a Guardian to 44. The ones that are a little more difficult are the Lore Master and Captain, I think. Maybe Burgler. I under he is difficult to play, but in capable hands, can more than hold his own.

ag-my001

Melhisedek said:
What classes would be easy to solo with?
Like Mage, rogue, hunter in WoW

Hunter, Champ, and RK are some of the faster soloing classes (being DPS and all), so you can get done the killing quests easily. The Burglar class is also nice, as some difficult quests (or ones you're underleveled for, or even some group quests) can be done simply by using stealth to get past the tricky part. The Warden is the best right now at end-game soloing; they can turtle up and self-heal themselves through many of the toughest mobs. On the first day of F2P, there was a topic in the Warden forums asking if there were any fun new mobs to solo; sounds like there's one giant patrolling that fits the bill.

However, as stated before, Turbine has made the game very solo friendly, especially at low levels. One early epic quest, Book 1.11, started out as a 6-man instance, then became 3, and finally now is a solo place since a few months ago. Pretty much all group quests before level 20 have been removed, and with the F2P launch skills were rearranged to reflect this. Minstrels now get their group heal at 20 instead of 14 because they don't need it at 14 anymore. It's really a shame, since now the first group content is Great Barrows, and nobody heading in there at low level has any experience in grouping, leading to many painful wipes when hunters find out what "aggro management" means.

Quoting because nobody replied

Me said:
I'm very interested in this game now. Thinking of being a dwarf champion. Are the queues for Brandywine still a bitch, or should I join another server (I live in Austin, TX)? I don't have a mic at the moment, but would I be okay soloing the early parts?

I'd also like to add that I must be a free player for at least a month. If CLE (long story short, they're a college program that manages your money) catches any microtransactions my computer gets taken away. Is it a bad time to start an MMO or will I live?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
You'd be fine soloing the early parts. And if you started playing now, you'd be restricted on some things but you could definitely made do if you didn't mind doing group content after lvl 25 or so.

notworksafe

Is there any way to show the time remaining on buffs/debuffs on you? Any good addon recommendations? I've been searching around for one to improve the map, but haven't found any.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
notworksafe said:
Is there any way to show the time remaining on buffs/debuffs on you? Any good addon recommendations? I've been searching around for one to improve the map, but haven't found any.
Hovering your mouse over the buff/debuff icon will show you the effect and the time remaining. I haven't looked at many addons yet, so I'd be interested in that answer myself.

I just wanted to say I just entered the Shire and I'm completely awstruck.

This game can be really beatiful at times so I'd like to share with you guys.

2s0y3pd.jpg

11ilb0y.jpg

Why the hell did it take me so long to play this?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
notworksafe said:
Yeah, I was just hoping for a way to always show the time. I'm sure there will be addons for it, if there aren't already.
yes look up lua buff bar addon on lotrointerface.com

notworksafe

Nice! I like that and the One Bag addon. However, do you have to manually load plugins on each login? That seems a bit odd.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
VoteForPedro said:
I just wanted to say I just entered the Shire and I'm completely awstruck.

This game can be really beatiful at times so I'd like to share with you guys.

Why the hell did it take me so long to play this?

dat skybox.gif

Seriously though, LOTRO zones are great. They're just fun places to hang out in. It certainly helps that they have so much lore and meaning attached to them for many people (myself included).

I'm not ashamed to admit that being able to run right up to Bag-End made me incredibly happy. As did doing quests for Aragorn. I was like "ooooh snap it's him."

I'm not putting down WoW... I played it for a couple years and still love it. But... LOTRO zones are something else. There aren't many zones in WoW that actually make me stop to admire, but I did it all the time in LOTRO.

Teknoman

Teknoman - Brandywine of course. Still inside the intro area. Is there any way to make the music volume a little louder? Seems like the sound effects overpower the music.

Teknoman said:
Teknoman - Brandywine of course. Still inside the intro area. Is there any way to make the music volume a little louder? Seems like the sound effects overpower the music.
Have you tried the Options menu? You can decrease/increase various sounds in the game.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Not sure what class to play. =/ Maybe I should try something completely different than usual and be an Archer, mage or healer.

I finally installed the motherfucker from the website but it's called Mirkwood and it asks for a disc check. What the hell?

Here's the problem

10770v4.png

Did I not download everything? Fffffffff, tell me there's a torrent or something other than Panda.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Kintaro said:
Not sure what class to play. =/ Maybe I should try something completely different than usual and be an Archer, mage or healer.
On Brandywine I see a million Hunters(archers) all the time, not to many burgs or champions lots of Captains and rune keepers.
not a ton of minstrels nor loremasters

I'm only 36 tho keep that in mind

Teknoman

Revolutionary said:
Have you tried the Options menu? You can decrease/increase various sounds in the game.

Seemed like everything was at the same level, and lowering the sounds might not achieve the effect im going for...of course I still need to give that a shot.

bloodydrake said:
On Brandywine I see a million Hunters(archers) all the time, not to many burgs or champions lots of Captains and rune keepers.
not a ton of minstrels nor loremasters

I'm only 36 tho keep that in mind

What about Guardians? No matter what I do, I cant pull myself away from playing with some sort of sword and shield combo at some point :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Teknoman said:
What about Guardians? No matter what I do, I cant pull myself away from playing with some sort of sword and shield combo at some point :lol

Yeah, I may go this route as well. Odd to hear that there are not too many Burglars though.

notworksafe

On Silverlode it's all Wardens and Hunters, with a spare Minstrel tossed in for good measure. Not a Lore-Master or Burglar to be seen.

ChoklitReign said:
I finally installed the motherfucker from the website but it's called Mirkwood and it asks for a disc check. What the hell?
You download either has not finished, or got messed up somehow. See how your files all end with ".bin.downloading" where the installer is looking for just ".bin"? If you're sure the downloader actually finished downloading, I guess you could try renaming them all, but I think it's more likely that it hasn't.

The "Mirkwood" thing isn't a problem; that's what mine was called, too.

Daheza

webrunner said:
Anyone having problems with this "Dynamic Layering" thing? My girlfriend and I were trying to play together in the Elf starting area, and we couldn't see each other.. eventually I found the Dynamic Layer button, but clicking it when she was party leader just gave me a load screen and dropped me back to the same layer I was in, and clicking it when I was the party leader predictably did nothing. The weird thing was that she didn't even have a dynamic layering button at all: it was as if to her client there were no dynamic layers at all, so we couldn't try her porting to me.

Why couldn't it work like DDO where it tells you the layer you're in and lets you switch?
Same problem with my friend, does anyone know a fix? This is really frustrating.

I got the installer running and played for an hour as a dwarf champion. It went pretty smoothly. I want to know where to find a trainer or whoever you learn skills and traits from.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
ChoklitReign said:
I got the installer running and played for an hour as a dwarf champion. It went pretty smoothly. I want to know where to find a trainer or whoever you learn skills and traits from.
Are you done with the intro? If you are look for training areas in Celondim if your an Elf, Thorins Hall if your a dwarf and there's a Training Hall in Michel Delving if your a Hobbit. If your a man character, Bree has them all spread out across town. Not sure where the champ trainer is in bree. I think there's a training hall in Combe as well.

As it seems all classes are able to solo well it brings me to a few questions:

1. What classes are fun to play? Fun meaning interesting mechanics ie a lot of buttons to press :)

2. Is there some end game content? Do you need to be in a guild to see it all or?

3. If I get free client how much do I need to pay for the rest of the content (expansions)

4. Is there a PvP and how good is it? (As I understand you can only be good guys and they won't fight each other while threat from Mordor is loomig )

5. What kind of rig do I need for the higher quality client? Would this do?
E8400 @ 3.9
4 Gig RAM

Shinjitsu

Banned
Go figure, right after I get it installed the servers go down for maintenance:lol

Also, after reading up on all the classes I decided I wanted to go with a Rune-Keeper, how long does it take to earn the points in-game to unlock one?

ToddG15

Melhisedek said:
5. What kind of rig do I need for the higher quality client? Would this do?
E8400 @ 3.9
4 Gig RAM
That is very similar to my setup and I have everything set to high/very high. I think I turned turn a few specific settings, hoping that it might help with the lag issues we've been seeing at peak times, but my fps is still ridiculously high most of the time.

Sloegr

ToddG15 said:
That is very similar to my setup and I have everything set to high/very high. I think I turned turn a few specific settings, hoping that it might help with the lag issues we've been seeing at peak times, but my fps is still ridiculously high most of the time.

What do you guys set your Texture Cache Size to? I have 4 GB RAM and 512 on my GPU and have it set at .8 right now.

Top Bottom