• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Season 1

Finrod, Arondir, Elrond, Gil-galad, Celebrimbor, Durin etc all seem alright so far? The dude on the raft … ugh.
Oh, yes, Arondir I’ll agree but I guess you can’t make that character “poor” - for obvious reasons. The rest? They haven’t shown any form of bravery. In fact, Gil-Galad has be shown to be most unwise.

Batiman

Banned
So is the show any good? I haven’t gotten around to it yet even though LOTR is like my favourite movies. I thought the trailers looked good. What’s the consensus looking like?

sol_bad

So is the show any good? I haven’t gotten around to it yet even though LOTR is like my favourite movies. I thought the trailers looked good. What’s the consensus looking like?

I'm loving the show so far.
The first episode is a lot of set up about Middle Earth history and the current state of the world. The second episode is more about character development and the start of the actual plot, ends on a few mysteries to hook viewers.

In case it matters, I love the original LOTR films, thought The Hobbit films were average but fun to a degree.
And for the hell of it I loved GoT except for season 7 and 8. The new House of the Dragon show, loved the first 2 eps and thought the 3rd ep was just OK.

Much like HotD, I might think the 3rd episode is average as well, we'll see.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
But... other than Halbrand (raft guy), Arondir (black wood-elf), and Prince Durin IV (who is partly depicted as childlike in his upset with Elrond), that's pretty much true so far.

The other elves are deceptive, naïve, ignorant, and condescending. The men of the Men are all dirty bores just drinking and looking for a fight.

I'll give it to you that all the dwarves so far are shown as jolly drunks.

To be fair, some of the elves depicted in the First and Second Ages in the Silmarillion were massive cunts to each other, so they're not the graceful, enlightened and infallible dorks we're accustomed to seeing in the LotR movies.

But yeah, I kinda had an issue with the whole trope of Galadriel being bullied in the Blessed Realm. I guess even in Heaven, there are morons that can still make your life hell (Morgoth and co. notwithstanding).

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

No one ever called Legalos a Mary Sue, they just thought it was cool seeing him wreck shit. Shame a woman can't do the same thing.

I said my piece about the Daemon scene in the HotD thread. It didn't work for me.

Actually Legolas is constantly a talking point each and every time he's onscreen with us. I don't have issues with him being OP per say, but why aren't the rest of the elves anywhere near his level? As I mentioned pages ago, I don't mind Galadriel kicking all kinds of shit, but why aren't the Elves, who are also roided up from having been born and raised in Valinor, not Legolas'ing the fuck out of everything alongside Galadriel? I always imagined Valinorian Elves / High Elves to be all kinds of kickass in my head, but they were being bodied like no one's business. It's the inconsistency that kills me.

Legolas isn't generally viewed as a Mary Sue / Gary Sue because he's doesn't really do anything meaningful ... other than kill heaps of shit and look good. Ultimately the pivotal moments and decisions are made by the other main characters. Despite Legolas' prowess and godlike reflexes, he's unable to 'save' Frodo in Moria, he's unable to 'save' Gandalf, he's unable to change the tide of battle meaningfully, he's unable to stop the ISIS suicide bomber at Helm's Deep, he's unable to even save any of the Lorien elves at Helm's Deep who were all wrecked, etc., etc.

And on the subject of Galadriel ... it would have been a good opportunity for her to display some of her powers in episode 1. Like when she punched a hole in that wall to reveal a passageway; it would have better if she had subtly used her powers to clear the doorway, instead of ordering her retinue to do so. It would have been a great opportunity to establish a baseline for some of her powers early on. Or using her Force powers to move Elves out of danger during the snow troll attack.

Also, nice opportunity to plug one of my favourite Legolas videos:

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Actually Legolas is constantly a talking point each and every time he's onscreen with us. I don't have issues with him being OP per say, but why aren't the rest of the elves anywhere near his level? As I mentioned pages ago, I don't mind Galadriel kicking all kinds of shit, but why aren't the Elves, who are also roided up from having been born and raised in Valinor, not Legolas'ing the fuck out of everything alongside Galadriel? I always imagined Valinorian Elves / High Elves to be all kinds of kickass in my head, but they were being bodied like no one's business. It's the consistency that kills me.
Because the show runners have absolutely no understanding of the source material.

Kamina

Golden Boy
So man in crater is young Gandalf?
There is no such thing as young Gandalf, he was always old from the moment he was turned to an Istari and sent to middle earth by boat in the early 3rd Age in company of the other wizards.
My guess is the guy is a pun to another of Tolkien‘s works, fleshed out to fit the narrative and fill the „fanfiction“ of the show

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!

I like it, don't love it.

The first episode is a little weird with the pacing. Since you're a fan of the trilogy you'll probably keep up just fine (it's not challenging, I could just see newcomers being baffled). The second has better pacing and better tonal shifts and adds a little mystery.

It does not have as good of direction, plotting, or dialog as the films. We should get that out of the way up front. Those movies are literally classics now that won tons of awards and lightning rarely strikes twice in this industry. But it's close enough and enjoyable. I think by the conclusion of episode two most everyone will know whether or not this show is for them.

RAÏSanÏa

Some of the stars partly seen through the haze by Galadriel that she swims away from at the beginning of the ep look similar to the ones the bobbing fireflies are making at the end.

Go West!

The theme for The Stranger is very similar to the motif for The Girl who was...Death. Every time that theme plays in the show I'm brought to that song.

Kimahri

Banned
Legolas was total unjustifiable OTT nonsense on screen and there is no way around admitting that even if you love it. Overall the way Jackson handled how the Elves fought was clownish.

Yes and no. I remember seeing Fellowship in the theatre and Legolas plucking down orcs at incredible speed with his bow, and thinking it was the coolest thing ever. I also greatly enjoyed (and still do) their almost robotic movements in unison, like they're so in control of their bodies it's almost mechanical.

And then came Legolas surfing on a shield and taking down a Mumakil all on his own, and then it went into ridiculous territory. Let's not even get into The Hobbit.

Wildebeest

Yes and no. I remember seeing Fellowship in the theatre and Legolas plucking down orcs at incredible speed with his bow, and thinking it was the coolest thing ever. I also greatly enjoyed (and still do) their almost robotic movements in unison, like they're so in control of their bodies it's almost mechanical.

And then came Legolas surfing on a shield and taking down a Mumakil all on his own, and then it went into ridiculous territory. Let's not even get into The Hobbit.
Like I say, you can enjoy it, but the realism of it is clown car levels of practicality.

Literally building a clown car on the battlefield, so they can jump out of it.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
There is no such thing as young Gandalf, he was always old from the moment he was turned to an Istari and sent to middle earth by boat in the early 3rd Age in company of the other wizards.
My guess is the guy is a pun to another of Tolkien‘s works, fleshed out to fit the narrative and fill the „fanfiction“ of the show

Again, the two Blues came to Middle Earth at this time. One came and then asked the other to join him. Not all of the Wizards came in the 3rd age.

The Hobbit films do not exist.
I tried downloading one of the fan edits but it was taking far too long. I watched the first 2 hobbit movies but didn't really bother with the last one. As far as I'm concerned only the LOTR trilogy exists

Last edited by a moderator:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'm guessing from the statement that he did not watch the show.
Of course he didn’t. He’s jumping on the trending topic to take a swipe at Bezos. People gleefully posting his Tweet don’t know how the two hate each other (SpaceX vs Blue Origin) and how Bezos sued the government to try to take SpaceX’s NASA contracts.

ypjhWx2_d.webp

The show is above average fantasy so far. The standout is the visuals and they definitely live up to the hype. The one worry I have at the moment is we are two episodes into an 8 episode season and the story lacks focus. There are 4 storylines being juggled right now and none of them are particularly compelling. It's not really fair to judge at this point because they may be weaving something special for later, but at the moment it is what it is.

Hari Seldon

It is very good, especially if you are a fan of the movies. Unfortunately the show is being sacrificed to The Culture War so there is a lot of horseshit hot takes.

DKehoe

It is very good, especially if you are a fan of the movies. Unfortunately the show is being sacrificed to The Culture War so there is a lot of horseshit hot takes.
I’m sure I said this in another thread recently but it really sucks how so many films and shows get absorbed into The Culture War and that’s the thing that dominates the conversation about them. It’s just dull to see these same discussions happening over and over, drowning out other topics.

FunkMiller

I’m sure I said this in another thread recently but it really sucks how so many films and shows get absorbed into The Culture War and that’s the thing that dominates the conversation about them. It’s just dull to see these same discussions happening over and over, drowning out other topics.

The only good thing is that these arguments are only conducted by a small minority. The vast majority of people watching the show are just watching it for what it is.

VN1X

Banned
It's also annoying that any criticism of the actual content of the show itself is brushed away under the same carpet.

"Dialogue, costumes and acting is all sub-par"
-"oh keep your culture war to yourself!"

Uhuh.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Arondir
It's also annoying that any criticism of the actual content of the show itself is brushed away under the same carpet.

"Dialogue, costumes and acting is all sub-par"
-"oh keep your culture war to yourself!"

Uhuh.

I dunno, I think the costumes are phenomenal. As for acting, there is only a few scenes where I think there could have been some work done. It was in the first episode. Most of the time, the acting is fine. I especially love the Harfoots.

Kev Kev

This show will be quickly forgotten.

Strange for Amazon to spend so many years and such a ridiculous amount of money pulling this together, but then not hand it to directors, producers and writers with a proven track record and better vision.
So what did you think of the first two episodes?

Kimahri

Banned
Because those are the criticisms of a moron. There are issues with the show but none of those 3 things are it.

Is this some weird reverse psychology thing where the goal is to prove you are a moron?

I could talk about why rocks sink, faces that never change expression, but instead I'll give you this:

You know what the purpose of a good costume is? To look like the clothes people wear.

You know what the costumes in Rings of Power look like? Costumes.

ManaByte

Gold Member

People do it because it makes them A LOT of money on YouTube.

The Quartering makes up to $133K a MONTH:
https://socialblade.com/youtube/c/thequartering

Critical Drinker $60K :
https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/jacktaylor1983

Nerdrotic $25K:
https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/sutrowatchtower

Geeks and Gamers $10K:
https://socialblade.com/youtube/c/geeksandgamers

The problem comes when people use those performance outrage narratives to form an opinion on something and just parrot things they heard on their YouTube feed in these threads.

People do it because it makes them A LOT of money on YouTube.

The Quartering makes up to $133K a MONTH:
https://socialblade.com/youtube/c/thequartering

Critical Drinker $60K :
https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/jacktaylor1983

Nerdrotic $25K:
https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/sutrowatchtower

Geeks and Gamers $10K:
https://socialblade.com/youtube/c/geeksandgamers

The problem comes when people use those performance outrage narratives to form an opinion on something and just parrot things they heard on their YouTube feed in these threads.
And what do the access media shills make?
Grace Randolph, Jeremy Jahns, Shadiversity, frikkin' EW... are they all performance outragers?

Or maybe it's just a very middling show. Your crusade is getting tiresome.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Now new data from Samba TV suggests the “Rings” bow, while good, was not as spectacular as hyped.

Indeed, 1.8 million U.S. households watched “The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power” episode 1 on Prime Video during the L+3D (Sept. 1-4) window. Another 1.3 million U.S. households watched episode 2 during the L+3D window. The series’ debut marked Prime Video’s highest three-day viewership of any 2022 premiere on the platform.

Yet, the debut of Netflix’s “Stranger Things”, season 4, volume 1, episode 1 generated 2.9 million U.S. households. And the debut of “Obi-Wan Kenobi” (Disney+), episode 1 saw 2.1 million U.S. households tune in.

John_Ryder

No one ever called Legalos a Mary Sue, they just thought it was cool seeing him wreck shit. Shame a woman can't do the same thing.

I said my piece about the Daemon scene in the HotD thread. It didn't work for me.

I've always thought that the Legolas over the top scenes weren't meant to be taken seriously. The shield surfing scene even has the Fellowship theme morphed into some kind of super hero tune to add to this purpose. Galadriels cirque de Soleil scene on the other hand...

Hari Seldon

Unreal. So now you are a "moron" for daring to suggest not everything is up to snuff or otherwise are only allowed to criticize very specific aspects (things which have been vetted by "Hari Seldon" first). :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF
The criticisms are moronic because that is the same hot take dumb shit people were saying about the trailers. So if that is the extent of your criticism then you did not watch the show and are just culture-warring, or you did watch the show but are refusing to provide any examples.

Hari Seldon

Is this some weird reverse psychology thing where the goal is to prove you are a moron?

I could talk about why rocks sink, faces that never change expression, but instead I'll give you this:

You know what the purpose of a good costume is? To look like the clothes people wear.

You know what the costumes in Rings of Power look like? Costumes.
I'll be sure to compare the costumes on the show to the clothes that all of my Harfoot, Elvish, and Dwarvish neighbors are wearing.

HAYA8U5A

I like it so far but could see myself souring on it if the pacing continues like this all season. The first few episodes that is fine since they can be viewed as the prologue setting things up but if an entire season ends up feeling like a prologue it will be disappointing.

Artoris

Gold Member
8HrIqXJ.jpg

Because those are the criticisms of a moron. There are issues with the show but none of those 3 things are it.

"Dialogue" - Stilted and nonsensical

"But the ship has a secret, for unlike the stone, her gaze is not downward but up, fixed upon the light that guides her whispering of grander things than the darkness ever new.”
"This place is so evil, our torches give off no warmth."
"The skies are strange." weohohohoooooo *spoopy*
"We stay true to each other, with our hearts even bigger than our feet.” ahahahaha

My favorite: "It is said the wine of victory is sweetest for those in whose bitter trials it has fermented."

"Dialect" - GaladrrRRrrRiellleeee

If I would take a shot every time they change the pronunciation of GaladRiel, MoRdoR or SauRon, I'd be off my tits before half-time.

"Costumes" - Wearing a nightgown to the aftermath of a battle

Corpses, death and blood can't ruin my style.

UcJa1X7.jpg

"Acting"

So much overacting as the actors stumble over their stilted dialogues.

conflicted3.gif

"Tolkienesque"

YZ5T3eJ.jpg

Never-ending exposition and multiple storylines happening all at once is not the way how Tolkien told his tales. Nothing has room to breathe, characters just get tossed around, no immersion whatsoever. Galadriel doing frikin' sword tricks after killing the ice troll is just awful, dumb and has no place in a Tolkien setting. This isn't Ninja Turtles, who is she trying to show off?

"Engaging"

Every character is so derivative and totally fails to stand on its own. They would be nothing without the material they cannot touch upon or Jackson's movies, for example the Harfoots are basically just female Sam and Frodo. The Shakespearian forbidden love story is just dumb and doesn't really belong in a Tolkien story. The action scenes are fake, weightless and frivolous. The Michael Bay'esque rotating establishing shots belong in a Transformer movie, not a LOTR show.

"Plotholes" - More holes then cheese
  • Galadriel is supposed to have a husband and a daughter and do you know who Elrond marries? Yeah...
  • Galadriel's father is Finarfin the youngest son of the High King of the Noldor Finwe. No kid would bully her, especially not in frikkin' Aman (meaning the blessed land, free from evil).
  • The piling of the helmets is something done by the Orcs.
  • Elves don’t really die, their souls travel back to the Halls of Mandos where they may be reborn. They have no fear of death.
  • Galadriel is actually under the Curse of Mandos because of her defiance of the Valar and the Kinslaying. She is not allowed to return across the Sea to Valinor.
Unfinished Tales:
The Exiles were allowed to return – save for a few chief actors in the rebellion, of whom at the time of The Lord of the Rings only Galadriel remained. At the time of her Lament in Lórien she believed this to be perennial, as long as the Earth endured. Hence she concludes her lament with a wish or prayer that Frodo may as a special grace be granted a purgatorial (but not penal) sojourn in Eressëa, the solitary isle in sight of Aman, though for her the way is closed. Her prayer was granted – but also her personal ban was lifted, in reward for her services against Sauron, and above all for her rejection of the temptation to take the Ring when offered to her. So at the end we see her taking ship

The show might be just good enough for some random fantasy tale, but it totally fails Tolkien and his work.

Last edited:

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
so wait if your paid poorly its ok to be a shill.. but if you can make a living its not ok to be a critic
having a job in the mediasphere means they can't have an honest opinion?..it must just be for clicks. Broadstrokes eh. Irony all day long.

Some media critics are consistent.. some personalities have integrity and some don't.. if you find they keep changing tunes with the winds of popularity then drop em.
Critical Drinker is a published author,he brings an interesting perspective with a fun persona, he's working in the business. Film Threat for decades as well , Chato is a writer, actor, and executive...huge insights and experience..

the reason everything is about the culture wars with this show is cuz thats what amazon wanted. endless coverage has shown how they incited this to shit to stir up buzz..then tried to pivot away and the pivot failed. its all amazons fault and the publicity agency that came up with the lame idea for a promotional direction.

It was the show team members that said they wanted the show to reflect the world today and not to reflect the world Tolkien Created. Shocked an overall disreguard for what Fantasy nerds consider sacred would have some back lash..

HotD is way better at this point.
Its an average fantasy show at best without the visual effects budget.. AT BEST.
I don't see how people can't handle the idea people see anything to dislike.. The most expensive show ever made is a FAILURE if its not a HUGE hit.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
"Plotholes" - More holes then cheese
  • Galadriel is supposed to have a husband and a daughter and do you know who Elrond marries? Yeah...
  • Galadriel's father is Finarfin the youngest son of the High King of the Noldor Finwe. No kid would bully her, especially not in frikkin' Aman (meaning the blessed land, free from evil).
  • The piling of the helmets is something done by the Orcs.
  • Elves don’t really die, their souls travel back to the Halls of Mandos where they may be reborn. They have no fear of death.
  • Galadriel is actually under the Curse of Mandos because of her defiance of the Valar and the Kinslaying. She is not allowed to return across the Sea to Valinor.
- They'll probably have her meet Celeborn later.
- There are plenty of examples of royalty getting bullied. For example:
https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna35726806
- No where in the text does it say that Elves have no fear of death. Going to the Halls of Mandos and being reincarnated can take centuries.
- The Doom was lifted after the War of Wrath. All Noldor (and all elves in general) were permited to go to Valinor once they grew tired of the world

Top Bottom