• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Season 1

I dont know whats happening here but watched this first on PS5 prime app and now rewatched it on LG TV's own app and man does the TV look miles crisper then PS5. Cant find any settings that would cause this so it must be the app.
well the LG is probably showing it in dolby vision. Mine does. So that could be part of it at least.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
When people keep posting videos from TheQuartering or Critical Drinker or whatever else and just say "see? This guy said thing and I agree with thing because he laid it out"... That's not forming your own opinion.
well i don't watch thequarering however I do watch the Drinker and i do share videos that present an opinion in a well formed and interesting way,why would i just regurgitate their opinion as my own..posting videos links is explicitly so i don't present their opinions as my own.
Sometimes considering others perspective helps expand your own understanding of material and challenges your own limited perspective and can clarify something you were seeing but couldn't clearly articulate.
Observing, listening to others, discussing all of it IS EXACTLY how you form a well thought out opinion. If you only have opinions forming in the vacuum of your own thoughts. you probably a narcissist with bad ideas

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I dont know whats happening here but watched this first on PS5 prime app and now rewatched it on LG TV's own app and man does the TV look miles crisper then PS5. Cant find any settings that would cause this so it must be the app.

TV apps (and the Apple TV app) support Dolby Vision. The console apps don't.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
so they wanted her to look like she was containing her rage
and we got this
conflicted3.gif

and to me she just looks like she's trying to imitate this
tenor.gif

Last edited:
so they wanted her to look like she was containing her rage
and we got this
conflicted3.gif

and to me she just looks like she's trying to imitate this
tenor.gif
She's actually a really good actress. If you're into slow and moody psychological horror (in other words, don't expect any jump scares), watch Saint Maud to see her in top form.

I blame the director. You know, the guy that directed this modern classic:
y09gQxS.jpg

Who'd have guessed that the director of such a turd would make something so mediocre with a beloved property? Again

ManaByte

Gold Member
She's actually a really good actress. If you're into slow and moody psychological horror (in other words, don't expect any jump scares), watch Saint Maud to see her in top form.

I blame the director. You know, the guy that directed this modern classic:
y09gQxS.jpg

Who'd have guessed that the director of such a turd would make something so mediocre with a beloved property? Again

To be fair he also directed The Impossible and A Monster Calls. With Jurassic Park he was cursed with a Colin Trevorrow script.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!

Almost no app on the PS5 is true 4K nor does it support HDR. I think only the Hulu app in the US does right now. Sony had the same issue with the PS4/Pro - it took them like three or four years to get all of the major streaming apps to 4K and HDR. I use my Apple 4K TV device to watch everything for now.

On the show, my major criticism about Galadriel - who I think even most professional critics seem to agree is the weakest-written character - is how the writers don't realize that to make a woman character strong and honorable they don't need to have her exude toughness and aggression all the time. There doesn't need to be some kind of conflict-forged trek to grace. We saw them doing the this within the very first thirty seconds or so of her being introduced as a child.

If they want to write a hero's journey for Galadriel that's fine. I don't think she was the right character to choose for this. Elrond, an actual warrior, would have been a better choice. And it's even worse because over the course of the films they had plenty of heroes to choose from that were graceful to begin with that could have served as examples, such as Aragorn or even Tauriel. Galadriel here is closer to young Legolas, who was a dick in The Hobbit trilogy and didn't learn how to be a noble warrior until the very end. Or hell, they could have referenced any number of heroines from anime, particularly a Studio Ghibli heroine like Nausicaa.

I hope they wrap up whatever they're trying to do with Galadriel before the season ends. Hopefully by then they'll have introduced more characters to work with.

ManaByte

Gold Member
If they want to write a hero's journey for Galadriel that's fine. I don't think she was the right character to choose for this. Elrond, an actual warrior, would have been a better choice. And it's even worse because over the course of the films they had plenty of heroes to choose from that were graceful to begin with that could have served as examples, such as Aragorn or even Tauriel. Galadriel here is closer to young Legolas, who was a dick in The Hobbit trilogy and didn't learn how to be a noble warrior until the very end. Or hell, they could have referenced any number of heroines from anime, particularly a Studio Ghibli heroine like Nausicaa.

I hope they wrap up whatever they're trying to do with Galadriel before the season ends. Hopefully by then they'll have introduced more characters to work with.

I think they're taking her to Numenor.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Potential ratings disaster if this proves to be true...

https://cosmicbook.news/rings-power-she-hulk-ratings

"Samba TV, which claims to have 46 million addressable TV devices to measure data, reports that 1.8 million households watched the Rings of Power premiere in the first four days of release, which is the same as the She-Hulk premiere."

Edit: Looks like Amazon announced 25 million views for the first episode.

Last edited:

sol_bad

If anyone is interested, Dr Corey Olsen did his analysis and reaction to the first 2 episodes.

Potential ratings disaster if this proves to be true...

https://cosmicbook.news/rings-power-she-hulk-ratings

"Samba TV, which claims to have 46 million addressable TV devices to measure data, reports that 1.8 million households watched the Rings of Power premiere in the first four days of release, which is the same as the She-Hulk premiere."

Edit: Looks like Amazon announced 25 million views for the first episode.

Your point? HBO said they had 10 million viewers, Samba said they had 2.6 million.
Only thing we can take away from this is that barely any people in America use the Samba service.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If anyone is interested, Dr Corey Olsen did his analysis and reaction to the first 2 episodes.

Your point? HBO said they had 10 million viewers, Samba said they had 2.6 million.
Only thing we can take away from this is that barely any people in America use the Samba service.

I guess the thing to watch going forward is episode numbers as it sounds like the SambaTV numbers are reputable (smart TVs only).

E1 was at 1.8 million - 25 million (Amazons numbers)

E2 was at 1.3 million - ~18 million (estimate)

Honeymoon period and all that.

sol_bad

I guess the thing to watch going forward is episode numbers as it sounds like the SambaTV numbers are reputable (smart TVs only).

E1 was at 1.8 million - 25 million (Amazons numbers)

E2 was at 1.3 million - ~18 million (estimate)

Honeymoon period and all that.

Don't forget that Amazon's number is worldwide, Samba's number is America only.

Azurro

Banned
Who gives a shit what Elon Musk thinks. Watch the show and form your own opinion.

You know, there's a good reason why reviews exist, so you don't have to waste your money and time on subpar products. So many people are finding Galadriel to be a Karen and a strong wahmen and the men to be weak and pathetic. I don't need to spend money to subscribe and watch the show to know that that's something I wouldn't want to watch, there are better ways to spend your time and money.

Konnor

I think The Impossible is probably his best. It's about the 2004 Sumatra tsunami and has Ewan McGregor, Naomi Watts, and a young Tom Holland.

I can't even begin to describe how good the tsunami scenes were at the beginning on this movie and how realistic and sometimes brutal it looked, the direction in that movie was top notch. I can't believe that was the same guy that directed Fallen Kingdom, Hollywood does the opposite of what it used to do with good international directors, they're now hiring them and ruining their talent.

edit - Holy fucking shit, the movie just cost 45 million to make

Last edited:

sol_bad

You know, there's a good reason why reviews exist, so you don't have to waste your money and time on subpar products. So many people are finding Galadriel to be a Karen and a strong wahmen and the men to be weak and pathetic. I don't need to spend money to subscribe and watch the show to know that that's something I wouldn't want to watch, there are better ways to spend your time and money.

Elon Musk has a tweet, that's not a review ...
Also, I am not influenced by any reviews, I make my own opinion about things. What's the point of going by reviews, you are narrowing your ability to find new things you might love. I'm excited to see Don't Worry Darling, it's getting bad reviews, I don't care, still excited to see it.

bender

What time is it?
Also, I am not influenced by any reviews, I make my own opinion about things. What's the point of going by reviews, you are narrowing your ability to find new things you might love. I'm excited to see Don't Worry Darling, it's getting bad reviews, I don't care, still excited to see it.

Of all the people to trust, Elon Musk...

Azurro

Banned

You don't have an opinion, you like everything pushed by any big corporation. There are multiple other reviews and impressions on youtube where you can find a common theme, it is a bad show. I'm not going to reward amazon with a subscription to watch strong wahmen GINO when everyone that reviewed this says this includes everything I hate about sjw writing.

Last edited:

sol_bad

You don't have an opinion, you like everything pushed by any big corporation. There are multiple other reviews and impressions on youtube where you can find a common theme, it is a bad show. I'm not going to reward amazon with a subscription to watch strong wahmen GINO when everyone that reviewed this says this includes everything I hate about sjw writing.

You want to limit your world view, you do you. I've personally never come across a reviewer where I agree with them 100% of the time.
Just one example is Chris Stuckman, I agree with him many times but he had fun with Army of the Dead and Moonfall. I thought they were both dreadful and/or boring.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
well i don't watch thequarering however I do watch the Drinker and i do share videos that present an opinion in a well formed and interesting way,why would i just regurgitate their opinion as my own..posting videos links is explicitly so i don't present their opinions as my own.
Sometimes considering others perspective helps expand your own understanding of material and challenges your own limited perspective and can clarify something you were seeing but couldn't clearly articulate.
Observing, listening to others, discussing all of it IS EXACTLY how you form a well thought out opinion. If you only have opinions forming in the vacuum of your own thoughts. you probably a narcissist with bad ideas
After I watch something, I'll watch someone else's review of it... Often they'll tell me about something I missed ... So I can go back and watch it again to find it. I only watch reviews from a VERY few people ... Often they don't like what I liked BUT they'll have an observation of something I either missed or an explanation of something I didn't get when I watched it. Reviews have their place AFTER you watch ... That's their value IMO.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I think The Impossible is probably his best. It's about the 2004 Sumatra tsunami and has Ewan McGregor, Naomi Watts, and a young Tom Holland.

I'd agree to that. Although, A Monster Calls is also fantastic. I could really relate to that film and I'm not ashamed to admit that it made me very emotional.

nkarafo

Worst casting of all time. Nobody is likeable, let alone "steals the screen".

I thought it was the diversity casting at fault but seems like everyone sucks here regardless.

Azurro

Banned
You want to limit your world view, you do you. I've personally never come across a reviewer where I agree with them 100% of the time.
Just one example is Chris Stuckman, I agree with him many times but he had fun with Army of the Dead and Moonfall. I thought they were both dreadful and/or boring.

I like how you like to position your shilling for everything Hollywood as "broadening your worldview". You don't have a worldview, since you don't have a criteria from where to evaluate things. It seems the only consistent "worldview" you have is to support whatever product is being pushed by Hollywood and/or the woke mob, therefore you don't have opinions, you are astroturf marketing.

It's not about having a single reviewer that I 100% agree, that never happens. However, when you take the reviews of multiple commentators outside of the mainstream ecosystem and most of them tell you how this show contains everything I despise in a modern production, then it's easy to reach a conclusion to not spend money and time on a subscription/ticket/videogame.

I simply can't take seriously any production with "strong wahmen" in it.

jason10mm

Gold Member
How do elves know what "Taking care of an aged parent" is like? Elves don't age and die, do they?

The analogy that dwarves treat mountains the way people treat their elders, aka as something to be carefully exploited for all their wealth until they are just a shell...wow what a grim bit of dialog!

killatopak

Gold Member
Confused about this hot take that the men are weak and "not nice". The two main male characters, Elrond and Arondir both seem "nice", not cowardly, and not stupid. People just seem really invested in the narrative that everything is anti-male and anti-white.
Arondir is the black elf right? I genuinely don’t see any problem regarding him at least on surface look. Most of the complaints I see about him are just aesthetics like having a sick fade in the first age.

Elrond isn’t that bad for me either. While I liked the sense of elves forgetting personal relationship with other races due to their long lives in the show, when I dug deeper it seems quite suspect to me. Both are basically royalty and I think someone pointed out earlier in the thread or I watched a video explaining that complete non-contact shouldn’t be possible unless both races forgo diplomatic ties or messaging complete. It’s a small nitpick that flew me by if it didn’t get pointed out to me. Especially true consider how important a marriage is for the dwarven side.

It is kinda weird though when I watched a few lore videos on Elrond and Galadriel. In the show, there seems to be romantic tension between them but I found out Elrond marries Galadriel’s daughter which is kinda weird to me but I’m not exactly an expert in elven culture and that shit was happening for real in the middle ages anyway. Especially if you consider how long lived elves are.

FunkMiller

I loved the original trilogy for LOTR
Disliked the Hobbit
Is this new TV series any good?

It's alright.

It's not terrible, it's not amazing. Some good aspects, certainly visually impressive, but a meandering plot and no decent focus thus far. The culture war complaints are completely unsupported by what is actually happening on screen. But the whole thing does currently feel like backstory and filler. Because that is, of course, what it always has been. The bits that Tolkien actually wrote, that is.

I think the people who should be most annoyed about this series are those who love other fantasy and sci-fi projects that should have had the money spent on them, instead of this.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Worst casting of all time. Nobody is likeable, let alone "steals the screen".

I thought it was the diversity casting at fault but seems like everyone sucks here regardless.

I have to give Desa credit, the black dwarf female! She does steal the scene! She was the only one the seem to have brought life into the show! Everyone else was just so drab and boring.

After listening to her interviews leading up to the show, I thought she would’ve been the worst character! 😂

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Some scholar, he hasn't even make one remark about Tolkien spinning in his grave or said the word woke.

He began with a deeper explanation of how the opening exchange influences the characters. That ancient secret was going to be a well of wonder. He didn't mention anything else about it so far, so an even deeper test of comprehension might remain for to use on those who claim it's simple.

sol_bad

Some scholar, he hasn't even make one remark about Tolkien spinning in his grave or said the word woke.

He began with a deeper explanation of how the opening exchange influences the characters. That ancient secret was going to be a well of wonder. He didn't mention anything else about it so far, so an even deeper test of comprehension might remain for to use on those who claim it's simple.

Somehow he understands that adaptations to and from one media to another require changes. I don't know Middle Earth lore but if anyone can rebutt his analysis with as much intelligence and nuance as he does I'd love to hear it.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Who gives a shit what Elon Musk thinks. Watch the show and form your own opinion.
Maybe go back and look at the thread and you'll see I've already mentioned I've seen both episodes and commented on them. Apparently you missed that.

I'm just saying I don't know much about Lord of the Rings in general but I have watched both episodes.

Last edited:

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Tolkien was very explicit he didn't approve of altering his characters or story.. like it or not thats how he felt.
So first part yes..he would have hated it.. he would have hated peter jacksons most likely too tho

The vast majority of the dialog and story telling is designed in such away to be very aligned and overtly or subtly winks at the progressive woke D.I.E. ideology at the expense of remaining true to the source material.
But thats all Trailer Dialog, its all scenes to put in the trailers to virtue signal
Galadriel is a Karen Sue ( Karen plus a Mary Sue) but she's pretty( i suspect thats what he ment for nice..nice on the eyes not nice person)
Is it watchable.. for sure .. best looking fantasy show ever.
so far its a very average at best in all other reguards

Top Bottom