• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NBA has a 3-pt foul problem, and it's associated almost exclusively with Harden

Griss

The league foul system exclusively benefits shooters. It is impossible to play defense on the perimeter in the NBA. They need to stop calling defensive fouls when:
  • the shooter jumps into the defender
  • the shooter wails his arms of feet like a jellyfish
  • the shooter tosses a ball into the air to appear to be shooting
  • the shooter acts like he got shot with a canon ball after being pinky clipped

I would watch a lot more basketball if they fixed these things.

Think about it from Harden's point of view
Dcht1BG.gif

in his mind, he's the victim

spyder_ur

I wish that we could send Harden, Griffin, CP3, and some of these other cheeseball players back into the '90s and make them try and pull that garbage on the Barkley, Malone, Oakley, Laimbeer, Payton, and Rodman players of the league. Griffin, Harden, and these other jokers would probably refuse to come out of the locker after halftime.

Charles Oakley and Laimbeer probably wouldn't be able to make a roster in today's NBA. Don't get me wrong, they were good players, but the players today are better and the game has changed.

This is an annoying thing, but it's important to remember that the game is a far better product than the 90s or early 00s. This particular issue can be solved, it's just an issue right now.

It's not an issue of who initiates contact, it's an issue of the defender being in Harden's space. Imo, it's a foul that should require an inbound, shouldn't be a shooting foul, but it's definitely not an offensive foul.

If this is s defensive foul on Patty Mills there is basically no way you can chase a player around a screen. It isn't even a matter of contact. Basketball is a game with contact absolutely. Not every single bump or push is a foul especially when you are in front of your man restricting his ability to go through you.

Mills is cutting off Harden's angle totally parallel with his movement with his hands up and away. You can't play defense better than that. This is a total no call.

I wish that we could send Harden, Griffin, CP3, and some of these other cheeseball players back into the '90s and make them try and pull that garbage on the Barkley, Malone, Oakley, Laimbeer, Payton, and Rodman players of the league. Griffin, Harden, and these other jokers would probably refuse to come out of the locker after halftime.

To draw fouls...

you have to be willing to take a ton of contact.

Modern player rest, train, and generally are far more on top of their health than those players.

They're also generally more athletic.

They would do better than most of the others

when the rules favor offense, it lets the little guys play the game

they already have a disadvantage

anything that lets giants with 10-foot wingspans play with their arms instead of requiring them to move their feet would ruin the game for everyone else

Charles Oakley and Laimbeer probably wouldn't be able to make a roster in today's NBA. Don't get me wrong, they were good players, but the players today are better and the game has changed.

This is an annoying thing, but it's important to remember that the game is a far better product than the 90s or early 00s. This particular issue can be solved, it's just an issue right now.

Tell that to Knicks fans and see what happens.

I'm sort of fine with Harden, but one kind of foul I've been noticing a lot in this post-season is a screen setter sort of pushing by moving his body sending the defender into the ball handler at the 3 point line, who will then flop like crazy and get the call. That's way more obnoxious.

Edit: I meant to say I'm fine with the regular Harden flop, but the one with the guy setting the screen is really aggravating.

ahoyle77

It's probably time to consider moving the line back. Biggest problem with that is you would have to widen the court a bit to extend the corner three. Not sure how feasible that would be. But the three is way to important in basketball now.

As a former high school ref, these calls would be tough in real time depending on the angle. I generally think the state of officiating is terrible, but what Harden does would be tough unless you have the right angle. The refs just need to quit calling anything but clear fouls with Harden and those like him, that would cut it out quick.

Squalor

but one kind of foul I've been noticing a lot in this post-season is a screen setter sort of pushing by moving his body sending the defender into the ball handler at the 3 point line, who will then flop like crazy and get the call. That's way more obnoxious.
So the Harden.

This is an NBA problem, not a Harden one. You can't call these ticky tact touch fouls near the basket and not call them because they're behind the 3pt line. This has been happening around the basket for years with body contact and rip throughs but Harden is doing from the 3 point line.

One of the reasons Harden is such a great offensive player is there's no good solution for the defense to stop him. Under the screen he shoots, over you either get left behind or he hits you with the rip, or switch and he puts weaker defenders in blender. The Moreyball/Dantoni system caused the spacing of the court that gives the Rockets this advantage.

I think the best solution is to call it on the floor and not give him the shots on the rip through. But you can't not call it if you're gonna give those call to players near the basket.

It's probably time to consider moving the line back. Biggest problem with that is you would have to widen the court a bit to extend the corner three. Not sure how feasible that would be. But the three is way to important in basketball now.

As a former high school ref, these calls would be tough in real time depending on the angle. I generally think the state of officiating is terrible, but what Harden does would be tough unless you have the right angle. The refs just need to quit calling anything but clear fouls with Harden and those like him, that would cut it out quick.

That only benefits the 3 point sharp-shooting teams even more. The Rockets have thrived due to the fact that they've been shooting 3s 2, 3, 4 feet out behind the 3 pt line, and can make them.

Apath

NBA needs to add embelishment calls like hockey. When there is blatant asshatery going on like in the Harden gif above, they should dish out heavy fines.

This shit makes the game worse for everyone.

NBA needs to add embelishment calls like hockey. When there is blatant asshatery going on like in the Harden gif above, they should dish out heavy fines.

This shit makes the game worse for everyone.

The guys that benefit the most from this arent gonna be harmed by a fine if it gives them an advantage in a crucial moment.

You move the line back youare gonna see Golden State amd Houston even more dominant. Steph, Durant and Klay can shoot the ball way the fuck out from the line. You want the splash triplets to be one of 10 players who can hit 40% from extended range?

What harden does is really hard to see in real time. We have replay and gifs and he does it all the time so we look for it. But that is tough to catch game speed on one take. The refs are better off just swallowing the whistle for the time being though I agree.

Wasn't there talk at one time of implementing a flopping review panel?

A fine for the offender plus a technical is applied to their total which could quickly add up to a suspension.

The issue is where the panel determines the line at trying to draw a foul and egregious flopping.

Vyer

Stars have been getting away with various tricks in the league throughout the modern history of the NBA. Either change the rules, or how they are enforced. Otherwise I don't fault the players who are capable of taking advantage from taking advantage.

If it's enough of a concern they'll even make a new rule to address it.

Otherwise complaints from fans don't mean much as they'll cheer (or just look the other way from) whatever little tricks their team does in the same breath.

That only benefits the 3 point sharp-shooting teams even more. The Rockets have thrived due to the fact that they've been shooting 3s 2, 3, 4 feet out behind the 3 pt line, and can make them.

I agree. Not to mention the fact that moving the line back would require widening the court a bit, which is all just going to add up to more space that defenses will have to try and cover.

We already have 4's and 5's showing on screens 26 feet from the basket and then trying to recover to their man, or, even worse, we have them switching and winding up one on one with the James Hardens and Steph Currys of the world. Moving the line back is just going to give offenses even more of an advantage. They're just going to set their illegal moving screens that much higher on the court.

Apath

The guys that benefit the most from this arent gonna be harmed by a fine if it gives them an advantage in a crucial moment.
That's why I said they need to add an embelishment call. Should be treated the same as three second violations and the like. Ie. Opponent gets a free throw and the ball.

Squalor

See my opinion on this is they are too loose with the continuation. He is bumped before he starts shooting, it should not be a shooting foul. This feeling contact and then starting to shoot doesn't make sense.
Except he's not bumped. He does the bumping.

That's why I said they need to add an embelishment call. Should be treated the same as three second violations and the like. Ie. Opponent gets a free throw and the ball.

I can just see all the embelishment calls on scrubs now. Would be glorious.

trembli0s

It's going to be really hard to fix this unless they call a non-shooting foul.

The problem is that players like Curry, KD, and Harden are simply the pinnacle of what the rules channel the game to: a 3 point bonanza.

Part of it is simply the fact that they can bury 3s from just about any point on the court.

rainz

Kids are gonna grow up watching Harden do this bullshit too. Can you even imagine what the future has in store?
Hopefully some of his incredible court vision, unselfish passing, and damn nice all around offensive game??
Guys who think this is all James has been doing are sleeping on him, as usual lol. Watch some freaking FULL games ffs, not just the shite you get fed on espn or a youtube video.

this is hardly just a Harden problem. I'm a hornets fan and batum would frequently draw fouls from 3. I've seen Westbrook catch people reaching, Curry does it, etc. And honestly if you're a defender going over a screen on a shooter you should know they're going to raise up if they feel contact.

Except the OP has statistical numbers that argue it's very much a Harden problem.

Except the OP has statistical numbers that argue it's very much a Harden problem.

If that's the case, can you really change the rules of the entire game for a single player? My opinion is no. Teams have to figure out how to play him until it becomes more of a widespread problem.

Boogs31

The big problem is that he gets calls when he grabs the defender, and then throws up the shot. That shit is fucking dumb and needs to be stopped some how.

https://streamable.com/ohz5p

Most of those plays are fouls on the defensive player. They aren't shooting fouls, but they are fouls. You can see that the defender puts their hand in to Harden's body which is a hand check. The refs don't call the hand check, but they will call the foul if there is contract on the offensive players arm when he's going into his shooting motion. Harden and other players have figured out that as soon as the defender gives them a hand check, they immediately go into their shot, which draws a shooting foul. The contract occurs before the shot. It should be a hand check.

If that's the case, can you really change the rules of the entire game for a single player? My opinion is no. Teams have to figure out how to play him until it becomes more of a widespread problem.

There is a whole website dedicated to players who single-handedly changed rules for everyone. Most notably, Wilt Chamberlain ushered in goaltending and free-throw reforms. Nipping something in the bud before it becomes more widespread is not a bad thing.

Boogs31

The officials are the problem here, not Harden or any other player. Professional athletes have shown time and time again that they'll do whatever it takes to gain an advantage. If the officials call something a foul on a consistent basis, why wouldn't a player try to get that call as often as possible? And in this specific case it's a matter of a hand check being called a 3 point shooting foul.

It's up to officials in all sports to stop giving advantages to players that are exaggerating contact, flopping and acting. I know soccer isn't the sport we're talking about here but I thought this was a good example of why players choose to flop or dive or exaggerate contact as opposed to doing the honorable thing and play it straight.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QWnh05gORyk

The player gets fouled (pushed) and it drastically impacts his ability to shoot. Instead of falling down and exaggerating the contact, he does his best to maintain his balance and get off the shot. This is a foul and the ref should call this a penalty. Instead, he doesn't and the player doing the right thing is punished.

If you are a player and you experience this or see it, it's a reasonable thing for them to say if I'm ever in that situation in the future, I'm going to exaggerate the contact because that gives me the most likely chance of getting the foul called.

Kids are gonna grow up watching Harden do this bullshit too. Can you even imagine what the future has in store?

I remember everyone crying last year that kids would grow up trying to imitate Steph and how awful that would be for the game. I guess this is much better, right guys?

Top Bottom