• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Grug

Incredibly frustrating isn't it. Tail just keeps wagging and our attack looks nowhere near as strong as it did yesterday.

We're got a few worries too... Lee hasn't been on the field all day, looks like an ankle problem and Symonds's knee is giving him hell.

Brave knock here by Duminy though, all credit to him.

master15

Frustrating doesn't sum it up. Doesn't sum it up.

And with Hussey looking like a 4 year old that's never played a cricket game in his life dare I say Australia with this fucking woeful performance just may have played themselves out of this game.

What.the.fuck.

Grug

master15 said:
Frustrating doesn't sum it up. Doesn't sum it up.

And with Hussey looking like a 4 year old that's never played a cricket game in his life dare I say Australia with this fucking woeful performance just may have played themselves out of this game.

What.the.fuck.

Bit harsh on Hussey I would have though, he's a proven classy fielder.

Ball just bobbed up at the perfect angle to get lost in the sun.

This wicket is an absolute batter's dream, but I bet our batsmen find a way to get out cheaply.

master15

Grug said:
Bit harsh on Hussey I would have though, he's a proven classy fielder.

Ball just bobbed up at the perfect angle to get lost in the sun.

This wicket is an absolute batter's dream, but I bet our batsmen find a way to get out cheaply.

Come on I'm a big Australian fan as the next guy but if you didn't think that moment made Hussey look ameutrish and extremely ugly...then I don't know. There's a reason the com box was completely silent because dare I say they'd never seen anything like that before.

And Duminy does look like a class act but would Nicolas please stop with the hyperbole. Comparisons to Lara...christ.

Grug

Brett Lee has a potential stress fracture according to ABC Radio.

If true, he won't be bowling the second inning. We're screwed. Not the ideal result for Australia, or cricket watchers in general.

Will kill the contest entirely.

Grug

master15 said:
Come on I'm a big Australian fan as the next guy but if you didn't think that moment made Hussey look ameutrish and extremely ugly...then I don't know. There's a reason the com box was completely silent because dare I say they'd never seen anything like that before.

Its got nothing to do with being an Australian fan or not. Do you honestly think Hussey would have not got within 3 metres of the ball if he could see it?

The commentators in the box can say everything they want, but it was clear Hussey lost sight of the ball, he had one hand up trying to cover his eyes.

Any cricketer in the history of the game looks amateurish and ugly under a skied ball into the sun.

Grug

master15 said:
I don't think I've ever seen a cricketer completely loose the ball and be so far away from the eventual catch like Hussey was just then.

I saw Allan Border do it twice in one day in a Sheffield Shield match vs NSW at the Gabba about 15 years ago.

Should have bet on South Africa when they were at 11-1. With Lee and Symonds injured and unable to bowl, Johnson, Siddle and Hauritz just won't have the stamina to take ten wickets to secure a victory.

Draw looks our best hope from here.

Grug

I can't stand people who make comments with the benefit of hindsight (like GAF's resident cricket troll for example) but you have to wonder how much consideration the selectors gave to Symonds' knee niggle which has know really blown up into something more severe.

Shane Watson sure would have been handy in hindsight. With Lee out you need an all-rounder to step up and provide a genuine bowling option, yet all we have is a crippled Andrew Symonds.

Match could very well have been lost at the selection table.

tri_willy

Grug said:
I can't stand people who make comments with the benefit of hindsight (like GAF's resident cricket troll for example) but you have to wonder how much consideration the selectors gave to Symonds' knee niggle which has know really blown up into something more severe.

Shane Watson sure would have been handy in hindsight. With Lee out you need an all-rounder to step up and provide a genuine bowling option, yet all we have is a crippled Andrew Symonds.

Match could very well have been lost at the selection table.

i could have sworn he would have been some sort of automatic selection or favouritism despite his ordinary form. watson has a much better chance once symo either falls out of favour with the selectors or if he retires. cant believe the major tail wag going on with the proteas, its even better than the aussies tail this innings

tri_willy

well its like as if SA just took out the choking tag from their necks and gave it to the aussies. itll add further insult if steyn pulls off a century

Holy shit. This is turning out to be one of the classic Test series. Great innings from Duminy, who's turning out to be a quality batsman. Only 50 odd First Class innings? South Africa have found someone special here. And what about Steyn? :lol

The game is back on. It sounds like a cliche by now, but whenever one side pulls away, the other comes right back. Superb cricket.

Grug

Tim the Wiz said:
Holy shit. This is turning out to be one of the classic Test series. Great innings from Duminy, who's turning out to be a quality batsman. Only 50 odd First Class innings? South Africa have found someone special here. And what about Steyn? :lol

The game is back on. It sounds like a cliche by now, but whenever one side pulls away, the other comes right back. Superb cricket.

If South Africa keep playing like this, they deserve the Number 1 ranking.

Grug

And we finally get them out. What an agonising day for the Australians.

Congratulations to Duminy though, what an amazing innings in only his second test, the Australian players were the first to go and offer their congratulations too. Good to see that there is some sportsmanship left in cricket.

Now we have to survive those horrible few overs before stumps. As if Hayden wasn't feeling the pressure already. Lets just say I'm not confident.

Cricket Australia to release a press statement about Brett Lee this evening. Doesn't sounds good.

Grug said:
Cricket Australia to release a press statement about Brett Lee this evening. Doesn't sounds good.

Yeah, he's got a stress fracture in his ankle. Bad news for him, and bad news for Australia with Clark out and with Symonds also injured. Now they can bring in Watson or Hilfenhaus or (yes, I know, wishful thinking) Nathan fucking Bracken in for the SCG Test without losing face. Of course, Hayden or Symonds could also be dropped depending on their second innings form, but I doubt it.

In a fantastical world where everything was done the way I wanted, I'd like to see Australia field this side (after Hayden retires):

Haddin
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Watson
Lee
Johnson
Hauritz
Bracken

As for South Africa, they might be tempted to drop McKenzie in favour of keeping Duminy in the XI if Prince recovers from his injury. If they did that, they'd probably push AB de Villiers back up to opening with Smith and give Prince his spot in the order. Another option is having Amla as an opener, although Kallis really doesn't want the number three spot back. However, they should definitely keep Duminy at number six, he's perfect there in a way that Sourav Ganguly was in his prime. You thought you'd cracked through the best of the batting and here comes an excellent technical player who's tough to get out but never stops looking to score. South Africa's batting is going to be immeasurably dangerous in the years to come. Amla, Smith, Duminy, and De Villiers are all well below 30 years of age at this point.

tri_willy

Tim the Wiz said:
Yeah, he's got a stress fracture in his ankle. Bad news for him, and bad news for Australia with Clark out and with Symonds also injured. Now they can bring in Watson or Hilfenhaus or (yes, I know, wishful thinking) Nathan fucking Bracken in for the SCG Test without losing face. Of course, Hayden or Symonds could also be dropped depending on their second innings form, but I doubt it.

In a fantastical world where everything was done the way I wanted, I'd like to see Australia field this side (after Hayden retires):

Haddin
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Watson
Lee
Johnson
Hauritz
Bracken

As for South Africa, they might be tempted to drop McKenzie in favour of keeping Duminy in the XI if Prince recovers from his injury. If they did that, they'd probably push AB de Villiers back up to opening with Smith and give Prince his spot in the order. Another option is having Amla as an opener, although Kallis really doesn't want the number three spot back. However, they should definitely keep Duminy at number six, he's perfect there in a way that Sourav Ganguly was in his prime. You thought you'd cracked through the best of the batting and here comes an excellent technical player who's tough to get out but never stops looking to score. South Africa's batting is going to be immeasurably dangerous in the years to come. Amla, Smith, Duminy, and De Villiers are all well below 30 years of age at this point.

not a bad near future lineup detective gumshoe, however the middle order is a bit suspect given that there have been guys like hussey, ponting and symonds who havnt performed as expected this year. given that watson hasnt fully coped as a test player weakens the once invincible aura that australia once had. i'd like to see australia give mike hussey a rest since his batting form has been a worry for the aussies. pup clarke was also under an injury cloud so im guessing that the aussies wont be at full strength until the south african tour.

in regards to the 2nd test, amazing fightback from duminy and the tail, hope haydos nails a 2nd innings century.

master15

And Australia's absolutely shocking performance yesterday has continued. 3 down, already and still in deficet, as I suspected after having endured probably worst performance I've seen in an Australian side, in a decade or more they pretty much lost the game and any advantage then and there.

Real shame Haydos just couldn't push through he hit a couple of nice boundaries but as the commentators were saying was simply going to hard and at the wrong balls. I guess it may be all over for him.

tri_willy

steyn really giving the aussies are hard time here, he has been the difference in bowling wise not to mention his handy 76 was a thorn in the aussie bowling. punter looking great again whilst the middle order fails once again.

artist

Banned
53.1 Ntini to Haddin, OUT, edged and taken! Ntini gets into the action with a full ball just outside off stump and sucks Haddin forward, the ball bounces a shade and Haddin's wide shot goes nowhere but into the safe hands of Kallis at second slip
BJ Haddin c Kallis b Ntini 10 (35b 0x4 1x6) SR: 28.57

SA going for the jugular ...

tri_willy

if ponting loses his wicket by end of 4th day's play, proteas win series. its a bit of a big call, but thats how im seeing it

master15

Sort of fitting in a weird way Pointing got out for 99. Totally deserved another ton but just the way the test match and certainly odds are going Australia's way it could have been expected.

santouras

master15 said:
Sort of fitting in a weird way Pointing got out for 99. Totally deserved another ton but just the way the test match and certainly odds are going Australia's way it could have been expected.
heartbreaking is more the term I was thinking of

well he averaged 100 perfectly across both innings...

Grug

master15 said:

I've never seen so many things go wrong for one team in one match.

Melbourne Forecast for Tuesday

Cloudy. The chance of thunderstorms during the morning. Areas of rain easing to isolated showers by the afternoon. Winds northwesterly averaging up to 30 km/h tending southwesterly up to 45 km/h during the morning.

Only the weather can save us now. :lol

Puck

Banned
Ahahaha.
We're goooooooooone.
SA being super aggressive in their awesome run chase of 183. Smith is hitting them as though they are high school kids casually bowling.
Our bowling has been absolutely pathetic the whole summer. Lee's got nothing. Siddle's got nothing. None of the bowlers are worth anything. No intimidation and skill for us anymore.

SA are peaking in batting and bowling which is amazing. They deserve the #1 test spot, we should be back down with England.

Grug

Puck said:
SA are peaking in batting and bowling which is amazing. They deserve the #1 test spot, we should be back down with England.

Steady on. We're going through a very rough form patch, had to happen after 15 years of sheer dominance.

As for being down with England! Hah. We'll be ranked 2nd after this test series if we lose all 3 matches, and that's exactly where we deserve to be right now. No higher, no lower.

Expect some big team changes for the third test. Some forced by injury, others not.

Watson in for Symonds is a certainty.

Someone has to come in for Lee. I'm guessing Hilfenhaus (sorry to the Bracken fans).

Hayden may have played his last test and if it wasn't for the wholesale changes already likely, even Hussey might have been considered for a 'rest'. Phillip Hughes from New South Wales looks to be first in line for a crack at Hayden's spot.

santouras

can someone explain to me what kind of advantage you get by bowling another 30cm closer to the batter? Why o freaking why do pace bowlers get caught doing front foot no balls. Should be taken out the back and freaking shot!

tri_willy

seems like celebrations are in the order for the south africans just after lunch on the 5th day unless someone pulls off a magical hax in the aussie bowling which is unlikely given how crap they have been. heck i'd even like to see katich given a part time bowl over useless pup anytime

when the aussies tour south africa again this is the 15 man squad i reckon that the selectors would take into consideration.

hayden/hughes
katich
ponting
clarke
hussey
symonds/watson
haddin
hauritz/krezja
lee
johnson
siddle/hilfenhaus

should hayden somehow perform god like in the 3rd test he should be considered for the tour unless the continued slump would more likely warrant hughes selection. the middle order is the main issue given hussey and symonds have been in terrible form with the bat as of late and watson is greatly considered to take over symonds who is also under an injury cloud, but has yet to fully convince selectors of his batting.i'd like to david hussey at least be considered should mike be 'rested'. dont be surprised if there is a continued exchange of using krezja and hauritz through the tests unless either one can pull off a bag of wickets at a very economical rate. lee is expected to be recovered by the start of the tour whilst siddle and hilfenhaus will be fighting for the no.11 spot under the assumption if lee is fully fit for the SA tour.

santouras

I wouldn't be surprised to see hayden not make the 3rd test. Especially if we lose today, there's going to be no reason not to trial someone else out early. Having said that tho, this is cricket australia and their youth blooding policy is completely nonsensical so who knows.

Grug

And just when things could not get any worse... Shane Watson has been diagnosed with stress fractures in his back again and will miss another 6 months.

We need John Safran to sacrifice a chicken at the MCG.

master15

Christ when things aren't going your way they really aren't.

Hearing Watson will be out likley for the next 6 months is just awful given that he was just getting into some form and arguably could have been included in the last two games. I guess his body just can't handle the load :( (Shame because I really changed my opinion of him mainly thanks to his attitude and performance in IPL).

Well done to Saffers

tri_willy

saffers with the epic win. steyn the main catalyst of the proteas victory along with smithy's batting from the 2 test matches.

Grug

Didn't catch the end. Who got Man of the Match?

Duminy and Steyn both deserve it.

In other cricket related discussion, I got Adam Gilchrist's autobiography as an Xmas gift... great read so far.

Man I miss this guy.

tri_willy

steyn man of the match with his 76 and 10 wicket haul. congrats on the proteas for a comprehensive swipe at the aussies so far. seems like smithy's info gathering from warney was quite useful although info remains to be known. imo, i dont mind the proteas beating the aussies at home, beats having india trying to win a series here despite their decent efforts.

looks like a major re-jig is in order for the aussies. sadly, it seems to be the end of haydos. lee gone. i think hauritz or siddle should get replaced. hilfenhaus in, tait an outside chance if he's not injured :D

tri_willy

bollinger and macdonald come into the play/fray for the aussies. i smell a high level of nsw favouritism for bollinger over lee (guess it really was eye for an eye in regards to state cricketers) and for several reasons do not entirely approve of his inclusion into the team.

- 2 left arm pacemen??? first time in a long time???
- not sure of bollinger's bowling but hilfy can swing the ball
- hilfy has a better first class record than bolli
- hauritz will fuck up
- there needs to be at least 5 new south welshman in the aussie lineup (yes thats right! i dont hate nsw or bollinger, it seems to be the case a lot of the time)

hilfy must be wondering what the further fuck does he have to do to earn a good call up to the national side. even a injury/depression free fully fit tait would be a better pick than bollinger imo. i'll make a far call and declare the game will be a draw if the aussies are lucky or the proteas win. my two cents worth

Grug

I'm not 100 percent sold on Bollinger, but you don't need to worry about his ability to swing the ball. He can.

Its exciting to see some new blood get introduced though, will be interesting to watch.

The important thing to remember is that finding the next generation isn't going to be without its bumpy moments... we just need to grin and bear it while our selectors see what the next crop can do.

master15

Yeah it's been said many times but the selectors have got to show some consistency here with their selections. International experience and certainly performance doesn't just come over night, it's gained and worked at.

I haven't seen Aussie domestic league in a long time so I really don't know many of these new guys, but I just hope that there's some consistency with the selection policy going forward. Also hoping Haydos can find some runs.

Matthew Hayden will play a crucial part of this match. If he fails to fire in both innings, South Africa will take it. Katich, Ponting and Clarke can't hold the innings up by themselves. McDonald and Hussey need to step up as well. The bowling will be interesting to watch. It could really fall over here, or the debutantes could bring in something special.

Smith is playing through his injury again. The guy is seriously balls of steel. McKenzie will possibly be starting for the second time against Australia in good nick after his knock at the MCG. Amla and co. in the middle order will be looking to star, but Kallis merely needs little over 50 runs to raise his claim to being one of the great Test all-rounders by achieving 10,000, over 250 wickets and over 100 catches.

Cricket on a Saturday morning, what more could you ask for?

Fredescu

tri_willy said:
i smell a high level of nsw favouritism for bollinger over lee
Do you mean Bollinger over Hilfenhaus, since Lee is out through injury? Hilfenhaus had a poor season last year, mostly through back injury. That same season Bollinger was the leading wicket taker getting 45 at 15. I still don't understand why Siddle, the Victorian, was picked ahead of him. He had a couple of good spells, and provided some great comedy when he didn't realise he bowled someone, but in the end our bowling let us down in both tests. It's hard to claim NSW favouritism when looking at the stats Bollinger should have been in the side before Siddle.

tri_willy

he edged one, luckily it didnt carry to smithy. on the other hand, katich is off to a good start. hang in there haydos!!!

Top Bottom